What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request for increased cap limit on ships

2»

Comments

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    dragnridr wrote: »
    orion0029 wrote: »
    While I don't condone trolling, griefing, cyberbullying, etc... Such behavior is to be expected when hosting a party in a public area, Cryptic should really allow 'Private instances' of otherwise public zones for players to host events on, much like how Fleet holding instances are private. In lieu of that, an increased player limit on starship bridges to say 35-40 should be sufficient to for players to host events/parties and invite enough people.

I'm not making any excuses for the (insert appropriate descriptor here) players who cause trouble at these kind of events, I'm simply stating that when events are hosted in public you can't control who can show up and you will enevitably get 'undesireables' showing up to ruin things.

Now, if nobody minds, since I've stated my opinions I'm going to refrain from touching this thread as I suspect that it will get a bit 'hot' soon...

Peace and long life.

So, just because you don't condone the behavior, does that make it right to watch it happen and do nothing? Doing nothing is just the same as being an accessory.
    If you truly don't condone that behavior, you would not stand idly by and let it happen, you would do something to stop it. If you were treated the same way, would you not want someone to step in and make things right? I know I would.

Alright, I'll bite...

1. I originally stumbled across this thread thinking it was a request to increase the maximum ship roster cap, but it wasn't.

2. I did not attend the party in question, so I could not have assisted if I wanted to, and if I did want to help, there is little I could do in an MMO to stop/prevent a griefer/troll from doing anything.

3. Complaining about being trolled/griefed in a game on the forums is basically asking to be trolled/griefed on the forums.

4. Cryptic has a rather poor track record of enforcing their TOS, unless it's something so obvious it can be seen from orbit, such as if I were to call you a (insert deroratory name here).

5. Speaking out against trolls/griefers in the forums only leads to arguments and potentially bans, unfortunately not for the griefers/trolls as they tend to be experts at instigating arguments and provoking people into breaking TOS without actually breaking the rules themselves.

Suffice it to say, I am not directly involved in this issue and only stumbled upon this thread thinking it was something else, so if you don't mind I'll withdraw myself from it. Unless you, or anyone else, insists on speaking to me further about my lack of interest in a potential flame-war that this thread will likely become before it enevitably gets closed.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT approve, support, or condone trolling/griefing in any way, I just don't have anything useful or constructive to add to this particular instance. Aside from spewing hateful comments about trolls there is little that anyone can really do except report them and move on... unfortunately. :/
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    OP, if you were silly enough to report someone to the police for standing near you in an MMO, you'll be the one arrested instead of them. The police don't like it when people waste their time.
  • suzanna3suzanna3 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    So, back to the topic, which is a request for increase of cap limit on the amount we can invite for parties/events to our ships, because of the reasons shown in my original post.

singularity_zps539276de.jpg
  • walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think is a reasonable solution to the problem.. amonst other things.. as far as this guy
    shazia9191 all i can say is this.... Its the same denial tactic as usual.. nothing new to ad but your own persanal ego.. in your own fleet mission statement you say that you are agenst all child molesters... well ok good for you.. and yet... somehow i just dont believe you. yes the people in the video are not children yayaya can hear it already... but if you suport and defend the actions of your own fleet members doing this to someone.. wow.. no way you are serious about anything you say.. even when the evidence is right in front of you... found an intresting thing.. its not the only video out there... there are a lot of vids of dental trolling and harassing players in there... some of which is posted by there own fleet members braging about it.. my wife and kids play on this game as well ... so if you support the actions on all the videos... then there is no way you can mean anything you say... therefore no credibility... i wouldnt let my family play anywhere near your fleet and branch fleets... not if this is condoned behavior... and from previous posts mentiond here... Incouraged...

• protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    I would request that this thread not be about anyone or their behavior, but about the requested improvement alone. Otherwise, it will simply be locked.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    protogoth wrote: »
    I would request that this thread not be about anyone or their behavior, but about the requested improvement alone. Otherwise, it will simply be locked.

Indeed, I would approve of a higher player cap on ship interiors. I personally don't have the need to invite more than half a dozen or so people to my ship, but I don't host parties either.

Upping the limit to 35-40 wouldn't kill the servers would it?
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    It's ok guys, it looks like they've got top men going after that horrible troll.

Ro2YCHU.jpg
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Do people think a felony was committed? Yes, it is classified as a felony. Assault, Stalking, harassment. That was just to name a few. Susanna specifically ask for the troll to leave her alone and give her space. If the situation was in real life, he would have been arrested. And from what I have found out, that laws in real life also apply to MMOs and the internet. So YES, laws were broken and he has been reported to the authorities. So if Cryptic/PWE doesn't do something, then the police department will.

Yeah I'm currently serving multiple life sentences after shooting multiple people in the head with a laser rifle (that's murder you guys) and then thrusting my crotch at them suggestively (aggravated sexual battery). I'm fairly certain the Internet Police willing be cracking down on the organized murder clubs (or PVP queues as us hard core criminals call them) any day now.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    suzanna3 wrote: »
    So, back to the topic, which is a request for increase of cap limit on the amount we can invite for parties/events to our ships, because of the reasons shown in my original post.

Support. But not just for the reasons you describe. Increased capacity on ships can mean more room for large Armada meetings, since leaders like to show their ships and if you have leaders like we do, throw bridge parties.

In regards to those trolls, I have fought them longer and more vocally than almost any other player; the result being I know their methods and tactics in depth. There should not have to be strict enforcement and admins, but in the absence of players behaving responsibly and using common sense, that is the only real solution, apart from real world laws which deprive anonymity to those engaging in harmful behavior online.

The problem is compounded by the unrealistic expectation that when faced with provocative or harmful behavior you should do nothing, indeed you must do nothing. If someone tries to assault you in the real world and you shoot them, there's not a single court of law which is going to convict you for defending yourself. Here, the lax nature of enforcement turns things in their favor and they even rub it in by telling everyone if you use their tactics on them, you become a troll in return.

Not doing anything works only when there is a higher power which intervenes. If that isn't there, and good people are not allowed to defend themselves accordingly, then you have a state of imbalance and that is what we are facing now. There needs to be a better deterrent than just a set of words on a page, which is why I advocate an in-game automatic point system so troublemakers automatically ban themselves through their own behavior.

Increasing ship capacity or other such ideas is just a quick-fix solution, it will not resolve the real cause which will continue until the message it is not tolerated is clearly sent by those in authority.
    ​​
    Post edited by xtern1ty on
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    Now, I know my fleet tags alone will trigger most of you, and that this likely will not even be read by the "offended" party, but, is it just me or does the radio party crowd have no grasp at all on reality anymore?

Note I am also not saying this following to try and troll or trigger you, but to remind you of simple facts and encourage you to maybe take a step back and see things from a different perspective.

This is a game.

A Star Trek internet game, one advertised as an MMO, not a selective multiplayer experience like a LAN party.

However, as you all insist on comparing this to the real world, this means dealing with other people, including those of differing opinions, attitudes, or appearances to yourselves and your personal ideals.

Just as you would have to in the real world.

Speaking of, how do you people even function out there?

Really, I want to know what your average trip to the grocery store looks like by now, if all you can do is repeatedly have a complete meltdown the second a player in an MMO game who does not look, act, or behave the way you personally desire, even comes remotely near you, or even stands there doing absolutely nothing on the same public map space.

Seriously, what do you do if you are, for any reason, required to stand in line with, pass by, or share a public space with people of whom you do not approve?

How many shouting and insult sessions, or even attempts at violence, do real world encounters end in for you?

How often do you phone the cops or have them phoned on you for your own behavior?

How often do said calls, if they occur, end with you in the vagrant cage or off to see the white coat rabbit against your will?

Or maybe this isn't how you act at all out there, but take a moment to see how ridiculous it would look in the real world, over "real" issues, then how utterly moronic it looks here, over a game.

You also all do realize that your own actions/reactions, like the ones in this thread, are what draw people to bash on you right?

Maybe quit looking for the source of all those social problems you seem to be suffering externally, and take a moment to reflect upon yourselves and what you are doing, with consideration to what is real and not.

Some of you really should also probably just walk away from the screen now and then, because this level of obsession and emotional investment/involvement in a game implies very dire things about the state of your real world lives.

Regardless of all of the above, these meltdowns, over a really silly game, aren't a sign of good health, socially or mentally, and you should all calm down.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    xtern1ty wrote: »

Support. But not just for the reasons you describe. Increased capacity on ships can mean more room for large Armada meetings, since leaders like to show their ships and if you have leaders like we do, throw bridge parties.

