test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This new hyper capacity shield, does anyone like it???

13»

Answers

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Tried the new shield in CC Advanced on a Tactical Command Cruiser.

Activating the gimmick caused all shields to drain rapidly to the point of incurring hull damage.

Switched back to my Borg set bonus shield.

Possibly a useful shield if you never trigger the gimmick as it's the current highest rating.
    What about those that armor tank and don't need shields? Does the bonus damage switch off when shields hit zero?
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    Hey Borg! Jokes on you, I drain my own shields now. Hahahahaha!

You made me laugh SO hard !
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Day 1: Everyone hates it and says it sucks.

Day 2: Some DPS person finds a way to increase DPS with it and posts a video.

Day 3: Everyone loves it.

Quoted for truth.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    And it actually has been that way since the release. The energy management in STO is unfortunately a failure IMO. There was never a time in this game where running full weapon power wasn't the best option for any non-Science Vessel.

Weapon Power just is so much more useful in comparison to any other power type.
    If shield power was as useful as weapon power, a ship with 50 shields would blow up in 10 seconds and a ship with 125 shield power would last for 10 minutes.

Agreed. Power management should be flexible and come with trade-offs. If I run all power to weapons I deal massive damage but should die quickly and be slow. If I run all power to shields I should be very very resilent, but sacrifice my weapons and other powers for it. But we have so many items in-game that magically grant you power from nothing and allow to run all powers in overcap mode all the time - what's the point?

Power levels are as useful as crew at this point.​​

Youre forgetting about all of the abilities, traits and passives that do things for power levels. Ive got 125 Weapons, 75 Shield, 65 Engines and 40 something Aux. All thanks to all of the things I have on my character and ship. I never short on power unless I get hit with a subsystem.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    pottsey5g wrote: »

Activating the gimmick caused all shields to drain rapidly to the point of incurring hull damage.

Possibly a useful shield if you never trigger the gimmick as it's the current highest rating.
    What about those that armor tank and don't need shields? Does the bonus damage switch off when shields hit zero?

The damage switches off after 30 seconds. Not a true toggle.

Still, the highest cap shields in the game and I have them with the Regen mod, which seems like the jackpot for "all purpose" mods these can get at UR.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    I found the trick was to use things like the new console to up your shields output so it was much harder to drain them.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    >reyan01
    > Honestly, I really am starting to lose faith in this game and it's constant pandering, intentional or not, to the DPS crowd.

The DPS crowd market themselves better , thus the attention .
    The silent majority continues it's thing of silence + giving Cryptic money, so what exactly are Cryptic to do ?

They can't and won't undo the damage done by DR, and as I just blew through IGA like a breeze last week, it's obvious that they are doing the powercreep for ground as well ... -- which was one of the two refuges left to those who enjoyed the old STO .

What else can be said ?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    > hyefather wrote:
    >All I know is, this game needs something and what we are getting just isn't cutting it.

All I know is that I have lost any and all faith in Cryptic .
    They have literally batted a thousand second chances in the face, and I am no longer interested in them from a product producer level .

It could be that the problem is mine .
    It could be that I have been exposed to their product (and their devs shenanigans) for too long .
    It could be that new players think that both the new ship of the week and the DPS race are totally fine & acceptable .

I just can't help but to think that expecting major overhauls or a STO 2.0 from Cryptic makes about as much sense as the massive immigration to Western Europe does ... -- once we take into account Merkel's pronouncement of "Greman multiculturalism has utterly failed" from a while back .

Thus as (IMHO) Cryptic has a "new game plan" about as much as Europe does -- I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the rerun of the mistakes of the past .
    Post edited by zobovor on
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    zobovor wrote: »
    (...) Thus as (IMHO) Cryptic have a "new game plan" about as much as Europe does -- so let's just sit back and enjoy the rerun of the mistakes of the past .

