bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    "Kurland here ..."
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know, I have been surprised that since Beta, there have been zero GMs active in the game (because there are none). One of the many things I loved about SWG was that the GMs were active and there to help, in addition to dealing witth in game violations. I think a lot of bugs would be better understood and more of an impression that Cryptic cares with the addition of in game GMs.

Not quite accurate. I had a couple friends who tried to team up on the fed tutorial. the game bugged out and the new guy was stuck at his friends level (50) they contacted a GM and it was fixed a couple min later.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Only thing you can do is use the ignore button, I have reported Racist language in Risa zone, got the email from PWE that they were handling the matter, but the same person is still spewing his racist rant. So I just ignored him.

No GMs in zone policing their own policies, their customer service failing to inforce their own policies, it is the wild west, and we can't even use our weapons on Risa.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Actually yes they did, it is available at any Latinium vendor.

Viola the Subspace Party Nullifier.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Subspace_Party_Nullifier
    I'm well aware of it and its limitations. It's an inferior solution.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I love the Nullifier... but it only blocks the dancing, and only for a player who knows it exists. You still have a giant disco light blazing around you - or a dozen.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If someone is behaving inappropriately in game, report it. Posting a thread about it on the forums is just drama and flamebait.

Trust me. It doesn't do a damn bit of good.

I know EXACTLY who the troll is. This player is at ESD almost every single day and starts arguments about politics, religion, other controversial topics, etc., and keeps the argument going for HOURS. During the summer event this player goes to Risa and does the same damn thing.

Zone chat could be pleasant and everybody having a good time talking about movies, or event stuff about STO. Then this idiot shows up and says something of a political or other nature and all hell breaks loose. The game is nothing but trash the rest of the day.

I haven't bothered reporting the player for quite a while because I had reported this player on separate occasions and nothing ever happened. On one occasion this troll was trying to convince other players to hunt down and execute a real life person, and of course nothing happened after reporting him/her with a screenshot of the chat window. :mad:

Edit: Almost forgot: a while back this same player started trolling on the forums creating threads where he/she would make suggestions for the game knowing that others wouldn't like the idea. Arguments on the forums erupted. I haven't noticed this player trolling on the forums since then, so I'm guessing they got nailed for it.

What doesn't make sense is that, obviously, trolling in the game is allowed and *not* against the rules. But troll people on the forums and a moderator is on you like flies on [expletive] (no, I've never trolled on the forums but it is against *forum* rules and moderators are quick to enforce them).

I've been putting up with this TRIBBLE for over 2 and a half years. I avoid ESD like the plague. It pains me not to go there unless I have a reason to because the revamped interior is really nice. But avoiding the flaming crapfest in zone chat is hard when I'm on Risa working on getting favors and doing the daily for the ship.

Some would tell me "just close your chat window" or "just turn off zone chat". I can't do that. Some players ask questions about the game and often times I know the answer and like to help out. It's sad when they don't know much and nobody answers them because they're too busy arguing about stupid TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I turned off zone and local chats a long time ago. Gameplay experience improved 100%. Reporting stuff does absolutely nothing. Besides there are a lot of better chat channels out there to join if you want to talk to other players without the daily politics, racism, religion trash.

I also use the nullifier or change to a low pop instance when the disco ball trolls appear. Works every time and only takes seconds to do.
    Treat this like it's a game in maintenance mode. When it comes to policing don't expect anybody to ever come in and save you from the trolls. We are on our own.
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I turned off the zone chat after the third "Gorn and Beans" and never looked back.:D
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I guess you could say, here today...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

... gorn tomorrow
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I know EXACTLY who the troll is. This player is at ESD almost every single day and starts arguments about politics, religion, other controversial topics, etc., and keeps the argument going for HOURS. During the summer event this player goes to Risa and does the same damn thing.

Zone chat could be pleasant and everybody having a good time talking about movies, or event stuff about STO. Then this idiot shows up and says something of a political or other nature and all hell breaks loose. The game is nothing but trash the rest of the day.

I haven't bothered reporting the player for quite a while because I had reported this player on separate occasions and nothing ever happened. On one occasion this troll was trying to convince other players to hunt down and execute a real life person, and of course nothing happened after reporting him/her with a screenshot of the chat window. :mad:

Edit: Almost forgot: a while back this same player started trolling on the forums creating threads where he/she would make suggestions for the game knowing that others wouldn't like the idea. Arguments on the forums erupted. I haven't noticed this player trolling on the forums since then, so I'm guessing they got nailed for it.

What doesn't make sense is that, obviously, trolling in the game is allowed and *not* against the rules. But troll people on the forums and a moderator is on you like flies on [expletive] (no, I've never trolled on the forums but it is against *forum* rules and moderators are quick to enforce them).

I've been putting up with this TRIBBLE for over 2 and a half years. I avoid ESD like the plague. It pains me not to go there unless I have a reason to because the revamped interior is really nice. But avoiding the flaming crapfest in zone chat is hard when I'm on Risa working on getting favors and doing the daily for the ship.

Some would tell me "just close your chat window" or "just turn off zone chat". I can't do that. Some players ask questions about the game and often times I know the answer and like to help out. It's sad when they don't know much and nobody answers them because they're too busy arguing about stupid TRIBBLE.

