test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Video] Plasma Explosion - What's going on here?

snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
I've done some very basic testing on Plasma Explosion out of concern for build diversity and PVP in this game.

Some will love me for doing this and others will hate me. All I can say is that it should function the same no matter what type of energy attack being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khu_NQQH7c0

Comments

• Options
    lordprotiuslordprotius Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Explains why cannon users don't see any huge boost from the explosion consoles at all...
    #Aux2batman Lives!!

• Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    A request for you guys: can you test the same thing with different energy types? I have a weird feeling that with not-ap weapons they deal less damage... idk, maybe it's just me ^_^
    Anyway thanks.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    nandospc wrote: »
    A request for you guys: can you test the same thing with different energy types? I have a weird feeling that with not-ap weapons they deal less damage... idk, maybe it's just me ^_^
    Anyway thanks.

That wouldn't surprise me actually... but I can't see how it would be possible.. but I'll have a look.

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Pure data and genuinely useful, interesting stuff.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    So. You're plasma explosion Critical damage is 300% of a normal hit. Impressive young one.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    All hail FAW! Is it ever going to not be a problem? There is always something bugged with it.

Informative and well done. Thanks for the video.

So, for those who want a tl;dw:
    • Using FAW gives you a massive DPS (and spike damage) bonus from the [Pla] proc vs all other Energy Weapon buffs.
    • It's almost 4x better than any other usage.
    • FAW also gives the Explosions a healthy Crit rate, whereas other buffs and using unbuffed weapons are all at 0%.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Come on, guys! Beams need help! BFAW needz buffs!

If I could +Rep you OP, I would.
    Post edited by warmaker001b on
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    > @thissler said:
    > So. You're plasma explosion Critical damage is 300% of a normal hit. Impressive young one.

It's not about the equipment , it's about mad skillz @ flying !!!
    Oh wait ... . ;)
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    > @warmaker001b said:
    > Come on, guys! Beams need help! BFAW needz buffs!

Don't worry bud, Cryptic is ahead of you, and will in fact deliver a roundabout buff to FAW, via the EPTW buff trait in their next ship bundle .
    You'll note that EPTW is a part of any healthy FAW-DEM-EPTW DPS breakfast !
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Just a quick clarification: The plasma explosion comes from embassy [Pla] consoles and is applied to all energy types, so using plasma weapons with [Pla] consoles is no different than suing disruptors or phasers with them, theoretically ?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    lol, this game and pvp... Cryptic killed it and is now stomping on the corps of pvp !!
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    I already had a strong feeling about that. I never really noticed plasma explosions outside of FAW and your 0% crit rate shows why. There is also the damage diagram in CLR which hints at this too.
    Now its really interesting that they only crit during FAW and no other weapon enhancement power...
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    thx for the testing vid, much appreciated.

angrytarg wrote: »
    Just a quick clarification: The plasma explosion comes from embassy [Pla] consoles and is applied to all energy types, so using plasma weapons with [Pla] consoles is no different than suing disruptors or phasers with them, theoretically ?

i can confirm those cons work just fine with, at least, rom-plasma weaps. also the tooltip changed with the alternation of the proc (before plasma-weaps were excluded i think).
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Man, FAW has been broken more often than it's been working properly. I know sarcasmdetector posted about it in the bugs section a few months back and now there's this.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    wohaa nice. I hope this is WAI.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    I wonder what it would take (especially given the jumble of these new forums) to get a Dev to comment on this.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    FaW better than everything else at something else yet...what a surprise...gotta keep the easy mode pew pew strong! >.<
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I wonder what it would take (especially given the jumble of these new forums) to get a Dev to comment on this.
    Oh by Spock, Scotty and The Shat, Noooooo ... The last thing we want is Cryptic noticing and doing one of their patented "fixes".

As noted BFaW has been "broken" and "fixed" numerous times, if they touch it again, we'll probably end up with 0% crits on everything and Embassy [Pla] Consoles will go the way of T5 Connie threads.

Just let it go and leave it be, it's broken yes, but at least something works in the game.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    No problem, FAW is working fine, its all other weapon enhancements broken. A "fix" there would be appriciated :wink:
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Oh by Spock, Scotty and The Shat, Noooooo ... The last thing we want is Cryptic noticing and doing one of their patented "fixes".

As noted BFaW has been "broken" and "fixed" numerous times, if they touch it again, we'll probably end up with 0% crits on everything and Embassy [Pla] Consoles will go the way of T5 Connie threads.

Just let it go and leave it be, it's broken yes, but at least something works in the game.

I'd say good...maybe if FaW can't crit it will be brought more into line with Cannon abilities.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, like any energy damage, the plasma explosion proc should crit regardless of the ability or weapon used, so even with cannons and crf/csv should crit like with faw, based on your crtd/h values.
    The problem is the magnitude of that explosion, it is way too big and op in pvp scenarios. They are intended to deal with million hp npcs, not with 75k players hull (yeah with res, but the truth is different when their base damage can reach 100k and more). What they need to do after the "crit fix" is to tone down the magnitude of explosion vs players in pvp, like 50% or 25% respect of the normal...
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    wardcalis wrote: »
    Where are you testing this at? I see ita borg but where? I have somethings to test and looks like an awesome spot

Looks like ISA and he parked his ship below the gate. You can see in the distance one of the 2 transformers with the accompanying Gens around. With the transformers still up the gate should be getting repaired all the time.

I've never done it the way the OP did but ISA looks to be the case.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rohrammerrohrammer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Nice work, thank you very much for new findings.

But the most interesting question is:

Who made the music, you've layed under your clip?

Please let me know the name of the group/artist/project/whatever and the title of this awesome music...

... I love it...
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    @snipey47a

Linked this Thread and your Video to a few devs on Twitter :smile:

Out of Curiosity, How did you test this? 5 Man team into a private Infected, and then they leave?
    Then just park far enough below the gate to stay out of its range? How did you avoid the invistorps?
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps
    primar13 wrote: »
    Out of Curiosity, How did you test this? 5 Man team into a private Infected, and then they leave?
    Then just park far enough below the gate to stay out of its range? How did you avoid the invistorps?

Tis exactly what he did. Sitting under the gate you're technically over 10km from the Gate as it's actual hit-box is at the top of the gate. Found it out after spending some time testing out Point Blank Shot. It's why when you use something like a gravity well it places the well at the top.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    We've been bug reporting this since it was implemented. But hopefully the video will grab dev attention since they aren't paying attention to the bug reports.
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    illcadia wrote: »
    We've been bug reporting this since it was implemented. But hopefully the video will grab dev attention since they aren't paying attention to the bug reports.

I'm willing to bet that it is on their todo-list but not high up on it. Right now they are probably throwing every resource at tackling that lag - and i'm okay with that.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    So in the topic of plasma explosions, when one of your consoles proc, can others proc too? Can there be multiple plasma procs in a single shot?

Thanks!