test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Now I know what the new Excelsior should have looked like...

dark4blooddark4blood Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    That? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that design isn't any good.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I think it looks much better then the Resolute, but as warmaker said.. beauty in the eye of the beholder.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    Just looks like a retextured Excelsior with a slightly different deflector and nacelles similar to the Avenger.

Not saying it's horrible but it's not exactly revolutionary either...least the way it is now people can fly it and not have to look like the Excelsior if they feel the Excelsior itself is to old...or go for old school Excelsior and Enterprise B/Lakota.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'm guessing OP wanted something like as a return to the classic TOS style. I like the Resolute. It looks like something that the Starfleet of 2410 would fly.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    Would have perferred this one:

http://jetfreak-7.deviantart.com/art/USS-Archangel-157834130

by the same person.​​
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    Would have perferred this one:

http://jetfreak-7.deviantart.com/art/USS-Archangel-157834130

by the same person.​​

Interesting design, seems a mesh of the Excelsior and the Sovereign. I would be interested to see that design from a few more angles.
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I would have very much preferred something like this, the Excelsior MK II from the Fleet Operations mod:

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/3/2220/FOScreenShot_110618_121116.png

Another view of the original and the MK II next to each other:

http://www.fleetops.net/forum/download/file.php?id=13486

Sorry, but those guys make way better Starfleet vessels than Cryptic ever did. This is how IMO you stay true to the original while making it look more advanced.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    That? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that design isn't any good.

This is why it's impossible.

There is nothing we could ever do that would please everyone. If we went with a different design, some of the people who are upset now, wouldn't be, and some of the people who aren't, would be. Catch-22.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

There is nothing we could ever do that would please everyone. If we went with a different design, some of the people who are upset now, wouldn't be, and some of the people who aren't, would be. Catch-22.

This is entirely true... However... Just for the fun of it, try to have the model designers make the next 2-3 models less bulky...

Anyways, while I am rather surprised by this, you guys have gone to great lengths to actually allow people to go with their preferred designs over being forced to use your's so you have that going for you... which is nice.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited July 2015

The question is *not* whether this new ship design pleases everyone (which is obviously impossible), but whether it pleases the majority of people. I admit that I do not *personally* like this new design, but I don't claim to speak for any majority. The sales numbers will speak for themselves, and at the end of the day that is really all that matters.

My main point, however, is that it is *not* a "damned if you do, damned if you don't", or "Catch-22" type situation. It is a "damned if you don't...please the majority" situation. In business, it's ok and acceptable if *some* people don't like something, as long as the *majority* do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I would have very much preferred something like this, the Excelsior MK II from the Fleet Operations mod:

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/3/2220/FOScreenShot_110618_121116.png

Another view of the original and the MK II next to each other:

http://www.fleetops.net/forum/download/file.php?id=13486

Sorry, but those guys make way better Starfleet vessels than Cryptic ever did. This is how IMO you stay true to the original while making it look more advanced.

Yes, that design for new Excelsior seems the best I've seen so far, and it's pretty good ship too. Very powerful and resilient. Too bad that STO ship designers haven't come up with something similar. Saucer and nacelles of Resolute seem just out of place. I only hope they won't do something similar with T6 Sovereign design.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

Isn't this where customized skins(choosing a list of 3 or 4 different body styles, saucer types etc.) come into play and help increase the numbers to please?

I really would have thought this would have been expanded more when new ships were released.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User

im curious who is happy with ... Scryer . I am a architect , i know all about aesthetics and pleasing the customer , but that model is a abomination. It has no line .
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I just had to weigh in with the sea of negativity that I really, really like the new design. In fact, the original Excelsior I've never had or ever considered getting because to be it's one of the worst in the entire series for my eyes. This is a nice fresh take and a sleeker update...and I won't bother going into all the reasons why.

I'm currently flying a Resolute and I'm really enjoying it.

Oh and I've said before...you can't design by committee.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I just had to weigh in with the sea of negativity that I really, really like the new design. In fact, the original Excelsior I've never had or ever considered getting because to be it's one of the worst in the entire series for my eyes.

Regardless of our difference in subjective visual taste, I think your comments make an important point: this new design looks pretty much nothing like the Excelsior. And I think that is the root of any "problem" that people have with it. I mean, you just said you thought the Excelsior is one of the WORST designs, yet you REALLY like this design. The fact that you have 2 polar opposite opinions about the Excelsior and this ship show that they look nothing alike.

If you are going to make a T6 Excelsior, it should look like an Excelsior. And if you don't want it to look like an Excelsior, than don't even mention the Excelsior, because that only creates false expectations.

