test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Frequent crashing at Dyson Ground Zone

duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Problem: see title. Very recently my game crashes immediately after killing some voth enemies at the dyson ground battlezone. The last two crashes occured after killing the second repulsor mech at the sit-and-capture point opposite the outskirts teleporter. Previously I've crashed in the outskirts at one of the far generator points immediately after killing some Voth or another (possibly another mech but it may have been a spec ops, they both went down right before the crash). No issues so far in the city or park (but that could just be luck.)

System information:
PC
windows 7
8gb of RAM
AMD phenom II X6 1065T processor
Nvidia gtx 460

Software information:
Nvidia software is currently forcing STO to run 8x anti-aliasing (I found it works better than if I set it in STO.) Presently STO is running with a mix of graphical settings, generally medium-high with Dx11. I've also been running Audible's desktop application in the background during these crashes (never know, in the past I've found the game to be less stable while running streaming services like Spotify, Youtube, or Netflix on the same PC).

Troubleshooting information:
Multiple forced verifies at launcher, restarted computer (incidentally). No luck.

(edit, didn't see the existing thread at the bottom of the forum for this issue. Merge as necessary.)
Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Dyson ground tends to crash more often than other areas. one of the reasons it makes it a bit bad.

to get maximum reward, you need to :

* participate in taking area points from each outskirts / city / park
    (and quite often you don't get credit for taking a point)

* then, you need to have a feel on were the mob is going to take down the first dino
    (wich is quite hard and takes time to see what the people in you're zone are doing)

* finally, when you managed to take area points in each sector and have a feeling for which dino is going down first and you're about to shoot the dino ... the client crashes ... :D

the combination of no reward on area points and Dinos, and constant crashes made Dyson ground a waste of time for lots of people, because they waste time and when they're about to collect reward, they get nothing for they're time.

after the crystalline event that followed last year summer event, i noticed on how some graphic effects still shown up on low settings, when before, they didn't.
    (an example is the graphic effects on how cannon shots low setting, look like they correspond to old medium graphic settings.

was the minimal graphics updated ? or some setting slipped trough the settings cracks ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yorethelyorethel Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I raised this last weekend, major issue with this though I'm thinking this is also related to the Direct3D crash to desktop error that's happening in space missions. Got no reply thus far, even though I submitted a ticket and put the number on the forum post.
  • Options
    hatax2hatax2 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Been getting the same crashes in voth ground BZ, I also got them in some of the Breen story line, always in a ground mission.

I've never had crash issues with this game before, but since the last patch I can't make it more than 1 minute in the voth BZ and it crashes straight out. Half the time the crash reporter also force closes itself as I'm filling it out.

Big pain in the butt as I can't get any of my dyson rep marks, even if I get close to completing a zone, I crash out and when I come back 1 minute later I'm either in a different instance or I don't get credit.

With all these crash reports, have we heard anything from the STO staff? They've got a big issue here and as far as I can see they haven't had much to say on the topic...
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just going to add myself to the list of frequent crashes in the Voth Battlezone. Consecutive crashes, in my case fighting the wandering General in Outskirts. The character is Tiurcer, KDF Sci, using a Compression Pistol and Physicist abilities... I specify because my FedRom Eng, using a Spit Beam and Mines/Turrets experienced no issues the other night and no patches have occurred to trigger new issues in the mean time.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    terodorterodor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Running NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 and getting crashes in dyson, haven't had any problems until recently.
  • Options
    tibor001tibor001 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i can confirm that, dyson ground battlezone crashing insanity. sometimes crashing even in loading screen when it loads my character which is on ground BZ.

My specs are:

CPU: FX 6300
    Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    RAM: 2x4gb Patriot Viper black
    GPU Gigabyte GTX 660 OC Windforce

i really dont think its becouse my PC, i have no FPS drops anywhere
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I get this too.

I have noticed that it is the Outskirts only, and only for Delta Recruit characters.

Non-DR characters do not crash.

My DR ran the Voth BZ prior to s10, never had a problem. Issue only appeared when s10 launched.
  • Options
    lutherfrylutherfry Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Having the same issue and have opened up a ticket for it with Support for all the good that has done.

After the first response consisting of a canned copy paste resolution they now are suggeting I allow them to rollback any characters having this issue which would undo any progression after the rollback point, and remove any items/resources gained from the rollback point forward. Putting together a spread sheet of all the threads that are open for the same issue to submit to them and push for escalation to someone who can and knows what to do, other than copy paste generic canned responses! Please dont let this issue go silent! Get on support and keep on them til they acknowlege and resolve the issues!
  • Options
    x5xxx5xx Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Same problem for me, and I also have this problem on Kobali Prime when I play in team.

System informations :
    Win 7 updated,
    SLI GTX 970 - tested with drivers 344.48, 347.09 & 347.25,
    i7-4790-K
    16Go ram
    SSD
    Etc, etc, etc... Just tell me if you need more informations about the system or game configuration.
  • Options
    khhawkeskhhawkes Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Gonna add my two cents into this as well. I am getting dumped every two minutes. Delta Recruit only so far. Have not tried any other character. This was not happening before S10.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Narrowed down the problem area (for my character anyway) to the Outskirts. The rest of the Battlezone seems fine. Crashing is fairly localized, but persistent.

Hope that helps narrow down the issue, assuming this also applies to others crashing.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    terodorterodor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is what STO sent me in reply to dyson ground crashes:

We understand that you are still encountering a game crash issue. Please try to "Force verify" the client files by following the short guide we've outlined below:

1. Shutdown your PC and wait for a few minutes before restarting it.
    2. Shutdown all non-essential (including browsers, downloaders, instant messengers, gaming related software) applications running on your PC.
    3. Launch the game via Arc.
    4. Click the "Options" link located at the upper-right corner of the launcher.
    5. Check the option "Force verify".
    6. Click the "Save" button.

At this point, the launcher will manually check each file against the server, and if it finds any discrepancy, it will download the correct file. After this process is completed, please login to the game and test if it is working as intended now.

If the issue persists, try to do 'Safe Mode' to check the graphics settings on your system.

To do 'Safe Mode' please do the following:

1. Open your Star Trek Online game launcher
    2. Click on the Options button at the top of the launcher screen
    3. Scroll to 'Game' and check the 'Safe mode' box
    4. Then click 'Save' button

Then try to access it again. This will actually lower the graphic settings on your system to check its capacity.
  • Options
    tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    crashing instantly in dyson ground outskirts never crashed before its doing it every time I now even load in the area. only place its happening. time to play another character in a different area.
  • Options
    moloth26moloth26 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just wanted to bump this... its absolutely still happening. Have they made an official statement on it yet?
  • Options
    bogardanbogardan Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They have. The bug is being worked on.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From what I understand, there is a resolution that the team has and will be patching in.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From what I understand, there is a resolution that the team has and will be patching in.

So will that patch be in this week? I didn't see it in last week's notes.
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too am having the same issue, very disturbing, I think the Iconians are somehow involved. There has also been an increase in swarmer infestation, Coincidence, I think not.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    gunnyhwygunnyhwy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I to have been having the problem in the Dyson Battlezone. Seems to be random on where you are in the zone and what your doing. I've also encountered it in one of the Breen episode missions as well but that is it.
  • Options
    painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to chalk this one up to Cryptic nerfing BZ way too many times. If they'd left it at 90 dilithium per point and 1600 per dino, this would probably be working fine.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I guess their lack of response means either "not any time soon", or they're busy testing for a Tribble release for final checks. Though as long as it's been going on, I'd bank money on the former.