test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About those prices

oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
Ok, first off, undoubtably most of you will agree with what I say here... SO lets relax.. This post is to the Money Management folk at Cryptic.

I'm going to start with something that a dev said, forget which one. It's a short list. I could get off my lazy self and go dig it up, but it's not absolutly essential.

"KDF items don't sell well"

I won't argue with it, because it doesn't surprise me. We have one KDF costume option in the Zen store. The Academy Uniform.. We do have unlocks in game but it's delivered ice cold rebuttle dept. of "It's not like we have anything we get to buy"

Cryptic took a bath on the Bartasqu because even with its' "specials" it's not percieved as a very good ship in STO by the players. While it looks awesome, it just doesn't really fit anywhere in the KDF line up. The selection of ship prior to t-6 just wasn't really there. The poor reception of the Bortasqu feels very much like it has been used as an excuse.

Prior to this year we really didn't have that many "New" ships to play with as KDF. There is a legion of reason why Cryptic chose to not create more ships for the KDF. I'll rebuttle that Cryptic hasn't exactly gone out of their way to try and turn this around.

Ok, theres some spade work done. Time to get to the fruit of the matter.

Dear Devs:
Um, your ships in this game, are too expensive. $30 usd worth of Zen for the new pilot ships.. less of course if you buy bundles. I realize that a whole bunch of work has gone into them. I used to mod for SFC-II.. Building the mesh, Several version.. whole, damaged, scrapped. distance models. several setting points for effects, weapon fire, skinning the model, building damage maps. And these days skinning is even more fun, reflective maps, glow effects, little enhancements to improving the virtual 3d look. I have a very very good idea of just the manhours involved are to produce the product and a decent idea of the process from the first verbal concept to and end product, factoring in the development of new game mechanics and systems that come with the ships.

But $30. I ran a hobby shop. And plastic kit manufacturers are pretty good about getting out to the model building community just how much is involved in making model kits. And thats before they even get to mass production costs. You don't have any production costs after you make the ship in game. And I'd really find it hard to believe that it would cost Cryptic any more in developments costs to add a ship to the game, then say Tamiya to create a model, molds, decal sheet, build instruction, box art and packaging, promotional materials for a new model kit. And lets not forget distribution overhead. Still gotta get the product to the customer.

a $30 plastic kit.. far more common today then it was even 5 years ago.. but typically.. a lot model kits retail for under $15..and some of the small scale items are even less...

I look at the prices of what you offer in the Zen store and the retailer in my soul go's
"You guys have not a clue on how to sell product." And I have by doubts as to if you truely understand your market. I know plenty of your customers out here are very dis-satisfied with how you go about it. What I can't figure out is, at the rate that the studio has shown it can develop new ships and new mechanic for the game why you don't want to promote getting that into the players hands just as fast as possible. Cryptic does not have distribution overhead cost that are in any way significant. Charging more for a virtual product with a lifetime of the product limited to the life time of what its made for... You wan't me to pay you $30 for a in game ship? And your upset because I have sufficiently high IQ to figure out why its really not all that good of a deal?
... Hey I only PLAY in a fantasy SciFi setting ok, I don't actually live there!

Please please.. take it from a pro.. Drop your prices.. all of your zen prices for EVERYTHING by 50% permanently. We the consumers don't really have as much free cash as you think we do to spend on recreational activities...including MMO's. Your price points are set far far to high across the board, and... your competing in the game with your own cash shop...which strikes me as rather wierd. I personally look at the prices of the newest ships as singletons and its just to much money to pay.. and I don't think your going to get the return you should. If your aiming the game at a level of difficulty down the road to where the end game content is going to pretty much require players to get the new mechanic ships you are shooting yourselves in the wallet! I've watched it happen to CCG's and other collectable game types. It's not that different. And I can list game titles for table top games that have expanded themselves right out of their market and essentially suicided a product line.

(Back to the KDF and then I'm done.)

Look at what happened with the Bortasqu. When the ship was introduced to the game is really wasn't up to what the KDF players wanted, and nor did it fill any percieved need for KDF ship lineup. I personally felt that it was "We made the End-F for the Feds, we need to make something for the Klingons". You even created a lovely bridge for it. But it really wasn't anything but a very few KDF players were even interested in, especially when comparing it to then existing KDF ships. On top of giving it a "special" weapon that fired in a cannon type arc and could mount cannons as weapons mated to the absolutely worst turn mode hull in the KDF lineup. Yea that worked real well for Cryptic didn't it. NO wonder the sales of it stunk, and still stink. It almost feels like the ship was created to purposely be a shelf dog. It's certainly been used as an example and an excuse.

Maybe KDF sales on the Intel, command and pilot ships have, or will improve over previous sale performance of KDF material. I do know that KDF players want a racial Klingon science ship. I don't understand why Cryptic hasn't delivered some sort of basic T5 Klingon science ship, an upgrade version, and a fleet version and its associated upgrade by now. This isn't even touching on a tier 6 version. Cryptic policies, and that is what they apparently are NOW, towards creating KDF content at any level has seriously impacted KDF players willingness to buy ANYTHING.

Just as a matter of recognizing how human react to opinions and statements, the studios situation has NOT been helped by continuing declarations by developer stuff that it is essentially not worth the time to develop exclusive KDF content. Doesn't matter if its true or not. It's not something you say to customers if you wish to retain them. Much less make money off them.

To make it plain, what as TRIBBLE hole thing to say to your customers. What a great way to set up in peoples mind a real attitude of "You don't want customer?" and to create fertile ground for failure

Ummm.. well, you know, if you done made up your mind on this, and that's the way its going to be... Why did you even bother developing KDF Command, Intell, and Pilot ships, and why was there even a bother of posting recently by a Dev of some costume revamps incoming that are specificly KDF?. Isn't that a bit of a mixed message?

I suppose KDF plays should be thank full on the one hand, but your not exactly encouraging KDF players to buy your latest toys. Seems to me there is a bit of a disconnect there. And itis NOT on the customers and specificly the KDF players end. It's all you guys!

Like it or not.. you made STO with a second faction. The original concept behind the game was to have three factions if I recall. not two. After 5 years it's all water well under the bridge But Cryptic needs to pay attention to all of its customers here and now.. doesn't matter what faction they play. I'm relatively confident that the percentage of play time expended on KDF toons has climbed above the infamous 18% by now. Is it still 18%? If it hasn't grown, which it should have by now, Has it shrunk? If it did, why did it? These are the questions.

Your customers are not stupid people. And Trek fan in particular have seen a great deal of poor quality products aimed at their wallets for decades. We even make jokes about it. Feel free to go look up the history of Trek based computer games and the long long long list of games that were both financial failures, and technical flops if your not all ready aware of them. Cryptic has managed to avoid this fate.

But 'ware hubris! We can't help but notice that there seems to be rather a lot of code cleanup that seems to grow exponentially over previous season release/major upgrades. Right now the game has a few integration issues with it new tech and systems. Some folk are awefully irritated about it because its impacting their enjoyment of the game, while many of us vet types are going about and smugly showing our moral superiority and maturity by taking in stride. That and we know that there are some folks working on getting those issues knocked out. Of 'couse not anywhere fast nuff for us... But then, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have gotten into the MMO industry in the first place. I know that there is at least one alter to Murphy and possibly several more to any patron saint/diety of computing real or imaginary scattered surreptitiously or obviously around the Cryptic offices.

Ok done, and because you been patient readers.. here is a synopsis:

You charge to much for micro transaction items, and if your customers choose to be wise investors of their recreational dollars, your won't get sales in the volume you should on the item that tend to take the most work to produce. Do something about this. If the stuff ain't selling in the volume you think it should then the studio is doing the something wrong.