PS: I am referring specifically to statements like this:

This Tier 6 starship is based upon the original design of the Excelsior Class starship.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9456293-star-trek-online:-t6-resolute-adv.-heavy-cruiser
    This starship is an enhanced version of the Excelsior Class Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9457263-star-trek-online:-resolute-heavy-cruiser-stats

Saying this ship is "based on the Excelsior" or is an "enhanced version" of the Excelsior is like saying the Galaxy class is "based on" the Constitution. Um, yeah they both have a saucer and 2 nacelles, but they are obviously very different visually. The only thing about this ship that looks remotely like the Excelsior is the lower hull. Other than that, no part of this ship looks anything like the Excelsior. And that's fine...as long as you aren't telling people it's based on the Excelsior.

My "dislike" of this ship is based more on it's bad marketing and false expectations it created than the actual design of the ship.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Again, Eye of the Beholder. I think the T6 resembles the Excelsior in so far as it was based on that design.

False expectations? Hardly. It was released without anyone expecting it.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The linked pics from Deviantart are not to my tastes as far as an updated AHC goes.

I have to agree with cmdrscarlet above. You can definitely see the Excelsior linage in the Resolute.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Again, Eye of the Beholder. I think the T6 resembles the Excelsior in so far as it was based on that design.

Yes, anyone can use the "eye of the beholder" line to say that anything looks like anything else. I can say that the Constitution "resembles" an Imperial Star Destroyer, and when someone disagrees with me I can just say "eye of the beholder!". But beyond both being shades of grey(no pun intended), I couldn't actually *explain* any other visual resemblance.

As I said earlier, I agree the lower hull of this new ship looks like an Excelsior's lower hull, but other than that, no part on this ship looks like an Excelsior to me. The Saucers look nothing alike. The nacelles look nothing alike. So 2/3 of the main parts of the ship(saucer, nacelle, and lower hull) look nothing like the Excelsior, to me. If you disagree, that's fine; I'm not saying you are wrong. But please explain in what ways you see the resemblance. Other than having 2 nacelles and a saucer, since that is true of the majority of Fed ships. So I guess you could say most Fed ships "resemble" each other in a broad sense.

False expectations? Hardly. It was released without anyone expecting it.

They may not have expected this ship specifically, but people were expecting the eventual release of a T6 Excelsior. And we have been told that that is what this is, in the quotes I posted previously.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I have to agree with cmdrscarlet above. You can definitely see the Excelsior linage in the Resolute.

Again, not saying you are wrong. But I pose the same question to you as I did to cmdrscarlet in my last post. In what specific ways do you think they look alike?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    kerygan wrote: »

im curious who is happy with ... Scryer . I am a architect , i know all about aesthetics and pleasing the customer , but that model is a abomination. It has no line .

While I don't disagree with you, there are a LOT of people who like the Scryer simply because of the signature on the original piece of concept art that the Scryer drew inspiration from.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    I just had to weigh in with the sea of negativity that I really, really like the new design. In fact, the original Excelsior I've never had or ever considered getting because to be it's one of the worst in the entire series for my eyes.

Regardless of our difference in subjective visual taste, I think your comments make an important point: this new design looks pretty much nothing like the Excelsior. And I think that is the root of any "problem" that people have with it. I mean, you just said you thought the Excelsior is one of the WORST designs, yet you REALLY like this design. The fact that you have 2 polar opposite opinions about the Excelsior and this ship show that they look nothing alike.

If you are going to make a T6 Excelsior, it should look like an Excelsior. And if you don't want it to look like an Excelsior, than don't even mention the Excelsior, because that only creates false expectations.

Perhaps I should clarify.

I never liked the hull of the Excelsior specifically, personally preferring the sleeker Constitution Refit. The Excelsior to me was "bulky" and didn't convey speed or power. It was more like a period in design that was perhaps more practical in the early 80s with influences of the time that resulted in it being visually thicker and slower-looking...almost whale-like. And thats not an accident because the design of the Excelsior was personally picked by Leonard Nimoy who directed III and then co-wrote and directed IV - about you guessed it...saving whales.

This newer version I can see is based-on the former with the hull basic shape/idea and the long nacelles, but has the sleek, stylized design of the newer ships. To me it IS an update to the original and NOT a polar opposite as you suggest from my comment.

In fact, I've looked at a few polls (small numbers so low statistical value - generally less than 1000 votes) and I have yet to see the Excelsior voted above the bottom 3 (and it's usually last place). Yes it's a cherished design among some people and I get that. I wouldn't have ever thought of creating threads to push my own design ideals on others. It was put in the game...enjoy it. It's just not my thing. The Resolute is the Excelsior I want and given that Cryptic opened the skins for it on their own for release...fans of the original can have the T6 they want too.