Yeah, its a bit sad that turning off zone chat is a means to improve the gaming quality (massively in some cases). You should try. Some newbies might ask in local, you can answer then. But no matter what channel is on or off; if you're not there since you are avoiding it like a plague you cant help either ;)
  • Options
    wraithrapterwraithrapter Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I don't think they're that much of an issue. I like the political debates. They are a nice segway from the usual gorn puns.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I dunno. Even if they did show up I doubt it would help. You know about those girls and their bad habits.

*Badum tish!* Nice catch sir.
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    Internal editing of external factors, is how most folks stay sane.

Off-Topic:

How is this any different from just generally being oblivious to the world around you?

Don't get me wrong, that's good advice for those who - let's say "are not fond of confrontation".
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    oooooooohhhhhhh, i think some trolls *farted* in here..........i'm leaving......the *smell* behind.............
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It is absolutely impossibly to talk about anything STO...ask questions, for help etc, in ESD or now Sector Space.

It's either filth, racism, homophobic, bacon or Gorn.
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I know EXACTLY who the troll is. This player is at ESD almost every single day and starts arguments about politics, religion, other controversial topics, etc., and keeps the argument going for HOURS.

Wait...
    wait...

you're saying that the entire community is being puppeteered by a single evil mastermind?

That's a bit much, isn't it?
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wouldn't waste my time if I were you filing a GM ticket.

I got a few hundred STO player that I can drag up that will vouch that they have never seen any proof what so ever that cryptic has ever delt with player violating the in game behavior provisions of the terms of service.

The only time I've seen anything done was at the Spock memorial on Risa.. and then, the persons in question didn't get banned for being jerks, they got banned for exploiting a bug at the memorial.

This is an ancient issue around here. Cryptic WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Put the miscreant on ignore, and if needed to, change your location in game to get the hell away from them, and learn how to set yourself invisible to anyone not in your fleet or on your friends list

(Though I have my doubts that works either.. STO has had issues with exploits since the day it launched. Borticus got his job at Cryptic from his part in the old STOked video podcast when he helped expose a shield doubling exploit back in the day that Cryptic claimed wasn't possible, couldn't happen. All Rivera ended up with a serious case of egg on the face by the end of that particular show. Made Cryptic look like a collection of idiots that that could care less about the players, or even the game.)

This is far afield at this point from just simply responding to the OP post, but its to make a point.
    Cryptic simply will not do **** to help anyone being harassed IN GAME or constantly trolled by any one person or group of people.

Amazing that with around 4-500 employees total they can't set up some folks to be GM's and actually do something about the social pigsty in game.

Someday they may perhaps do something..

Wish I could tell you something more positive. I happen to care, and a lot of folk do care, but the corporate entity known as PWI/PWE and cryptic couldn't institutionally care less if you paid 'em. And I got years of proof playing STO to back that up. Very sad.

Sorry man. Not the news you wanna hear.

Considering the environment there is some good advice scattered in the replies.. Other then GM ticket. Save yourself the frustration on that one please.

One of my house mates has a lifetime ban for trolling ESD, prior to that he had multiple 7 day suspensions and warnings. I have an account that was suspended pending enquiry because I used the same IP as him (I ended up getting my own net connection instead of sharing his and making a new account because I wasn't getting anywhere with tickets), I had to persuade them that I was not the same person. So yes they do deal with trolls, but it takes a lot of complaints and a long investigation period before they act snd when they do they will not ever tell the anyone but the person being suspended/banned.
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And as for the awful crime of people saying things you disagree with in the web chat, I don't know how to relate to people who see it as a big deal.

If people say things I don't like, I just ignore them. I don't mean I mute them in game, I just mean I use my human mental faculty to ignore it and not become upset.

I find your well-reasoned, polite and informative posts to be offensive and demand a filter be added to these forums so I can make you go away.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    (...)
    And in terms of this thread - it feels a little like you are/were looking for something to be offended by. For example, if "sex caves" offend you, why are you going anywhere near them?

Same reason people grind the Nandi despite they absolutely hate the backwards flying ugly TRIBBLE-stat ship :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Sex caves: As I understand it, players who indulge in such 'activities' do so either via PM or create a two-person team and are not, therefore, exposing anyone else to what they're doing. As long as this remains the case, I personally don't see a problem with it.

And in terms of this thread - it feels a little like you are/were looking for something to be offended by. For example, if "sex caves" offend you, why are you going anywhere near them?

Wait, what? Sex caves? What's that? Sounds interesting... :P
    ryuga81.png
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I find your well-reasoned, polite and informative posts to be offensive and demand a filter be added to these forums so I can make you go away.

So much truth.

Announcing 'I'm offended' is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    azniadeet wrote: »
    So much truth.

Announcing 'I'm offended' is basically telling the world you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

If you honestly believe you can control your own emotions you are delusional, you can control how you express them but you cannot prevent them.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Guess what? You're in luck! This whole forum is going away.

Though plans are on hold since the new one is having issues too. But vanilla has an ignore feature. I'm not sure if PWE has it implemented.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If you honestly believe you can control your own emotions you are delusional, you can control how you express them but you cannot prevent them.

Sure you can.

Ask yourself, "why does that make me mad?" If you don't come up with a good enough reason, you stop being mad. I do it all the time.