test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why must it be so expensive to obtain a Jem'Hadar attack ship hanger pet?

Can anyone in an official capacity please explain to me why there is a need for you to make obtaining the Jem'Hadar attack ship hanger pet so financially expensive? I have so far spent a couple of hundred euros buying Zen to purchase R&D packs with no positive results. It is difficult for me to remain so impressed by sto when I now feel that I can not have access to features of the game unless I am willing to spend a considerable amount of money. Sto is a cracking game and I am more than a little gutted that I am already thinking uninstalling it.

Best Answers

• Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Don't bother. It's been 3 years since I've gotten my JHDC, and I raised hell because I'm not able to have the pet for it. I've since given up, because the "Bug ship" is Cryptic's cash cow, Cryptic will NEVER do anything to jeopardize their cash cow.

Every time you see a promotion involving the bug ship, it means they need money. I'm actually disappointed that the community continues to allow such blatant greed by Crytpic. As stated many times in this forum, their are a multitude of ways to earn income besides depending on the bug ship.

-ce' la vie
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I have so far spent a couple of hundred euros buying Zen to purchase R&D packs with no positive results.
    NO NO NO NO and NO. If you are going to spend that much, you buy keys or R&D packs, sell them on the exchange, then use the EC to buy the ship with a 100% chance of success.

Everyone else please learn from this history so you are not doomed to repeat it.

Answers

• Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Why don't you just sell c-store items, like keys or packs on the exchange and save EC for the ship? Nobody forces you to gamble mate.
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Leave the gambling to those who are good at it.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    And to those who sell their winnings :-)
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    1. You are doing it -very- wrong.
    2. Because it means more profit for PWE/Cryptic.

P.S.: Thank you for donating for the servers.​​
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    thayoden wrote: »
    Why must it be so expensive to obtain a Jem'Hadar attack ship hanger pet?

Cause they said so.

• Options
    thayodenthayoden Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have so far spent a couple of hundred euros buying Zen to purchase R&D packs with no positive results.
    NO NO NO NO and NO. If you are going to spend that much, you buy keys or R&D packs, sell them on the exchange, then use the EC to buy the ship with a 100% chance of success.

Everyone else please learn from this history so you are not doomed to repeat it.

Davefenestrator was spot on. Played the exchange and in one mornings work I now have the Jem'Hadar attack ship and also two Elite Jem'Hadar attack ship hanger pets! Cheers Dave :-) Keen for sto restored.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    thayoden wrote: »
    Can anyone in an official capacity please explain to me why there is a need for you to make obtaining the Jem'Hadar attack ship hanger pet so financially expensive? I have so far spent a couple of hundred euros buying Zen to purchase R&D packs with no positive results. It is difficult for me to remain so impressed by sto when I now feel that I can not have access to features of the game unless I am willing to spend a considerable amount of money. Sto is a cracking game and I am more than a little gutted that I am already thinking uninstalling it.

Why do you even want them. At this point in the game there are alot of pets. I would understand if you got to control the "main starship" and your friends got to fly the pets or you got to fly a pet. The pets in this need to be reworked for better imersion. As it stands on the JHSS pets, don't bother.

The fact that they are so hard to get projects a FALSE illusion that they are somehow better than all the other pets in the game. This is just NOT True.

P.S. How do I know this? I've had them ever since they first became avaliable. TBH, if I could. I would wipe the dust off of them and give them to you. Over rated? Probably the most over rated item in the entire game.

• Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    Asked Captain Geko about this on twitter few weeks ago, He said it's the way it is and there not gonna change the locked pets for the Jem Hadar Dreadnought Carrier.... You would think they have made more then enough money on this item to remove the lock on it. But probably not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Asked Captain Geko about this on twitter few weeks ago, He said it's the way it is and there not gonna change the locked pets for the Jem Hadar Dreadnought Carrier.... You would think they have made more then enough money on this item to remove the lock on it. But probably not...

Because they still haven't made enough money on Red Matter Capacitor Deluxe Box Editions, right?​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    wraith0908wraith0908 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    i lucked out and got the bug ship my very first r and d pack. now i just need the jhdc
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Reasons.

Monies.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Business has to make money or close, sto has to make profit or be shut down.
    -snip-

This is a dumb argument. They make tens of millions of dollars PER QUARTER and running this game does not require tens of millions of dollars, the developers themselves are not paid enough justify that and the servers(which we ALL now know are shared with another game) also do not require tens of millions of dollars to operate. This game makes tens of millions of dollars a year, they are not in any danger of failing if they make changes to their business model, that is unless they make playing the game prohibitively expensive. But they are not stupid enough to do that.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    -snip-

This is a dumb argument. They make tens of millions of dollars PER QUARTER and running this game does not require tens of millions of dollars, the developers themselves are not paid enough justify that and the servers(which we ALL now know are shared with another game) also do not require tens of millions of dollars to operate. This game makes tens of millions of dollars a year, they are not in any danger of failing if they make changes to their business model, that is unless they make playing the game prohibitively expensive. But they are not stupid enough to do that.

woah woah woah, I didn't realize you had access to STO's financial records ! How'd you get ahold of those ?
    :P
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    A lot of it was dis
    woah woah woah, I didn't realize you had access to STO's financial records ! How'd you get ahold of those ?
    Can't tell if you're joking or not.

