test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #19

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
“Nurse Ch’droth, pass me the osteogenic stimulator,” said Doctor Harza-Kull, elbow deep in microsurgery. The war had taken its toll on even the strongest of Warriors.

Read more in our latest Tales of the War.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    nagyervinnagyervin Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    It would be great to add these in the game (accessible from ESD, Q'Onos and New Romulus, as readables)
    Your Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III deals 174321 (66343) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to I.R.W. Valdore. :o
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    If you want to create atmosphere, perhaps some of these wounded NPCs could be added to the sickbay on ESD/First City, complaining about their last battle with the Heralds, etc
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    “Nurse Ch’droth, pass me the osteogenic stimulator,” said Doctor Harza-Kull, elbow deep in microsurgery. The war had taken its toll on even the strongest of Warriors.

~LaughingTrendy

Yet another glorious battle of the Blog War. Yawn.

You guys just don't learn, do you?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The wonderful word of triage. The Klingon edition seems not that different from any other. I certainly don't envy doctors in such situations.

~LaughingTrendy

Just because you would like to see more of the stuff actually happening in game doesn't mean they need to stop making blogs like this, nor does it mean they are pointless. They still deliver on the war atmosphere, even if it is fleeting.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Agreed. "Show, don't tell" has been a standard story convention for quite some time, and excessive telling, rather than showing, can wreck a story pretty badly. In the case of games, it can kill immersion, or make the storyline feel like a let-down, as while we're told about this galaxy-spanning conflict, we don't see any hints of it outside of missions and STFs.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

~LaughingTrendy

Just because you would like to see more of the stuff actually happening in game doesn't mean they need to stop making blogs like this, nor does it mean they are pointless. They still deliver on the war atmosphere, even if it is fleeting.
    No, they don't deliver in the slightest. They have a great medium and any number of coding tricks they could use to make the war more immersive in-game (and don't give me that bullsh*t excuse of "it would confuse new players"; they've had the tech to level-gate it for years), but instead they're relying on their blog.

This entire war has been a colossal letdown. The Iconians have one legitimate victory to their name; the rest of the time we've either kicked their asses or handed them victory on a silver platter because Kagran and the Klingons are too obsessed with "glorious battle" to bloody think, and nobody else has the guts to kick them out of the alliance for dragging everyone else down with their incompetence. And then we get classic stupid Star Trek logic fail in the classic stupid Star Trek time travel episode.
  • Options

~LaughingTrendy

No, they don't deliver in the slightest. They have a great medium and any number of coding tricks they could use to make the war more immersive in-game (and don't give me that bullsh*t excuse of "it would confuse new players"; they've had the tech to level-gate it for years), but instead they're relying on their blog.

I strongly suspect that doing something in a blog is lots easier than getting something in game. As desirable I think the latter would be. And the blogs are a way to also reach people that are not actively playing.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I do like these stories for what everyone else is up to in the chaos. Been wondering if Koren was still alive.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    For the many players who feel that the Iconiar War arc has underwhelmed or even been a no-show, what in-game changes would have made it better, do you think? I am genuinely curious, not looking to start flame wars or take sides.
    I kinda feel for both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, I do enjoy the Tales of the War blogs and the cinematics. They do an effective job of supporting a more bleak and desperate fight than seems apparent at playthrough. However, there are a couple of difficulties with changing the existing balance of play too much. First, would we rather have the Iconian War episode repeatedly batter us as players into losing again and again? I'm afraid at least as many players would complain about being beaten up by the game. Second, would there even be room for Advanced or Elite difficulty if they made the Normal episodic content nigh unwinnable?
    The other suspicion I have is that the system of pacing the episode deployment throughout weekly/semi-weekly intervals actively inhibits the impact of the story and its urgency. I bet when the entire Iconian War episode is deployed, if you go back through and play it in its entirety at an appropriate difficulty level, it'll be much more like the challenge we all think it deserves to be.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User

