Install Arc
Options

I thought we wouldn't do that!?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Curious..how does a bad console that no one uses cause lag? Does a console cause lag if no one is using it? It's like the tree in the woods.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...I'm a mobius owner and I don't think its a stretch to say that it is one of the worst consoles in the game. No other ability, with the exception of ramming speed, is as liable to kill you without offering any real tactical benefit (Nimbus Distress Call minions are more effective.)

And this is a point I came to in the first DAY I owned the ship. By now I'm sure the rest of the club has reconciled themselves to trashing, storing, or (what I've done) equipping the console to the aeon shuttle (which won't be affected much by this change at all.)

You, sir, are wide off the mark.

It could be that it causes a large amount of lag relative to other abilities (not that is causes the most lag overall). No matter that no one uses it, if it can cause problems well above its puny station then by all means nerf the TRIBBLE! (until a technical fix can be found.)

I also will add that I think if you see it as a suicide console, you're playing a DPS maximizing build.

I tried a "regen scrapper" build for mine not long ago -- full temporal gimmicks (which means AP), cooldown reduction abilities, heals, passive regen, temporary HP procs/skills, 2 piece Kobali set.

I can heal and regen faster than my copies can take damage.

It's actually FUN. The Mobius console almost never acts as a suicide console then. Damage seems decent with Chroniton beam and Ancient and crafted AP 360s, with cannons adding some punch and a TDD in the rear. Optimal? No. But why would you want to optimize DPS? That's just chasing a number. I'd much rather chase a playstyle.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This surprised me.

Does anybody use that console? 99.99999999% of the time the past copy with crappy shields dies, killing you. The two "copies" have terrible damage output, and die incredibly quickly.

I honestly am surprised enough people are using that console for it to have had an impact on server performance

I use it. Dunno what to tell you about your issues with it; it works great for me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was going to post the same thing. I think you're over-reacting to what is an isolated and unique scenario.

Realistically, the mechanics of a small handful of powers may have to be changed during the course of our ongoing latency/performance reviews. But it is not a precedent we're trying to set, and not a solution we're running to as a primary course of action. It will be what we do only when there is literally no other option to retain existing mechanics. We're going so far as inventing entirely new power code in order to keep certain mechanics functioning identically, as far as players are concerned.

The Manheim Device in particular has been getting eyeballed for a rework for some time now, as we understand its many shortcomings. We could probably rework the Healing/Damage sharing to function just like it used to without causing massive performance hits, but we're more likely to take this opportunity to fix and improve a power that has already been acknowledged as problematic, regardless of its performance issues.
    i seriously doubt it's possible with the current code base the engine has, but i know i would personally like to see the console redesigned to mimic the gemini effect ability from star trek armada that creates an exact duplicate of a targeted ship for a brief time

of course, exact duplicate in this case would be exactly that - creating an exact copy of the target ship, including equipped gear and boff powers
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    theres a reason the manheim device is called the suicide console...not worth throwing a fit about.

Signed,
    Krenn Destroyer Flyer
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, at least it's possibly getting reworked in the future. It's a fun idea for a console that has potential.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They should remove the "interactions" between the copies entirely, making it like a space version of the Shard. Then it would be a useful console instead of a suicide button.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'll say it again...timed to perfect and against the right enemy, it's genius and can be a really great distraction. I always pop it in the Dyson space battlezone, when I need to use one of those four weapons and against the right Borg...ideal.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    kayajay wrote: »
    I'll say it again...timed to perfect and against the right enemy, it's genius and can be a really great distraction. I always pop it in the Dyson space battlezone, when I need to use one of those four weapons and against the right Borg...ideal.
    Unless they've changed the mechanics in the years since its introduction, a distraction is exactly what you DON'T want to use it for, since if enemies shoot it, you die.
    The Manheim Device is very handy if you know how to use it. It's not a pet and you don't use it at the beginning of a fight.

Just because its a bad pet doesn't mean its not a pet. And you should be able to use it at the beginning of a fight.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The key is not to use it like on the Crystalline Catastrophe...when the wave hits or with the shards, etc.
  • Options
    drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "Manheim Device: Disabled healing interactions with past and future self in order to prevent excessive latency when interacting with certain Starship Traits."

Yeah. I thought we wouldn't do that!? I thought we had been given the guarantee that, yes, you would work on Trait lag, but their functionality would remain exactly the same?!

Technically you kept your word, of course; but now you're removing functionality from a lockbox ship I paid good money for. :( With a vague promise that "This functionality may be restored at some point in the future."

Maybe only remove this functionality at some point in the future until you fixed the Trait(s) causing the lag?!

Uh-Oh! And not a single PvP'r in sight to blame for it. Tsk-Tsk-Tsk. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Use it anytime you want, it's just not a good idea to use it when a match starts cause you'll take on more damage.