In case you're not joking, you can go to Perfect World's investor relations page and view their SEC filings.

http://www.pwrd.com/en/investor.shtml
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    A lot of it was dis
    Can't tell if you're joking or not.

In case you're not joking, you can go to Perfect World's investor relations page and view their SEC filings.

http://www.pwrd.com/en/investor.shtml

Checkmate.
    Though I was thinking more along the lines of STO's books, not PW as a whole.
    But I that'll do.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There are areas of life in which misfortune will get you much sympathy.

Gambling isn't one of those.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edalgo wrote: »
    Yes STO is so successful it doesn't even warrant it own server.

It shares 1 with NeverWinter.

It's an older game, it doesn't require the resources to run it as a new game.

HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Although I generally agree with this, if "everyone" did as you say, nobody would win the ship. And the ship, therefore, wouldn't exist. So please, everyone, please open packs and trade the ships to me. Thanks.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User

It costs them money when people play sto, they need to get that money back and then a profit on top.

The RNG box mechanic is a very good, very fair way to do it.

If people like gambling, they can do it, if they don't like gambling, they're not forced to, they can get the ship right away from somone who won it.

If you don't want to buy zen to get ec, you can get plenty of ec just playing the game.

It might take you time to accumulate enough, but that's just old fashioned play2win mmo mechanics isn't it? Progress over time?

Whatever happened to the days when 15 bucks a month was plenty enough money to keep an MMO running for years? Oh wait...greed. We forgot about greed in that equation. I will never buy "We need to sell rip off items for dummies to pay for in order to make a profit" excuse when MMO's existed for YEARS without lockboxes and profited from them. Plain and simple, PW is a TRIBBLE company who invaded STO, changed almost everything about it and started ripping off the Cryptic customers with their TRIBBLE lock boxes. And I blame the idiots who buy them just as much as I blame PW. The ONLY reason I play this game is because I bought the lifetime sub back when it first came available. Otherwise I stay clear away from any game PW has their meat hooks in. I left SWTOR for this exact same reason. Same practice, different company.

It's funny, when a company refuses to listen to their players, and do EVERYTHING the opposite of what the players tell them will make a perfect game, they tuck tail, sell their game to a company like PW, and milk those players to death before they shut the game down.

History on that? Let's start with City of Heroes.

City of Heroes, had a great game, then somewhere down the line they refused to listen to the players and the things the players would tell them that would keep them playing the game. They ignored the player feedback, did whatever they wanted to and lost those players. What small amount of players were left, gave way to...wait for it...a market where you have to pay for everything that once came with a 15 a month sub! Once they milked their players for every penny they had, plus, added a brand new powerset that everyone paid out the rear for...two weeks later, announced shut down. Thank for the new powerset, but no time to play it, game is coming down!

SWTOR, refused to listen to the players. The players asked for a sandbox game, not a game on rails. Bioware didn't listen and the players left. Bioware's answer? Lockboxes!!! Cash cow rip off!

STO...players were outright lied to from the very start. If you have ever seen Jack Emmert run his mouth about this game prior to launch, you would think this game was going to be a sandbox game. You were lead to believe that random planets would be generated weekly, and the player who found them would even get to name them! You were lead to believe a lot of things that never came to pass. When the game hit Beta, players were sadly disappointed with the half baked game Cryptic came up with...and the players left the game in droves. Cryptic's answer? Sell the game to PW! Now we have...wait for it...Lockboxes!!!

Lockboxes...every failed MMO's last ditch attempt to milk the game for every dime from the remaining customers.

I'm sure some will defend the system...but what I say is complete truth. Defend it if you like, doesn't make it any less true.
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    I've seen this before, people who seem trapped after getting LTS. It happens often in Zone, where people seem to login out of obligation of some sort, then throw around large amounts of anger because they really don't want to be there but must still feel their LTS means something.

In a Perfect World, these are players who have somehow managed to keep playing after their Player Life has ended. They're literally ghosts.

It's really a bizarre cycle, and I don't quite understand it, but it's oddly fascinating.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    I've seen this before, people who seem trapped after getting LTS. It happens often in Zone, where people seem to login out of obligation of some sort, then throw around large amounts of anger because they really don't want to be there but must still feel their LTS means something.

In a Perfect World, these are players who have somehow managed to keep playing after their Player Life has ended. They're literally ghosts.

It's really a bizarre cycle, and I don't quite understand it, but it's oddly fascinating.

Oh, my opinion of the game is not all wrapped up in to that one statement. There is a lot of good things Cryptic has done to the game in the past year and a half. It's not all bad. I love a lot of the game changes that were made. Not too happy that STF's are gone and now getting the same gear that used to drop in those is one hell of a grind, but meh...that's pretty minor. I simply hate lock boxes. Making sector space larger was a huge plus to the game and gives it more of a sandbox feel to it. So as long of a gripe I came up with against the game, I could also come up with an equal list of things I enjoy.