test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New SF series (Dark Matter, Killjoys, Defiance...) - anyone from forum watching those?

sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
Ok, as the title of thread says I'm interested if anyone besides me is watching these new great SF series? And what do you think of them?

Defiance: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/
Dark Matter: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4159076/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Killjoys: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3952222/?ref_=nv_sr_4

Which one has the most potential? Which one do you prefer? What you think of their casts? ... - these are all the question I would like you to answer on, but since I'm thread creator, I'll do my review first. I'm not going to spoil you anything in case you haven't watched the show yet, but I'll try to give the best insight in them that I can.

Defiance: Currently the best SF show running. The last season (3) was absolutely amazing. The characters are great, diverse and that post-apocalyptic setting with relationships and problems between humans and votans is excellent. Two main characters and others as well are truly convincing in their roles and all of the actors are doing their job very well. The only weak point in the series is that second season was a bit slow and boring at the moments, but the other two are very good. And while there are still no news if SyFy is going to renew series for another (4th) season, I'm hoping they will do that. Also, I must admit that show became so good in the last season that I actually installed the game Defiance which so far seems pretty decent too. I hope they will even improve it and renew show for at least another if not more seasons. Long live Defiance!

Dark Matter: Since there is only one season of it out, this show has a lot potential to become truly great. Maybe even in rank with some older famous SF shows like Stargate, Farscape, BSG and others alike. At first look DM seems like one of trashy SF shows, but as it goes further it becomes better and better with each passing episode. The last episode ends with massive cliffhanger and now I really miss new episodes and can't wait for the next year's season 2. It will be a long wait, but I know that it is going to be worth it. You might find it strange why I'm giving such high hopes to this show, but as I said, that is because it gets more better with every next episode and main characters already got ''under my skin''. And it is also worth mentioning that this show is produced by creators of Stargate which is today one of the greatest and most famous SF shows. Besides all of that, the show is set on a spaceship, and last time we had such show was several years ago before it was abruptly cancelled after only two freaking seasons (yes, I'm talking about Stargate Universe), so this is definitely refreshing for science fiction and its fans.

Killjoys: Besides Dark Matter, this is second show set in space or to be more precise in system with 4 different planets and a grim while at the same time fun storyline. At first look, just like Dark Matter this show also seems somewhat trashy, but it isn't actually. In the matter of fact, Killjoys just like DM are getting more better with each episode. Three main characters and and recurring ones too are very likable and convincing. Effects are pretty decent and the whole setting is very interesting. Like DM, season 1 of Killjoys ends with big cliffhanger too and season 2 is going to come next year. And there are at least 3 more seasons in plan which is truly great.

Now that I'm done with my short reviews I'm going to let you discuss about it and give me your impressions about these new promising science fictions series. I'm also hoping I've given decent insight in shows for those who haven't seen them yet, but would like too. My recommendation to those is to go for it. You won't be disappointed.
FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
SZ1RgUL.jpg
SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Does it show up on network TV? If not, I physically can't watch it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,041 Community Moderator
    They're on SyFy Channel.

And where do you think I got the word Shtako from. ^^

Anyways... final season of Haven is coming up soon. And I sear they are reusing the old Stargate: Universe sets for Dark Matter from what little I saw.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I've watched one and a half season of Defiance and got bored. I've watched the pilot of Killjoys : bad acting, bad sets, bad CGI. But the first season of Dark Matter was very good imho, with a very good plot and charismatic actors.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Defiance isn't new, is it? I am watching all 3. I first thought that from the two new ones, Dark matter looked weakest, but it grew on me. They don't just build up mysteries, they don't shy away from answering questions and raising new ones, which might suggest the writers know where they are going.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I haven't been able to see Season Three of Defiance due to a change in our satellite subscription, but I loved Seasons One and Two, and as soon as I have the means to catch up on Season Three, I will be doing so... <3 Stahma Tarr <3
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    I havent been able to get into defiance... too many shows at that time... Killjoy was awful acting and I couldn't get into it...

Dark Matter though... I was a bit concerned during the first few minutes, not exactly the best opener but... it was an interesting premise so I stayed and turned out it was a good thing I did. I loved Dark Matter. Good plot, it's actually an unusual premise.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    Love dark matter
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    Watch all three. Love Defiance and I hope it gets renewed. The characters are excellent and last season was easily the best.

Dark Matter gets better as the season goes on and even though the budget is a little lacking at times it has the potential to be up there with the best if they do it right. Wish they had some aliens in it but I get the feeling that will come in time.

Not seen kill joys yet but I am looking forward to seeing the Expanse in December.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I have no interest in any of those particular shows, but I love HAVEN and of course they cancelled it.
    I tried to watch Dominion, but it's too soapopera-ish for my tastes.

This isn't an advertisement but, If anyone is interested, one can watch any of the shows listed above (and many others) by streaming them at StreamTV (Google it).
    It's only a hosting site (doesn't actually upload the shows) and if you use adblock-plus it works fairly reliably with no virus worries.
    I've only got a basic cable subscription, but manage to see all my favorite shows within 24 hours of their airing on that site.
    I work 3 to 11pm and never get to actually watch the televised shows I have an interest in, but between Netflix and StreamTV I do ok.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I am looking forward to seeing the Expanse in December.

If the tv series is only half as exciting as the novels, it's gonna be an excellent series. And from what i've seen in the trailer, the CGI looks wonderful. Still have a few doubts about the cast, but we'll see in December.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,041 Community Moderator
    Expanse? *Confused look*

BTW... Ghost Hunters has been pretty good this season.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)