test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CLR

Hi all, whats the best CLR to use now only im still using that STO-DPS Parser.

Comments

• e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    There are 2 main parsers now in use: Combat Log Reader (CLR) and STO Combat Meter (SCM). If you want to join the original DPS League channel, you'll need SCM. SCM however is still on Open Beta. The CL-A is used for the DPS "Metals" channels.

If you don't care about DPS league membership, either will do fine. SCM is supposedly more accurate because it measures in smaller time intervals. CLR however, has a deeper drill down on your data so you can find more info about your run. I use both but I prefer CLR a bit more.

Sorry I cannot post the download links. Someone else should chime in.

I'm posting this from my phone so pardon the typos. I hope this helps.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    This is by far the best CLR.
    clr-cal-rust-lime-remover.jpg
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    STO Combat Meter can be downloaded here: http://dps.shivtr.com/news_entries/297780
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Thanx will give it a try.
  • SanoSano Member Posts: 101 Arc User
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited August 2015
    A lot of people have stopped using CLR because it also causes lag.

STO Combat Meter is designed not to tax your system while parsing, and it's prettier. I heard the developer even has mermaids hidden in it as easter eggs.
  • jb9kjb9k Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Sto combat meter looks allot nicer, and since its in .net I don't have to deal with all the security issues around java.

STO Combat Meter is designed not to tax your system while parsing, and it's prettier. I heard the developer even has mermaids hidden in it as easter eggs.

I understand you guys wanting to promote your parser but tbh isnt this like a bit too much on the marketing side of things and a lot less where truth is concerned?

I know its different in the US but here in good old germany noone is allowed to draw actual comparisons with existing products from competing companys.

Maybe thats one rule we should adopt for this whole "them vs us" stuff? Its not like we're posting everywhere imagined nonesense about you guys are we?

So come on sarcasm we know each other well enough to be civil arent we?
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    imo clr is still the winner.​​
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I've recently started using the parser from http://www.sto-dps.tk/ since I hadn't used one before and this one seemed the easiest to install and work with.

I haven't used any others, but this one seems easy enough to use and it produces very detailed reports.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    This is by far the best CLR.
    clr-cal-rust-lime-remover.jpg

Lol, nice one!

tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    Sano wrote: »

I understand you guys wanting to promote your parser but tbh isnt this like a bit too much on the marketing side of things and a lot less where truth is concerned?

I know its different in the US but here in good old germany noone is allowed to draw actual comparisons with existing products from competing companys.

Maybe thats one rule we should adopt for this whole "them vs us" stuff? Its not like we're posting everywhere imagined nonesense about you guys are we?

So come on sarcasm we know each other well enough to be civil arent we?

We prefer Capitalism, which means we can say anything we want about your product as long as it's true. If it's not true you can always sue us for slander and libel but good luck navigating your way through our legal system. Although it's still better than most but that's not saying much.
    risian4 wrote: »
    I've recently started using the parser from http://www.sto-dps.tk/ since I hadn't used one before and this one seemed the easiest to install and work with.

I haven't used any others, but this one seems easy enough to use and it produces very detailed reports.

Yeah thats the one i was using, just right for a idiot like me lol, but nothing gets updated on it anymore ie ships & it seem to give higher readings that the others.

Cant get CLR to work so will try STO Combat Meter tomorrow.

ps i only asked a question about log readers i dident mean to start a faction war.....lol
    edited August 2015
    lsegn wrote: »

We prefer Capitalism, which means we can say anything we want about your product as long as it's true. If it's not true you can always sue us for slander and libel but good luck navigating your way through our legal system. Although it's still better than most but that's not saying much.

So what you're saying is you are like Cryptic - only out for the money but give a **** about your players? And it also kind of reiterates what I was saying earlier - that the comments from sarcasm about the CLR lagging and all that was just of the "anything we want (to say) about your product" kind of statement and less on the truth side of things where we prefer to reside but feel free to well .. feel otherwise.

And in Forum terms and back to this topic its your plan to start a flame war whereever you can because "thats how we americans do it"? I was really hoping we could just be like friendly competition. Like this thread had stopped after numbers posting your link and me posting ours and everybody elses theirs if they have alternatives and be done with it. Let the player in question make his own choise.

And if you really think you need to throw imagined dirt around to be competative it kind of reeks of desperation. You must really feel like you're in a bad position and rightly so as the CLR was and still is the best looking most detailed and easy to use combat log parser out there:)
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    A little suggestion for all the log reader programmers out there:

How about building a little API in one of them where everybody can enter their own server datas with a little dropdown to choose where to send the data - and put a little php on top of it which creates the needed MySQL if needed and gives out the collected data?

This way everyone could use the same reader, feed the informations in the databases their wish aaand could even create their own database, e.g. only for their own Fleet or Armada.

Just a suggestion.
    ​​
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    And if you really think you need to throw imagined dirt around to be competative it kind of reeks of desperation. You must really feel like you're in a bad position and rightly so as the CLR was and still is the best looking most detailed and easy to use combat log parser out there:)

CLR is far from the easiest to use or most detailed, and it does waste allot of ram when you have a large log file. For people like me, and probably you, who have 20 or 30 gig of ram to throw around that's not an issue, but got to remember not everyone has that much ram.

If you really want to start a flame war keep going Sano, can rehash all the stuff your side has done if you want. I am perfectly happy to let it be, up to you.
  • nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Never had CLR cause problems with the system just clogs up after the 100mb mark. But so what works great has all the pertinent info. I'm sure SCM functions just fine as well but I prefer to stick with the known quantity personally. Either one will do the job for a baseline with no problem.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    risian4 wrote: »

the downside to that logparser is that it seems to struggle with conbat times, so it overinflated your stated dps by a huge degree. it also is not able to parse any runs other than the most recently played, unlike clr and scm.
    Cant get CLR to work so will try STO Combat Meter tomorrow.

ps i only asked a question about log readers i dident mean to start a faction war.....lol
    clr and scm both require the same steps to get them running. install, point to a combat log (even if its a txt file you renamed), say '/combatlog 1' in chat, and thats about it.

this guy does a good job showing how to install and run clr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRYHJg5_COE​​
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User

How about building a little API in one of them where everybody can enter their own server datas with a little dropdown to choose where to send the data - and put a little php on top of it which creates the needed MySQL if needed and gives out the collected data?

This way everyone could use the same reader, feed the informations in the databases their wish aaand could even create their own database, e.g. only for their own Fleet or Armada.

Just a suggestion.

You might have noticed, that there is a kind of faction war (numbers vs. metal), so its likely that neither would want to give administration away.​​
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    woodwhity wrote: »

Just a suggestion.

You might have noticed, that there is a kind of faction war (numbers vs. metal), so its likely that neither would want to give administration away.

What a pitty - and imho not very grown up.
    ​​
  • miwifbsdmiwifbsd Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    john98837 wrote: »

CLR is far from the easiest to use or most detailed, and it does waste allot of ram when you have a large log file. For people like me, and probably you, who have 20 or 30 gig of ram to throw around that's not an issue, but got to remember not everyone has that much ram.

If you really want to start a flame war keep going Sano, can rehash all the stuff your side has done if you want. I am perfectly happy to let it be, up to you.

Funny that you mention it, because right now the latest SMC version keep on crashing with 342 mb log file.

Post edited by miwifbsd on
  • dakkalvar1dakkalvar1 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    How can something cause "Lag" when it does not even run during the game? LOL. Pain in the TRIBBLE that I have to try to get a beta program to work to get back into the DPS League. What kind of self deluded narcisitic sociopaths deleted everyones membership?
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    dakkalvar1 wrote: »
    How can something cause "Lag" when it does not even run during the game?

Its not a network-lag, just a processing (/Ram /Harddrive)-lag -which only affects you- that can happen when very large logs get parsed in real time. But its in the description and you are getting explicitly warned about it when you go over 100mb (or is it 50mb now?) of the logfile every time you set "auto refresh" as activ. I didnt have a problem with multiple 100mb, but as John pointed out, it can happen on not-as-powerful machines.

Edit: Its also not a sole-problem of CLR. STO itself features a lag, when writing rights are set to strong, STO can have trouble writing large logfiles, making itself and the disk go laggy.​​
    Post edited by woodwhity on
  • brian1834brian1834 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    CLR is #$%&*. I tried it 3 times and every time it crashes my game. DON'T get it.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I can't use CLR ingame any more. It causes so much lag that I the screen basically freezes.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    SCM is the reader of the "Official" channels, take that as you will. I still prefer some aspects of CLR though, mainly how easy it is to access the detailed numbers breakdown. In SCM it is several clicks, a dropdown menu and a new window away, needlessly complicated in my opinion.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I personally use CLR and have had no problems with it. Yes, it becomes slow if log file gets too big, but so does SCM. Another thing that really makes CLR better option for me is that SCM likes to install itself nobody-knows-where (you can't change install directory), meanwhile I know exactly where CLR resides on my HDD. And then of course the fact that I'm already familiar with CLR, using SCM needs me to relearn some things.

Anyhow, for new user, both will work just fine.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I believe that rule is no longer true.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    EDIT: Seeing how this thread has too much 'us' vs. 'them' in it, let me just withdraw my comments, lest it be used to fuel anything negative.
    Post edited by meimeitoo on
    3lsZz0w.jpg