In regards to those trolls, I have fought them longer and more vocally than almost any other player; the result being I know their methods and tactics in depth. There should not have to be strict enforcement and admins, but in the absence of players behaving responsibly and using common sense, that is that is the only real solution, apart from real world laws which deprive anonymity to those engaging in harmful behavior online.

The problem is compounded by the unrealistic expectation that when faced with provocative or harmful behavior you should do nothing, indeed you must do nothing. If someone tries to assault you in the real world and you shoot them, there's not a single court of law which is going to convict you for defending yourself. Here, the lax nature of enforcement turns things in their favor and they even rub it in by telling everyone if you use their tactics on them, you become a troll in return.

Not doing anything works only when there is a higher power which intervenes. If that isn't there, and good people are not allowed to defend themselves accordingly, then you have a state of imbalance and that is what we are facing now. There needs to be a better deterrent than just a set of words on a page, which is why I advocate an in-game automatic point system so troublemakers automatically ban themselves through their own behavior.

Increasing ship capacity or other such ideas is just a quick-fix solution, it will not resolve the real cause which will continue until the message it is not tolerated is clearly sent by those in authority.

I know for a fact you've received more warnings and infractions than the majority of my friends, yet you have the audacity to claim we're trolls? I guess you're hoping everyone will overlook your little meltdown in the trading channel and the other times you've sat there spewing bile and hatred and demanding people kill themselves. You are the problem with this game, stop pretending otherwise.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • kitsuneichibankitsuneichiban Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    If someone tries to assault you in the real world and you shoot them, there's not a single court of law which is going to convict you for defending yourself.

Yes. Yes they will. They will convict you for manslaughter and put you in prison. The only legal defense for using lethal force is being reasonably certain that the other person is about to kill you or someone else. The other person attacking you with less than a clear means with which to kill you, i.e. a lethal weapon of their own, is not justification to shoot them. Assault is not justification for shooting someone, ever. You have told people a stupid and dangerous thing that could lead to someone being killed and someone else being in prison if they follow your terrible advice. Think before you post.
  • tenelltenell Member Posts: 30 Arc User

In regards to those trolls, I have fought them longer and more vocally than almost any other player; the result being I know their methods and tactics in depth. There should not have to be strict enforcement and admins, but in the absence of players behaving responsibly and using common sense, that is that is the only real solution, apart from real world laws which deprive anonymity to those engaging in harmful behavior online.

Coming from the person that clearly cannot take his own advice that he is giving right now to avoid said drama and only causes to create even more drama in the end. Primary example of that is the Tradingchannel meltdown where you said and claimed you were going to back down and step away but you never did. Received more temp bans and infractions than alout of the so called "trolls" you claim to fight. Not to mention you have the really terrible habit to start lying about stuff to try and reinforce your superiority complex but end up failing in the end and claimed a troll for it, not to mention a liar.
    RlZDKhp.gif
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    If someone tries to assault you in the real world and you shoot them, there's not a single court of law which is going to convict you for defending yourself.

Yes. Yes they will. They will convict you for manslaughter and put you in prison. The only legal defense for using lethal force is being reasonably certain that the other person is about to kill you or someone else. The other person attacking you with less than a clear means with which to kill you, i.e. a lethal weapon of their own, is not justification to shoot them. Assault is not justification for shooting someone, ever. You have told people a stupid and dangerous thing that could lead to someone being killed and someone else being in prison if they follow your terrible advice. Think before you post.

Partially true. Here in Oklahoma we can also shoot to kill to protect property, including that of our neighbors.

​​
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • g0delg0del Member Posts: 28 Arc User

Increasing ship capacity or other such ideas is just a quick-fix solution, it will not resolve the real cause which will continue until the message it is not tolerated is clearly sent by those in authority.[/color]
    Agreed. xtern1ty's plan to turn on full PVP in all social areas and institute auto-bans based on un-moderated reports by other players are great ideas. I can see no possible way for an organized group of trolls to abuse those systems.
    Official STARFLEET DENTAL Bug Hunter
  • walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I do think a cap increase would be helpful. not just for reasons above .. it would eliminate a lot of this stuff. also think a possible elimination of faction only invites would be great as well. make some great role playing situations for those folks who do that here.. as well as cross faction fleets getting a opportunity to have fleet meetings and functions... right now there are only a couple of places public and ship bridges that you could do something like this... im not a role player... but seen a lot of it here... sometimes its fun to just hang out and listen to the role players go at it. and have seen these folks get targeted by trolls... I guess what we are asking is this... sometimes ignore button is not quite enough ... can still be a disruption to gameplay just by there presence and actions... wish like in other mmos if u hit the ignore button it also removes the offending character from view... sometimes the roleplayers ..and not by intention I might add are clogging up a Zone chat and asked to leave.. or change channels.. it would be a simple and fairly inexpensive fix to a lot of these issues. giving folks a bit more control and options to feel they can go to a safe place and continue there gameplay without hassle.
    walt04 wrote: »
    I do think a cap increase would be helpful. not just for reasons above .. it would eliminate a lot of this stuff. also think a possible elimination of faction only invites would be great as well. make some great role playing situations for those folks who do that here.. as well as cross faction fleets getting a opportunity to have fleet meetings and functions... right now there are only a couple of places public and ship bridges that you could do something like this... im not a role player... but seen a lot of it here... sometimes its fun to just hang out and listen to the role players go at it. and have seen these folks get targeted by trolls... I guess what we are asking is this... sometimes ignore button is not quite enough ... can still be a disruption to gameplay just by there presence and actions... wish like in other mmos if u hit the ignore button it also removes the offending character from view... sometimes the roleplayers ..and not by intention I might add are clogging up a Zone chat and asked to leave.. or change channels.. it would be a simple and fairly inexpensive fix to a lot of these issues. giving folks a bit more control and options to feel they can go to a safe place and continue there gameplay without hassle.

That is legitimately painful to read. If you want people to take you seriously, please, learn to stop using the ellipsis.
    Fx3popQ.png
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    f9thretxc wrote: »

Partially true. Here in Oklahoma we can also shoot to kill to protect property, including that of our neighbors.

Exactly. It doesn't matter whether you use a firearm, wrestle them down or better yet verbally deter one with no physical contact, in the real world you have the right to defend yourself from any intent on causing harm. The way the rules are situated and the tactics trolls use, obstructs the regular players from enacting that human right while crooks feel free to cause as much annoyance as possible.

There would be no need for devs having to work extra on increasing ship roster caps or strictly enforcing rules if trolls would follow their own advice and look inward why they feel the only way to have fun is by being chauvanists. Like they recently said to someone, "The problem is not they are rotten, the problem is they want to keep being rotten while claiming to be good, even superior."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfdpcrOgUp4

Over a million people have played STO, of which their group comprises only a tiny fraction. Of that, only around 20 of them are disruptive on a regular basis, including the 6 on this thread so far who've repeatedly used the same tactics on many threads to temporarily intimidate opposition. They neither represent nor speak for peaceful players on STO. Players like me and Suzanna wouldn't even be talking if they ceased their ill behavior or were removed.

When we do, they go into nervous breakdowns, ganging up on supportive posters and quickly attempting to flood out our posts, downplay us by calling us names; portraying us like crazy people when it is their own behavior which is not just questionable, it is psychologically provocative and unsound. Those are the actions of bullies with an inferiority complex, having more in common with crime syndicates than with real pillars of the community like Greywolf, NandoPC or Zelda.

They could easily choose not to use STO to be hurtful to others, not to annoy, not to target people; to leave the area when asked by players like Suzanna and her friends. They select not to. As my friends and I have shown all along; they are neither good, nor superior. And definitely not immune.

By picking on players like Suzanna, Olivia, me and the many they've targeted in the past 2 years alone, they've only painted the cross-hairs on themselves. Because players are not stupid. Even if they don't say anything most times, they know.
    ​​
    Post edited by xtern1ty on
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    I can not disagree with anything there. I'll never understand the loss of civility in any given culture. Speaking for myself, I'm in the whole mind ones own business for the most part, unless of course I see some one in public being abused or the like. ( a whole other topic indeed.)

As for the ship thing, go for it, I still like my original idea, of using the Captains table as an EC sink, and renting it out for those who want to have a party. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a problem, they run what, 30+ instances of any event, should be easy enough to run the CT multiple times if multiple parties.

Anywho, I just never took to the whole Internet troll thing. Hell, I'll talk to just about anyone, unless they give me a reason not to. heh, to be honest though, their are days in the real world, that makes me happy, I can be away from everyone here at my smallish ranch. Cows don't talk back that much, and when they do, It's so monosyllabic. :D​​
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.