test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Popcorn Trek

2»

Comments

• kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The problem is it keeps getting harder, and harder, to pick it back up, after a long hiatus. In their efforts to keep the game solvent, Cryptic adds, deletes, and changes so many things, it's not even fun trying to learn the new junk anymore. Who wants to read through 10 pages of release notes, when you just want to jump in and play? We won't even get into the amount of bugs Cryptic creates everytime some coder so much as breathes on a keyboard over there.
    Honestly, I feel almost the same way, and I don't even take breaks for more than 2 weeks. I feel like all the aspects of fun or potential fun have either been removed (something as BASIC as having the option to enter an FA on your own without waiting "X" number of people who either don't make up enough numbers to start, or aren't even paying attention), or "revamped" into something which makes them less fun (the Doff missions).

As it stands, I play this game for occasional PvP at Ker'rat and to make dil. That's it. After a while, I end up jumping to Neverwinter (where you can actually enter a dungeon SOLO if no one is around, UNLIKE this game since Season 4: Misfire).
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Honestly, I feel almost the same way, and I don't even take breaks for more than 2 weeks. I feel like all the aspects of fun or potential fun have either been removed (something as BASIC as having the option to enter an FA on your own without waiting "X" number of people who either don't make up enough numbers to start, or aren't even paying attention), or "revamped" into something which makes them less fun (the Doff missions).

As it stands, I play this game for occasional PvP at Ker'rat and to make dil. That's it. After a while, I end up jumping to Neverwinter (where you can actually enter a dungeon SOLO if no one is around, UNLIKE this game since Season 4: Misfire).

100% agreed and amen brother!
    (except for PvPing, of course)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Actually, by default it is the best quality possible, because that is what people are willing to purchase for the market in that moment.

If you know any rich Trekkie billionaires who could fund a Star Trek MMO and make it economically viable and to the standards of everyone on the forum. Please, let me know. :D
    The best qualitiy possible would be a huge, team of professionals having almost unlimited resources and trying to make the game as canon and fun as possible for any type of player.
    What you are talking about is just economical "best".
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Also a word of advice for everyone. Don't play one game too long. When it starts to feel like work , come back later. I am a veteran Diablo 2 and Anarchy Online player , trust me trying to get to 99 in D2 or level 220/30/60 makes leveling and acquisition of gear here seem like a walk in the park. I think the most important thing when you're on your recreation time is it fun? If not , leave it alone. There are plenty of games out there to enjoy. You are your biggest obstacle , not trolls , not Cryptic, you. If I start getting bored I will instantly change games and not lament on should have would have could have. Don't waste your time. It's your time. Use it wisely.

Hello fellow D2'er
    I seem to be finding quite a few of them on here lately.

In your honor I will do a few Ba'al runs this weekend.... :D
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hello fellow D2'er
    I seem to be finding quite a few of them on here lately.

In your honor I will do a few Ba'al runs this weekend.... :D
    Please violate nihlithak's corpse for me too while you're at it. Corpse explosion, carrion vines, dire wolves, or any of the excellent weapons that consume corpses and heal you.

I played d2 exclusively in hardcore mode. Many many deleted characters because of him.

^.^
  • dnaangel9dnaangel9 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Full agreement. That is the issue with STO and it's current state. They make it all about the end-game, which is completely expected. Problem is STO is very linear and they make everything such a grind fest that by the time you get what you need, the last thing you want to do is go back and replay it "just cause", hence why you never see anyone que'd for anything outside of the missions giving the current or last seasons marks.

Outside of PvP and Foundry which is laughable at best now, there just really isnt anything to do casually with friends, aside from going back and doing things that you already played 100+ times over previously. Grinding isn't anything new to MMO's and they all carry the same "Rinse and repeat" mechanic, but with STO it just feels empty. It has become a game that you get on, grind up the marks you need, get a few new pieces of gear (if its better then stuff you already have), then log off for X months till something new comes out then repeat. Sandbox MMO's at least allow you to create your own path and even after the core game is conquered, the sandbox element allows you to continue carving your own path and game experience.

I think most of us have come to the conclusion that STO was a fun ride, it's prime has come and gone and we will all take away good memories from our time in it, but it is undoubtedly coming to an end. If STO was to be revived and redone, it would need to have actual classes(Trek based obviously) and unique to the class skills across the board, missions that actually require teamwork and proper team compositions, evolving end-game content and depth.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If STO was to be revived and redone, it would need to have actual classes(Trek based obviously) and unique to the class skills across the board, missions that actually require teamwork and proper team compositions, evolving end-game content and depth.

indeed, + stuff from jj trek; because the teens grow up with these films not with the old tv shows; which are not really interesting for them (a lot of episodes are just boring, uniforms are kitsch, space fights are outdated etc).

the star trek shows had always a limited use of gfx. the difference betwenn Voyager (January 16, 1995 – May 23, 2001) and farscape (19 March 1999 – 21 March 2003) was really huge.
  • pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'd like to see a season of one off episodes, unique story lines that have a start middle and end in one episode more like TOS or early TNG rather than a long running arc throughout the season that binds us to one enemy.
    Things that explore what the trek universe is and adds diversity, I know we have the Foundry but I think it would be a great way to get in more unique stories and glimpses of other cultures without it being all about one race.