test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trolls & Risa

torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
what is it with you ESD punks..#

it's getting tiresome off you pricks & numpties mouthing off.

sex claves etc..

whats wrong with you lot..

we have younglings playing the game..!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2015

sex claves etc..

I think those are the "younglings".
    I just don't pay attention to chat unless I'm in a mission with other people, so I keep it closed. Is there anything worth reading in zone chat? Just have a separate thing for fleet or other channels.
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know you can turn zone chat off, right? Seriously what do you people expect...
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, between stupid arguments, and the 900th repetition of "how do I build a castle/any way to get more coupons/where are the new pets"? I just turn off Risa chatbox now. :(
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    there is a troll on risa. now giving names is against rules, but that same troll is something of a freaking legend on ESD chat :D.

you got only one really good choice, shut off chat. ignore feature wont really help, that gets full and then what?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yeah, between stupid arguments, and the 900th repetition of "how do I build a castle/any way to get more coupons/where are the new pets"? I just turn off Risa chatbox now. :(

And not to forget the all time classic "How do I dance?" ;)

Not that I'm bothered much by polite newbie questions; mostly its off because the usual trash talk.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If someone is behaving inappropriately in game, report it. Posting a thread about it on the forums is just drama and flamebait.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    STO has no in game rules. It's completely unmodderated and people will say anything they can to offend, just because they can.

I usually just keep zone chat filtered out, it's all just political talk, stupid Gorn jokes or racist hate speech. STO is a social gutter. Cryptic does a pathetic job enforcing its code of conduct.

You can hit report if it makes you feel better, but it does nothing. Sadly, there is nothing you can do about it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not that I'm bothered much by polite newbie questions;

Yeah.... I start out each year trying to be helpful and answer q's. But when you've answered the same one twice in the previous 5 minutes, and it pops up again immediately after your previous reply? Just gets frustrating :P
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2015

sex claves etc..

Profanities on the Forums, won't endear you to anyone, all you are doing is a) Perpetuating the very behavior you seem to so abhor b) Feeding the Trolls! ... Number 1 Forum Rule is "Don't feed the trolls!". All you've done is made them very happy, so now they'll be even worse and c) Put yourself only in the firing line for a forum suspension or ban ... Good job :)

We all know that this kind of behavior occurs in chat (it happens in every MMO), so turn it off and ignore them! it's simple really.
    STO has no in game rules. It's completely unmodderated and people will say anything they can to offend, just because they can.

I usually just keep zone chat filtered out, it's all just political talk, stupid Gorn jokes or racist hate speech. STO is a social gutter. Cryptic does a pathetic job enforcing its code of conduct.

You can hit report if it makes you feel better, but it does nothing. Sadly, there is nothing you can do about it.

Stop holding back! Tell us how you really feel!
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    To clarify, there ARE in-game social rules (check under the terms of service you agree to abide by in order to play the game), but the enforcement of said rules is practically non-existent.

Which is nitpicking, I'll grant you, but I agree with everything else you said.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You do realize that you don't actually HAVE TO READ what others type, right?

After the first couple of words it's pretty east to figure out where they are going with it.

Internal editing of external factors, is how most folks stay sane.

I find keeping the Chat box Closed, works best for me.

Addendum:
    Folks that say "think of the children" don't seem to realize that it's usually "the children", that are doing it.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's a summer event map with skimpy beachwear set in a location pretty much famous for certain...adult activities.

What did you expect? Nuns in robes taking a moment to explain the values of chastity with the masses?

People say stupid sh*t online, and the more people around the more it happens. It isn't limited to STO or gaming, everyone just loses all inhibitions when typing stuff out and pressing enter.

So do here what you'd do elsewhere on the Internet, or even in the real world. Ignore it.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    So do here what you'd do elsewhere on the Internet, or even in the real world. Ignore it.

Or make gorn jokes. That's always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If someone is behaving inappropriately in game, report it. Posting a thread about it on the forums is just drama and flamebait.

Reading all the other threads of the op, one might come to the conclusion that that's exactly what he had in mind.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    Profanities on the Forums, won't endear you to anyone, all you are doing is a) Perpetuating the very behavior you seem to so abhor b) Feeding the Trolls! ... Number 1 Forum Rule is "Don't feed the trolls!". All you've done is made them very happy, so now they'll be even worse and c) Put yourself only in the firing line for a forum suspension or ban ... Good job :)

We all know that this kind of behavior occurs in chat (it happens in every MMO), so turn it off and ignore them! it's simple really.

Stop holding back! Tell us how you really feel!

I don't know why. Maybe it is my age. But every time I hear/read about feeding trolls I think of the Mary Poppins song.

"Feed the trolls tuppence a bag."

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't want trolls stop building bridges for them to hide under. But on a serious note who cares if you don't like what people are saying just either turn off zone chat or ignore it. Or go to a shrink and complain how someone who communicates with pixels hurt you so bad.
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wouldn't waste my time if I were you filing a GM ticket.

I got a few hundred STO player that I can drag up that will vouch that they have never seen any proof what so ever that cryptic has ever delt with player violating the in game behavior provisions of the terms of service.

The only time I've seen anything done was at the Spock memorial on Risa.. and then, the persons in question didn't get banned for being jerks, they got banned for exploiting a bug at the memorial.

This is an ancient issue around here. Cryptic WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Put the miscreant on ignore, and if needed to, change your location in game to get the hell away from them, and learn how to set yourself invisible to anyone not in your fleet or on your friends list

(Though I have my doubts that works either.. STO has had issues with exploits since the day it launched. Borticus got his job at Cryptic from his part in the old STOked video podcast when he helped expose a shield doubling exploit back in the day that Cryptic claimed wasn't possible, couldn't happen. All Rivera ended up with a serious case of egg on the face by the end of that particular show. Made Cryptic look like a collection of idiots that that could care less about the players, or even the game.)

This is far afield at this point from just simply responding to the OP post, but its to make a point.
    Cryptic simply will not do **** to help anyone being harassed IN GAME or constantly trolled by any one person or group of people.

Amazing that with around 4-500 employees total they can't set up some folks to be GM's and actually do something about the social pigsty in game.

Someday they may perhaps do something..

Wish I could tell you something more positive. I happen to care, and a lot of folk do care, but the corporate entity known as PWI/PWE and cryptic couldn't institutionally care less if you paid 'em. And I got years of proof playing STO to back that up. Very sad.

Sorry man. Not the news you wanna hear.

Considering the environment there is some good advice scattered in the replies.. Other then GM ticket. Save yourself the frustration on that one please.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yawn...
    Yet another person who hasn't figured out the profanity filters and how to make chat disappear.
    I just love self appointed goody two shoes. Seriously OP people like you really are a blight on this nation allways trying to impose you views and garbage on everyone else. So suck it up butter cup figure out how to turn chat off and set your filters.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,389 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    To be fair, those at the nimoy memorial were only being "jerks" if one looks at the situation through your own narrow mindset. It is perfectly normal to celebrate one's life rather than mourn a death for some of us out there, but if you would like to pigeonhole, then that sounds like a personal issue, not a Cryptic GM issue.
    It is, however, polite to see what sort of commemoration is ongoing; I plan on having a full-on old-fashioned wake, but my mother feels such a celebration at her own funeral would be disrespectful.

If you want to throw wild parties with disco balls and such to memorialize the ones lost, you have that right, I suppose - but you don't have the right to force your attitude on those who would like something a bit more solemn.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vulcancouriervulcancourier Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Where's Sulu?
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    It is, however, polite to see what sort of commemoration is ongoing; I plan on having a full-on old-fashioned wake, but my mother feels such a celebration at her own funeral would be disrespectful.

If you want to throw wild parties with disco balls and such to memorialize the ones lost, you have that right, I suppose - but you don't have the right to force your attitude on those who would like something a bit more solemn.

The problem is that both groups wanted to use the same location. So while the one side would say "don't force your party on me", the other side would say "don't force me to *stop* my party". Of course, there are different instances, but neither group can claim the "right" to a specific instance or say that the other group should be the one to leave a specific instance. Add to that the fact that many people want to be in the instance with the most people.

All of that said, we're all pretty damn lucky that these are the kinds of "problems" we have to worry about. There are certainly worse things in life than video game drama :P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    there is a troll on risa. now giving names is against rules, but that same troll is something of a freaking legend on ESD chat
    Did jammers move to Risa?
    To be fair, those at the nimoy memorial were only being "jerks" if one looks at the situation through your own narrow mindset.
    So in other words, your own narrow mindset is somehow superior to someone else's narrow mindset.
    Add to that the fact that many people want to be in the instance with the most people.
    You're also ignoring that the Studio 54 crowd felt compelled to seek out otherwise quiet instances in which to start spamming disco balls.

Cryptic already gave them a great tool for ignoring the relative handful of uptight rules demons - the ignore command. Cryptic failed to provide equal protections against the disco ball.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know, I have been surprised that since Beta, there have been zero GMs active in the game (because there are none). One of the many things I loved about SWG was that the GMs were active and there to help, in addition to dealing witth in game violations. I think a lot of bugs would be better understood and more of an impression that Cryptic cares with the addition of in game GMs.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited June 2015

So in other words, your own narrow mindset is somehow superior to someone else's narrow mindset.

You're also ignoring that the Studio 54 crowd felt compelled to seek out otherwise quiet instances in which to start spamming disco balls.

Cryptic already gave them a great tool for ignoring the relative handful of uptight rules demons - the ignore command. Cryptic failed to provide equal protections against the disco ball.

^ This so much!!!
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Smirk set aside a zone for people to play solomn, so I don't see the problem?
    When? Where? Never heard a word about this. If anything, I think smirk's mishandling of that weekend was a contributing factor to his subsequent termination the following week.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »

lol one of my fleetmates asked me

"how does one build a castle?"

and I simply replied - "with sand I imagine" lol
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ...Cryptic already gave them a great tool for ignoring the relative handful of uptight rules demons - the ignore command. Cryptic failed to provide equal protections against the disco ball.

Actually yes they did, it is available at any Latinium vendor.

Viola the Subspace Party Nullifier.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Subspace_Party_Nullifier
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!