test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Network Connection Issues 9/14 @ 1:40 PDT

13»

Comments

• lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    It's hard to suggest blocking those addresses, as they may be legitimate people who didn't do anything wrong.
    I just read through the NeverWinterGod twitter page (thanks to ronanobrien for posting the link). And he looks to me as though he is intentionally doing this.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    lindaleff wrote: »
    It's hard to suggest blocking those addresses, as they may be legitimate people who didn't do anything wrong.
    I just read through the NeverWinterGod twitter page (thanks to ronanobrien for posting the link). And he looks to me as though he is intentionally doing this.

Of course, HE is... but he's probably using other systems that have been compromised, unbeknownst to their owners.​​
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    but don't you have some identification system that shows how much data you are getting from one source and if that source is giving overwhelming amount of data

These attacks don't come from one source. They have a "bot" network with boatloads of systems (often compromised computers with a virus). So first you have to figure out the attack vectors, then determine which IPs are repeating it before you can start block them. At least that's "typically" how it goes.

• kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Well it is fortunate I never really play during evenings and more often in the mornings, so far it's been minimal connection issues on my end during such time. Nonetheless hope you all have best of luck solving this, someone needs to be made an example of being this crazy.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    rekurzion wrote: »
    soo...exactly what are the cryptic team attempting to do to counter the ddos? yesterday he just stopped and went to sleep...

i would hope cryptic has a few "hackers" of their own on staff

This moron isn't a "hacker", he is paying to use a botnet that someone else set up to do this. Any idiot can do it, and many idiots have.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Is this the same guy who was doing the attacks yesterday?

He's claiming on hit twit feed he is...

This guys is not only attacking Neverwinter, but now he's saying that he wants to attack Elder Scrolls Online. Looks like we have an ego-maniac on the loose. I hope they nail him! :rage:
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Isn't there a nefarious network guy in our community that is properly motivated to at least figure out who this kid is? Unfortunately, I'm a hardware guy, otherwise I'd be attempting something.
  • minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    You may as well report the twitter account to the FBI. Though unlike a previous poster mentioned about trouble ticket turnover time (say that 5 times fast!) they should get to it pretty much immediately.
    velqua wrote: »
    Is this the same guy who was doing the attacks yesterday?

He's claiming on hit twit feed he is...

This guys is not only attacking Neverwinter, but now he's saying that he wants to attack Elder Scrolls Online. Looks like we have an ego-maniac on the loose. I hope they nail him! :rage:

It's a foregone conclusion that he will be apprehended. Looks like he's trying to do as much as he can before that happens, and at this rate, I am sure it won't be long!
  • psychopyro80psychopyro80 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    Isn't there a nefarious network guy in our community that is properly motivated to at least figure out who this kid is? Unfortunately, I'm a hardware guy, otherwise I'd be attempting something.

Yea me too... Not a network person...

Though I'm not really impressed... he had to test it several times to get it to work... Amateurish to be sure... Someone will get him... If he could not get it on the first or second pass, he made mistakes and will get caught...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    If he's not only attacked Cryptic, but ESO... That is definately illegal and should be reported to the Feds.

I'll get the rope. Someone get the pitchforks and torches.
    And... right now... this seems to fit the situation and how we hope it ends.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCJ-UGYns
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Just a reminder, like all things related to internet trolling/negative behavior, please do not directly follow, message, or tweet him. Doing so encourages repeat behavior. While the team is working to resolve the issue, be mindful please.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    the game doesn't crash, it just constantly pauses, i am not the best computer expert (so you guys who are much smarter than me, feel free to insult me, i will not take it personally) but don't you have some identification system that shows how much data you are getting from one source and if that source is giving overwhelming amount of data, just cut them off for a half-hour and email them stating the situation about their computer was DDoS'ing the server, yada yada, and "we are not blaming you, we are simply telling you". Or does that go against some policy

think of it this way...

you are standing in the middle of grand central station having a conversation with a few friends. While you may not be aware of it your ears and brain are processing every single sound in range - a fundamental function of human biology. Suppose now that everyone in the station started yelling at you at once. Blasted loud music in your ear. Gunshots and explosions. Your ears and brain now go into sensory overload to the point of rupturing your ear drum or causing you to become deaf. You don't have the ability to filter out that external noise or ignore it except for cancelling all of the sound at once by say plugging your ears.

DDoS is similar. It is a fundamental function of servers/routers to receive and send packets (i.e. sound waves in the ear example). Without this capability they are not able to function, that is, communicate with the outside world - which is their purpose. A DDoS exploits this functionality as if someone who wanted to make you go deaf may fire a weapon close to your ear. Your biology (or in the case of the server its biology otherwise known as protocols) is being taken advantage of.

