test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev announcement on the Risa issue, my personal response

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    In my opinion, anyone who thinks other people being denied something is a reward, don't deserve to be rewarded.
    Rewards usually have a requirement. If you don't qualify, you're denied the reward. The particular requirement here is "be at the right place at the right time".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I regret that I didn't collect more Lohlunat Pearls to turn into skill points.:D
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So it was an exploit the last two years for me to play even more than necessary, grind out all those pearls, so I could get a head start on the next event? Cryptic sure seemed pleased that I and many others were padding their metrics for the last two summers with all the extea gameplay. But to them, that was yesterday, I guess.

"Exploit" gets thrown around way too often by both Cryptic and some players in the last months. Saving items is *not* an exploit. Whether I played/ground out then or now should have no bearing to anything other than Cryptic's ridiculous measurements.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Mr. Salami, I say you did good. You even offered people the option to buy Spec points with their surplus Event currency. I often complain -- and equally often for good reasons :D -- but, in this case, I genuinely believe you handled this the proper way.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is definitely a decent compromise. People will at least now have the chance to transfer unopened summer ships to delta recruits or other characters who don't otherwise have these ships. I also have to laugh at the bad apples in the playerbase who hoard like crazy only to collect on the ships and then never bother to come back to the Risa Event. It's not an exploit but it seems rather silly that everyone else has to slog through the pearl runs just because they didn't no life sto for 3 weeks during last summer's event. Cryptic's metrics argument is silly but so is your antisocial stance of let me get the ship at no cost on the first day so I can forget entirely about the event and not participate in it anymore.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Not really sure what planet Cryptic are operating on these days.

This was a great decision, but look at the rage it took to get a response!

Could have all been avoided with a little forethought and communication, that would have saved all the unnecessary rage.

Time an time again, Cryptic keep sending the bull into the china shop, but still expect a different result.

There is a definition that explains this reasoning, it is called insanity...

Funny how you manage to still put a negative spin on this. :)

Seriously, I applaud Mr. Salami for his lucid, eloquent post, and his respectful demeanor towards the player base.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Seriously, I applaud Mr. Salami for his lucid, eloquent post, and his respectful demeanor towards the player base.

I have to agree with you that more whining just makes us look like brats. We should be thankful they budged at all on this given Geko's disastrous lack of response to negative feedback and further nerfings after DR.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To quote a player on reddit:

For their next trick, they can go and do this for Lockbox ships, starship traits, and spec points and they might just be able to undo some of the damage they did with Delta Rising.

For that matter, go hog wild and make the "Claim Console" button for the C-Store and let it work cross-faction on anything that's become cross-faction.

If they're going to pretend they're doing a huge favor to people (after their playerbase basically rioted because Cryptic has no good faith currency left to spend) they should actually have the balls to go fully in on the premise.
    edited May 2015
    To quote a player on reddit:

For their next trick, they can go and do this for Lockbox ships, starship traits, and spec points and they might just be able to undo some of the damage they did with Delta Rising.

For that matter, go hog wild and make the "Claim Console" button for the C-Store and let it work cross-faction on anything that's become cross-faction.

If they're going to pretend they're doing a huge favor to people (after their playerbase basically rioted because Cryptic has no good faith currency left to spend) they should actually have the balls to go fully in on the premise.

Not sure what you mean by this since unopened lockbox ships are not character bound to begin with. Also, please elaborate on this claim console button. You mean if I have opened lock box universal console, I could just transfer it to another character? Unopened items are already account bound so again what are you arguing for?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this since unopened lockbox ships are not character bound to begin with. Also, please elaborate on this claim console button. You mean if I have opened lock box universal console, I could just transfer it to another character? Unopened items are already account bound so again what are you arguing for?

The person I was quoting was of the opinion that lockbox ships and previously opened cross faction consoles should be dismissible and reclaimable for free on player accounts so they can be transferred to alts.

He also had this to say, and I agree:

Cryptic are going to have to start rerunning old trait/console boxes and either rerun old DOFF packs/boxes or introduce new DOFFs with the same powers.

Well, that or just admit the entire game is turning into a "f**k the newbies and alts" fest. We have lockbox traits hitting 100m, DOFFs hitting 100m, some effectively extinct due to rarity at this point, consoles hitting 40m+ per, and other insanity. Making and equipping alts to be competitive on the same terms as the main is pretty much economically impractical to impossible nowadays.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So it was an exploit the last two years for me to play even more than necessary, grind out all those pearls, so I could get a head start on the next event? Cryptic sure seemed pleased that I and many others were padding their metrics for the last two summers with all the extea gameplay. But to them, that was yesterday, I guess.

"Exploit" gets thrown around way too often by both Cryptic and some players in the last months. Saving items is *not* an exploit. Whether I played/ground out then or now should have no bearing to anything other than Cryptic's ridiculous measurements.

i totally agree, it gets right on my chuff too! it was nice in this situation that Salami didn't even try to hint at it being an 'exploit' (that was the OP, and a few supporters) Salami just said it as it was.. the players used the system in a way they hadn't really accounted for, no blame, no pointed fingers, just the simple truth of the matter.

in fact, the outcome of this situation supports that too, when have they.. ever.. rewarded players that they feel have exploited the game? im going to go with never! lol
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • kerfokerfo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I end up disliking STO over time and then it seems Cryptic does something to make me like it again. Stop giving me mixed messages, bros!:eek:

But really, this is nice. They probably have a hard time with all the negativity thrown around as it is, which makes me surprised they did this, but I'd surely give my thanks to them on this. I find this to be wonderful. Although, I am curious about those featured episode ships and what category they fall into as others have mentioned. Not that it's a biggy, but would be nice to know.

As for future peeps to not get these ships, I won't say it's game breaking. I never acquired items in various MMOs since I either missed events or they were before I ever started the game, but missing these items certainly were never game breaking for me. The risian ships were quite nice, yes, but it's not game breaking to miss them. Who knows, the new ship(s) might be even more nice than the old Risian ships.

As for hoarding, I did that as well, although I was one of those that still stuck around for the event. I liked the mini-games and racing and stuff. Was all kind of fun really. Oh, and Gorn in swimsuits. Can't forget Gorn in swimsuits. That simply just made Risa, not the rewards. Devs should've checked their metrics over the last events because there was Remans in swimsuits. That's why there was lack of participation. People came for Gorn, not Reman.
    STO forum term definitions for newbies: Piloting Skill: That thing you do where you fly around and avoid big scary green plasma balls of death. Pressing F and spacebar may also relate to skill. Taco: A very sacred thing. Do not speak I'll of the Taco or things will happen. Terrible things! Humor: Something not found here. Don't bring it. This forum is serious business. Fun: Something illegal. Don't have it and don't bring it
    edited May 2015
    The person I was quoting was of the opinion that lockbox ships and previously opened cross faction consoles should be dismissible and reclaimable for free on player accounts so they can be transferred to alts.

He also had this to say, and I agree:

Cryptic are going to have to start rerunning old trait/console boxes and either rerun old DOFF packs/boxes or introduce new DOFFs with the same powers.

Well, that or just admit the entire game is turning into a "f**k the newbies and alts" fest. We have lockbox traits hitting 100m, DOFFs hitting 100m, some effectively extinct due to rarity at this point, consoles hitting 40m+ per, and other insanity. Making and equipping alts to be competitive on the same terms as the main is pretty much economically impractical to impossible nowadays.

I have to agree that the prices for certain lockbox items have gotten out of control. It's one of the reasons I may stop playing my sci alts altogether. I wanted to get the Immunity response kit module on one sci but it costs about 14-15 mil on the exchange. You should see how much the bio turrets from that lock box cost as well-easily 30 to 40 mil.

I was also looking at the feedback loop trait but it costs about 15 mil as well. Essentially, alting has died and it's no longer worth it to kit out your alts with all of the fancy bells and whistles your mains have. Such a shame too since alting helped keep the in game economy churning because it creates a greater demand for traits and related items.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    farranor wrote: »
    If this means that all those Qmendations and Glossies that I saved up are now worthless, I will be very displeased.

They will be except maybe if they expand the buyback store but seriously, this acct unlock for event boats is huge after they announced they wouldnt be available at all.. The event currency was the last thing most people were worried about off of that announcement.. I think they did the playerbase a huge service by within a few hours, changing the event item policy...

Only question i have is for salami if its going to just be seasonal events or if it will include the samsar, the shotgun, etc
    edited May 2015
    why cant some people just accept an honest explanation, with an apology and a gift, and just be happy with that? without asking, expecting or demanding more more more?

as for comments about 'not having console x or y means new players cant be competitive', what total garbage.. competitive only really applies to pvp, and in sto that's borked to the point few, if any, new players even bother with it? so basically its about competing with npcs.. and if a player needs x or y console to do that.. its not the console that's making the player TRIBBLE.. its the player, making the player TRIBBLE. there is a massive difference between want and need.. want always tends to come at a high price, because your want makes it a sellers market. as for things we actually need.. in all fairness, anything we need can be farmed, and that includes top tier ships if your patient.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,816 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    My issue with this has been what Cryptic is counting as "Event participation." It seems, as far as their metrics go, they're only caring about "Flying High" during the summer, and "Fastest Game on Ice" during the winter, the activities that earn you the ships. What about all of the other Event activities? What about the races, sand castles, snowball fights, Hor'gahn Hunts, Tides of Ice? Don't those count towards participating in the Event and making it a success??
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    as for comments about 'not having console x or y means new players cant be competitive', what total garbage.. competitive only really applies to pvp, and in sto that's borked to the point few, if any, new players even bother with it? so basically its about competing with npcs.. and if a player needs x or y console to do that.. its not the console that's making the player TRIBBLE.. its the player, making the player TRIBBLE. there is a massive difference between want and need.. want always tends to come at a high price, because your want makes it a sellers market. as for things we actually need.. in all fairness, anything we need can be farmed, and that includes top tier ships if your patient.

Its not about being competitive. People want those ships because they're fun, because they like to collect things, because they can.

Telling new players "you can never have X because you weren't here Y years ago" doesn't help attract new players.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    why cant some people just accept an apology or a gift and be happy with that?

Because it's not much of an apology when it comes with an insult. Calling people exploiters for playing the game as it exists is never going to go over well.

And no amount of shrieking their praises is going distract the dissatisfied from poor decisions.

That being said, I appreciate the gesture of making the earned ships account unlocked. Hopefully tho latest forum/social media fire will be enough to convince Cryptic to reassess what they're doing overall.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I am putting a "Negative spin" on the way Cryptic still handles these transitions.

I want to promote the devs working with us, which benefits the game as a whole. :D

knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I have to agree with you that more whining just makes us look like brats. We should be thankful they budged at all on this given Geko's disastrous lack of response to negative feedback and further nerfings after DR.

Not whining, just want more communication before it gets to this point... :cool:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited May 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »
    Because it's not much of an apology when it comes with an insult. Calling people exploiters for playing the game as it exists is never going to go over well.

And no amount of shrieking their praises is going distract the dissatisfied from poor decisions.

That being said, I appreciate the gesture of making the earned ships account unlocked. Hopefully tho latest forum/social media fire will be enough to convince Cryptic to reassess what they're doing overall.

It is definitely silly. All Cryptic has to do is say it was not intended to be used or run this way and leave it at that. It's not an exploit unless it's a bug and people are taking advantage of that bug to get ahead and/or get more resources.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My issue with this has been what Cryptic is counting as "Event participation." It seems, as far as their metrics go, they're only caring about "Flying High" during the summer, and "Fastest Game on Ice" during the winter, the activities that earn you the ships. What about all of the other Event activities? What about the races, sand castles, snowball fights, Hor'gahn Hunts, Tides of Ice? Don't those count towards participating in the Event and making it a success??

This has been very much on my mind regarding these shenanigans.

Less than 10% of the Summer Event involves pearls. Everything else revolves around favors. I'm fairly certain any new missions/games/vanity items/DOFFs added to the Summer Event will also involve favors.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I resent the fact that now (as we've already seen in this thread alone) players who played the game a certain way are going to be accused of being hoarders or exploiters.

my own post wasnt related to an exploit, nor did i ever mention such a thing. i mean the event has been going since 2012, 3 years and a half now. so in 2012 if someone went and put in all their efforts into that years event, got the ship and had at least 520 q pics for the next event in 2013, did the same again and built on it to 480 pics after getting the next ship in 2014, that would equal 3000 pics and in effect a free pass to the breen carrier in 2015 with the remaining 1000 q pics left. thats not exploiting thats simply thinking ahead and planning to bypass the system completely.

dont automatically assume every post is one and the same though.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2015
    redvenge wrote: »
    This has been very much on my mind regarding these shenanigans.

Less than 10% of the Summer Event involves pearls. Everything else revolves around favors. I'm fairly certain any new missions/games/vanity items/DOFFs added to the Summer Event will also involve favors.

Exactly! And if these decisions are being made based on metrics, then I think they need to take a broader view with said metrics.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited May 2015
    Exactly! And if these decisions are being made based on metrics, then I think they need to take a broader view with said metrics.

They don't appear concerned with "event wide" metrics. Just the "ship reward" metrics. I don't know what meaningful data can be gathered regarding "event participation" from less than 10% of the total content for the event.

If they want to know why the event is abandoned 3 weeks in, they did it to themselves. It's treated as a grindfest, just like the rest of the game. They have trained the playerbase to be the most efficient grinders they can be, so players efficiently grind the Events and then move on to the next grind.

It isn't a case of "we created this loophole". It's a case of "we have created a game-wide grinding mentality, and players are treating the Events as a grind".
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it was nice in this situation that Salami didn't even try to hint at it being an 'exploit' (that was the OP, and a few supporters) Salami just said it as it was.. the players used the system in a way they hadn't really accounted for, no blame, no pointed fingers, just the simple truth of the matter.

Thank you for making that statement. I think it does need to be pointed out that at no time has any official statement (that I'm aware of) stated that this was considered 'cheating'. People technically fulfilled the requirements while doing it in a way that was not in line with the Devs' intentions for the event.

I am one of those who has used the system to start collecting currency for one event and finish collecting it the next. While I'm sad that I won't be able to do this anymore, I can certainly appreciate that from now on I only need to do this for one character if I want the reward for all of my alts.

Touching on the creation of a new thread instead of posting in the main thread, I can see how Salami's response was really buried there and this thread helps to bring more attention to that rather than letting players stay angry.

When the official communications have been updated, this thread can be merged back into that one or closed. Until then, I don't think it does any harm to let this one continue for now.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited May 2015
    redvenge wrote: »
    They don't appear concerned with "event wide" metrics. Just the "ship reward" metrics. I don't know what meaningful data can be gathered regarding "event participation" from less than 10% of the total content for the event.

If they want to know why the event is abandoned 3 weeks in, they did it to themselves. It's treated as a grindfest, just like the rest of the game. They have trained the playerbase to be the most efficient grinders they can be, so players efficiently grind the Events and then move on to the next grind.

It isn't a case of "we created this loophole". It's a case of "we have created a game-wide grinding mentality, and players are treating the Events as a grind".

But that's just it. The Event isn't being abandoned 3 weeks in. If players ONLY cared about the ships, they'd login, fly around for 5 minutes, and leave. They're not, though. Players are sticking around and grinding out Favors and Tags. If you ask me, THAT'S where they should be looking for their Event metrics, not how long it took players to get ships.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Its not about being competitive. People want those ships because they're fun, because they like to collect things, because they can.

Telling new players "you can never have X because you weren't here Y years ago" doesn't help attract new players.

but that's just the reality of how these things are. they are only special, because they exist in this manner, their value is subject to the fact, that they were limited to a specific time frame. i only had a single fed character during the anniversary that rewarded the worf sash, id so love to have that on all my fed characters, but you know what? its all the more special because i cant, and anyone that sees me wearing it, knows i was there.

anyone who joins a new game with the expectation of getting access to all the historical glitter, is at best somewhat delusional and misinformed on how reward systems work and where the value lies in them. in the case of these ships, they were a carrot on a stick to keep players logging into game x times in y number of days. as with most events and challenges, if you aren't there to take part or compete, you don't get the goody bag or the medal.

new players should be pleased that they wont have to farm the full event on every character to get their ships as many of us did. we older players aren't getting anything extra here, this new rule is just being applied retrospectively, as such we have already earned those ships, where as, new players or those players that never took part in the events haven't. so please explain to me why its unfair for new players to not get the old ships, and then maybe take some time to consider, just how unfair it would really be to us old players, if the new players did get access to them..
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Having no chance against the purple boards is a bit of a turn off for that event as it is a PvP event.

Which is why I stuck to the Hunt and Flying High.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited May 2015
    But that's just it. The Event isn't being abandoned 3 weeks in. If players ONLY cared about the ships, they'd login, fly around for 5 minutes, and leave. They're not, though. Players are sticking around and grinding out Favors and Tags. If you ask me, THAT'S where they should be looking for their Event metrics, not how long it took players to get ships.

Perhaps "abandoned" is too extreme of a description. I noticed a serious decline of players on Risa comparing week 1 and 2 to week 3 onwards. I skipped the Winter Event this past year, so I can't comment on that.

I think most players grind out favors for whatever goodies they want within the first couple of weeks and then don't log in again, except to run "Flying High" once a day. Which... is pretty much how it is going to be this year...
    edited May 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »

maybe you should actually read the salami post before commenting on it.. not once was there any mention of exploiting, or any insinuation, innuendo or hinting of such.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
This discussion has been closed.