~LaughingTrendy

I have a solution for you if you don't like them. Don't read them. It's a simple concept, but one you don't seem to have considered. It would also save us from seeing you complain.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    It'd be cool if once you hit the Iconean story line, ESD an Q'nos changed to display the alliance on a wartime footing. Iconean incursions on the sector map would be nice. Better yet, be doing something else (mirror incursion, or the Tholeans), and have a bunch of Iconeans show up in force, blasting everyone.
  • Options
    hakazehakaze Member Posts: 81 Media Corps
    I'm still waiting for my ferengi war time bond recipes .. I think the guy on treasure station ripped me off :T
    ktamradio If you are looking for some nice music while playing clicky clicky click!

mWKbuCx.png
  • Options
    wakeoflovewakeoflove Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    For the many players who feel that the Iconiar War arc has underwhelmed or even been a no-show, what in-game changes would have made it better, do you think? I am genuinely curious, not looking to start flame wars or take sides.
    I kinda feel for both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, I do enjoy the Tales of the War blogs and the cinematics. They do an effective job of supporting a more bleak and desperate fight than seems apparent at playthrough. However, there are a couple of difficulties with changing the existing balance of play too much. First, would we rather have the Iconian War episode repeatedly batter us as players into losing again and again? I'm afraid at least as many players would complain about being beaten up by the game. Second, would there even be room for Advanced or Elite difficulty if they made the Normal episodic content nigh unwinnable?
    The other suspicion I have is that the system of pacing the episode deployment throughout weekly/semi-weekly intervals actively inhibits the impact of the story and its urgency. I bet when the entire Iconian War episode is deployed, if you go back through and play it in its entirety at an appropriate difficulty level, it'll be much more like the challenge we all think it deserves to be.

I think people are thinking iconian red alerts and roaming iconian enemy mobs in sector space to indicate their omnipresence. Not something new players necessarily HAVE to (or are even able to) engage in, but to show that the iconians truly are overrunning the galaxy.

You can "win"/survive a mission without actually winning anything. You can fight a losing battle, doing your best, losing heaps of ships or generally succeeding at the objective and yet the iconians still destroy/take that planet anyway even though you did everything right. You take out that herald fleet, but it cost you most of your ships and the few that remain are barely functional, then three dreadnoughts backed by a whole new fleet gate in and the flag officer orders a retreat. You won, but you lost.

However, there may be difficulties in communicating the scale of the war in game without causing immense lag to those with less capable computers. Sector space alerts and roaming mobs shouldn't be too much of an issue, but actually rendering heaps of ships and the associated FX of battles could be an issue. This could be solved with cinematics and or animated backgrounds so you can see that, while your little group is over here trying to sneakily accomplish an objective, the bulk of your fleet is getting it's aft beaten like a bongo drum trying to give you the distraction you need to make the attempt.

You could set the mission so the player is heading toward this animated background and can see the battle, see some losses on your side, etc, you go into the ground portion, and when you come out there's a cinematic where the speaking NPC of the mission does the old "Oh my gosh, they're all gone!" and pan over wreckage of ships with heaps of heralds still floating around. Perhaps showing the last few survivors warping out, some discussion about how all those lives were lost because you took so dang long to finish the mission :P lol. But yeah. I think people just want to see more epic things in this supposed epic war to end all wars and they want to feel like the war is this ever present, omnipresent event it's supposed to be.

And I think people at the very least want these blogs in game, perhaps as intercepted communique after missions, so they don't just disappear into the void once this season is passed over for the next. Which is not to say stop posting them as blogs, but post them in game too so that the blog content is preserved and tied to the appropriate content in game.
    NebulaOdyssey1_zpsqjc6anjg.jpg
    The Nebula-configured Odyssey needs to be a thing.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This is deleted
    Post edited by kyrrok on
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Yeesh, I'd hate to be a crew member aboard a Klingon ship!

Remind me never to have any of my (Starfleet) crew do an exchange programme with KDF officers. I'd get half of them sent back to me in body bags after a cruel and seemingly understaffed medical team botched their medical care!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

~LaughingTrendy

I strongly suspect that doing something in a blog is lots easier than getting something in game. As desirable I think the latter would be. And the blogs are a way to also reach people that are not actively playing.​​

If they don't care enough to actively play, what makes you think they care enough to read the blog? If Cryptic's background literature is more interesting and immersive than the actual game, they've failed as a game company.