Just as the ear doesn't have the ability to turn some sounds off the protocols outlining network communication can't turn off some requests for call/response without risking isolation. In that way the only real way (at least for now) to completely thwart a DDoS attack is to disconnect the server from the network. Which ultimately satisfies the malevolent who set out the attack.
    edited September 2015
    Just a reminder, like all things related to internet trolling/negative behavior, please do not directly follow, message, or tweet him. Doing so encourages repeat behavior. While the team is working to resolve the issue, be mindful please.

What did come to my mind is perhaps the attack shouldn't even be acknowledged officially, could just say there are technical issues and leave it at that. But then, everyone turns to blaming the service for the problem, so I don't know what is better.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User

Will do, Trendy.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User

and for the love of common sense DO NOT click on any link he posts.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    L'Miren: "T'Ket, darn it, stop! You're gonna TRIBBLE up that nice date... peace I made with the Other! Disable that DDOS Probe, now!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    Trendy... PLEASE tell me you guys have reported this to the Feds for investigation. Apparently he's not only targeting Cryptic (Since we just can't say Neverwinter since his attacks are affecting the other games) but word is he's also going after Elder Scrolls Online. I'd say there's plenty of evidence via Twitter that he's doing this on purpose.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd say there's plenty of evidence via Twitter that he's doing this on purpose.
    I doubt people can cause DDOS attacks by accident... except Homer Simpson.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    It appears as though our networks are stable, Captains. Welcome back. We will continue to monitor.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    On one hand I don't condone it but on another looking back at how cryptic has treated their player base karma is a force to be dealt with.
    Trendy... PLEASE tell me you guys have reported this to the Feds for investigation. Apparently he's not only targeting Cryptic (Since we just can't say Neverwinter since his attacks are affecting the other games) but word is he's also going after Elder Scrolls Online. I'd say there's plenty of evidence via Twitter that he's doing this on purpose.
    All I am allowed to say is we are investigating with a much larger team. You are free to read between the lines. :)
  • anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    the game doesn't crash, it just constantly pauses, i am not the best computer expert (so you guys who are much smarter than me, feel free to insult me, i will not take it personally) but don't you have some identification system that shows how much data you are getting from one source and if that source is giving overwhelming amount of data, just cut them off for a half-hour and email them stating the situation about their computer was DDoS'ing the server, yada yada, and "we are not blaming you, we are simply telling you". Or does that go against some policy

think of it this way...

you are standing in the middle of grand central station having a conversation with a few friends. While you may not be aware of it your ears and brain are processing every single sound in range - a fundamental function of human biology. Suppose now that everyone in the station started yelling at you at once. Blasted loud music in your ear. Gunshots and explosions. Your ears and brain now go into sensory overload to the point of rupturing your ear drum or causing you to become deaf. You don't have the ability to filter out that external noise or ignore it except for cancelling all of the sound at once by say plugging your ears.

DDoS is similar. It is a fundamental function of servers/routers to receive and send packets (i.e. sound waves in the ear example). Without this capability they are not able to function, that is, communicate with the outside world - which is their purpose. A DDoS exploits this functionality as if someone who wanted to make you go deaf may fire a weapon close to your ear. Your biology (or in the case of the server its biology otherwise known as protocols) is being taken advantage of.

Just as the ear doesn't have the ability to turn some sounds off the protocols outlining network communication can't turn off some requests for call/response without risking isolation. In that way the only real way (at least for now) to completely thwart a DDoS attack is to disconnect the server from the network. Which ultimately satisfies the malevolent who set out the attack.

Now this is helpful, the other dude just did a facepalm, ok, so there really is no way to stop it unless you get earplugs (tripping over the 10by10 ethernet cord XD), but so, is there anyway for counter DDoS

• anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User

I would guess that they have, or are sending someone in the morning (PST for them) to the authorities, but until then, they need some help
    I'd say there's plenty of evidence via Twitter that he's doing this on purpose.
    I doubt people can cause DDOS attacks by accident... except Homer Simpson.
    Still... the moustache twisting taunts just add to it.

It appears as though our networks are stable, Captains. Welcome back. We will continue to monitor.

Based on yesterday's behavior... he'll start up again later. I hate to say this but I'm probably going to wait until this... shtako is busted and we don't have to deal with this.

Sorry, but I am that irritated by him.

think of it this way...

Now this is helpful, the other dude just did a facepalm, ok, so there really is no way to stop it unless you get earplugs (tripping over the 10by10 ethernet cord XD), but so, is there anyway for counter DDoS
    There is a way to mitigate and potentially fix it entirely. Due to the nature of it, I will not discuss the full details, however I can ensure you that we are building said measures.
This discussion has been closed.