ULC #14 Discussion Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    @hawku001x - So, Samya is my hero.
    I like her. :)
    Nice detective work from Samya, I do like the image of everyone standing around singing the Song We Do Not Speak Of.
    Thanks for the read. If anyone finds out they sung that, they may be court marshaled.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Ok, so I'm starting to pick prompts for ULC 15. It'll be here Tuesday. :tongue:

Any requests?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Any requests?

I would like to request the 'Minor Duties' prompt idea I came up with. :smiley:
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User

Any requests?

Some kind of horror or ghost story! I think it'd be super fun to have some classic sci-fi goosebumps stories :s
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Ooh, it is the October prompt, isn't it. Working still on a piece for this one, just lot going on.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    We need a redo of the Final Invasion prompt from earlier; Can't remember which LC/ULC it was. This time we can put the Heralds in!

Edit: Some ones that catch my eye at least: Boogeymen, War Corespondent, and Zhian'tara.
    Though that last one may because I just had a character set I can base that off of...
    Post edited by aten66 on
  • Options
    Made some progress putting together a scene I like for a quick poker round at Quark's. Remember: Engineers lie. A lot. Even when they're admirals. :)

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    aten66 wrote: »
    We need a redo of the Final Invasion prompt from earlier; Can't remember which LC/ULC it was. This time we can put the Heralds in!

Edit: Some ones that catch my eye at least: Boogeymen, War Corespondent, and Zhian'tara.
    Though that last one may because I just had a character set I can base that off of...
    "The Final Battle" was LC 61. And we did the zhian'tara prompt (not in that form, but @gulberat and I each came up with the idea independently) back in ULC 5.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    @jonnaroslyn, hawku001x and antonine3258: All excellent entries, I really enjoyed them all B)
  • Options

Any requests?

Looking forward to seeing what's selected B) Currently working on a variation of 'Origin of the Boff' prompt...

• Options
    Thanks, @marcusdkane, looking forward to seeing your origin sotry.

• Options
    Thanks, @marcusdkane, looking forward to seeing your origin sotry.
    You're very welcome, and thanks, I'm hoping to have it done in the next few days B) Word of warning, it carries on the theme from Poker Night ;)
  • Options
    OK, prompts are set. But it's not scheduled to be posted until Tuesday.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    B) Word of warning, it carries on the theme from Poker Night ;)

Mutterings in the lower ranks? Very unseemly. B)

• Options
    B) Word of warning, it carries on the theme from Poker Night ;)

Mutterings in the lower ranks? Very unseemly. B)
    B) No, a piece focussing on some points in Alix Kane's life, and letting her share her perspectives, which she doesn't often get the chance to do B)

• Options
    Ok, I messed up. Gonna be a slight delay on ULC 15: I made a doc for the post, but I must have saved to my computer instead of Google Drive so I can't post until I get home this evening.

If anybody wants to get started writing, I was using "Minor Duties", " War Correspondent", and "Bad Intelligence".
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    A quick something I just whipped up. I've missed writing, and need to try to find time to get back at it. Anyhoo, this was more to just introduce the new Engineer and ship more than anything.

I do have a something for the club 47 I want to do as well. Eventually.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    Grylak - I like toshme, she messes with people.

• Options
    grylak wrote: »
    A quick something I just whipped up. I've missed writing, and need to try to find time to get back at it. Anyhoo, this was more to just introduce the new Engineer and ship more than anything.

I do have a something for the club 47 I want to do as well. Eventually.
    That was a fun piece, I really enjoyed that B)
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Kathryn gets to party at the new Club 47 for a relaxing time ... or does she?

This piece was a response to some discussion after my ULC 15 post.

Technically, this is where Kathryn and Tracy first meet. Tracy can be seen in a previous stories like this one. Admiral Kurita made his first appearance previously (yet later in story-time) here and a few other places.

I think my writing is improving as I am trying to explain more. Thoughts for improvement?

Cast:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Captain Tracy Maxwell Kent - Monica Belluci
    Admiral Janos Marik - Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
    Mentioned but not seen:
    Admiral Takashi Kurita - Ken Watanabe
  • Options
    I like the descriptive text in the first half, and the changeover as drama sort of swims into view (or a Starfleet dreadnought, same thing)

Pedantic in me - This actually feels like a safer weapon for somewhere you'd like to occupy than a matter/antimatter charge if you need a general bombardment.

