test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting frequent disconnects

I normally have a great connection to STO. Sure I lag sometimes, and I even disconnect once in a great while, but I've never gotten disconnected 5 times in a row like I have today. It won't stop. I log in, I get maybe 30 to 60 seconds to do not a whole lot, and then I get disconnected. If I log back in, the same thing happens.

I don't think it's my connection. I can connect to different websites in my browser just fine, run Steam just fine, and I ran a test on speedtest.net and got this:

4660769497.png

21 Mbps is actually a good day for me. While we pay for 20 I usually get around 15. My ping is a little high but I'm on wireless. No it's not the best connection in the world, but I should be able to play STO fine with it.

Comments

• xxtakunixxxxtakunixx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    same here keep getting disconnected was good all morning but now getting lots of dcs. ofcourse its during a bonus event so i can't really do event stuff. i guess i will try again in a few hours.
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Disconects are happening for everyone today my fleet members are all getting it as well as chat off line and very long and freaquent server not responding
  • buffer4buffer4 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    They just poseted on their Twitter Page the the Servers are gettings attacks that are causing the issues and are working to correct the issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    FFS, this is getting ridiculous.
  • sacam1sacam1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Also experiencing lag and recent disconnect issues thanks for posting the twitter response.
  • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    buffer4 wrote: »
    They just poseted on their Twitter Page the the Servers are gettings attacks that are causing the issues and are working to correct the issues.

The same message appears on the game launcher itself. I have to admit, that's a pretty creative EXCUSE as to WHY the server is down...again

• hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Evertime cryptic runs a special we get long periods of disconnects. True story bro. Honest.
    It's lagging out so much that I can't even beam off the Vlugta Asteroid.
  • omega4728omega4728 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    FFS - what a coincidence that we have a huge event running and just this sunday the STO servers are being "attacked".

I'll tell it over and over again: STO servers arent sized enough to handle loads of players. There is no attack but simply alot of players who come online.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    alot of players who come online IS an attack.

;)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    omega4728 wrote: »
    FFS - what a coincidence that we have a huge event running and just this sunday the STO servers are being "attacked".

I'll tell it over and over again: STO servers arent sized enough to handle loads of players. There is no attack but simply alot of players who come online.

More so, it's that they host ALL their games on the same server.
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I was getting worried that it was just me. My game was all fine and good until I go to play a freaking mission and then just before I finish the one part, I disconnect. Now, I don't have great internet, Americans will understand when I say I have Mediacom (ugh) but this is extreme even for TRIBBLE wireless internet. One of these days, do you think the dev team will fix anything?
  • buffer4buffer4 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The Servers just got attacked for a second time today. That is why your getting disconnects from the game.
    The Servers just got attacked for a second time today. That is why your getting disconnects from the game.

Yup. I'd also bet money that these "attacks" will conveniently stop at the exact same time that the bonus event ends. Cryptic can get so creative when it comes to making excuses as to why the server is down for the millionth time in a week. It's too bad they can't channel that creativity into actually FIXING a problem that they KNOW exists.
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Lol a lot of you guys might not know of what a DDOS is. It's a Distributed Denial Of Service. It's basically where a group of computers group together and are constantly streaming data and information to the servers with the intent to crash it. This is usually what signs are seen when that happens-lag and disconnects. Thus, it's more than likely the cause here, and I seriously doubt that Cryptic will crash their own game servers. So before you all jump down on Cryptic, EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Also, the game is back up now.
    Post edited by ronanobrien on
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Maybe the next time they have a weekend event I will be able to participate?
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2015

It all depends on if some idiot decides to DDOS the server then. It's not Cryptic. They would not delve into playing games with their own servers that drip of sheer idiocy on THIS level. Why? A DDOS would only be done if someone had the intent of CRASHING their server. Doubt that Cryptic would intentionally crash the server that just so happens to run their GAME WITH THE BIGGEST PLAYER BASE. That is by no means saying that they have not made questionable decisions in the past. But what incorporated business doesn't?
    edited September 2015
    The little warning on the launcher is back up. I guess the nerd or nerds responsible for this, just found an unlimited supply of personal lubricant and tissues, because they just can't seem to get enough of whatever they're doing.