Well, I keep citing Mass Effect 3 as a good portrayal of a galaxy-spanning conflict in a more or less single-player game (which STO's campaign basically is, even though you can also play it in co-op). So, here's some things BioWare did for immersion that Cryptic could readily emulate.
      ]
    • Major worlds getting attacked. Now, we sort of see this in the STFs but it could readily be more extensive.
    • One or more new battlezones. For example, outside of the Omega molecules event, nobody uses Andoria for anything (I don't think the Ushaan duels were ever even implemented), so change the map into a BZ where you're fighting with the Imperial Guard against a Herald ground invasion, a la the ME3 multiplayer mode where you're holding off the Reapers while Shepard's busy doing her thing.
    • In ME3, the Citadel is overrun with refugees and wounded fleeing the front lines. Do the same with Earth Spacedock, New Romulus Command, and First City. And yes, Cryptic does have the tech to change maps based on mission completion: see the end of "Uneasy Allies" where the Iconia system is replaced in sector space with the Herald Sphere.

Meanwhile, some stuff that's already in-game:
    • Herald Red Alerts and Deep Space Encounters. Cryptic abundantly already has the tech to gate this behind a level (see Tholian Red Alerts, which don't unlock until level 50) or completion of a mission.
    • And some people have suggested mandatory random encounters with the Heralds, but I actually disagree with this notion.

But instead Cryptic seems to want to make the Iconian War what Berman and Braga tried to have happen to the Dominion War, which was to make the thing that the entire series so far had been building up to into a short, ultimately minor story arc wrapped up within five episodes. This was something that Ira Steven Behr and Ron Moore wisely ignored, which they got away with because B&B were busy running VOY into the ground at the time.

Now, one thing I will praise Cryptic for is the mission "Blood of the Ancients", because BotA really felt like (for example) the ME3 missions on Palaven and Thessia where the PC was clearly just one small part of a much larger battle that was not going particularly well. "Delta Flight" also did well in presenting a decisive but ultimately relatively minor victory (the Heralds already have an overwhelming numerical advantage so it's not like adding the Solanae would really change much). But after that they seem to have put their best writers on blog duty and it all goes way downhill, with the Klingons engaging in glory-induced stupidity (seriously, Captain Kock-up, House Pratfall, and Emperor Forgot-to-Clone-Him-a-Brain couldn't run a successful covert ops mission if Mossad and GSG-9 ran it for them), and everybody else going completely genre-blind: it's a simple fact borne out in dozens of episodes of Star Trek that nothing having anything remotely to do with time travel ever ends well.
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    wakeoflove wrote: »
    This could be solved with cinematics and or animated backgrounds so you can see that, while your little group is over here trying to sneakily accomplish an objective, the bulk of your fleet is getting it's aft beaten like a bongo drum trying to give you the distraction you need to make the attempt.
    I thought they did a decent job of this kinda thing with at least one mission, was it Broken Circle? Where you come back out onto a previous map and are surrounded by a sea of wreckage. They could put a lot more of that aftermath in, yeah.

• One or more new battlezones. For example, outside of the Omega molecules event, nobody uses Andoria for anything (I don't think the Ushaan duels were ever even implemented), so change the map into a BZ where you're fighting with the Imperial Guard against a Herald ground invasion, a la the ME3 multiplayer mode where you're holding off the Reapers while Shepard's busy doing her thing.
    That's a great idea, really. The Herald ground battles are some of the toughest I've had to endure so far. A new BZ would be quite a challenge, for sure.
    Something else that might be interesting would be an actual unwinnable option in a mission. For example, a choice to stay and fight after the mission dialog orders a retreat. You can stay, and you can fight, but the Herald forces will just continue to overwhelm you. You'll certainly die, and you can either continue to crash against the sea of enemies or go ahead and follow the story to a retreat. Right now, we have one mission almost like this, but you're forced off the map anyway shortly after you choose to stay.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I was hoping for a Herald battlezone at one point, until I heard it was going to be Tholians in the badlands :(
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    The only things I've ever wanted from the Iconian war was for it to be over and to not kill the game. I think Cryptic has the same goals in mind. And I feel pretty optimistic about what is to come.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User

~LaughingTrendy

I don't suppose there's a wallpaper-sized version of the header image? I need it for...reasons....
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    The only things I've ever wanted from the Iconian war was for it to be over and to not kill the game. I think Cryptic has the same goals in mind. And I feel pretty optimistic about what is to come.

