test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Out in the Cold broken?

jeremiahhayesjeremiahhayes Member Posts: 147 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
At least for delta recruits? Haven't tried it with other avatars because I've already completed it with my others, but when I try to go through it with my delta recruit it crashes to the desktop and is preventing me from finishing the story arcs and getting the rewards for same...
There is about as much water on Earth now as there was three billion years ago. But while the amount of water has remained static, the amount of tequila and Triple Sec available for the making of Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
Post edited by jeremiahhayes on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, it's horribly broken.

Worst part is it's not even mentioned in the known issues on the patch notes, there seems to be no word on them fixing it.

It usually crashes during battles, the good news is once you drop, your BoFFs keep fighting and often times finish the fight. I just kept re-logging in over and over and eventually finished it. I crashed at least 10 times, it was frustrating has hell. :mad:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At least for delta recruits? Haven't tried it with other avatars because I've already completed it with my others, but when I try to go through it with my delta recruit it crashes to the desktop and is preventing me from finishing the story arcs and getting the rewards for same...

It's one of a couple of missions that are causing crashes to the desktop, Dust to Dust is another one.
  • Options
    jeremiahhayesjeremiahhayes Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, it's horribly broken.

Worst part is it's not even mentioned in the known issues on the patch notes, there seems to be no word on them fixing it.

It usually crashes during battles, the good news is once you drop, your BoFFs keep fighting and often times finish the fight. I just kept re-logging in over and over and eventually finished it. I crashed at least 10 times, it was frustrating has hell. :mad:

Thank you...doubled...as long as you reload the game without rechecking all the files it drops you right in where you crashed out...little by little you get through the mission...took me about 10 times too, but I got through it and got all the delta recruit awards...one more thing, I didn't do any of the fighting and left it all to my boffs, and that seemed to help also...thanks again...
    There is about as much water on Earth now as there was three billion years ago. But while the amount of water has remained static, the amount of tequila and Triple Sec available for the making of Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the bug forums, some people suggest that you can minimize or avoid the crashes if you can drag out the combat to places where the shake animation is not playing or something like that.

After 4 re-logs or so, I didn't bother trying that out, too. Maybe another week-end or so.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How odd, I did this mission just yesterday, with no "erorrs"?

Curious, indeed.
    In the bug forums, some people suggest that you can minimize or avoid the crashes if you can drag out the combat to places where the shake animation is not playing or something like that.
    Hud shake is off in my case, it drives me nuts, maybe that's why the mission worked for me?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    How odd, I did this mission just yesterday, with no "erorrs"?

Curious, indeed.

Hud shake is off in my case, it drives me nuts, maybe that's why the mission worked for me?

Hmm. That's something worse investigating, I guess. If there is really a relation there..
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Mission: Out in the Cold
    -

I started this mission last week and the first two parts, Paktau in Peril and Cracked Core, went off without a hitch. Deferi Dilithium is the part that has been crashing my system to the desktop.

Deferi Dilithium begins with a beam down into the mines. My Captain and the Away Team handle each of the Breen groups with no problem until we make it to the second to last room of the mission. Just stepping into the oval room ( See Cap for Details on location that seems to trigger crash event ) is when the game crashes to Desktop.

Since I can easily get back into the mission at the Mine location, I can tell you that it is definitely the simple act of entering that room that brings about the crash, because I have also tried entering and avoided triggering any reaction from the Breen. It's still crashes.

If any Dev has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have recently finished all the DR missions, except for two. The one was by choice (a Cardie one I just gave up on ) and the second was Deferi / Breen mission Out in the Cold.

The Out in the Cold miss has been crashing to the Desktop on me. I thought I'd ask if this a common issue or if it's one so rare that only I managed to find it?
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is common. People were reporting it a week ago when it first started. The patch notes for last Thursday mentioned that an issue with crashing was fixed, but its still happening. Its rather annoying if you need to finish the Breen story arc to get the final rewards for Delta Recruits....
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Pulling combat into the non-shaking areas of the map seems to work most of the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    Pulling combat into the non-shaking areas of the map seems to work most of the time.

Well, I don't use Shaky Camera. And I tried to lure them out of the room, as well. Still crashed. :: shrugs ::

Oh, well. It'll get fixed eventually. At this point, since I finished everything else, I'm likely to drop it and come back to it in the Summer, give or take a season.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yah, took me about 23 Retries, to finally finish it. Sometimes I was lucky and it would respawn me on the ground after restarting the game and logging back in, with the mission partially completed, then another CTD and I'd be back at the start of the mission again.

I think I did a "speed run" eventually, and just let my BoFF's clean up and finally managed to get it finished.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    Yah, took me about 23 Retries, to finally finish it. Sometimes I was lucky and it would respawn me on the ground after restarting the game and logging back in, with the mission partially completed, then another CTD and I'd be back at the start of the mission again.

I think I did a "speed run" eventually, and just let my BoFF's clean up and finally managed to get it finished.

Holy cow! That really worked. It only took me four more tries, too. My Captain only got the "Must Dos" done ( the three panels that unlock the cells for transporters ). On the last time in had to fight Thot Par or whoever, but no crashes and before there was even a chance for one more, I beamed out of there.

