Install Arc
Options

Announcing Season 11 - New Dawn!

Comments

• Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited August 2015

hypl wrote: »
    That trailer was really sad. Not because of the Iconian War, but because Cryptic continues to peddle it as "epic."

There was nothing epic about the war. This was a self contained story that had no impact on the rest of the game. Nothing was lost. Nothing was devastated. Nothing has really changed. Nothing. I've essentially resorted to head-canon to fill in the lack of epicness and severity in the conflict since Cryptic failed to deliver.

That being said, I do look forward to new content and systems, and more gradual improvements like addressing server load issues to make the game more stable and fun to play again.

I had the same feeling with the trailer. The first half minute I think with the Iconian war highlighted how bad the whole war thing was done. To me it was a epic failure like you said that had no impact on the game.

If they couldn't change the established star map then they needed to have a additional star map directly affected by the war.
  • Options
    solax79solax79 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    The trailer was alright, but I'm just glad for what all is coming! Good job, Cryptic!
    99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The Star Trek Online team is pleased to announce the epic conclusion of the five-year Iconian War story arc with Star Trek Online: Season 11 – New Dawn!

Learn more about it here!

~LaughingTrendy

Umm, .............. excuse me? I'm confused, again.

Does this mean all those ships I went through in the last five years, and finally disposed of from the last five years, are now having some kind of value that I no longer have at my disposal?

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

iconians wrote: »
    All I can say is I really hope that "New Dawn" is an apology season. STO's Highlander 3 to Highlander 2, if you will.

Ummm, wasn't Highlander 3 just a remake for all intents and purposes to the original Highlander with minor changes and updated effects?
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Seeing that trailer put together a picture in my head.

The article says "...to announce the epic conclusion of the five-year Iconian War story arc with Star Trek Online: Season 11 – New Dawn!" and people seem to forget something:

"It was too short!"
    Far from it. The thing has been building up through the entire story remember??

"It didn't feel like a war!"
    Granted, our angle of view on the entire conflict is limited. First, we can't be everywhere at once. Second, the Tales of the War blogs were perfect to tell us just how bad things are. Third, I think we'll see the true devastation when (to us) new, never visited, Herald-devastated systems will be added, and our job will be to help rebuild them. That's my take on the execution of it. Minimal impact on what we have, yet we will see just how bad the war was.

The Iconian War is FAR from over! Seen the trailer? Heralds at ESD and the station in pieces again? From where I'm sitting we can expect at least 1, maybe 2 more feature episodes, and the big showdown will come with season 11's launch.

I'm hoping (goooood I'm so hoping) that exploration will be good. :smile:

As for what's left after the Icos are defeated...

For one, they can always make the Iconians retreat and act from the shadows again. They did it once, 200,000 years ago. T'Ket may yet take sole control over the Heralds and become the leader of a rogue faction (or the remaining vengeful survivor because maybe more Iconians will die, who knows) that is hell-bent on destroying us, and I'm guessing that her close scrape with death plus seeing M'Tara fall, made her more careful than ever.

Another idea: Sela was away all this time gathering allies, yes?

I'm guessing she wasn't politicking to make "old enemies, people don't talk to us, or have different views on the state of things" like us and rally to help us from the kindness of their hearts.

We may be looking at the beginning of an STO version of the Typhon Pact from the novels.

We'll see.

Also what the heck was that thing in the trailer? A planet? A star? Some anomaly?
    Heck it can be Sha Ka Ree for all we know!

*excited*

*q*
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 696 Arc User
    YAY!! I think someone finally remembered when we used to be explorers!

Personally, I'm glad to see the Iconian War get wrapped quickly. I'll bet that the "war" was the end of the lingering ideas of the old Executive Producer, and this return to the Explore-Strange-New-Worlds feeling of, you know, actual Star Trek, is the dawn of the work of the new Executive Producer. The grindy, greedy, war-mongering power-creep policies of the old regime will be justly swept into the dustbin of history, and a bright New Dawn is on the horizon!

Or not. It could just be another overhyped bunch of buggy half-baked ideas, but I prefer to see the glass as half-full.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    [SNIP]
    Against the Iconians via Proxies, Vaduuwar, Elachi, Solanae, Tal Shiar, Heralds, Undine, Gorn Seperatists, the Voth (sort of), even the Kazon who sided with the Vaduuwar. Even in a way the Federation and KDF thanks to the Undine.