The studio's representatives have made public statements in such a way as to apparently shift or create blame on to your customers for a lack of sales performance and that qualifies as a "Very Bad Thing". It effects sales. That the lack of sales performance is then sated by representatives as the reason to not develop certain additional content. *golf clap* Wow, just... wow.

Ok, done, Off do go my daily R&D projects, do DOFF missions, contribute to rep projects. And if I have anything left, contribute to fleet projects. Then go out and grind for tomorrows shopping list.

See ya

Khemaraa sends
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For anyone that is not interested in reading this entire post, it can pretty much be summed up in this one sentence:

Dear Devs: Um, your ships in this game, are too expensive.

BTW, that is not me putting words in the OP's mouth, that is an actual quote from his post.

Anyway, my response is this: I have gotten pretty much everything I want from the game store without spending any of my own money. I have a pretty good dilithium farming system worked out, so I am steadily converting dilithium to zen every day. And eventually, I get what I want. The "problem" is if you want something instantly, in which case your "only" option is to buy it with your own money. But that "problem" is actually a choice, and not your only one.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For anyone that is not interested in reading this entire post, it can pretty much be summed up in this one sentence.

My response is this: I have gotten pretty much everything I want from the game store without spending any of my own money. I have a pretty good dilithium farming system worked out, so I am steadily converting dilithium to zen every day. And eventually, I get what I want. The "problem" is if you want something instantly, in which case your "only" option is to buy it with your own money. But that "problem" is actually a choice, and not your only one.

Thank you for summing it up. :D
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    $30.00 can be perceived as expensive. But then again, if you use the ship for a year it is $2.50 a month. And even then it is quite possible that you are paying less then $30.00 due to the Dilithium Exchange and/or Stipend.

From my own perspective, I spend more than $30.00 a month at Starbucks. I spend more than $30.00 a month on movie tickets. I spend more than $30.00 a month on many of my hobbies. Heck, I spend more than $30.00 a month on the internet I use to play games. Hobbies are not cheap, no matter what they are.

The cost is relative to how much use you plan on getting out if it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    $30.00 can be perceived as expensive. But then again, if you use the ship for a year it is $2.50 a month. And even then it is quite possible that you are paying less then $30.00 due to the Dilithium Exchange and/or Stipend.

From my own perspective, I spend more than $30.00 a month at Starbucks. I spend more than $30.00 a month on movie tickets. I spend more than $30.00 a month on many of my hobbies. Heck, I spend more than $30.00 a month on the internet I use to play games. Hobbies are not cheap, no matter what they are.

Yep. Whenever I think about spending money on entertainment, I ask myself "how long does it take me to earn this amount of money?". Usually the answer is significantly less than the length of enjoyment I will get out of the purchase.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dont forget they have to pay a licence fee to CBS (and Paramount) for using Star Trek property.

They need to pay for every ship and costume and what not. So they have to calculate the licence fee, and their own operating costs (electricity, gas, water, employess, ...) into the items.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,517 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    undoubtably most of you will agree with what I say here... SO lets relax.

Not me.

I'd be more likely to agree if we were all paying Cryptic $15 a month to keep the lights on and the server hamsters in pellets. But we are not.

The F2P model for STO is that the gameplay is free but the ships, costumes and lockboxes make up for that.

It's not perfect, but at least it isn't like SWTOR where you can't play the new season content at all without spending $20.

So: $30? Not outraged compared to $15 a month, every month. I'm too cheap to do it, but my brother is paying $90/month for his iPhone. I used to pay $100+ a month for cable TV before I switched to Netflix + Amazon Prime streaming.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not me.

I'd be more likely to agree if we were all paying Cryptic $15 a month to keep the lights on and the server hamsters in pellets. But we are not.

The F2P model for STO is that the gameplay is free but the ships, costumes and lockboxes make up for that.

It's not perfect, but at least it isn't like SWTOR where you can't play the new season content at all without spending $20.

So: $30? Not outraged compared to $15 a month, every month. I'm too cheap to do it, but my brother is paying $90/month for his iPhone. I used to pay $100+ a month for cable TV before I switched to Netflix + Amazon Prime streaming.

I have to agree with you.

There are things I like about the STO model. I like a ship, I buy that ship.. I like that I pay for specifically what I want. This is the reason I don't play the Lockbox Lottery, I like to pay 'X' to receive 'Y.'

I buy a ship here and there, but I spend more then $30 just in the average night out, so if I buy a ship for that and I get hours of entertainment value out of it, it's not a big deal to me. As you said, it would be different if I were also paying per month to play and having to buy expansions.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree. The ships are too expensive. On the other hand, they're unlocked across the account which is nice. If they were a little cheaper, I'd seriously consider getting the pilot ships, but I'll probably hold off for a T6 Defiant.
  • Options
    cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The issue i haven't isn't really with the prices as such, its that outside of paid content you literally get no ship options, i can understand that they are a business and they have to make money, and i dont really have an "issue" with the highest end items being behind a pay wall, however, and this is likely to be unpopular, there is no real reason that they can't just release a T5 non-upgradeable version of the new ships, drop their stats to be in line with the T5 line and obviously drop the ship trait, but let people actually buy these ships at a much lower investment of EC/Dil like the current ship offerings, not only would that allow more people access to new toys it would also give you a better way to convert that person in to a paying customer by letting them upgrade that T5 to a T6 via the c-store at a discount.

That way everyone wins as people who aren't spending their lives farming dil or who have very limited playing time a chance to play with the new toys, it also lets people essentially do a "try before you buy" at a much lower cost, nothing worse than dropping $30 on a ship only to find you absolutely hate it, i mean why on earth would you want to make a blind purchase even car dealerships allow you a test drive :P
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But he does have a point on the KDF ships. If they aren't selling like you want them to. Then why do you make them? Since the devs have clearly stated they don't want to. I mean I know part of the problem with the KDF. They're TO MUCH LIKE FEDERATION SHIPS. They're Federation ship with KDF skins, half the stat blocks don't even make sense for the KDF. I know I've spent a grat deal of time going over KDf and Federation ships working on my KDF science ship project. Even without pay, I took a moment to address the potential maret for them, Ok they want an Orion Science Ship.. we'll start there. Now lets get teh basic stats done with help from others. Ok done. Then I presented it to the KDF players down in the KDF Fleetyard, from there I took their suggestions to mind, made the appropriate adjustments to fit what was being suggested. And right now, from the help of other KDF players. That idea has grown, not as two Orion science ships as it turned out to be. But in to three different ships, with three different purposes.

With the help of the KDF, Federation, and Romulan players that have pitched in on it. By the way thanks guy, couldn't have done it without you. It is now a Orion Science Vessel, a Naussican Raider, and a Lethean Dreadnought. All the devs have to do it look at this one post and see what the KDF are actually looking for in these three ships.

Ok before I go any farther off tangent.

Yes, the KDF ship don't sell. Why? Because they're basic re-skinned federation trash to us. Then as an EXCUSE not to actually develope anything new for the KDF you blame you customers. Which in turn, causes the customer to stop using their money on your product. But as long as Cryptic continues to blame their INCOMPOTENCE on its CUSTOMERS this will be the way of things. Its not the customers that needs to change to fit the companies need. Its teh company that needs to change to fit it's customers needs.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    But he does have a point on the KDF ships. If they aren't selling like you want them to. Then why do you make them? Since the devs have clearly stated they don't want to. I mean I know part of the problem with the KDF. They're TO MUCH LIKE FEDERATION SHIPS. They're Federation ship with KDF skins, half the stat blocks don't even make sense for the KDF. I know I've spent a grat deal of time going over KDf and Federation ships working on my KDF science ship project. Even without pay, I took a moment to address the potential maret for them, Ok they want an Orion Science Ship.. we'll start there. Now lets get teh basic stats done with help from others. Ok done. Then I presented it to the KDF players down in the KDF Fleetyard, from there I took their suggestions to mind, made the appropriate adjustments to fit what was being suggested. And right now, from the help of other KDF players. That idea has grown, not as two Orion science ships as it turned out to be. But in to three different ships, with three different purposes.

