test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vascular Regenerator no longer clears borg assimilation nanites

risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
Both the built-in version of the new research lab kit's vascular regenerator and the standard version available to all science characters aren't clearing assimilation nanites anymore.

Comments

• scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    it was onlyl a matter of time till they adapt
    you now need a vascular regenerator frequenzy modulator for 500 zen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2015
    I actually can't find evidence to suggest that Vascular Regenerator ever removed the "Assimilate" portion of the Borg ability... only the actual damage-over-time effect.

And that's confusing. Because it can register as a Cure, but not actually remove the entire effect. I'm going to update the ability to behave as you expected it to. Because, generally speaking, if a Cure removes any portion of a Debuff/DOT effect, it should probably remove the entire thing.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    pretty sure it never did. back in the day if someone got assimilated nanite health generator was the only way to save their TRIBBLE. (When I say back in the day I mean when STFs were ground and space, you went to Gamma Orionis to start it and you always went with a ground healer)

But hey, if you are going to add the cleanse to vas regen I am happy about that thanks :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • tfcivtfciv Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    As someone who enjoys Borg ground missions quite often, I can say that Vascular Regenerator did remove the debuff. As for removing the whole thing, I can't say for sure... but the green dots and mist that hovered around you went away, and there were no pink or orange debuff icons after clearing the assimilation.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I actually can't find evidence to suggest that Vascular Regenerator ever removed the "Assimilate" portion of the Borg ability... only the actual damage-over-time effect.

And that's confusing. Because it can register as a Cure, but not actually remove the entire effect. I'm going to update the ability to behave as you expected it to. Because, generally speaking, if a Cure removes any portion of a Debuff/DOT effect, it should probably remove the entire thing.

That makes sense. An entire debuff should be removed, not just part of its effect.

Just wanted to point out the STO wiki does say this http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Vascular_Regenerator#Notes.2FReferences (page last modified October 15, 2014)
    This skill is useful to counter Borg Assimilation Nanites (looks like a green version of either Nanite Health Monitor or Nanoprobe Infestation).
    **However, you have to be quick, as the Assimilation happens within 5 seconds, after which this skill will not affect the new drone

And this http://sto.gamepedia.com/Borg#Assimilation (this page was just recently modified on June 15, 2015)
    Borg drones that manage to close to within melee range of a player may attempt to use assimilation nanoprobes on them; players who fall below 25% health while under the effects of this will be assimilated and turned into drones themselves. During this state, the player is unable to control their character, who will proceed to attack any nearby friendly players or NPC's until they are defeated. This fate can be averted by the timely use of Immunosupport Nanite Injectors or the Medical Nanite Cloud ability. Vascular Regenerator (Available on Medic and Physician Science Kits) can also be used to remove the nanites.

Proof? :D
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    tfciv wrote: »
    As someone who enjoys Borg ground missions quite often, I can say that Vascular Regenerator did remove the debuff. As for removing the whole thing, I can't say for sure... but the green dots and mist that hovered around you went away, and there were no pink or orange debuff icons after clearing the assimilation.

Indeed. I must say, I think I've seen it happen a few times when vascular regenerator would remove the nanites and the green cloud, but part of the debuff would remain. I'm talking about the effect that causes the player to temporarily be stunned, it looks like you're dozing off for a few seconds.
    But this seemed to be erratic too. I'm fairly sure that a while back, VR cleared borg assimilation nanites entirely.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    pretty sure it never did. back in the day if someone got assimilated nanite health generator was the only way to save their TRIBBLE. (When I say back in the day I mean when STFs were ground and space, you went to Gamma Orionis to start it and you always went with a ground healer)

But hey, if you are going to add the cleanse to vas regen I am happy about that thanks :)

I don't know about those old times, but nowadays there's other heals that also clear the nanites. Melorazine for example. And biofilter sweep would possibly do the same, not sure there though. I'm certain, though, that VR cleared assimilation nanites, at least the green cloud and the DOT, since I've started playing ground missions. And that's probably more than 2 years ago now.

Edit: derp... didn't read Borticus' post.. should've done that first. Thanks for the rply :)