test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ULC #14 Discussion Thread

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for Unofficial Literary Challenge #14: The Sound of Q-sic!. This month's crop of LC's are all about FUN because it's the last month of summer!

As usual please be honest and polite.

No mentioning One Direction, either.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP

Comments

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    The thread that started this.

WE'LL SHOW YOU WHAT'S DUMB ABOUT MUSICALS! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Aww, man, the music prompt is a Q prompt. Guess that means I'll sit out. Disappointing since normally Alyosha's all for music. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Mmf.
    1. I think this one would end very quickly in Eleya pulling a Sisko on Q and him leaving in a huff. Remember, back in "An Anomalous Nightmare" Eleya's reaction to Q was to yell at him to "get the phekk off my desk!"

ETA: Actually, on second thought that might be funny to watch...
    2. Might do a shortish piece for this one. A staff poker game might be interesting.

Ok, got an idea now. I'll use it as a prequel to the "Delta Flight" novelization I'm theorizing on, and to introduce Athezra Darrod's replacement as assault unit commander.
    3. No offense, but I'm having the same reaction to this prompt as I did to the summer event continuing during season 10: TRIBBLE the Partying, We're at War!
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I can't square the Club 47 thing with my timeline or the Masterverse timeline, so it's out.

If I did the poker thing, I'd probably change it to enlisted or junior officer night instead of senior officer. The idea about rumors that the staff has about Alyosha could be interesting. (I could do it on either the Chin'toka or Avandar, actually...). Not sure if I'll have time to do it, but it's a thought.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Hmm... I'll likely sit this one out.

The only prompt that really appeals to me is Poker Night, and I'm drawing blanks for ideas. And for Prompt 1, like Eleya, Takeshi would more than likely pull a Sisko and deck Q.

I'll see about reading some of the entries others put up, though.
    76561198160276582.png
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The thread that started this.

WE'LL SHOW YOU WHAT'S DUMB ABOUT MUSICALS! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You've brought me to a very dark place. I'M BUTCHERING SONGS BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!! *Goes off to cry in a corner*
    Post edited by aten66 on
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Not sure if I can do a musical - still working on 13 (still been that kinda month) but try to come up with something. I like the prompts.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I think, for Prompt 1, audio self-recorded media should have to accompany entries, but I'm exempt because I said so first. :p
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Got germs of ideas for #1 and #3. Have to see if either one develops into a full-blown story infection.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I have something in mind for #3, when I can sit down to transcribe it... B)
    A slight deviation from the brief, but this piece concludes part of the ongoing arc of the past few month's pieces. Please enjoy The Last Night on Earth

--

Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    Mu'awiyah th'Shaan - James Marsters
    Channery - Dane Cook
    T'Reya - Emily Ratajkowski
    ch'Raul - Guy Pearce
    H'mL'n - Abbie Cornish
    Ashiyana - Virginia Hey
    Jemma Donovan - April Bowlby
    Catherine Woolf - Rebecca Hall
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Nice work @marcusdkane. Those V-necks can be dangerous.
    Thanks, and yup B)
    @marcusdkane Sorry, missed earlier - nice work!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    @marcusdkane Sorry, missed earlier - nice work!
    No worries, and thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it B)
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Yeah marcus, that was a good little diddy and sparked an idea for this LC beyond my plans.

Damn V-necks ...
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Welcome all to the Ventes aux enchères dans le Forum, tonight we have a very special group of lots for our participants. For example:

Lot #774, a wodden guitar from earth, played by one Captain, whose name has been scratched off in time.

Lot #775, a Coffee Pot, handled well and well loved by it's owner, who sadly is no longer with us... he's shopping for a new one next door.

Lot #776, a manuscript entitled 'Don Quinn Triumphant', a masterpiece in it's own right, it's author unknown and forgotten to the ancient cellar, where this manuscript was found. Sadly it's pages are yellowed and spotted to water drops, but the message it conveys in it's pages is remarkable.

Now, on to the lot you have all been waiting for...

Lot #777, a letter entitled to the opening of a play long ago, signed and dated by it's sender, who's play never went on. Let me share with you an excerpt from said letter:

To ALL Guests: The Opening of the Le Fantôme de K'htar, just recently completed, will be commemorated by a ball. All available are encouraged to attend at their leisure, and will begin at 3:17 P.M., so that all may review. I will attend for most of the event, and would love to hear your reactions.

Signed,
    Aten66.

Le Fantôme de K'htar has been reprinted and posted online so that all may enjoy it. Please, let us indulge this author's last wishes, and leave reviews on his work.

