Install Arc
Options

Long live the Romulan Star Empire

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    caedicius wrote: »
    markhawkman: But she must be clever and cunning or she never would made it to the top. Leader of the Romulan state is nothing you could becom by a casting-show "the most short tempered person around". She ad tricked several opponents, found some battle too, I guess...

Except she got on top by Undine manipulation NOT because she's good... but because they wanted an incompetent boob. :P Sadly the only proof of that is in a now gone borg episode mission
  • Options
    caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That would lead to the question how long this manipulation was in place and how much it could influence. I am a little bit sceptic that the Undine can do SO much inside the top of the Romulan State. Sels rise to power lasted vor years, and it is hard to believe that it has nothing to do with her own qualities.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    of course it did... Sela is apparently quite skilled in the use of intimidation and assassination to get what she wants.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It must be more than just this - beeing cunning and clever teaches you WHEN and WHICH people you must intimidate or kill. And well, what is your problem with that tactics? The current head of state of the Klingons had also blood on his hands when he came to power, or had he not? Sela must also be able to winning support. Even after she was kidnapped, a certain part of the remaining armed forces of the Empire/TS searched after her according to Mivek. That would be not the case if she was only feared and (silently) hated - neither people who hate you nore people who follow you only as long as you are strong would spend their time and risk their life for you after you are missing. So it seems she had (and have) people who believe in her and follow her out of dignitiy and free will, because she was in their eyes the rightful leader of the Romulan people (a point of view which has as much or - I think - much, much more reasons than seeing D'Tan in such a way). She was far from beeing perfect, but I am against the unproportional bashing of her. ;)
  • Options
    denizyurukdenizyuruk Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    taut0u wrote: »
    I know your feelings. Playing missions was a torture for me because I had to shoot at my friends and to help those who I disgust. It made me to hate teh Republic a lot. Oh well, there were no other way to level character... so I had to play that TRIBBLE.
    In the end you can completely ignore current storyline and make your own. "Generous" developers gave some imperial uniforms and IRW ship prefix so we can have some fun too.
    Our empire shall live if we shall carry it upon ourselves.

ehehehehe TRUE.

18416789043_5ed8d070e7_b.jpg
  • Options
    wonder if thread necros are still hated by the mods on these new forum
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    thread necros lol. So you are one too now. I don't see the reason,anyway!
  • Options
    denizyuruk wrote: »
    thread necros lol. So you are one too now. I don't see the reason,anyway!
    no the necro is the person that resurrects a post that hasnt been used since sept 2014... as to reasons, you dont need to see the reason just know they hate it
  • Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    The reason is that it clogs the forum with old threads that keep getting resurrected, and the new stuff gets lost in hte shuffle.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    well,answering with that provocative comments,contribute to update the old thread and also a possible flame,dear kodachikuno!

Anyway I answered because I was searching threads of pro RSE users and I agree with what taut0u said. If this is a sort of crime,what can I say.......I leave the forums since I can't say anything.
    It's quite ridiculous. Old threads can be still useful.

There are more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    well,answering with that provocative comments,contribute to update the old thread and also a possible flame,dear kodachikuno!

Anyway I answered because I was searching threads of pro RSE users and I agree with what taut0u said. If this is a sort of crime,what can I say.......I leave the forums since I can't say anything.
    It's quite ridiculous. Old threads can be still useful.

There are more important things to worry about.

if you wanna see a flame in that go for it, bottom line is, it doesn't matter if you like/understand/agree with their reason, it just is. Sometimes a necro is valid, I agree. Forum mods don't and go emo really fast over it.
  • Options
    where are the mods,kodachikuno? I need them but they didn't answer nor I see them where they are needed (like in flaming threads). It's quite silly I should worry about a simple reply in a old thread but it's ok see threads go off thanks to trolls or flame and they do nothing

Is this against the rules. Ok. Let's leave this thread alone and it will get old again. But dammit,all these drama for this.........it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    This post is not a discussion of Mod activity. It's a discussion of the necro prohibition itself, and a comment on the necroing of this thread.

Personally, I think the necro prohibition is a bit arbitrary: It's okay to reply if the last post in the thread were only 28-31 days ago (depending on the length of the month, although some forum sites go even more arbitrary and set the cutoff at the end of 30 days), but if it 32 or more days have passed, it's suddenly disallowed. What magical event happens at the expiration of the 31st day to make posting in the thread suddenly taboo?

The fact that this prohibition is widespread does not justify the practice (Argumentum ad Populum being a fallacy, and all that), but that commonness ought to serve to encourage new forum members to check the forum rules and see whether the forum site they have joined permits or forbids. Then again, a statement in the rules does not necessarily reflect the actual situation: necros in the Romulan Gameplay forum have been going on since a month or so after LoR came out, without Mod or Staff action. I honestly cannot remember a single necro in the Romulan Gameplay forum having ever gotten a thread locked. They're quick enough to keep the FedBrat and General Discussion type fora cleaned up by closing necroed threads and locking flamewars, but we here have had to police ourselves, and we have not always done a good job of it.

I also think the necro prohibition is a bit stupid in some cases; certain types of threads should not have to be remade because of inactivity (recruiting threads and suggestions come to mind immediately, but other examples are probable). Fortunately, on the latter, PWE seems to agree. And yes, everyone who has replied here in this thread, including me, after the nonsensically arbitrary cut-off date, is guilty of necroing, by some understandings of the term. This understanding is the origin of the corollary prohibition against replying to necroed threads, even to point out that the thread has been necroed.

Having said all that, I will also note that this particular thread is old enough that the situation has changed, both in-game (the map in-game bestows a sort of futility on the pro-RSE perspective) and in the Romulan Gameplay forum (most of us get along a little better now than we did back in September, regardless of our views on Star Empire and Republic), so we should probably not revive it. There have been more recent threads with a pro-RSE perspective, or threads which were a can of mixed nuts, like this one, which is still within the acceptable time period for replies.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    It's all about the metrics. 400+K threads when there are really only like a dozen actual topics. ;)

Auto-lock after say 35 days. All this waling and nashing goes away. You would also take the wind out of the sails of the self-appointed 'hall monitors' that report necro posting.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    You would also take the wind out of the sails of the self-appointed 'hall monitors' that report necro posting.
    but then theyd just go back to flaming and b!tching
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    This post is not a discussion of Mod activity. It's a discussion of the necro prohibition itself, and a comment on the necroing of this thread.

actually,this thread was about a different thing then all this drama about necroing and stuff! And I'm surprised that is still active with all these comments. At least,now I'm not the only guilty.
    Auto-lock after say 35 days. All this waling and nashing goes away. You would also take the wind out of the sails of the self-appointed 'hall monitors' that report necro posting.

I agree. If necro is against the rules,then an auto-lock wuold be really great.

Anyway,it's a lesson learned. But still I'm quite upset for have been monitored and noticed like I'm a unique case. And I'm even more upset since I've been ignored in other situations that I had to call help or ask infos to customers instead of users here.
    If my posts make all this "earthquakes",then I leave the forums,so I don't bother you again.

Post edited by denizyuruk on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It's all about the metrics. 400+K threads when there are really only like a dozen actual topics. ;)

Auto-lock after say 35 days.

And that would make quoting a post from an old thread somewhat challenging, wouldn't it? Then resurrecting a topic which has gone past its "post by" date in a new thread would be even less satisfactory; only links to the old material could be used. And people often seem lazy enough to ignore links.

actually,this thread was about a different thing then all this drama about necroing and stuff! And I'm surprised that is still active with all these comments. At least,now I'm not the only guilty.

Yes, the thread was about something else. I meant my post, the post I was making at the time I wrote that.

If necro is against the rules,then an auto-lock wuold be really great.
    Anyway,it's a lesson learned. But still I'm quite upset for have been monitored like I'm a unique case.
    If my posts make all this "earthquakes",then I leave the forums,so I don't bother you again.

Well, it is against the rules, but what I was saying was:

1. The rule in question is arbitrary. Why one month? Why not two weeks? Why not two months? Why not a month and a half? What's the reason for one month? Did some quack sociologist do some study and come up with this one month thing? I want to see his or her data and the interpretation she or he gave it.

2. The rule in question is often stupid and detrimental, rather than beneficial. A recruiting thread or a suggestion thread ought to be fair game no matter how long it has been since the last post was made. Those aren't the only exceptions I see, but they were the two which came to mind as I was writing my previous post.

3. This particular forum, Romulan Gameplay, has almost never seen any sort of Mod or Staff attention. We have usually seen Moderation only when someone sent a ticket, or we would get Mods in here for a day or two after one of us complained to the Staff about Mods never doing any Moderation in this forum, as a sort of token presence, till they decided that the other fora were more entertaining, less confusing (because, yes, we probably confuse the snot out of the Mods by virtue of our not having Federation mentalities), less intimidating (we have often been extremely passionate to the point of wildness), or whatever.