"I'm gonna crash the STO server!!!! Oh this is gonna be good!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHH YEEEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!"
  • cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User

I have two computers. On one STO is installed under Steam and on the other its installed under ARC. When I log in with the Steam system I get no message about said "attacks". And I can play fine. But when I log in with ARC, or try to log in... and I don't always succeed, I have nothing but trouble.

Not sure why there is a difference. But I'm about to uninstall the ARC version.

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User

It all depends on if some idiot decides to DDOS the server then. It's not Cryptic. They would not delve into playing games with their own servers that drip of sheer idiocy on THIS level. Why? A DDOS would only be done if someone had the intent of CRASHING their server. Doubt that Cryptic would intentionally crash the server that just so happens to run their GAME WITH THE BIGGEST PLAYER BASE. That is by no means saying that they have not made questionable decisions in the past. But what incorporated business doesn't?

Do you even know what a DDOS means? wow the ignorance.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
    ​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Hey, guys, in case you're just getting on for the day or your launcher doesn't say anything, Cryptic's got another server attack on their hands. Maybe upgraded security should be a thought for them instead of churning out these new episodes constantly.
  • jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    anyone able to get past the character screen ? mine just hangs up then just disconnects
  • liberatrixliberatrix Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Lol a lot of you guys might not know of what a DDOS is. It's a Distributed Denial Of Service. It's basically where a group of computers group together and are constantly streaming data and information to the servers with the intent to crash it. This is usually what signs are seen when that happens-lag and disconnects. Thus, it's more than likely the cause here, and I seriously doubt that Cryptic will crash their own game servers. So before you all jump down on Cryptic, EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Also, the game is back up now.

OR... and more probably... a large group of gamers are trying to access the game at the same time, a heavy amount of gamers, an amount the Servers are ill equipped to service all at once, and so, the disconnects.

Another possibility is that the routing method for select time-periods is less-than-ideal, and triggers some of the disconnects. During prime work hours there may be no issues, but during off hours when alternate routing and servers are used, they are less dependable or even sometimes programmed to reject long term connections to certain addresses.

Or another way to put it... during say 6am to 8pm you are driving on a major 4 lane highway, and from 9pm to 5am you are stuck on the back roads which are undergoing construction.

To be honest, I think it is a mix of both... add to that any real viruses and the EGPal spammers wasting valuable space during peak hours and you have your recipe for most disconnects.

In this galaxy there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in the universe, three million million galaxies like this.
  • cadgarcadgar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Problem is (at least for me) a problem at the Zayo.com to Above.net handoff.
    Of course tech support keeps saying its a connection issue with our ISP..even though they've been out to check and cleared everything TWICE and have ZERO packet loss on any tests.

STO_packet_loss.png

I dunno... I've only been a Sr. Network Engineer for 17 years...I sure as hell don't know anything about IP protocols.... seriously Cyptic...fix it. It isn't a client issue. Jesus....

Psst..
    https://www.cloudflare.com/ddos
  • liberatrixliberatrix Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    cadgar wrote: »

I dunno... I've only been a Sr. Network Engineer for 17 years...I sure as hell don't know anything about IP protocols.... seriously Cyptic...fix it. It isn't a client issue. Jesus....

I think the bottom line is that if you can play every other MMO and video site without constant disconnects, that pretty much proves that the problem doesn't originate with you or your provider.... so it comes down to STO and its techs, servers, etc.

In this galaxy there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in the universe, three million million galaxies like this.
  • rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    I'm getting frequent Server Not Responding messages, I'm not even getting in game for 2mins or more, if even that.
    tried both EU and US proxys... both equally as terrible as the other.
    please do something.

UK player...

RachelJ88
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    i cant even get the launcher started it keep giving me an patcher error saying the server cant be reached​​
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, whatever "network maintenance" y'all did made the lag and disconnects worse than ever for me. The game is just barely playable, when it's playable at all. The other online games I play (besides Neverwinter, another Cryptic game) work fine.

Y'all are moving in the wrong direction, here, Cryptic/PWE :(
  • yltylt Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Sure sure, of course they're being attacked, what a wonderful excuse to use.
  • starter2014starter2014 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Keep getting bumped offline, try to log back in, and get server disconnect on character list.

I suppose the attack is ongoing then?
    (sarcasm... In case it was missed)