No reason to do that mission again, so I'm good. :D

Thanks, bendalek. Next time I'll try my craziest idea first. :D
  • Options
    bogardanbogardan Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is a known bug, it also happens during Voth ground battlegrounds in the Outskirts Zone. Something about an FX thingy not working as intended.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »

If you log in back fast enough (don't do the file verification step the launcher offers) you usually can continue the mission at the very point you just left. I guess this is basically result of a general "protection" against dealing with lag and time outs.

The first time I tried the mission crashed a lot. The second time, I had disabled screen shake. It crashed less often.

I think someone from QA (crypticfrost?) recently posted something - the bug is known and they figured some SFX isn't playing nice, but he didn't know yet when it would be fixed.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just did the Breen arc on my second DR today and had no problems at all with camera shake enabled apparently. I was worried after reading the handful of threads, but nothing happened so I can't offer insight.
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thats one of the ones with a fight in a "cave" of rooms? Something like you need to kill 8/8 bad guys and deactivate 3/3 devices? There was one stretch of hall and room that kept crashing on me, I kept reloading and pushing through, after about 10 crashes I was able to finish OK.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thats one of the ones with a fight in a "cave" of rooms? Something like you need to kill 8/8 bad guys and deactivate 3/3 devices? There was one stretch of hall and room that kept crashing on me, I kept reloading and pushing through, after about 10 crashes I was able to finish OK.

Yep that seems to be the "offending" mission.

I know (as mentioned) it isn't happening to everyone, so maybe it's a driver issue and not just a "Cryptic u suggs" issue.

Perhaps there is an incompatibility with the latest Nvidia, ATI drivers or maybe something to do with D3D (as i at least sometimes get a Direct X and/or D3D error message).

Either way, re-logging and doing a "speed run" seems to work for some.
  • Options
    boromir45boromir45 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm having the same problem - I enter the same area as described above and the game freezes then crashes to desktop.

Then I have to wait for the STO Launcher run an integrity check on the game files before I can get back into the game.

Is there a workaround for this as I want to run the storyline missions in order and don't really want to skip this one.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Okay. This is not a fix, but kind of a work around bendalek suggested I try. ( see post # 14 )

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1461321

I gotta say it got me through it. Not how I'd like to play the game, but at least I completed the mission.

Good Luck if you decide to try it.
  • Options
    boromir45boromir45 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the information.

Following the suggestions made in post #5 onwards, I managed to complete the mission with only four crashes.

If anyone else decides to do this, when you restart the game after the crash, don't allow the launcher to verify the files. If you go straight back into mission after reloading your character, you should respawn somewhere near to where you crashed and allow you to continue on (at least until either it crashes again or you finish the mission.)

I appreciate this workaround is not the best solution and may not work for everyone but until Cryptic acknowledges this bug and issues a fix - it may be the best anyone can do.

Again, thanks for the information. Now I can continue the Storyline missions in order.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Trendy has acknowledged the Dyson BZ crashes (cant remember exactly where I read it right now) and said that the Devs are aware of that one at least.

Still no "official" acknowledgment on this mission however. So the "speed run" and "speed re-logging" workaround seems like the only option currently for players going through this mission.
  • Options
    mrnickelmrnickel Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    CTD here also
    For evil to triumph, all it requires is for good people to do nothing
  • Options
    jaysenphoenixjaysenphoenix Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My game freezes and crashes a few seconds later while doing the Breen Mission: Out in the Cold. While doing the Cracked Core part of the mission I can "normally" get into the second cavern before the crash.. I can find no pattern to the crash other than time in mission..

* I have verified all files..
    * I have updated all my drivers..
    * I have checked/turned off my firewall and anti-virus software..
    * I have deleted all sto off my system and reinstalled..
    * I have no other program running and lowered my graphic settings to the lowest level..
  • Options
    otterman195otterman195 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just tried shutting off the camera shake, still crashes reboot number 4 for me.
    My posts used to come with a sarcasm meter, but it was always broke.
  • Options
    vicaringvicaring Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeh I just did this one yesterday too. No issues.

Interesting. And also, I'm finally done with my Delta grind. And at the end of it, I think I've decided I really like him. I'm going to keep him. And hold him. And love him. And wish the VR Photonic BO we got as a mission reward was the opposite sex. And cuddle with him. And
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Speed runs appear to work.

When down in the Dilitium Mines, it seems if you run through with your captain and hit all the "clickies" and let your BOff's do all the killin' and stuff's, you can get through it quickly enough to avoid the crash.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    We were just talking about this in another thread. Actually, this is thread three on this problem.

Check out post # 14 for a solution.

Again, this is not a fix, but kind of a work around bendalek suggested.

Happy Hunting. :)
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We were just talking about this in another thread. Actually, this is thread three on this problem.

Check out post # 5 for a solution.

Again, this is not a fix, but kind of a work around bendalek suggested.

Happy Hunting. :)

And we don't need 3 threads about it so they've all been merged into one bug report.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113