And that's why its a bad pet and commonly known as the suicide console. :D
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ohh boy! I would have asked for my money back if I got that Temporal ship.
    Hell no. The ship is amazing in itself and the console has sucked balls from day one. So nothing actually changes here. We've flown our Moebiuses and Krenns without the MD before and we will fly them without it now.

I'm actually surprised that the console is being used enough to even cause a blip on the lag radar. There is no sensible reason whatsoever to waste a console slot on that thing.

Good to hear they're gonna rework it, though. VERY good to hear.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was going to post the same thing. I think you're over-reacting to what is an isolated and unique scenario.

Realistically, the mechanics of a small handful of powers may have to be changed during the course of our ongoing latency/performance reviews. But it is not a precedent we're trying to set, and not a solution we're running to as a primary course of action. It will be what we do only when there is literally no other option to retain existing mechanics. We're going so far as inventing entirely new power code in order to keep certain mechanics functioning identically, as far as players are concerned.

The Manheim Device in particular has been getting eyeballed for a rework for some time now, as we understand its many shortcomings. We could probably rework the Healing/Damage sharing to function just like it used to without causing massive performance hits, but we're more likely to take this opportunity to fix and improve a power that has already been acknowledged as problematic, regardless of its performance issues.

Does this mean that you're looking at making the Manheim device something that isn't suicide to use in any kind of end-game content?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Hell no. The ship is amazing in itself and the console has sucked balls from day one. So nothing actually changes here. We've flown our Moebiuses and Krenns without the MD before and we will fly them without it now.

I'm actually surprised that the console is being used enough to even cause a blip on the lag radar. There is no sensible reason whatsoever to waste a console slot on that thing.

Good to hear they're gonna rework it, though. VERY good to hear.

Well, when you use Temporal Backstep, it does freeze everyone around you when you have both consoles equipped...but I do love using the Manheim under the right circumstances.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Pvpers couldn't adapt to that console. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kayajay wrote: »
    Well, when you use Temporal Backstep, it does freeze everyone around you when you have both consoles equipped
    And how does that help anybody in a game that has timers for every group fight? The whole team is loosing out on 4-5 seconds of doing damage. A difference like that can make or break any objective.
    It'd be fine if it would just freeze enemies and not make them immune to damage on top of it.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    And how does that help anybody in a game that has timers for every group fight? The whole team is loosing out on 4-5 seconds of doing damage. A difference like that can make or break any objective.
    It'd be fine if it would just freeze enemies and not make them immune to damage on top of it.

It depends on if the objective is time or control based.

Personally, I think the flaw there is NOT in the console but with offering bonuses for faster completion. Completing faster should be its own reward. No optional should reward or require faster completion.

Among other things, it's a dumb optional because no "option" or choice is undertaken. I've played multiple MMOs. I think good options involve an extra task that somehow involves a detour or going "above and beyond", not doing something that anyone would do if given the choice to do.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well.... what's the alternative? Complete in 15 minutes or two unimatrixes warp in and start taking potshots at you? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    well.... what's the alternative? Complete in 15 minutes or two unimatrixes warp in and start taking potshots at you? :P

The alternative would be something like triggering more enemy spawns or doing X% of your damage as projectile damage.

A better optional than preventing nanite probes from healing would be to complete while allowing nanite probes to heal.

The optional should involve more time/frustration/work/detours, not FEWER.

The optionals I'm most conceptually okay with are Infected Ground (and the trigger points need to be marked for PUGs), Khitomer Vortex, Bug Hunt, and the new Herald ground queued event. They all require detours from optimal play.

In general, if you want to have pressure timers, I'd prefer enrage timers where bosses increase in difficulty over time or receive big heals at certain timed intervals.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015

assuming is a:

Add a second cube below the transformer, it begins and will remain in a forcefield non active. If the transformer explodes so does it with no effect. If you activate it, and destroy it, get +5 marks for the whole team.

After the first transformer blows get a popup asking to trigger an overload in the transwarp conduit. This increases the gate power bumping its attack range from 10k to 15k for the rest of the encounter, but disrupts all Borg transwarp in the quadrant. Gain +10 marks for everyone on the team if you win.

Also, rather than the timer, I like how kitomer space does it: each transformer you take out makes every probe spawn stronger.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I do remember when the Wells was first released...people were FREAKED OUT about the Tipler Cynlinder and how unfair it was to have a ship regenerated and also to be frozen when it was used.

There are so many tricks people use against each other now, but when like a T6 ability is released, I do think it would be fair to enhance the T5-U's to at least rival them.

I don't mind not being able to use T6 abilities...I actually think they're pretty pants, but it would be nice for the old faithful ships to be shown a little love.