Yeah, same here. I'm a little disappointed that the narrative isn't paying off as well as it should, but I've honestly gotten so sick of the repeated "here's the villain for this arc, PSYCH IT'S REALLY THE ICONIANS" pattern that I'm just going to be glad it's over. It'll free up the writers/designers to finally do something new, and that's way more exciting to me than the war ever was.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    kyrrok wrote: »

~LaughingTrendy

Blog War? Yawn? LOL! That about sums it up alright.

As for how stupid the Klingons are, The story writing is downright disgusting. Not only in a mediocre storyline, but also on the insistence of reinforcing how stupid the writers want to make the Klingons out to be. Not in all the shows that I've seen have the Klingons been written as being so stupid. With intelligence as low as the game suggests, I'm surprised they made ships capable of leaving their own world, let alone conquering others.
    Klingons didn't invent warp drive, they stole it from the Hur'q. :p
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Yeesh, I'd hate to be a crew member aboard a Klingon ship!

Remind me never to have any of my (Starfleet) crew do an exchange programme with KDF officers. I'd get half of them sent back to me in body bags after a cruel and seemingly understaffed medical team botched their medical care!
    Harza's awesome!

But he has the unenviable task of needing to provide medical care with very little time to do so.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

But he has the unenviable task of needing to provide medical care with very little time to do so.

Triage is never pretty. :(
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    A few things come to mind:
    1)
    Herald Red Alerts or at least Herald Signal Contacts. This constantly signals their presence. Cryptic could probably find a way to ensure that only high level characters or characters that completed the first Iconian war mission can see this. If not, it woudn't be terrible either, I think.

2)
    Showing signs of the Herald attacks. That could mean some more activity on some of the key social maps, like chatter and wounded being transported, new messages given out through com systems implying the Iconians are there.

It could go further. Actually significantly altering some maps or at least planets on the sector space map. Visible Iconian ships in orbit, or some glowing spots on inhabited planet implying recent bombardment.

3)
    Actually creating a "Iconian War" version of the Quadrants that "qualified" players visit instead of the regular ones.

All this would cost resources to make, of course, but this is the culmination of a storyline that's been 5 years in the making. It should be worth doing. And maybe they can reuse some of the tech that would need to be developed for this for other story-arcs, too.

​​
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    Only triage a Klingon doctor needs is a corpse and an air lock.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Wouldn't wanna be treated on a Klingon ship :smile:
    Also, from now on, I'll aslo pay extra attention not to send any DOffs on exchange programs there.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Heck, even a message on screen everytime a player ship is destroyed by an Herald ship like "<shipname> was forced to retreat for repairs/destroyed, despite the bravery and sacrifice of its crew" or having every hour a fake report of planets and civilian casualties on the screen would have been nice little steps to show it's getting desperate.

They have the tech already with the announcements of grand prizes of the lockboxes, the strongest during the No-Win Scenario and the maintenance messages.

There could be daily funeral missions to attend to or visiting sickbays to motivate the wounded like during the Kobali front missions.

Or you enter a Borg Alert, play it normally, then, suddenly, the unimatrix exits warp in pieces followed by a Herald fleet you have to take down. Or you enter a Tholian red alert and you get a melee à trois with the Tholians curbstomping the borg while the Heralds are curbstomping the Tholians and you arrive in the middle.

Or you go for an Hard mission the Defera invasion map and instead of the normal objective, T'Ket or L'Miren shows up and you have to make her retreat to win.

Seriously, especially now that the Iconian campaign went from "we do what M'Tara says while L'Miren restrains T'Ket's bloodlust" to "Kill'em all!", this feels even more underwhelming.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User

~LaughingTrendy

As much as I enjoy reading the blogs, I have to agree.

They're fine as supplements to the main story. But that main story should be told in game.

The fact that they're moving on from the war next season is a big disappointment.

• Options
    robertc328robertc328 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Is it just me, or does Doctor Harza-Kull seem a lot like The Doctor from Voyager?
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Well, at least they can recycle the body. It's the Klingon thing to do.