With the help of the KDF, Federation, and Romulan players that have pitched in on it. By the way thanks guy, couldn't have done it without you. It is now a Orion Science Vessel, a Naussican Raider, and a Lethean Dreadnought. All the devs have to do it look at this one post and see what the KDF are actually looking for in these three ships.

Ok before I go any farther off tangent.

Yes, the KDF ship don't sell. Why? Because they're basic re-skinned federation trash to us. Then as an EXCUSE not to actually develope anything new for the KDF you blame you customers. Which in turn, causes the customer to stop using their money on your product. But as long as Cryptic continues to blame their INCOMPOTENCE on its CUSTOMERS this will be the way of things. Its not the customers that needs to change to fit the companies need. Its teh company that needs to change to fit it's customers needs.

With a limit to how many boffs seatings there are with every ship, wouldn't eventually all ships [Fed/KDF/Rom] become mirror versions of each other?

So, it doesn't surprise me that you would use the term, re-skinned Fed trash.

Because, outside of having no real choices in Rom sci vessels, their ships are pretty much re-skinned Fed/KDF trash!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    cypherous wrote: »
    The issue i haven't isn't really with the prices as such, its that outside of paid content you literally get no ship options,

Fortunately, you don't have to pay. You can get any item you want in the game store using the dilithium exchange. No, it's not instant, nor should it be.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,517 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ... or though events. My Breen T6 carrier and Kobali T6 cruiser are both good ships.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Money spent on the game isn't bad. The prices are not that bad. However I don't buy them, to be buying them. Each ship I bought was well thought out and how much I will use them. Some I bought to have, and don't use that often. Others is like my main ship and get used a lot.

Like Cosmic said. I spend $30 on all kinds of stuff. And don't blink an eye. So buying a ship isn't that much specially if I will enjoy using it for a while.

Other option is to play and get Dil and use it on the exchange. I bought lots of items this way too. Before the prices went through the roof.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It never ceases to amaze me how the more recent generation of gamers keep finding excuses and ways to rationalize corporate capitalist greed, and not just in STO. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It never ceases to amaze me how the more recent generation of gamers keep finding excuses and ways to rationalize corporate capitalist greed, and not just in STO. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between "rationalization" and facts. Whether you like Cryptic's business model or not(which is where "rationalization" would come in), the FACT is that you have a way to get any item in the game store without spending any of your own money. That is not an opinion, that is not a rationalization, that is a FACT.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Recent generation? I have been MMO gaming since Ultima Online in 1997. Speak for yourself, youngster. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Cryptic is just like any other company. They need $ to survive and keep making games. I guess you rather have them shut down and we all won't be playing. :rolleyes:

Young? Not really I been playing on-line games since Command & Conquer first came out. Consul games since the Super NES came out. First MMO was wow before the Burning Crusade.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Recent generation? I have been MMO gaming since Ultima Online in 1997. Speak for yourself, youngster. :)

What's funny is the thought that any generation of gamers are all in agreement on any given subject anyway. But the fact is, whether you have been playing for days or decades, every person has their own view on every issue, so his point is actually pointless.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just had a funny thought, Cryptic reads this and slashes it's prices in half, but gets rid of the dil exchange.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Anybody that blows $30 on a ship in STO is getting taken for a ride. If I did what you described I'd either be broke on my TRIBBLE X all my ships or bored out of my TRIBBLE because I was flying the same old ship for a WHOLE YEAR.

L2CONTRABAND PEOPLE.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I just had a funny thought, Cryptic reads this and slashes it's prices in half, but gets rid of the dil exchange.