Not sure how that can be disappointing. Such is the internet.

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

First taco, thanks for continuing to be one of the ones to talk to us and engage us. Second thanks for your work and your team's work. If only writing kept up with the quality of art.

Frankly I kinda like the new design, but they hyper-spoon saucer I don't like.. on any design. The basic spoon saucer on the Sovereign and Intrepid were ok but not something I really loved either, tho imo it worked better on the Sovereign. The only other kibbitz I have is the 2410 nacelle theme... ugly imo and very much not a fan. The Sovereign did a good nacelle imo, and I'm not sure why STO has moved so far from that idea...

Then again I'm probably a bad one to talk to because starfleet design aesthetics peaked in the movie era imo :D
  • Options
    artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    ummm the point of updating a design is so that it falls in line with modern aesthetics.

The new saucer shape is great cause its (roughly) the same shape as the Starfleet logo. An the nacelles had to be adjusted for a sleeker look as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Perhaps I should clarify.

I have to admit, I'm kind of getting a different message from your earlier post. Earlier, you said the Excelsior design was one of the WORST in the ENTIRE series. Now, you are saying you just didn't like it that much, in comparison with the sleeker Connie. That you didn't like the original Excelsior design I'm clear on, but you seem to have shifted from seemingly hating it to it simply not being your cup of tea. Did you have a change of heart, or am I misreading you?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I'm thinking a lot of people would be less upset if the word "Excelsior" was never mentioned in the Resolute's description.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I never liked the hull of the Excelsior specifically, personally preferring the sleeker Constitution Refit. The Excelsior to me was "bulky" and didn't convey speed or power. It was more like a period in design that was perhaps more practical in the early 80s with influences of the time that resulted in it being visually thicker and slower-looking...almost whale-like.
    Most of the original stuff I saw on the Excelsior, aside from its experimental transwarp drive, had it being a BattleShip... it wasnt designed to be an escort, it was designed to hammer things...
  • Options
    While I personally don't care for the Resolute design, I think Cryptic handled it very well by allowing people that purchase the ship to use all previous Excelsior skins.

I think that's a great solution myself, if you don't like the new design.. no sweat.. just slap on the classic design you already know and love. You can even mix and match them to make the ship look the way you want.

As Taco said, you can't please everyone, it's impossible. But the approach they used is, in my opinion, the best way to handle it. Any fan of the Excelsior can easily turn the Resolute into a design that they like.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    There are two big risks Cryptic has when making a new variant costume:

1) Making it too similar, so you don't actually see any major differences. The Veteran Destroyers are very much like that (but get saved a bit by at least for the Feds adding a feature that really makes the whole design better), the Vestas or the Dyson Destroyers.
    2) Making it too different, so that the parts don't seem to fit on any other ship. The Pathfinder might be the best example for that happening. The Saucer and the Hull section cannot really be separately, you always get ugly areas that might not be outright seams, but just don't look neat.

The two biggest chances for new variants:
    1) Offer pieces that can actually fix some flaws in the original options. (Best counter-example here: The Recon Science Vessel. IT doesn't matter what variant you pick, the whole hull/deflector section looks awful. )
    2) Offer more variety to create your individual look.

The Resolute seems to me a bit more positive example. It adds new option that can be used to create new looks and work together. Mostly - I am not sure about the pylons and nacelles.

If you just want to fine-tune your Excelsior - there are already the parts of the Lakota Retrofit and there are also a few new materials available now at Tier 6. But if you want an individual look, the Resolute adds the right parts for it.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

I have to admit, I'm kind of getting a different message from your earlier post. Earlier, you said the Excelsior design was one of the WORST in the ENTIRE series. Now, you are saying you just didn't like it that much, in comparison with the sleeker Connie. That you didn't like the original Excelsior design I'm clear on, but you seem to have shifted from seemingly hating it to it simply not being your cup of tea. Did you have a change of heart, or am I misreading you?

Yes, correct. I said "it's one of the worst in the entire series for my eyes" so if I made a personal list of all the Trek ships then the Excelsior would be a the bottom. Just because it's my personal worst doesn't mean I need hate it with passion, which is why I wanted to clarify. There is no change of heart.

I also explained why I dislike it in terms broader than a single word as to why I would rate it such.

I'd also rank the Reliant way down personally too, because I was never a fan of just the saucer with no hull. Again...personal design taste. All design, artwork, food, movies, etc, etc is subjective like that. Some like the old ship and some don't. Some like the new ship and some don't. Neither "side" is invalidated in any way.