test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Network Connection Issues 9/14 @ 1:40 PDT

We're looking into the connection issue that just spiked moments ago. From the looks of what my team is telling me, it appears we have another DDOS. I'm getting up an Emergency Broadcasting message up and having the team investigate.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    Boo DDOS attacks.

Cheer for Trendy!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Thanks for the update. Nice to have you back :smile:
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Oh the joy. I'm sadden now. Again? That guy is proving annoying.

Hope you guys are able to fix it.

Thunxs trendy!
    6tviTDx.png

• thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This guy is a coward attacking something that can't fight back.
  • tehibristehibris Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    It would start right when I log in to finish off the mission I had to abandon (for non-networking reasons) yesterday. :p
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Go get him DEVS!!! Just leave a couple parts for the players to chew on!!!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    Thanks for the info. I'm heading to bed now anyway. Hope you guys n gals get a handle on the situation.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Appreciate you guys staying on tops of communication. Sorry it's hammering Cryptic so badly, but I hope you can track down and prosecute whoever's behind it.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I bet its another one of those script kiddie groups like last time. Remember "lizard squad"? Usually those bIHnuch claim responsibility mid or post attack.
  • badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Are you sure its not due to fluctuations in the power grid due to the zombie outbreak ?
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    tritan2409 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. Nice to have you back :smile:
    It's good to be back, albeit sick. :(
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Did they steal some personal information from players like Cstore transactions (credit card information) or just a truly DDoS with no customer threat? I'm sure there could be more copycats out there once the word gets around. You should prosecute or have a more "serious" tone to at least discourage this behavior. Sorry it happened but even more sorry it critical information is compromised to some degree.​​
    DUwNP.gif

• ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Not to be a prick here, but perhaps it would be prudent to take more measures to ensure that this doesn't happen? If this dude's Twitter page is to be of any consideration, it appears that there is one person that is doing this whenever you get the servers back up. His Twitter handle is NeverWinterGod, and his page is https://twitter.com/NeverWinterGod. And there are no ways to COMPLETELY stop a DDOS, I know, but perhaps making the firewall protect more parts of the server might be in order. And I'm by NO means screaming or shouting, I'm merely suggesting. Love the game, but as a lifetime account holder, I would like to see the game a bit more secure and make it a bit tougher for this to happen. But I will play it either way...once everything is worked out, which I hope it will be here shortly.

But based on what that guy was posting on his Twitter feed, it's more than likely that he's the man to point the finger at.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Looks like only ddos attacks directed towards neverwinter. At least that's what they guy @neverwintergod from twitter is claiming to be. @crusader2007.
    6tviTDx.png

• donburritodonburrito Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Yeah if that is really him, couldn't they just look up the IP that his account connected to the server from and ban it?
    Online DJ and Audio Engineer for Kirtang Pirate Radio and occasional Blog Writer for The G & T Show
    Facebook Page: Don Burrito
    Twitter: @DonBurrito143
    Our connections have stabilized at the moment, however we have our teams on full monitoring status.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    Time to deploy the M.A.C.O. teams!
    donburrito wrote: »
    Yeah if that is really him, couldn't they just look up the IP that his account connected to the server from and ban it?
    Eh, it's a little more complicated. A DDOS usually utilizes a networked bot farm to flood a port(s) overloading the connection by hitting it hundreds upon thousands of times per second, per computer. Sometimes those computers are doing this without the actual owner knowing, due to malware. It's hard to suggest blocking those addresses, as they may be legitimate people who didn't do anything wrong.

Hence why DDOSing is an ugly thing. This is coming from someone who used to attend Defcon.
  • skelmerdskelmerd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    this little twerp has cost me 2 specialization points that i didn't earn because of this down time. not cool.
  • darklordknight12darklordknight12 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    donburrito wrote: »
    He on Xbox One look at the dif skill bars then the pc neverwinter one look at his pic on twitter page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    How about you separate Neverwinter from STO IP addresses so we can at least enjoy more personalized DDoS attacks?
    Well, it's not necessarily just "Neverwinter IP addresses" that are spamming it with the intention to get in. It's a myriad of difference connections flooding it, without the intended result of fully connecting. They're all hitting the server farm.
    edited September 2015
    Did they steal some personal information from players like Cstore transactions (credit card information) or just a truly DDoS with no customer threat? I'm sure there could be more copycats out there once the word gets around. You should prosecute or have a more "serious" tone to at least discourage this behavior. Sorry it happened but even more sorry it critical information is compromised to some degree.​​

Do you even know what a DDOS is? All a DDOS is is a constant stream of data onto a server to slow it down and to eventually crash it. You can't completely stop it, but you can step up your firewall protection to slow them down. There is really no access to any information, as a DDOS is just constantly feeding the server useless information in an effort to crash it. A good sign of a DDOS would be lag, rubberbanding, and disconnects. All of those signs were present just now.

Please, before posting, remember this:
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
  • if hes using a botnet, then blocking his attacks could prove to be very troublesome
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    I really feel for you folks at Cryptic/PWE right now. After all the network issues you've had and the work you've done to fix them, now you have to deal with this. >_< And, no doubt, also with a lot of angry people who think it's your fault. Not fun.

I wish you all the best in dealing with this, and I hope it doesn't stress you out too much.
  • asteconnasteconn Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    They're all hitting the server farm.

If I may offer a solution to the problem: investing in more robust agricultural equipment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Do you even know what a DDOS is? All a DDOS is is a constant stream of data onto a server to slow it down and to eventually crash it. You can't completely stop it, but you can step up your firewall protection to slow them down. There is really no access to any information, as a DDOS is just constantly feeding the server useless information in an effort to crash it. A good sign of a DDOS would be lag, rubberbanding, and disconnects. All of those signs were present just now.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

DDOS's can be used as a distraction to the theft of data. I'm not saying that this is the case this time, but it has been known to happen. In this case the DDOS is just some twerp DDOS'ing for and i quote "for the lulz" I really hope law enforcement gets involved on this. maybe a felony conviction and ten years in prison would teach him a lesson.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    asteconn wrote: »
    They're all hitting the server farm.

If I may offer a solution to the problem: investing in more robust agricultural equipment.

I lol'd

DDOS's can be used as a distraction to the theft of data. I'm not saying that this is the case this time, but it has been known to happen. In this case the DDOS is just some twerp DDOS'ing for and i quote "for the lulz" I really hope law enforcement gets involved on this.

True. Admittedly, I didn't stop to ponder that...but is also appears that this NeverGodz dude literally made this Twitter feed to brag about his DDOSing the servers...
    I hope this person runs out of money fast because my grind schedule is totally messed up now. This is more than just a misunderstood kid tinkering around with poor bitcoin investments, attack of such scale can't be bought with lunch money.

Unless he/she actually has his own zombie network, in that case there might be some hard days ahead for these games.
    Typically overusage of a bot network can potentially get it flagged easier for the localized ISPs monitoring potential suspicious traffic. It's not the wisest decision from that standpoint.
    As it does look like things have stopped for now, I'll be shutting down this thread. If things do spike up again from a DDOS, I will reopen it.
This discussion has been closed.