Now, I bid you, adieu, good fellows.
    Post edited by aten66 on
    aten66 wrote: »
    Welcome all to the Ventes aux enchères dans le Forum, tonight we have a very special group of lots for our participants. For example:

Lot #774, a wodden guitar from earth, played by one Captain, whose name has been scratched off in time.

Lot #775, a Coffee Pot, handled well and well loved by it's owner, who sadly is no longer with us... he's shopping for a new one next door.

Lot #776, a manuscript entitled 'Don Quinn Triumphant', a masterpiece in it's own right, it's author unknown and forgotten to the ancient cellar, where this manuscript was found. Sadly it's pages are yellowed and spotted to water drops, but the message it conveys in it's pages is remarkable.

Now, on to the lot you have all been waiting for...

Lot #777, a letter entitled to the opening of a play long ago, signed and dated by it's sender, who's play never went on. Let me share with you an excerpt from said letter:

To ALL Guests: The Opening of the Le Fantôme de K'htar, just recently completed, will be commemorated by a ball. All available are encouraged to attend at their leisure, and will begin at 3:17 P.M., so that all may review. I will attend for most of the event, and would love to hear your reactions.

Signed,
    Aten66.

Le Fantôme de K'htar has been reprinted and posted online so that all may enjoy it. Please, let us indulge this author's last wishes, and leave reviews on his work.

Now, I bid you, adieu, good fellows.
    I'm a huge Phantom fan, and I absolutely adored this B) Loved the way it was presented and formatted, an absolutely fantastic entry, kudos indeed B)
    aten66 - that was a tremendous thing. When's the cast recording? :P

edited August 2015
    Yeah marcus, that was a good little diddy and sparked an idea for this LC beyond my plans.

Damn V-necks ...
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it, and yup, this is why I find it helpful to cast the actors, as Google images provided all (bar Channery and Ashiyana) the wardrobes mentioned B) Looking forward to seeing ahat you come up with B)
    edited August 2015
    Recalling an off-forum conversation I had about a year ago regarding a somewhat Game of Thrones-esque scenario, Prompt # 2 provided the set up for that scenario. Please enjoy Before the Mast...

--

Amanda Palmer - Ashley Greene
    Romax'tansky ch'Ehra - Nicholas Hoult
    Kab - Angus T. Jones
    Lucy Bellingham - Kat Dennings
    Scott Fairfax - Andrew Garfield
    Ned Lennox - Spencer Matthews
    Roger Hunt - Taye Diggs
    Marcus Kane - Matt Bomer
    Alix Kane - Zooey Deschanel
    Post edited by marcusdkane on
    Sort of a Game of Thrones scenario, certainly. I like the entry - on a technical/writerly level, I especially liked the personality play in the card game - everyone got established fast and that's hard to do.

Sort of a Game of Thrones scenario, certainly. I like the entry - on a technical/writerly level, I especially liked the personality play in the card game - everyone got established fast and that's hard to do.
    Thanks, that's very much appreciated, I'm glad you liked it B)

Nice musical aten. Definitely felt larger than life.

Good work, marusdkane. Very commanding presence w the Captain.
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Good work, marusdkane. Very commanding presence w the Captain.
    Thanks, that scene came out without intent of it being posted, but the prompt facilitated using it, and it was rather fun to see Marcus being held to scrutiny (even if the regs allowed him to handle the situation ;) )

Weird request - anyone have good suggestions for stories around a poker table? I can see it working visually rather than in prose for doing the play-by-play, and I could use (er, steal) some inspiration if anyone has recommendations.

Weird request - anyone have good suggestions for stories around a poker table? I can see it working visually rather than in prose for doing the play-by-play, and I could use (er, steal) some inspiration if anyone has recommendations.

Worse comes to worse, have you ever tried your hand at writing a screenplay? Not a mere script or chat log, but an actual screenplay like you see on Trekcore. Failing any other ideas, you might be able to stretch yourself by trying an art form that requires you to show everything and speak it in dialogue, and tell absolutely nothing. I haven't tried my own hand at it yet but I suspect it would be an excellent exercise in economy and in doing without infodumping--a big change for those of us with very introspective writing styles. I think the skill set gained from the exercise might be a useful complement to your current style.

Not a auggestion as such, but an observation about such scenes: The conversation is almost never really about what is going on on the table... As for topics of conversation, it could be anything from personal to political B)
    I always liked that scene in TNG where Riker plays his double in poker and their conversation about the game has double-meaning.