Ironically, the "refugee crisis" is based on irrational popular fears. If STOs players would show interest and will to try something different than stagnation maybe we'd see movement. But the thing with irrational behaviour is - there's nothing you can do about it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

The effect is calculated by current shield levels (meaning: Will drop rapidly). It will be deactivated after 30 seconds or when you shield is exhausted.

But if you are armor tanking (which most builds do in borg stfs), you will gain dps from it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    > angrytarg wrote:
    > Ironically, the "refugee crisis" is based on irrational popular fears.

Well, I'm sure the women of Sweeden would agree with you ... , I mean going from being one of the safest countries in the world to being the "TRIBBLE capital of Europe" (and holding the 2nd place globally) could only mean that the Swedish men have gone completely cray-cray ... .

I mean really , it could not have anything to do with immigration ... :

https://cavatus.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/sweden-a-TRIBBLE-country/

And the funny thing is ... , as the leftists put their hands on their eyes and sing lalala loudly to themselves , this uncontrolled muslim immigration will empower the far right all over Europe ... -- and as history has taught us, only good things come from that .

Well too bad Europe , no "Gates of Vienna 2" for you .
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    zobovor wrote: »
    > angrytarg wrote:
    > Ironically, the "refugee crisis" is based on irrational popular fears.

Well, I'm sure the women of Sweeden would agree with you ... , I mean going from being one of the safest countries in the world to being the "TRIBBLE capital of Europe" (and holding the 2nd place globally) could only mean that the Swedish men have gone completely cray-cray ... .

I mean really , it could not have anything to do with immigration ... :

https://cavatus.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/sweden-a-TRIBBLE-country/

And the funny thing is ... , as the leftists put their hands on their eyes and sing lalala loudly to themselves , this uncontrolled muslim immigration will empower the far right all over Europe ... -- and as history has taught us, only good things come from that .

Well too bad Europe , no "Gates of Vienna 2" for you .

Why do you people keep derailing this thread with this nonsense...

This thread is about the new shield and not about power creep or anything resulting out of this off topic TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Still, the highest cap shields in the game and I have them with the Regen mod, which seems like the jackpot for "all purpose" mods these can get at UR.
    Standard 'shield regen' is absolutely useless. It triggers once every 6 seconds (so whoo, 140 or so per shield facing instead of 130 thanks to your Regen mod), and absolutely will not save you in any situation. And would take like 3 years to fully recharge, too.

This is why every single ship ever (properly) built doesn't rely on it, and instead uses things like EPtS, ST, TSS, the lockbox trait I can't think of for Engineers that recharge MORE shields per SECOND for the entire team (yes, including you even if you're solo), etc etc.

Ignore the Shield Regen numbers. Pretend it doesn't exist...because for the most part it doesn't.​​
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    Shield regen is not useless. Even with poor base regen, and 75 power in the subsystem, it'll out perform science team for regeneration over time.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    somebob wrote: »
    Standard 'shield regen' is absolutely useless. It triggers once every 6 seconds (so whoo, 140 or so per shield facing instead of 130 thanks to your Regen mod), and absolutely will not save you in any situation. And would take like 3 years to fully recharge, too.

This is why every single ship ever (properly) built doesn't rely on it, and instead uses things like EPtS, ST, TSS, the lockbox trait I can't think of for Engineers that recharge MORE shields per SECOND for the entire team (yes, including you even if you're solo), etc etc.

Ignore the Shield Regen numbers. Pretend it doesn't exist...because for the most part it doesn't.​​

These shields can only have regen OR energy type specific damage reduction. If you want to plug in a set of shields and go, regen will get you more mileage than energy-specific types.

Also, I get good mileage out of hull and shield regen boosts.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    Maybe it would have been a good idea to link shields not to an HP pool but directly to the power level that can and must be actively depleted to destroy an enemy.
    A player can choose how much power they can distribute to shields in the first place and actively distribute power from other systems if needed. But the more rerouting of power is necessary the sooner other sub systems will suffer.

this would make torps more attractive at later stages of battles, as they don't rely on more than basic weapons power to keep the system active while the reserves are needed for shields.

But way to late to change this now.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg