test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Save Mine Trap (and other 20-person queues)

alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
There are a few, older 20-person queues that never pop anymore, making it the same as if these queues didn't exist at all. Which is sad, because the content has already been created and they could be saved quite easily.

I'm thinking about The Big Dig, Breaking the Planet, and Mine Trap, as well as Starbase Defense in space. The most important one, though, is definitely Mine Trap, which is a hidden gem among STO's queues, one of the most fun maps the game has to offer (saving silly Romulan miners from salt vampires, what could be better?). To get it to pop, though, you have to wait for 17 people to sign up for it, and that's a lot in the current state of the game. The other 20-person queues have the same problem.

So here's what the devs could do: just get rid of 3/4 of Mine Trap. It's set up for 4 teams of 5, and each team (if they know what they're doing) stays in their area and does the same thing as the other teams but independently of them. So why not just make it a 5-person queue and have one team focused on one area? Now the queue only needs 5 players to pop and everyone has the same gaming experience as they would have with 20 players.

The Big Dig, which is less fun but still somewhat engaging, is even easier to save: just let the queue pop with 5 players. Maybe reduce the mobs a bit, but who cares. I soloed that pre-DR, and I've since taken 5-person teams into it with fleeties who say they're awful at ground, why am I suggesting they do ground, oh wait it's not so bad, everything just melts, lol a giant fek'ihri on a pyramid defended by Remans. It's easy enough that 5 people can beat it in 15 minutes, but I could see a benefit to reducing the mobs just to reduce tedium.

Just as simple solutions could be found for Breaking the Planet and Starbase Fleet Defense. The latter is also super-laggy with 20 players on the map, so reducing it to a 5-person mission would help with that too.

Anyway, I just really like mine trap and would love to play it again as a pug instead of having to round up people for premades who are cool with doing it wrong (that is, forgetting 3/4 areas and just trying to do one well). I don't see these queues getting played ever anyway, so no one's good time would be ruined if they got modified a bit.

A Mine Trap Elite would also be nice....
Post edited by alex284 on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd like to see these missions padded with allied NPCs going about set routes, allowing you to at least partake for reduced rewards scaled on the number of real players. Real players could join any time removing an NPC. The map would still wait a certain time for real players before starting, but then NPCs would kick in.

But if I had to choose between dev time beefing up NPC AI and pathing on those maps vs new content, well I know what I'd choose.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The reason why you see many empty or almost never-running queues is the PVE nature of the game. It promotes Locust Gameplay where the players swarm at the new thing, consume it (get what they need) and move on to the next thing to devour. Whatever is left behind? Ignored, because a good chunk of the players already did it and they have newer things to eat up.

Episodes: Players get their reward items and initial chunk of XPs for doing the mission for the very first time. It does NOT help that replays get you inferior rewards. Why the hell would I want to suffer that from replays?

Reputation Queues/Adventure Zones: In general, when a new Reputation comes up content related to that new Rep is popping with activity. Very easy for the queues to go off. Tons of people at the Adventure Zones to make it easy. But after enough time, people get what they want from Reputation and move to the new Rep that just came out with its exclusive Queues and possibly an Adventure Zone.

It's the Locust Nature of gaming in STO. If your'e not aboard the initial rush when everyone is doing it, then you missed the bus. Very few of the older queues are still regularly running. We have tons of older queues that once were very busy but are now dead. If players have no reason to come back to them, they won't.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A random queue option (with extra rewards to make it better than just facerolling the same TRIBBLE like infected space) could be a step to solve the problem for 5-player content.

As for 20-player content, the only way to save this stuff might be to redesign it so that it requires fewer players.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The problem I feel is with the continual strangling of reward for anything that isn't the latest thing that they need the data showing people interact with. There's no reason to up the rewards to Mine Trap for example (which I agree is one of the greatest missions in the game), when it would draw people away from the new queues. On the plus side, if they can show we're doing the new stuff, they're going to have data to show to the overlords showing they should keep making new stuff.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

Episodes: Players get their reward items and initial chunk of XPs for doing the mission for the very first time. It does NOT help that replays get you inferior rewards. Why the hell would I want to suffer that from replays?

This I must agree with, I'd enjoy doing many of the episodes again if the rewards made them worth the time expenditure...
    The problem I feel is with the continual strangling of reward for anything that isn't the latest thing that they need the data showing people interact with. There's no reason to up the rewards to Mine Trap for example (which I agree is one of the greatest missions in the game), when it would draw people away from the new queues. On the plus side, if they can show we're doing the new stuff, they're going to have data to show to the overlords showing they should keep making new stuff.

Aye, Cryptic wants us (players) to play the new content, I suspect to justify the expense of making it to management, so they naturally try to draw in players often at the expense of older content. While I cannot disagree with the Dev's motives, I do question their implementation, we shouldn't be drawn to new missions and queues like moths to a flame, players WILL play new missions just because they are new and fresh, if they are good missions (not too difficult, decent rewards vs. effort vs. time to play) then players will continue to play the missions...

This should not render older missions obsolete, as I have played Mine Trap and actually enjoyed it, but it's so difficult to get 20 people together to play it I haven't done it recently...
  • pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Unfortunately it sounds like most of these are being removed in the future which is kinda sad. Geko said on priority one that they weren't up to the standard of the current content.

I think it boils down to reward versus effort. In the case of Mine Trap it did get revived for a brief period when crafting materials became available from the mission but they killed it by adding a cool down to the mission.

Personally speaking I love doing solo or small team private matches of Big Dig and Breaking the Planet so will be sad to see these go.

I think 20 person pve is really fun, but they seriously need to overhaul the rewards on them to make them something people want to play again.

I'd love to see something like the old nano-tech drops used for these missions. So marks and a chance to get a really rare piece of equipment.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I said it before and I say it again.
    As much as people hate it, all the Queues "NEED" unique and desirable RNG based rewards like the Borg STF's used to have before the reputation systems showed up.

Its really the only way to actually make people play ALL the content and keep them playing it.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The best way to get people playing these old queues is to have rotating bonuses for playing certain queues each week One week pick 3 and give them all bonus rewards, the next week pick 3 more, etc, etc, until you have gone through the entire list.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In addition to the rewards, there are too many queues and battle zones diluting the player base.

I'd also like to see these queues continue with fewer people required, or allow our boffs to substitute.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In addition to the rewards, there are too many queues and battle zones diluting the player base.

I'd also like to see these queues continue with fewer people required, or allow our boffs to substitute.

I would love that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    A random queue option (with extra rewards to make it better than just facerolling the same TRIBBLE like infected space) could be a step to solve the problem for 5-player content.

As for 20-player content, the only way to save this stuff might be to redesign it so that it requires fewer players.

quite true, 20 player maps were hard enough to fill when the marks there were the in thing, now there are not so many players needing these marks its just impossible.
    I am sure it would not take much to scale down these missions so 5 player teams could play.

alternatively make all these missions choice of marks so any players regardless of the rep they are working on even iconian would play these missions.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think Cryptic should take a note from SWTOR on this one. Although they're not as popular as they used to be, it is still possible to get groups together for the older Flashpoints and Operations because BioWare added new, RNG-based loot drops and achievements with rewards attached to them. They basically gave players a reason to go back and run the old content again with this stuff.

Much like how episode replays worked in the past with providing rare, unique items (i.e. Ophidian Cane) as rewards for replaying the episodes, they should do something similar to the older PvE queues in STO. A player's love for the old content only goes so far in terms of their willingness to replay it.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it took me 15 minutes to get a team together, mostly from the pestf channel (i have access to 4 dps channels on top of the pestf). (for minetrap)

The content isn't too hard. I'd like that minetrap be redone to either offer better rewards, maybe bonus xp... or reduced to smaller teams.

Breaking the planet really should stay, but it could be done as a training exercise to be honest. I'd just have it redone to have the premise to be: Okay folks, this is a training exercise between us and the Klingons. Their goal is to take this platform. Our goal is to push them back and destroy their siege equipment. It should be done for two maps, with the normal open to below 50, in which it will be the current mission. The advanced would be 50+ with harder Klingons, time objective like 'we gotta defeat the Klingons before the Fleet arrives. If they arrive they'll beam us out and glass the planet from orbit." To start, 5 players must join. Once started, anyone can join it up to 20 players.

Starbase 24 should be redone to 5 players to join then people can join en mass. I rather like it. Rewards should be like a double xp zone? same for Breaking the planet.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I used to love Big Dig, but it had a major thing going against it, respawning mobs and a need for 20 players. If they dropped the respawning mobs and upped the puzzle and made it soloable or 5 man, it'd probably be a winner again.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Start offering XP, Iconian Marks and Datacores to Mine Trap that vastly outweigh the rewards in Brotherhood of the Sword, and watch that queue populate like flies on a klingon.

Unfortunately, Cryptic doesn't think in those terms. We're supposed to play the game the way they want us to.

It's just a shame so many missions the development team has worked on is getting left in the dust because of the carrot-and-stick method Cryptic uses.

I personally loved Mine Trap.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The best way to get people playing these old queues is to have rotating bonuses for playing certain queues each week One week pick 3 and give them all bonus rewards, the next week pick 3 more, etc, etc, until you have gone through the entire list.

I like the OP's suggestion about reducing these missions to 5 man teams, but the above could work too, depending on the awards .

pennylong wrote: »
    Unfortunately it sounds like most of these are being removed in the future which is kinda sad. Geko said on priority one that they weren't up to the standard of the current content.

These are some crazy awesome missions (provided you have the numbers to start one) !
    Far superior in terms of fun game mechanics to many of the missions that were slapped together for the sake of yet another Reputation .

... but Geko loves his Reputations , so ...
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Mine Trap died because of all the AFK'ers. Couldn't do the mission without having at minimum 5 out of 20 across all teams that stood there the entire mission never moving or helping in any way. On many occasions it came down to only about half the players in the mission were actually doing anything.

Eventually the AFK penalty was added, but by that time it was too late. Mine Trap was pretty much dead at that point.

I did manage to get into it a couple of times many months after the AFK penalty was added to PVE queued events but it was still the same situation.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I LOVED mine trap when it was first added. Used to run it on 2 or 3 toons in a row. Surprisingly it was HIGHLY enjoyable most of the time as the result was different,, if slightly,,, every time. The big draw of Mine Trap was romulan marks,,, and as players maxed out Rom Rep, and other reps were added,, mine trap became less played. With the invention of AFKers it slipped even further into the abyss.

I say revamp it to a 5-10-15 or 20 man mission. If you are on a team and the team ques,, then you only have the complete one of the 4 sections. if two teams of 5 que at roughly the same time, then each team complete one section,,and so on and so forth.

Make the rewards chooseable marks and give a little extra for completeing within a certain time, or having 0 team mates die during the mission,, etc,,, etc..

Many complain ( sometimes rightly so ) about a lack of content in this game. The issue is that a significant portion of the content has all but been abandoned. Perhaps with the seeming success of the Delta Recruitment event the Devs will be more open to revamping some of the older content in the game.

I for one would LOVE to play Mine Trap as lvl 60 with the newest gear,, just for the possibility of challenge and needing to use a little strategy to get max rewards.

:D
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I ADORED Mine Trap and I join the queue each and every time I log-in...but I haven't been able to play it in years. It knocks the socks off so many other of the queues, but people just don't realize it and stick to new crappy ones!
  • captainblueshoescaptainblueshoes Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Save? they've been dead...and not dealt with for quite a while...
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    20 player queues used to be a lot of fun. I remember Starbase Fleet Alert being quite busy on weekends. This used to be my primary source for fleet marks. Since Delta Rising I haven't seen a single active queue. I wonder why this is. Did they increase the difficulty? :confused:
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Increasing the rewards would easily make Mine Trap popular again. Or maybe a recurring event like Crystalline Cataclysm has.

As for Big Dig et al, they would run just fine (at least on days when the random daily +dil mission is on) if the minimum players to start was lowered from 15 to the range of 3-5. They can be completed solo by a competent player, so 3-5 average players should be enough to get started. And once it's running, more people would quickly join because there would be no waiting. Big Dig could also be made cross-faction rather than having separate Fed and KDF versions, the others unfortunately can't because of faction enemies.

Starbase Fleet Defense...it's probably not going to be popular until there are new fleet holdings or other large fleet mark sinks again.

And of course all queues would benefit from more general incentives for diversification. For example:
    1. Longer cooldowns.
    2. Rotating/randomly selected bonus rewards for playing a specific queue (something similar to the already existing Big Dig/Klingon Scout Force/Gorn Minefield dil bonus missions that randomly appear one per day).
    3. Bonus reward for playing a queue you haven't played recently.
    4. Unique rewards specific to a each queue.
    5. More queue accolades. Only the old Borg STFs currently have a "play it 100 times" type of accolade.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Those missions should be Red Alerts...maybe 20 people is too much to run them, but 10 seems legit.
    Cryptic should tune them around 10 people and implement them as Red Alerts.
    Go pro or go home
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too enjoyed Mine Trap. It's hard to imagine now that I used to play it multiple times daily. It's how I got a few toons through the Rom rep and even beyond that, it was why I had an ample supply of Fleet marks for when I finally joined one. SBD as well, used to constantly pop. Almost never had to wait Fed side. Hell, once in a while you could even get the Klink side to go.

I enjoy most aspects of STO, but queue events are really what got me hooked on both logging in pretty much daily and upgrading my gear and ships to be a more effective team mate. This past year or so has sucked. Nearly all queues dead, save for the few that are quick and players are most comfortable with/confident their time won't be wasted by a failure.

What I would love to see is a day when I open the list of queue events and am spoiled for choice as to what to play. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I can only hope some will be acted upon.

Some of my favorites:

Increase rewards for longer queues (Time:Reward)
    Spotlight Queue events (Event of the week, maybe a special reward)
    Daily bonus (First play of the day gets more rewards or a unique reward)
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nagus has the right idea on this one. STO's players flock to where there's something fun and unique to earn, so put fun, unique rewards on these missions and people will play them.

Another idea I've had, which basically automates the "extra rewards" idea, is to have the queues pay out rewards proportional to the time it takes to have them pop then finish them successfully, with that measured each week to set the rewards for the next week. This would naturally make queues that were less popular a week ago more enticing, because if they were taking forever to pop last week, they'll have substantially higher rewards this week.

Mission quality seems to have very little to do with how often people play the queues - Infected Space, quite frankly, is a miserable, easily-trollable slog, and seems to still be the most popular of the lot by a wide margin. So "just make the queues better" isn't a solution.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They'll just remove it. Cryptic really likes to just remove stuff and replace it with... nothing.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The real sad thing is it's not just these old queues that are suffering. Just take a look on Kobali Prime and you'll barely see anyone there, and this is a new location that even offers Ancient Power Cells! It had such potential but through some poor design choices most people don't want to visit it unless they are on a mission there.

Same with Defera, just a bit busier there as it's a good place for Omega marks.

I do really enjoy all of the adventure zones and Mine Trap etc, hell anything to escape doing endless ISA runs! But they need a rethink, the player number is the biggest problem. Getting 20 people is a tall order when most are running Iconian rep stuff or off farming in the Voth Battlezone which has higher payouts.

Lower player requirements and/or higher rewards = more participation.
    SulMatuul.png
  • apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    The real sad thing is it's not just these old queues that are suffering. Just take a look on Kobali Prime and you'll barely see anyone there

When I was last there about 12 hours ago, there were about 7 instances of Kobali Prime up and running. At least three of them were full. You can get through those final two missions in about 10 minutes, with the amount of people around. Sometimes even less.

Just sayin' :P
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's not the last two on Kobali that are the problem. The rest of the planet is miserable, full of Vaadwaur that respawn at a rate calibrated to there being people all over, when you're the only player in sight.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think Mine Trap is the only one that actually needs more than 5 to start. IIRC the others can be done using a premade of 5 or more.

Breaking and Big Dig are actually pretty easy even when you only have 5. If you had 20 it'd be like one of those 2 minute ISA videos. :P

Wait scratch that.... I've seen Breaking with 20. The Klingons get mowed down like redshirts. With 5 it's a bit time consuming, but not hard mission.

In Tribble during LoR beta I once attempted to 2-man it with a pair of level 25-ish Romulan Science officers. We got half way through but ended up in a spot where we just couldn't kill the Klingons faster than they spawned. And that was with 2 low level characters on tribble with crappy gear. I imagine that a team of 2 level 60 characters could do it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg