test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Windows 10?

Anyone doing testing with it and will STO update to work with it in a decent amount of time?

Just curious since I'm debating on upgrading to it.
Post edited by beritpandion on

Comments

• Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Having just now been prompted by Microsoft for the free update to W10 on my taskbar of all places (!) I too would be interested in anyone's testing of the current W10 testing release.

I gather there won't be too much of an issue though, surely Cryptic have been investigating compatibility from as far back as the initial testing release.

I hear it goes live towards the end of July 2015.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Big question is will this Game Support Directx12? I can see a bunch of problems on this coming if it don't
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah just for STOs sake I'm not making any changes lol.
    Though I was thinking about it...but nah.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm still waiting for the game to support DX11 completely, not holding my breath for DX12.
  • Options
    captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the game to support DX11 completely, not holding my breath for DX12.

^^ my sentiments exactly.
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well it kinda works....there's a bit of an issues with the Direct X as guessed, see the picture. I’m going to have a play with the setting see if I can get working :)
    I’ve only had Windows 10 running for an hour.

http://i.imgur.com/JvxBWu0.jpg

Updated Graphics card drivers (using AMD beta ones though) and everything works fine, seems quite smooth, none of the above happening anymore.
  • Options
    beritpandionberitpandion Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Nice. Hopefully the Gforce drivers will work as smooth. :) Actually looking forward to the update which isn't normal for me and Windows versions. LOL
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to wait until the first wave/early adopters jump in and MS updates and refines both the download and update process. I will not be doing open beta testing for MS on my main PC.

My rule of thumb (unless there's a major reason to, or something I have that requires the new OS) is to wait until MS releases an SP1 for any new OS. The only thing early adopting does is make you a willing guinea pig.

It's not like MS is going to end the 'Free Upgrade to Windows 10' soon after launch <--- It's their new marketing strategy in that you'll start paying for apps and other options directly from the MS app store. It's another reason I'm holding off as I want to see how 'nickel and dime' MS tries to go.

If you want a real analogy: MS is essentially taking Windows 10 'free to play' and will charge for some protocols and functionality you'd essentially pay for up front if you were paying for the new OS up front. It appears their marketing team realized you can only do so much 'window dressing' (pun intended) every few years and call it a 'New OS'; and it's not the base OS that's going to keep profits coming for MS, but the Apps users want to run on it - and with MS 'giving' the OS away free, they can defend having their online store fully integrated into it.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    warfrogdudewarfrogdude Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Anyone doing testing with it and will STO update to work with it in a decent amount of time?

Just curious since I'm debating on upgrading to it.

I have been using windows 10 tech preview for 90 days and STO runs just as good as windows 7 or 8.1
  • Options
    dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    I have been using windows 10 tech preview for 90 days and STO runs just as good as windows 7 or 8.1

Same here! No issues for me
    Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
    Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO
  • Options
    viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same here! No issues for me

Same here been running win 10 since the 2nd tech preview. No problems what so ever playing sto on it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Are you running it in DirectX 12 or still using DirectX 9?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Stiil want to know on what Directx you are using with windows 10?
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2015
    Since I have Windows 7, I tried running the check-for-compatibility program to see what is supposed to be still usable in Windows 10, and guess what, STO was in the noncompatible list. Guess I need to take that list with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    generaldisaster#4313 generaldisaster Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i have been using win10 since Windows 10 build 10149. and have not run into any issues running STO. I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview x64 Build 10130. no issues to report that would be related to windows 10.
    Star Treking, across the universe. Only going forward because we can't find reverse...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    i have been using win10 since Windows 10 build 10149. and have not run into any issues running STO. I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview x64 Build 10130. no issues to report that would be related to windows 10.

Are you running it with DirectX 12 or Still 9?