The Exchange makes them money.

Some people need Dil.
    Some people need Zen.
    Cryptic sells Zen.
    People farm Dil.

People farming Dil for those that buy Zen from Cryptic...voila!

Would be nifty if they provided bagels on Friday or something. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

They would only be hurting themselves by doing so. Every unit of zen on the exchange was purchased by someone, or came from their stipend. That being the case, Cryptic/PW is still making their money from every transaction that happens on the exchange. Also, a lot of people actually buy zen just to trade on the exchange for dilithium, and if the exchange were gone they wouldn't be spending that money. So no, Cryptic would never do that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Anybody that blows $30 on a ship in STO is getting taken for a ride. If I did what you described I'd either be broke on my TRIBBLE X all my ships or bored out of my TRIBBLE because I was flying the same old ship for a WHOLE YEAR.

L2CONTRABAND PEOPLE.

than you must pay/grind very little towards the game economy, because $2.50 worth of zen, can be obtained via dilithium in 1 day!

Or, 1/3 - 1/100 of an hour of actual RL work!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Anybody that blows $30 on a ship in STO is getting taken for a ride.
    Anyone who spends $180.00 a year Subscribing to WoW - or any one of the dozens of other MMOs - is being taken for a ride then? Yet they do not feel that way. Why not? Because they are getting enjoyment out of their $180.00 spent a year.

Whether you spend $180.00 a year on a Subscription or $180.00 on 6 new ships, if you feel you are getting enjoyment out of it then it is money well spent.
  • Options
    cronos722cronos722 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree the price is to high.

Overall they would like $120 for 9 ship which are really just 3 ships re-skinned twice. Which makes it $40 per ship.

Considering 3 months ago they had the command bundle for $120 with the same gimmick.

4 months before the command bundle was the delta pack for $150, which had more variety and add-ons.

So we are up to $390 for c-store purchase; not including the lock box ships and promotional ships which could range anywhere between $240 - $510 for the 9 ships.

Not to mention the hidden cost like ship slots that nickel and dime you.

So compared to a $20 subscription per month game, which brings us to $240 a year we are looking over budget.

Insert argument of you get choice and you don't have to or you can play to earn to pay here and so on.... My opinion is I like to play the whole game not just a piece so I look at it as a whole. If you want me to open the wallet the "super" bundle is no good unless you put some more fluff.

On a side note I love cannons these ships are made for cannons but LAG!!!! is no good for cannons so instant wallet closed.

Plus I do understand the need to keep the lights on policy and cost associated with colocation, bandwidth leasing and overall company management, which are way more than most in these forums would believe.

If I missed anything on my quick analysis I apologize.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cronos722 wrote: »
    If I missed anything on my quick analysis I apologize.

Just the "just because they're selling something doesn't mean you have to buy it" aspect.
  • Options
    cronos722cronos722 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Insert argument of you get choice and you don't have to or you can play to earn to pay here and so on.... My opinion is I like to play the whole game not just a piece so I look at it as a whole. If you want me to open the wallet the "super" bundle is no good unless you put some more fluff.

Had that covered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Can you please elaborate on this? I can't quite tell what you mean, so I want to clarify before actually responding to your point.

Also, you really didn't make any counter-point to the FACT that you can get the items in the zen store without spending ANY of your own money, by using the dilithium exchange.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They would only be hurting themselves by doing so. Every unit of zen on the exchange was purchased by someone, or came from their stipend. That being the case, Cryptic/PW is still making their money from every transaction that happens on the exchange. Also, a lot of people actually buy zen just to trade on the exchange for dilithium, and if the exchange were gone they wouldn't be spending that money. So no, Cryptic would never do that.

It does not seem that I got my point across. What I was trying to say that, everytime Cryptic adds something to the game, something else is taken away.

One Example:

New and improved R&D is added, Duty officer packs no longer drop consoles.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator