test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Silent Treatment

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User

Specifically that of our characters and bridge crew. Surely there aren't that many mutes in the 25th century?

I'm putting out the request that for Season #11, we are provided with voice-over options for our characters. I'm not asking for anything fancy, only to hear a voice when our characters (and bridge officers) are speaking; obviously the voices of our bridge officers would be for basic alerts such as beaming down to a planet, or approaching a red alert etc.

Maybe then you can further expand upon this by adding voice-over packs to the c-store (and maybe go even further, and add generic trek actors/actresses voice-overs within lock boxes)? It goes without saying that this request wouldn't change the play-style of the game, but it would add to the dynamic and the atmosphere in addition to adding that little bit of attachment to our characters and officers.

Food for thought. :smile:
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222

Comments

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    I think the idea is not right for this game. A predefined voice would potentially hurt since not everyone would like the voice that they would choose to represent the character. A certain Disney owned scifi franchise that takes place a long time in a galaxy far far away has 4 classes for each faction and each of those has a male and female voice, so you're looking at 16 different voice actors just for that. No matter what you choose for race, that voice is set to the class.

We can't do the same for STO due to how many different species there are. Besides, think of how much more we have to have downloaded if we started bloating it with voices.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,117 Community Moderator
    They chose not to give player characters and BOffs voices because we all probably have an idea of what we want our characters and BOffs to sound like. Suddenly giving them voices would break that little bit of unique immersion that we have with our crews.

For example, someone might be imagining the voice of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) for a character, and then BOOM! Voice totally changed due to being given a voice actor.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Man Kaylee was sexy as hell.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    It would be nice as long as it's opt-in. I think it would be better to bring back boff interaction like there was in the early arcs though.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    adamkafei wrote: »
    It would be nice as long as it's opt-in. I think it would be better to bring back boff interaction like there was in the early arcs though.

^^ This. Options are always good. Those that want to imagine their character speaking in elvish can do that, the rest of us can choose to have the basic voice of Helga or Helmut the ex East German weightlifter voice-overs. Kinda' like Arnold. :-p
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If they had done so from the start, it would probably have worked, but if they add it now, many players will find their charaters speaking in a voice they never associated with that character.

It is quite unfortunate, because it's always jarring when the NPCs talk and my character just gets written line. But it might be more jarring if he or she sounded like some stranger.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Adding a voice over to your bridge officers would be nearly impossible at this point for several reasons. Reason one, anytime you have an interaction with one of your officers the game calls on either a Boff seat on your ship or an away team slot on the ground, The officer who happens to be filling that slot is the one you interact with. Reason two is the amount customization would mean Cryptic would have to hire several different voice actors to cover a ton of different races for both genders to say the exact same lines. The only way I could see this working is if they locked in everybody's boffs to Elisa Flores, T'Vrell, Zarva, Kolez, and whatever the Klingon and Romulan equivalents are. Of course many people would object to that, probably myself included.

One thing I would like to see eventually done though is a finished voiceover of the story missions. The Cardassian Arch (and I think maybe the Breen Arch) is going to be completely redone anyways so I am not counting that, but the Klingon missions could really use it. There are several missions that have a halfway voiceover that is not complete. It would be nice if at some point it was finished.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They chose not to give player characters and BOffs voices because we all probably have an idea of what we want our characters and BOffs to sound like. Suddenly giving them voices would break that little bit of unique immersion that we have with our crews.

For example, someone might be imagining the voice of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) for a character, and then BOOM! Voice totally changed due to being given a voice actor.

There is a reason one of the most famous protagonists in video game history never talks.
    (except with a tiny bit of text choices)

latest?cb=20140901154212

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Bridge officer voices are already in the game, with tons of accents and race options for both genders, so that's taken care of. It's just a matter of hooking them back up, which actually might be more of a nightmare than it sounds. :/

However, are you willing to throw lots of money at Cryptic for character voiceovers? Because that's what it's going to take. Give Cryptic a lot of money, and they'll probably do it.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User

For example, someone might be imagining the voice of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) for a character, and then BOOM!
    You got Peg Bundy.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    jrichard1979jrichard1979 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    svindal777 wrote: »

For example, someone might be imagining the voice of Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) for a character, and then BOOM!
    You got Peg Bundy.

I would be happy with Leela for my character's voice.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    You got Peg Bundy.
    It could be worse. It could be 'The Nanny'.

'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    Bridge officer voices are already in the game, with tons of accents and race options for both genders, so that's taken care of. It's just a matter of hooking them back up, which actually might be more of a nightmare than it sounds. :/
    What? Are you telling us that there are all those voice files already in game, unused? Cuz that's a lot of wasted bandwidth every time someone downloads the game. If that's not what you're telling us, them if isn't really "in place," is it?
    However, are you willing to throw lots of money at Cryptic for character voiceovers? Because that's what it's going to take. Give Cryptic a lot of money, and they'll probably do it.
    No, I can't agree that they would. If Cryptic were to add BOff VOs, they'd need to hire the same set of actors every new season to do new mission interacts, or stop using them altogether. Which do you think they'll do, even if you throw $$$ at them? Let's look at how long it took for them to update a ship for people who did throw a lot of money at them. Yeah, bye-bye BOff interactions...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I suspect I'm the only dork that reads my toon's lines out loud (even though I don't have a great voice for any of them). Because yes, it does look ridiculous when the NPC's talk and "you" don't...but reading their lines at least reduces the level of ridiculous a few pegs. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I think the idea is not right for this game. A predefined voice would potentially hurt since not everyone would like the voice that they would choose to represent the character. A certain Disney owned scifi franchise that takes place a long time in a galaxy far far away has 4 classes for each faction and each of those has a male and female voice, so you're looking at 16 different voice actors just for that. No matter what you choose for race, that voice is set to the class.

We can't do the same for STO due to how many different species there are. Besides, think of how much more we have to have downloaded if we started bloating it with voices.

Voice actors? Obsolete! Look at the marvel of the modern science! Speaking computers!

http://tts.imtranslator.net/Wdh2
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    Specifically that of our characters and bridge crew. Surely there aren't that many mutes in the 25th century?

I'm putting out the request that for Season #11, we are provided with voice-over options for our characters. I'm not asking for anything fancy, only to hear a voice when our characters (and bridge officers) are speaking; obviously the voices of our bridge officers would be for basic alerts such as beaming down to a planet, or approaching a red alert etc.

Maybe then you can further expand upon this by adding voice-over packs to the c-store (and maybe go even further, and add generic trek actors/actresses voice-overs within lock boxes)? It goes without saying that this request wouldn't change the play-style of the game, but it would add to the dynamic and the atmosphere in addition to adding that little bit of attachment to our characters and officers.

Food for thought. :smile:

They tried that with Tovan Khev. Look where that got us...
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Dynasty warriors has a limited number of voice options but then put in a pitch setting. I'm sure it would be possible to implement something similar here. I'm sure Cryptic can apply distortions where needed for various races such as the Gorn.

Still, my greatest desires are to have more boff interaction during the missions to make them more interesting and to have some more open minded captain dialogue options, too many times they've had my captains saying things they'd never say.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    No, I can't agree that they would. If Cryptic were to add BOff VOs, they'd need to hire the same set of actors every new season to do new mission interacts, or stop using them altogether. Which do you think they'll do, even if you throw $$$ at them? Let's look at how long it took for them to update a ship for people who did throw a lot of money at them. Yeah, bye-bye BOff interactions...
    Yeah, that type of voice work is a massive undertaking just to have a dozen options. As if people would be happy with only a dozen options...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    This will be a tremendous time consuming work.. ende, never gonna happen. Of course it will be cool, as other features, but again never gonna happen.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    What? Are you telling us that there are all those voice files already in game, unused? Cuz that's a lot of wasted bandwidth every time someone downloads the game. If that's not what you're telling us, them if isn't really "in place," is it?

Yup, and the last I checked, they are STILL in the game. Cryptic removed files tied to exploration, but not these? Now why is that?

I didn't mean boff voiceovers, because that would be nuts. And they're not that important. I was referring to player character voiceovers. Cryptic seems to have this content already written and planned out over a long period of time, so when they bring in people to record lines, particularly those that may have scheduling conflicts, they record as much as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeri Ryan's lines in Broken Circle were recorded before DR came out.

Then there's how many types of voices you want to provide to players. More options for each gender would require more actors, which means more money is needed to pay for them. Considering the entitled demands players have these days, it would not be feasible to appeal to everyone. This I can understand at least. But I'll be honest. I'd be fine with just one male voice and one female voice as options, even if it isn't exactly how I envisioned my character would sound like. At this point I'll take anything to alleviate the awkward silence in those cutscenes. Sometimes I speak for my character too, though it sounds odd since my character is female...and I'm a guy that doesn't sound feminine. :D
  • Options
    picard51picard51 Member Posts: 56 Arc User

Which is true but, as you said if you pick the class the voice is the same. Regardless of species. The only thing that has any effect is if you wear a helmet. That's it. So the argument that the species variety would mess that up is kinda redundant. The only thing you'd really have to do is add that hissing effect for Gorn and maybe make Caitians and Ferasans meow periodically.
    I think it could be cool to get more voicing. It'd definitely reinforce the immersion. I mean, dammit I want my Cardassian first officer to make Garak-style wise cracks already!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    picard51 wrote: »
    I think it could be cool to get more voicing. It'd definitely reinforce the immersion. I mean, dammit I want my Cardassian first officer to make Garak-style wise cracks already!

Haha, I know what you mean...during "Dust to Dust," when Jhet'leya tried to play the offended girlfriend ("Harry, this is not the time!") to get out of answering questions and taking responsibility for her actions, I could so easily picture Berat crossing his arms, raising an eye ridge in disbelief, and saying in a very Garak-like tone, "Oh, I think this is very much the time, madam." He's not normally that snarky, but the occasion sure called for it.
    Sometimes I speak for my character too, though it sounds odd since my character is female...and I'm a guy that doesn't sound feminine. :D

Haha, that makes me feel better that I'm NOT the only one that does that. ;)
    Post edited by gulberat on

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yup, and the last I checked, they are STILL in the game. Cryptic removed files tied to exploration, but not these? Now why is that?

I didn't mean boff voiceovers, because that would be nuts. And they're not that important. I was referring to player character voiceovers. Cryptic seems to have this content already written and planned out over a long period of time, so when they bring in people to record lines, particularly those that may have scheduling conflicts, they record as much as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeri Ryan's lines in Broken Circle were recorded before DR came out.

Then there's how many types of voices you want to provide to players. More options for each gender would require more actors, which means more money is needed to pay for them. Considering the entitled demands players have these days, it would not be feasible to appeal to everyone. This I can understand at least. But I'll be honest. I'd be fine with just one male voice and one female voice as options, even if it isn't exactly how I envisioned my character would sound like. At this point I'll take anything to alleviate the awkward silence in those cutscenes. Sometimes I speak for my character too, though it sounds odd since my character is female...and I'm a guy that doesn't sound feminine. :D
    More data is required to know how extensive this is.... also... when did they last add to this?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    BOFF Voice overs as some people from beta will remember were in there and they didn't work a lot of the time. So it was never fully added. The captains voices was done so it didn't mess with what YOU thought your captain would sound like. This was a decision they made a long time ago and I doubt it'll ever change.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,761 Arc User
    How about an option to record your own VO's. :p
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    How about an option to record your own VO's. :p

Haha, like that won't have problems...there's a reason we're not allowed to record VO's, as it's been brought up in the Foundry. Just imagine the inappropriate things people would say! Not to mention the bad acting. :D

Unfortunately as far as I can tell, speaking for my character during the cutscenes is as "close" as we are going to get. ;)

• Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    The captains voices was done so it didn't mess with what YOU thought your captain would sound like. This was a decision they made a long time ago and I doubt it'll ever change.

I have heard Cryptic say this before and honestly it just sounds like a PR excuse to cover up the fact that A) they didn't want to put the money in to hire a bunch of different actors to voice the captain, or B) they didn't have the money to do so. Now granted it is a really good excuse and one that I am happy to go along with. Even in KOTOR 1 and 2 you character was silent and those are two of my favorite games so it doesn't bother me one bit.

sstosig2.png
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    The captains voices was done so it didn't mess with what YOU thought your captain would sound like..
    Could just imagine the constant threads about captain voices. My girlfriend... I mean female Orion's voice doesn't sound right. Can you go so and so to do voice overs?
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    There is a "sort of" voice over on the Breen boff. Ocassionally you'll hear him chunter something in Breen :) I kinda imagine it might be a Breen expletive though lol :o
    server_hamster6.png