test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Andorian Chapter

With the coming of the Cardassian revamp I was thinking that we really don't have too many missions in our own backyard. Andoria for example seems like just some snowy, abandoned planet. I do hope that there are plans to have some missions made for that area as well as some other areas like possibly Wolf 359 (and hopefully Betazed). I guess I am thinking that a story arc that would involve these seemingly abandoned maps would bring some new life into it. Anyone else have a planet they would like to see get revamped or made for a story arc?
"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)

Comments

• Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    I would like to see subterranean Andoria. All the Andorians live underground - I wonder what they do all day down there. I bet they party so hard they put Drozana to shame.
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    I dont think they really need any story arcs added. Maybe some small minor quests like you find on the New Romulus Adventure Zone with some repeatable dailies. Story Arcs typically come and go so people would only show up there whenever that new mission appeared and whenever it was required for them to repeat it. But if it was something along the lines of maybe a Federation Founders Rep etc. Where they had to go to places like Andoria and Vulcan to complete some minor quests that then gave them rep marks. Theyd be there over an extended period of time. And anyone creating new characters would have a reason to spend some time there. Add in some more things to interact with, vendors and such. You might see some more activity there.
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I dont think they really need any story arcs added. Maybe some small minor quests like you find on the New Romulus Adventure Zone with some repeatable dailies. Story Arcs typically come and go so people would only show up there whenever that new mission appeared and whenever it was required for them to repeat it. But if it was something along the lines of maybe a Federation Founders Rep etc. Where they had to go to places like Andoria and Vulcan to complete some minor quests that then gave them rep marks. Theyd be there over an extended period of time. And anyone creating new characters would have a reason to spend some time there. Add in some more things to interact with, vendors and such. You might see some more activity there.

I think I like your idea better ! The only thing that would be a concern is yet another reputation grind. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they offered consoles that were equal or better than Plasmonic Leech or Red Matter Capacitor for example. It would be cool though to add those mini quests like in New Romulas (and maybe see those underground cities like Kamiyama317 mentioned!).
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User

I think I like your idea better ! The only thing that would be a concern is yet another reputation grind. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they offered consoles that were equal or better than Plasmonic Leech or Red Matter Capacitor for example. It would be cool though to add those mini quests like in New Romulas (and maybe see those underground cities like Kamiyama317 mentioned!).

Unfortunately Reps are here to stay. And they typically take the most of our in game time to tackle.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Unfortunately Reps are here to stay. And they typically take the most of our in game time to tackle.

Be happy you have rep some games use the RNG to determine when you get rewards.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Andoria is pretty boring as it is. They should set the Winter Wonderland event on Andoria sometime. It would give them a reason to make a new map, the same way they did Risa.
  • Options
    Andoria is pretty boring as it is. They should set the Winter Wonderland event on Andoria sometime. It would give them a reason to make a new map, the same way they did Risa.

I'm not so sure about that. Andoria , like Risa has it's race and history. Risa a pleasure planet would naturally have most of the bells and whistles you would get by going to a very expensive resort and more. You're not really getting anything outside of the norm there on Risa. If Q would show up in Andoria with his Winter Wonderland, I think we would miss out on the main story of the planet (or the story the developers would want to work on if there was a future project).

I don't blame anyone for associating a snow planet with a possible area for a winter event but I think in the case of Andoria there is far more potential for unique missions and story.
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    I agree.

We heard of an Andoria Revamp, moving antennae and Ushaan melee weapons.

I think they should release it all together.

They could monetize from a T6 Kumari, adding Ushaan Tor to the Melee Pack and Imperial Guard Uniforms.
    The Andorian commbadge has already been realized but never released.

I want to walk the underground cities, engage in melee duel purchasing a Ushaan Tor and do quests around.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User

They could monetize from a T6 Kumari, adding Ushaan Tor to the Melee Pack and Imperial Guard Uniforms.
    The Andorian commbadge has already been realized but never released.

jbk24X0.jpg​​
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I would love to see more Andorian stuff. Missions on their planet, uniforms options, ground weapons, allow your ship to offer Andorian Ale.

My Delta Recruit is an Andorian, so this will go great with the theme I'm going for.
    Post edited by farmallm on
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Why Andorians...same can be said about multiple races...heck a lot of races don't even have homeworlds...what about them?

Just think the last thing the game needs right now is a little fluff that 98% of the players probably would ignore...
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Why Andorians...same can be said about multiple races...heck a lot of races don't even have homeworlds...what about them?

Just think the last thing the game needs right now is a little fluff that 98% of the players probably would ignore...

True others needs stuff too. But you got to start somewhere.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Excellent suggestion. A mini-arc of two or three repeatable Andorian missions would be great. Perhaps a trek to the polar regions, (where transporters aren't working due to coronal interference,) to meet the Aenar for some reason. Perhaps the discovery and return of a religious artifact, or the cure for a telepathic disease motivates the player character's trip.
  • Options
    firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Why andorians specially, why no Vulcans or Tellerites as well?

and the KDF?

Naussicans need more complexity then just being pirates or even more depth to the gorn, heck Orions needed it as well.

But why Andorians alone?
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Yes. 100%. My personal favourite would be an adventure zone with small side stories. You'd have the main Andorian city, the surface and the Aenar city. Set it as a post-war 60+ zone with a theme of rebuilding (open to Klingons and Romulans as a result who would have slightly different missions in some areas) and maybe taking a few ideas from the books about Andorian terrorists/secessionists and I think there is a lot of material to go on. I love the Andorians and we don't have a cold weather zone yet.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Vulcans have some of this already. There's a pre-LOR diplomatic mission on Vulcan that delves into the Vulcan-Romulan Sundering. But that could and should be expanded.

As for the Tellarites, there's almost nothing in the canon about them, other than loving to argue. Cryptic would have to either make it all up or dig into the ENT Relaunch books, and I'm not completely certain what the current license says about novel references. (@pwlaughingtrendy, think you could step in here?)
    Naussicans need more complexity then just being pirates or even more depth to the gorn, heck Orions needed it as well.
    Agreed. It'd force Cryptic to actually acknowledge that not everybody in the KDF is a trigger-happy tlhIngan Hol-spamming lunatic. Not to mention forcing the TNG Klingon fanbois to directly face the fact that they're allies of the mafia.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    I suggested Andoria first simply because it was the first place that came to mind really. I don't know how possible it would be to have a New Romulas type scenario come about where you had this massive map with different missions although I would applaud something like that happening. With time restraints and other projects in the works it may be a long time before we see something like this come about.

I do think though Andoria would be a nice place to start. We got to see more of the planet from the Enterprise series and some idea of how they act. It may be that there will be a difference in that as we are further up the time line but still there are some roots or ground work to start with.

All these other species mentioned (Tellerites , Orion, Naussicans, etc) I would love to see their homeworlds as well, but as someone said before , we have to start somewhere. As far as incentive goes, I am sure the game developers could find something to keep us coming back , whether it is Reputation, consoles/weapons, or some dilithium/energy credit sink, there's always something.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Vulcans have some of this already. There's a pre-LOR diplomatic mission on Vulcan that delves into the Vulcan-Romulan Sundering. But that could and should be expanded.

As for the Tellarites, there's almost nothing in the canon about them, other than loving to argue. Cryptic would have to either make it all up or dig into the ENT Relaunch books, and I'm not completely certain what the current license says about novel references. (@pwlaughingtrendy, think you could step in here?)
    Agreed. It'd force Cryptic to actually acknowledge that not everybody in the KDF is a trigger-happy tlhIngan Hol-spamming lunatic. Not to mention forcing the TNG Klingon fanbois to directly face the fact that they're allies of the mafia.
    Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about the rules revolving around creative licenses for novels with CBS + Cryptic. That's a territory I hadn't considered.
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This sounds like a fantastic idea, small adventure zones themed around different home worlds.

For Andoria, add some cold weather variant gear in the Odyssey, Republic and Bortas styles. Along with the Andorian cultural gear, Ushan, Imperial Guard uniforms and insignia. All to explore the frozen wastelands and underground cities. Bring in Captain Shon as an NPC that best represents the courage and warrior spirit of the Andorian people in game.

Vulcan could include desert variant gear, Vulcan clothing and themed Lirpa. Travel into the desert, cross The Forge to find ancient temples and knowledge to bring the Vulcan and Romulan people closer to reunification. This could also be a chance to bring in Admiral Tuvok again, he's been excellent in STO so far and his gravitas and vulcanity would really add to the feeling of exploring an ancient culture.

Tellar Prime could just be a huge room where folks disagree with each other, loudly. Or a chance for Cryptic to flex their creativity and fill in a history for founding civilization that hasn't been hit but too much Canon.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    The "problem" is pretty much all of their missions are now faction neutral, so depending on where this arc would go in the journal, it wouldn't make sense for some factions to be there.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about the rules revolving around creative licenses for novels with CBS + Cryptic. That's a territory I hadn't considered.

Some ideas have clearly been taken from the novels though, so at the very least inspiration seems to be ok.

• Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    I remember various devs saying they'd love to revamp Federation core worlds, but it's unlikely due to the needed time and resources. So how about this, why not let Foundry authors create missions? There could be a contest for each world were players vote on their favorite ones. However, instead of these missions going into the Featured tab of the Foundry window, perhaps they could all be added as official missions?
    y1arXbh.png

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ^^Yeah, I was going to say, Cryptic borrowed heavily from Rihannsu, Spock's World, and Vulcan's Soul for the Romulans, the pre-Hobus Romulan political crisis is borrowed from Star Trek: Titan and Articles of the Federation, and some of the KDF story makes references to the Klingon Empire series (one member of the Bortasqu's senior staff is identified as a QaS DevwI', a senior NCO title from the IKS Gorkon miniseries). That's just off the top of my head.

The real question is, do they have carte blanche to use Pocket Books material, or do they have to get individual permission when they go to write something.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2015

When Tellarites get expanded upon, they NEED nanopulse-edge battle axes. Big, two-handed ones.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Tellar Prime! Tellar Prime! *clenches claw and oinks*​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sle1989 wrote: »
    I remember various devs saying they'd love to revamp Federation core worlds, but it's unlikely due to the needed time and resources. So how about this, why not let Foundry authors create missions? There could be a contest for each world were players vote on their favorite ones. However, instead of these missions going into the Featured tab of the Foundry window, perhaps they could all be added as official missions?

I have a question with this, has any mission from the foundry ever been used in the missions we currently play? I cannot see any complications if that was the case considering that anything in the game is property of Cryptic. The players could come up with some mission models that the developers could review and see which is the best for their needs and tweak them (job security and all) or have a player contest as my esteemed colleague mentioned.

I think it would cut down on time and resources to make such missions and also I do believe it would improve on community relations as well as an added resource the developers could use.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I have a question with this, has any mission from the foundry ever been used in the missions we currently play? (...)

No. And hopefully it won't ever happen. The moment they let the players design their own official missions we crossed a line. The foundry can and will never be a substitute for official content.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

No. And hopefully it won't ever happen. The moment they let the players design their own official missions we crossed a line. The foundry can and will never be a substitute for official content.​​

Forgive me , but is what you state is based on a canon/no canon position? I only ask this because I could see this as one of the reasons why some players would not a mission that was originally designed by a fellow player. As far as I know though the only difference between a developer and a player made mission is that one is getting paid to do it and the other does it for free (or possibly with a prize reward if it is possible).

At the end of the day it would be the developers that would do any final tweaking of the mission made by the player or adding content to the mission.

Don't get me wrong, your concerns have merit but I do believe some middle ground can be achieved where all concerned parties could be satisfied.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I wonder if we could get the Andorians to wipe out the Tellarites and Ferengi and the other minor races so we don't have to develop their planets.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!