What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LaughingTrendy AMA on 5/22 from 1-2PM PDT

Comments

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Boo, ill be working. 7am - 5pm Atlantic time.
    But maybe you could slip this question in.

Name a video game or 2 that really impacted you, and made you want to work in the gaming industry. Or even a few of your favorite books.
    I think that would tell us a lot about you.

And you're doing a fine job here Trendy.
    :)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I won't be able to participate in the AMA itself, I do look forward to the post-AMA transcript.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dont like her. I want smirk back. I loved that hideous 1k dps ship builds he always made. He was like a child. You simply couldnt be mad at him dont matter how horrible he was.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The AMA begins shortly! Come join us in 10 minutes. Let's talk Trek, coffee, and geekery.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/36wu1o/i_am_leekspinning_community_manager/
  • Options
    ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Trendy, did the Iconians take you? The questions are piling up and I have yet to see an answer! lol jk, it's probably taking you a while due to the speed that they ARE piling up.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Faster, Ned! Faster!"

"I can't! It's a Geo!"
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Whew. Ok, answered a lot of questions. I gotta run and do a meeting folks, but afterwards I'll make a transcript for ya'll.

EDIT: Ok actually I need to pass out. I've been working since 5am so I'm a little worn down and with this transcript I'd need to cycle through and format 240+ comments.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whew. Ok, answered a lot of questions. I gotta run and do a meeting folks, but afterwards I'll make a transcript for ya'll.

EDIT: Ok actually I need to pass out. I've been working since 5am so I'm a little worn down and with this transcript I'd need to cycle through and format 240+ comments.

Good night! And when you get back tomorrow I must ask, did I read correctly that you're a Nero fan? As in, Welcome Reality Nero? If so, how fired up are you for 28-08? (8 August. ;) ) I know I am! :D

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is a sincere question - I do not know what an AMA is. What's an AMA?

I know it is something on reddit but I still can't quite figure out reddit's usr interface - I clicked the link and still can't tell which "posts" are part of the "AMA" and how to read 'em.

I originally didn't read this thread because I did not know what an AMA was and did not know it meant something was scheduled, figured it was some sort of blog post or announcement and I would look at it when I had more time.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just saw this today(Saturday) and saw the time. Was working, so Boooo! lol. Thanks for offering to post a transcript of the proceedings here, Trendy.

Thanks for being more visible on the forums as well. While I can understand some of the kids preferring Reddit or Twitch, I'm an old duffer(Hell yeah I'm 53. Wanna fight about it? rofl) who is quite set in his ways. Seldom do I wander far from these forums when discussing STO.

Despite all the recent unpleasantness around here, I strongly approve of how you do your job.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is a sincere question - I do not know what an AMA is. What's an AMA?

I know it is something on reddit but I still can't quite figure out reddit's usr interface - I clicked the link and still can't tell which "posts" are part of the "AMA" and how to read 'em.

I originally didn't read this thread because I did not know what an AMA was and did not know it meant something was scheduled, figured it was some sort of blog post or announcement and I would look at it when I had more time.

looked it up on wiki:
    "Ask Me Anything", acronym used on internet forums, primarily Reddit.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    arthour07arthour07 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can't wait to see the transcript, where ever it may appear!
    I like shooting tings in mah flyfly space boat <3
  • Options
    odoetalodoetal Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the q&a offer laughingtrendy don't know if I'm even on the correct place or time as I'm UK based but if you could answer these it would be most helpful
    1:Are the delta toons we made going to be able to get hold of the dyson science destroyer & the kobali cruiser to be able to complete the sets that they never had the chance to ?
    2: is the red matter console going to be craftable or made available soon?
    3: are the new(wish) delta delta mission rewards ie:antiproton split beam kobali split polaron ground weapons going to be released similar to the breen&reman boff
    That's my 2 I'm asking on behalf of some new additions to the game who haven't been able to get in here
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I’m going to be holding an AMA tomorrow on r/sto. You’ll be able to ask questions and we can chit-chat from 1PM – 2PM PDT.
    odoetal wrote: »
    Thanks for the q&a offer laughingtrendy don't know if I'm even on the correct place or time as I'm UK based but if you could answer these it would be most helpful
    westmetals wrote: »
    Was not able to attend due to work schedule, but a couple simple questions I would like to ask:

youre a little late by 2 days. as quoted from the op, considering that this was posted on the 21st, a few days ago.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    when will the transcript going to be up?
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just saw this today(Saturday) and saw the time. Was working, so Boooo! lol. Thanks for offering to post a transcript of the proceedings here, Trendy.

Thanks for being more visible on the forums as well. While I can understand some of the kids preferring Reddit or Twitch, I'm an old duffer(Hell yeah I'm 53. Wanna fight about it? rofl) who is quite set in his ways. Seldom do I wander far from these forums when discussing STO.

Despite all the recent unpleasantness around here, I strongly approve of how you do your job.

I'm a 60 year old senile duffer but I don't want to fight and I also strongly approve of her job.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Transcript up here of the AMA questions and answers! Whew! That was about 7 pages worth. :eek:
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Because for the style of questions that I'm expecting...

Okay, now wait a minute... are you saying that we all have dirty minds??

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @mirrorchaos

My changes that I'm hoping to enact are part of a community-wide recursive program. The prior setup was essentially a large amount of processes normally be done exclusively by one person as the keyholder (i.e. me). Problem being was that there are numerous processes. Those include publishing as well as a metric ton of back end functions as well.

Instead, I'm moving over more of it into a recursive program where there's sub sets of engagement members who can collectively build their own programs through a standardized approval process with me and my other folks who I am referring to as my 'senior taco staff'.

Junior level 'taco person' suggests a screenshot contest. I tweak it and approve prizes, and then junior level 'taco person' can handle it within the community. Still gets oversight, but can drastically increase the amount of capabilities for the community to help grow events and initiatives at its own pace.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Okay, now wait a minute... are you saying that we all have dirty minds??

CM
    I wouldn't say I'd be surprised.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    other folks who I am referring to as my 'senior taco staff'.
    Also considering naming them lizard folk!
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @mirrorchaos

My changes that I'm hoping to enact are part of a community-wide recursive program. The prior setup was essentially a large amount of processes normally be done exclusively by one person as the keyholder (i.e. me). Problem being was that there are numerous processes. Those include publishing as well as a metric ton of back end functions as well.

Instead, I'm moving over more of it into a recursive program where there's sub sets of engagement members who can collectively build their own programs through a standardized approval process with me and my other folks who I am referring to as my 'senior taco staff'.

Junior level 'taco person' suggests a screenshot contest. I tweak it and approve prizes, and then junior level 'taco person' can handle it within the community. Still gets oversight, but can drastically increase the amount of capabilities for the community to help grow events and initiatives at its own pace.

Uhhhhhh, What?
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    @mirrorchaos

So you've actually got approval to manage your own subset of staff? Very nice. Having built staff systems for companies before, I can tell you there's nothing quite like having a huge unmanageable workload evaporate because you were able to put together a staff system capable of chopping it up and handling it efficiently, so I'm definitely glad to see you bring STO in this direction.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    TRENDY....

Yirgacheffe. You said Yirgacheffe.

Internet slow clap for you, fearless leader. :D:D:D

Ethiopian coffee rules!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I know this evil plot.

What is happening is the term community is being thrown around to make it look like someone is logged into the game so that when you get curious you are the only one logged in and then the server won't respond and you ponder whether to try again and again and again.

Worst part about the state of everything though is being the KDF finally got another raptor but I have no motivation to bother logging in to get it unless there are assurances in the future that we won't be gutted again(The irony of bullying people with a ToS when the TOS Being broken by those who are wielding it lol).
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    illcadia wrote: »
    So you've actually got approval to manage your own subset of staff? Very nice. Having built staff systems for companies before, I can tell you there's nothing quite like having a huge unmanageable workload evaporate because you were able to put together a staff system capable of chopping it up and handling it efficiently, so I'm definitely glad to see you bring STO in this direction.

Keep up the good work.
    And by "staff" Morrigan means volunteers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    And by "staff" Morrigan means volunteers.
    Some, yes. Some, no. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @mirrorchaos

whoa, whoa, slow down there trendy! you almost completely confused me on that, but going through it a second time.

if i understand correctly, you are looking to put together a team that can distribute the work load more effectively and you are the one who runs the whole operation? that way you eliminate all the smaller groups from doing their own thing and you not knowing what group a is doing or group b is doing and you bring them all under one group and get them all together to work better? consequently it saves time for more events later on?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    whoa, whoa, slow down there trendy! you almost completely confused me on that, but going through it a second time.

if i understand correctly, you are looking to put together a team that can distribute the work load more effectively and you are the one who runs the whole operation? that way you eliminate all the smaller groups from doing their own thing and you not knowing what group a is doing or group b is doing and you bring them all under one group and get them all together to work better? consequently it saves time for more events later on?

That is a close summary. Although I already have some people, I'm just trying to get the engine started up with the new process.

Essentially there are a bunch of community projects. Countless ones. As good and efficient as I can be in cutting down time on some (such as publishing) there are still so many different initiatives out there. I simply don't have enough daylight to cover them all.

Key part of that is 'I dont'.

So what if I look at it a different way? With more or less experience in the process models (though still getting used to the frankly antiquated backend process for unspotlighting and respotlighting a foundry mission) for most initiatives, I can put that experience to an advisory and product management role. The community can spend more time getting essentially 'official clearance' to do events and initiatives (official inferring the subsequent oversight plus logistics that I can offer working at PWE and promotional ability) and it doesn't have to be bottlenecked as much or ROI'ed to death. I wish in the previous situation I could work on screenshot contests or writing prompts, but now there's potential if people do want it.

This is the second head of Project Cerberus.