4. Necroing is hardly a new phenomenon here, since it's been being done almost since the Romulan Gameplay forum was created. And I cannot recall a single time that a necroed thread in the Romulan Gameplay forum got locked (see number 3 above).

5. We're probably blabbing a lot because of the recent move to a new forum hosting service which has left some of the regulars still trying to figure out how to get here (and I know of a few people who have had considerable trouble signing in, and/or have been unable to post once they were signed in). So things have been a bit slow/quiet lately, and the opportunity to discuss anything may be seized upon eagerly.

Finally, those of us who have been here for a while have bothered each other fairly often. Sometimes we've done so severely, and passions have often been savage as a result. One more person who bothers someone, especially if the bother be such a minor matter, is unlikely to cause the forum to implode. Leaving over this would therefore be an overreaction.
    Post edited by protogoth on
  • Options
    Got it. But it's just that I seem to not be welcomed here,ma'am. That's why I said to leave.
  • Options
    Got it. But it's just that I seem to not be welcomed here,ma'am. That's why I said to leave.

Any of the regulars of the Romulan Gameplay forum who don't want you here will have to contend with me first, and I think that most of them know better than to try such a thing by now.
  • Options
    greatbritongreatbriton Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Losing you on the forums would be a crying shame, denizyuruk. I, for one, very much enjoy your input. And to be honest, you're one of my few allies!! ;)
    Klingon-RomulanAlliance7a_zps2aa8171d.png
  • Options
    If ya think I dont want you hear you probably got the wrong impression from my posts. I was merely warning you that necro's are frowned upon by the moderators... not that these new forums seem to have ANY at the moment.
    Any of the regulars of the Romulan Gameplay forum who don't want you here will have to contend with me first, and I think that most of them know better than to try such a thing by now.
    yeah she'll write a whole long a$$ novel sized response only 2 people will actually read! and itll be a flame war for 6 pages after that lol
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    yeah she'll write a whole long a$$ novel sized response only 2 people will actually read! and itll be a flame war for 6 pages after that lol

Hmm... well, that explains why so many of the arguments that players try to throw at Protogoth fall flat.

I know the RSE probably has shortages in social spending, but I'd hope someone managed to teach you the value of reading at some point ;)
  • Options
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Hmm... well, that explains why so many of the arguments that players try to throw at Protogoth fall flat.

I know the RSE probably has shortages in social spending, but I'd hope someone managed to teach you the value of reading at some point ;)

I know the value of reading, but progoth goes off on over-the-top rants for the sake of ranting.. Her point could be made 2 or 3 times with 1/10th the word count.

Also, do recall, while I am an Imperialist Romulan, I'm also against the withered and corrupt husk of what is left of our Star Empire.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Am I the only one who doesn't mind protogoth's walls of text?

At least now I have appropriate gifs for the Romulan Gameplay forum.

nOz4AHM.gif
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    There are good reasons why I have so far refused to sign up for a Twitter account. I don't care to contribute to the death of language and the further erosion of attention spans.
  • Options
    There are good reasons why I have so far refused to sign up for a Twitter account. I don't care to contribute to the death of language and the further erosion of attention spans.
    you can avoid that while still not copying war & peace's style of being over wordy
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I know the value of reading, but progoth goes off on over-the-top rants for the sake of ranting.. Her point could be made 2 or 3 times with 1/10th the word count.

She's not over-the-top. She just actually thinks out her posts. Agreeing with her as often as I do on the fora is one of the major reasons I ended up joining the Tal'Diann.

If you take the time to read, you might actually find yourself agreeing with her, or at least unable to counter her points. A wall of text does not an argument make. But sometimes it takes a wall of text to make a well-reasoned argument that covers the breadth of possibilities.

"tl:dr" isn't an excuse for not having anything effective to reply with.
  • Options
    Well, lets not turn this into another civil war... :wink:
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Especially a personal one...

greatbriton, you finally have your green face back, and I can recognise you again! ;)
  • Options
    guljarol wrote: »
    Especially a personal one...

greatbriton, you finally have your green face back, and I can recognise you again! ;)

LOL! Thanks! I've finally decided I prefer this avatar to the others I've been taking out for test. Not that I'm fussy... Noooo..... *shifty* ;)
This discussion has been closed.