From my Gorn alt:

[Gorn voice]
    Gorn Ssseparatissstsss?!? What makesss you think that WE have anything to do with the Iconiansss?
    We're jussst pi***ed at the Klingonsss becaussse we got ROFLssstomped. We jussst want to be free again! Sssurely you Federation typesss can underssstand that!

Iconiansss! Pfffft!
    [/Gorn voice]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    the trailer unceremoniously dumped the iconian war off the side just like that and now into obsurity where it belongs, quickly forgotten. there was so much potential for this war cryptic created and instead get the player involved in tiny sequences of a "war" that i had no feel for that it happened. they could of done a lot but they didnt, what a waste,

anyways, now this "war" is over, now what? an iconian gateway system left behind that leads to the andromeda galaxy? why explore a galaxy that has for all intents and purposes already scanned, prodded, beat up and thrown around like a dead horse being flogged. apart from most of the gamma quadrant, i dont see this "exploration" expansion being anything more then a fad before conflict rears its ugly head once more. see how long it takes before your back to mass murder.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I agree with most people that the Iconian war felt more like an Iconian skirmish. No Iconian Red Alert, no battlezone, it was completely unconvincing. If there hadn't been some tales of war now and then I would have completely forgotten that there's a war going on. Anyway I'm glad it's going to end very soon. And I'm very hyped about the exploration focus of the new season. Hopefully "exploration" will not be another patrol mission with combat from beginning to end.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    If its just another doff system, i am out of the game, done investing my time. Make it interesting AND rewarding cryptic, or your gonna finally kill er off.

Had a thought though, if it feels like season 11.5 could bring my boffs to command these ships, i might stick around. Seriously, make it interesting AND rewarding, and yeah, ill keep playing.

And please, just give pvp a dilithium reward of 480 to the loser(s), 1440 to the winner(s) and make it viable again. Just nerf those ground maps so people cannot diligram. That or give it an EC bonus to the winner that is like 500k EC. Something. Give us a reason to PVP.
  • Options
    skylarcometskylarcomet Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    wardcalis wrote: »
    not a single mention or even a single nod towards Romulans or KDF, Cryptic is a douche

Yeah, I pretty much thought "Is this Star Trek Online, or Starfleet Online?" with the complete lack of acknowledgment of anything other than the the feds.
    >:)ruff, meow, moo, whatever.... *shrug*
    [ Still Waiting for a Shiny New T6 Romulan Science Ship to Command ]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    I was optimistic until it was confirmed the admiralty system is just the doff system and wonder whether we will get some new story content rather than this once every month situation
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The fact that we get out of it somehow alive is pretty much given. :smile: Otherwise they might as well come out with STO2, reset the whole thing, or close it.

It's not the destination. It's HOW we get there.

(and fyi I never spent a penny on this, sorry for liking a game and not having the same opinion)
    -
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Personally, while I think it sounds like a cool season, I was disappointed to hear that it's coming out so soon.

There are still many issues with server latency/lag, there are broken powers and abilities etc. and the team is focused on 'the next big thing.'

We just got a nerf to Science Consoles because Bort basically told us they don't have time to fix them the right way.. is this why? So we can rush out a new season?

I like the ideas, but the game isn't ready for this yet. I understand the pressure to keep moving forward, but I wish that just once.. Cryptic would stop.. take a breath and deal with what we currently have. This game has some pressing needs that aren't getting met because everyone is working on new content.

I kinda do agree with you a bit. I think Cryptic should wait until all the bugs, errors, and complaints are taken care of first. Otherwise, it'll be like the opening day on LOR expansion all over again.

At the same time, I also I looking forward ro seeing this come out soon just because I want to move on. The Iconian arc to me is just a big waste of time os far. Other than the destruction of the Preservers' base & taking out T'Ket & M'Tara, this whole arc is just boring to me.

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well, 5 years of build-up and I can't help but think that if it was a CGI series, T'Ket's would look at the script of the Iconian War, the announcement of season 11 and its trailer, and say "are you freaking kidding me? In the last episode, we curbstomp the whole allied fleet, M'Tara loses to a plot-induced stupidity, L'Miren goes full evil despite being previously aware the Alliance is more dangerous than they look and promises the whole galaxy will be destroyed, and now, before the situation is even hinted to be resolved, a announcement basically says the Alliance wins in a way and goes back to its previous business of exploration nearly as if nothing happened? I didn't lose an arm and start chewing the scenery to be tossed aside like a forgettable villain of the week! *slams the gateway*"

What the heck is this timing?

At least, wait until the "war" is over before making the New Dawn announcement.

It's like having a commercial in the middle of Year of Hell part 2 and when it comes back to the episode, there is a loud announcement saying "stay tuned for the next episode! After the Year of Hell timeline was completely reset, follow the adventures of the now-unharmed starship Voyager!".

Merely mentioning the admirality system would have allowed for a better reception, like "Oh no, the war is going so badly we have to take our older ships out of dry dock and assign our trusted officers as temporary captains to stand a chance!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I welcome that we are allowed to possibly send our inactive ships on DOFFs missions, but what I was really hoping for was actually commanding a party (or duo) of ships. That is to say, me flying the player ship and then having a "companion" ship at my side. The companion ship would then benefit from what gear you equip it with and which ship you have chosen etc. I think it would be very fun to create your very own build and the build of your companion ship.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    While the trailer doesn't seem like anything special, the ideas and concepts behind it are magnificent. On top of that, the description of what's coming, with the Admiralty system on its way as well. Oh boy guys. Oh boy.
  • Options
    urmuz1urmuz1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Oh, nooo. I've spent so much time grinding i've missed an entire war.
    Not an ARC user
  • Options
    ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    PURE SPECULATION:
    I have a feeling that blue planet will have a big role in a story - look on letter D in New Dawn title...
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yeah I would soooo like to know what it exactly is.

It does look familiar to me though.

Search "Sha Ka Ree" on Memory Alpha :smile:

This early though, I could be totally wrong X)
    -
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    dado75 wrote: »
    Update!

So I'm going to be updating our official announcement with more exciting stuff later in the day, so be sure to stay tuned.

~LT

OH YEAH, PVP revamp is coming.

Nah, they're putting back the old STF's !!!

• Options
    odoetalodoetal Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Doctor-Who-Star-Trek-crossover.jpg
    ahh so thats who the ''other'' was and the reson we defeated&how we defeated the iconians will be retconned becouse of wibbly wobbly timey
    timey wimey stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw
    previous evidence of this was in voyager
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UEkkvpcSg
    continually bash the new story arc & the Doctor will throw you into this temporal loop
    cm-29665-050949daa2c36d.gif
    while playing this tune
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhAq3F8NCE for all eternity

just remember there are no toilets on the enterprise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5er5xQnjQ&index=6&list=PLBrz0CctEXH7uu4PqrN8fvCPRnqQ56xfN
    i highly doubt they give a TRIBBLE
    so shut up an have some fun :D

Post edited by odoetal on
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Well... about time to end it.

I am indeed curious as to what awaits us in the upcoming Season... hopefully it will also include a Major Update to the Foundry :)
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    tarran62tarran62 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Looks like ESD takes another hard hit, wonder if its coming up in the next few missions?
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    If history plays out correctly S11 will drop in November-early decemberish.

Nope, we have already been told S11 comes out next month(Sept).

Thank you for reinforcing my lack of reading skills! :)

More to the point!!! HELLLLLZ YEAH!! The trailor looks fantastic! Well,,, good anyway... but they did give away the ending of the Iconian war arc a little bit. WE WIN!!! No surprise, at all.

One more note.. some people say the " war was too short" and while the actual battle with the iconians only lasted a few episodes,, the overall war story has been almost the entire history of the game! The iconians were just hiding and manipulating things from behind scenes up until recently. It's actually an interesting story if you look at it as a whole. I too would have liked a bit more out of the Actual Iconian fighting,, but then again,, they are SOOOO annoying with all of there RED ZONE OF DEATH and FLOATING CLOUD OF DOOM ground stuff,, and those damn " RAM IT UP YOUR TAILPIPE" space fighter things,, I wont miss THAT. Besides,,, I still have MANY toons to run through those missions,, I wont be done with the Iconians for a LONNGGGGG time.

Alright, well I hope S 11 turns out awesome, and the Admiralty system is as cool as it sounds.
    ow and... DOOOOOOMMMM AND GLOOOOOOMM,, and GLOOOOOOM and,,, nevermind...

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    I would like to see the Borg become a legitimate threat.

They were a legitimate threat ... , when all we had were Mk X-XI weapons .

Then the F2P came and the 'gamers' came and the powercreep came and now they're the "look how fast I can tick these hitboxes -- look I can do it even faster , look at my numbers , woohoo!!! " .

So yeah , back to the Borg ... .
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Haven't bothered with posting since the forum migration. This topic caught my eye. Cryptic laid an egg with Delta Rising. Then, they compounded the error by laying another egg with the War Which Is Not A War.

Lately, they've been churning out ships like mad. New ships, while nice to have, ARE NOT "new content".

Exploration and First Contact had better be a huge improvement over the old "go here and scan/shoot five things" which used to pass for Exploration. Anything less might be the fatal miscalculation which finally makes Perfect World pull the plug on STO

I want to believe finally we have people in control who can rein in Gecko's epic fails. I want to believe this time Cryptic can turn STO into the Star Trek game I wanted all along. To be fair, STO is fairly enjoyable as it is right now.

But it has not been Star Trek enough for a very long time. Takes more than guest stars and using specific words from the series and films to make a game Star Trek like.

I want to believe. Really I do. Like most players, I want Cryptic to succeed and I want this game to be successful. So I can get my Star Trek fix by being a better Captain than Picard, by following the regulations Janeway ignored, by being a bigger hero than Kirk.

But I am uncertain they can pull it off.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    In all honesty, slightly underwhelming, at least in my opinion; even if I set aside my own feelings, and preferences, in terms of content - Yes, I am a Voy fan & would love to see more of Delta Quadrant instead; DS9 is not my favorite series and the whole Cardassian/Dominion thing, is just not my cup of tea coffee. That being off my chest, DS9 still had some great points, as series, so to go down the line, in what they announced - Bringing back Mirror universe, which imho, was the weakest part of DS9 series. DS9 had surely much more interesting moments than that. At the very least, I would love to see them give people playable Cardassians; that's been requested over & over, and this would be a perfect opportunity for that, since S11 is focused around DS9, so let it be the stuff people actually want? - not necessarily as a new faction, but, there's plenty of story-potential with that; even if they are "just" new species for people to play.

Ship-doffing? Ehh.. also doesn't bring my excitement up at all. Doffing itself is something you could literally click in an app on your smart-phone, it doesn't give us more ways to play the game and be active in it. A mini-game at best. And yet, it seems to be a thing they promote as 'big thing' in S11. Concerning, as far as I am concerned - I'd hope for something else to be a 'selling point/high point' of an entirely new season.

On another note - I am glad they are ending the Iconian plot. Up until now, everything we did, with the exception of few things, was tied to them. It'd be neat to see something new, and enticing, which doesn't equal mass murder again. I do hope they will end the war in somewhat dignified and Trek way; rather than using the Krenim weapon and erase all of this - as it'd invalidate and cheapen literally everything happening until now. (Not going into the discussion, how little our character's actions actually mattered - we were merely observers, on a backseat, rather than having any real meaning.. but that'd be a long discussion for another topic...)

Regardless - I know it's too early to make guesses or pass very harsh critisms, as to if this will be good or bad - let's just say that somehow, the whole announcement does feel rather... lack-luster to me. I will be very happy if they roll out something fantastic for people to enjoy, though, so leaving that out in the open.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Why are we rushing to finish the Iconian War?

Because after dragging out this plot for the past five years, it's about freaking time the writers actually gave us something new.

Actually , they dragged the Klingon war out for 4 years, and then killed it with the magic of friendship .
    The Iconian war was DOA, out classed by the less boring conflicts that came before it due to the cartoon story telling formula : a show is only as good as it's villain .
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    People were wondering if the game was going to end with the Iconian War, now that it's announced that it's not, people are saying it was too short. Had it been stretched out over more story arcs, people would say that Cryptic is grinding it out. Besides the last arc would be considered anti-climatic, regardless of how many more arcs was made to extend this war further.

Honestly speaking, it would have been cool to have a season where the temporal reality was altered for a season due to the use of the Krenim Timeship. Maybe something along the lines of the Mirror Universe. But even with the number of MU skins that were already made for starships (such as maps -starbases and starship interiors, for example) it'd take far more than that to pull off a transition that really won't last that long even if the story-arc was extended.

And even if these changes are only visible during the story arc, it'd be like returning to the older reality when the player goes back to ESD/Romulan Command/First City to sell of extra gear/get a new ship, etc.