That said, I can understand Kathryn's serious uneasiness at being actually asked to test, or even scout for areas where WMD testing may occur, and her understanding of why it may be necessary.

Heck of a way to put a downer on the evening though, good job Admiral Marik. :p

• Options
    Kathryn gets to party at the new Club 47 for a relaxing time ... or does she?

This piece was a response to some discussion after my ULC 15 post.

Technically, this is where Kathryn and Tracy first meet. Tracy can be seen in a previous stories like this one. Admiral Kurita made his first appearance previously (yet later in story-time) here and a few other places.

I think my writing is improving as I am trying to explain more. Thoughts for improvement?

Cast:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Captain Tracy Maxwell Kent - Monica Belluci
    Admiral Janos Marik - Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
    Mentioned but not seen:
    Admiral Takashi Kurita - Ken Watanabe

I really liked this piece, a nice reminder that Starfleet duty isn't all good times B)
  • Options
    Nice little piece. Good description of Kathryn's dress (I half-expected her ex-boyfriend to turn up). I also liked that, in talking about the kinetic strike weapon, you acknowledged that a combatant starship is a weapon of mass destruction even without specialty weapons aboard.

Personally I'm completely fine with using TACTICAL orbital strikes, a la the Orbital Strike engineering power, against military targets (e.g. an enemy armor column or an Iconian gateway), because it's functionally no different than calling in an airstrike. You're basically just using the ship as an artillery piece. I'd have a much bigger problem doing something more drastic (up to General Order 24) unless there was no reasonable alternative.

I like the way David Weber plays it in the Honorverse with the Eridani Edict. Orbital bombardment of inhabited worlds is not permitted unless you have eliminated all orbital defenses and the planet still refuses to capitulate, in which case you may fire on military ground targets only (which includes the politicians controlling the military)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    @cmdrscarlet: Admiral Berat would have been very deeply uncomfortable with a discussion of orbital bombardment in light of Lakarian City. He is not a Lakarian native--he comes from one of Cardassia's northern cities--but as a Cardassian, he is VERY sensitive about that considering that the Dominion ordered genocide against his people and that was one of the tactics used to carry it out. I am also not convinced that Lakarian City was the only location in the Union that was hit that way. I would expect him and his leadership both in his Cardassian AND Starfleet chains of command to raise hell if the proposal were ever made to try to beta test that thing with his fleet, which operates within Cardassian territory.

As with Starsword, I can see carrying out a surgical strike against a very defined target. But yeah, for the 77th Fleet, I need not go any further about the sorts of political and psychological sensitivities involved.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    Thank you for reading!

Admittedly, describing clothing is not a strong suit and that was the hardest part for me this round!

I skipped ULC 14 because I wanted to focus on "Poker Night" and was having issues with the flow. So, after the comments from my ULC 15 entry, I went back and used Prompt 3 to give some background to what happened in ULC 14 and some previous entries. I'm pleased it was a decent connection of different events, even though I always had it in my mind the purpose of USS Titanicus in my 'verse.

@starswordc - Having never played a Tac, I didn't know the ability existed until I saw it in action and freaked out at my desk. In the back of my mind for this piece I thought about the tactical application of orbital strikes and believe Kathryn agrees with it's use. Yet, Kent and Marik are on another level and that is what I tackled here. The topic probably eluded Kathryn because she decided that the orders were not for her to use it, just help with its development. As a soldier, she would need to follow those orders. Later down the line may be something different, and there she is trusting Starfleet to do the right thing.

@gulberat - I can understand that perspective. Kathryn's lack of direct experience helped her make the decision to assist with the project without more mental fuss about it. Orders and all. Yet, I didn't want to portray her making a decision based solely on procedural-pressure. She must have some personal attachment, or acknowledged detachment, from the decision. And I hope I portrayed that without stating it obviously.

Again, thank you for reading my work :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Just a correction, Scarlet, Orbital Strike is an engineer power. When I said "tactical orbital strikes" I meant it in the way people might refer to a tactical nuclear weapon, i.e. one intended for use on the battlefield, as opposed to STRATEGIC nuclear weapons (city-busters like the Hiroshima bomb on up to megaton-range weapons like Tsar Bomba). It's the difference between torpedoing an Iconian gateway and glassing a planet.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    Ohh. Well then, having never played an Engineer ... ;)

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Nice work cmdrscarlet. I liked how she wrestled with the concept and in the end made a decision about going forward with it. It's a nice set-up to a situation where she may be forced to either act or not act on it.