test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cardassian faction: how would you solve the lockbox problem?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Realistically speaking, there is probably going to be a new faction added at some point. And if this is any indication, there is a good chance it will be Cardassian. However, one of the main issues that comes up whenever a Card faction is discussed is the problem of the lockbox ships, specifically how do you ensure that the lockbox ships retain their value while players are able to get those same(or very similar) ships for "free" when advancing through the ranks of a Card faction. With that issue in mind, how would you solve the lockbox problem?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2015
    My suggestion is to do all of the following:

A) make sure that the lockbox ships are superior to the free "rank reward" ships(which is already the case with other factions vs lockbox ships, so this is basically just stating the obvious)

B) give anyone who has a lockbox Card ship 1 free choice of whatever zen store Card ships come with the faction

C) make sure the lockbox ships have some unique console/power that will never be available from the "free" ships or the zen store ships for that faction

While not perfect, I think doing all of these things will allow a Card faction to have it's iconic ships, while not completely devaluing the lockbox ships people have invested in.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't. Those players have had the use of and the exclusiveness of a Galor for considerable time, anyone who still gambles for a Galor now does so knowing that they are risking not only their Zen but also their status should a Cardassian faction be announced.

I don't think you can honestly expect a game asset to always maintain it's value, see bug ship for details.

Oh and for the record I have both those ships.

As reasonable as your opinion is, there are definitely going to be others who disagree and feel that their Card lockbox ships should retain their value, and their opinion is just as valid as yours. So for PR reasons, I still hope Cryptic will do what they can to make as many people who have these ships are has happy as possible(key word).

And for the record, I have none of these ships so this issue does not effect me at all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    A) make sure that the lockbox ships are superior to the free "rank reward" ships(which is already the case with other factions vs lockbox ships, so this is basically just stating the obvious)

Well, "superior" to the freebie ships that you would get by leveling... meaning, the free Galor you'd likely get once hitting Gul/captain? Sure, since that would be a T4 ship, likely.
    B) give anyone who has a lockbox Card ship 1 free choice of whatever zen store Card ships come with the faction

Never gonna happen. Because Bug Ship.
    C) make sure the lockbox ships have some unique console/power that will never be available from the "free" ships or the zen store ships for that faction

Unlikely, also because Bug Ship. Cryptic could have decided to leave the JHAS pets with just the classic Bug... but they didn't. They could leave the Spiral Wave Disruptors with the Galor LB, but they likely won't.

My simple solution (someone else posted this sometime):

Rename the lock box to the "True Way Lock Box." Rename the Galor the "True Way Galor."

Problem solved.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Keep the lockbox Galor as a cruiser, and give the Cardassian faction a destroyer version of it.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Discontinue the lockbox; making them limited items akin to promotion ships. It's a pretty dated box at this point and rewards aren't particularly appealing compared to more recent boxes.

Lockbox Galor remains as it is(T5U). The Faction Galor is a level 30 leveling ship.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would gladly trade my Galors for a Cardassian faction.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Was the Galor class the first ever lock box ship? I know there was also the Ferengi, but it didn't come with a unique console and just the ability to use Spiral Wave Phasers (which I always wanted more than the ship).

I'd say to suddenly provide people who already own the ship a special console and have it included when you get the ship from now on...and for the Lobi version to be a different class.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Well, "superior" to the freebie ships that you would get by leveling... meaning, the free Galor you'd likely get once hitting Gul/captain? Sure, since that would be a T4 ship, likely.

Never gonna happen. Because Bug Ship.

Unlikely, also because Bug Ship. Cryptic could have decided to leave the JHAS pets with just the classic Bug... but they didn't. They could leave the Spiral Wave Disruptors with the Galor LB, but they likely won't.

My simple solution (someone else posted this sometime):

Rename the lock box to the "True Way Lock Box." Rename the Galor the "True Way Galor."

Problem solved.

Whether any of my specific suggestions actually happen isn't important to me. As long as they can work out some way to make most of the people who have the lockbox card ships feel like they still have something cool, I don't really care how they do it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Realistically speaking, there is probably going to be a Cardassian faction added at some point. However, one of the main issues that comes up whenever a Card faction is discussed is the problem of the lockbox ships, specifically how do you ensure that the lockbox ships retain their value while players are able to get those same(or very similar) ships for "free" when advancing through the ranks of a Card faction. With that issue in mind, how would you solve the lockbox problem?

One suggestion I saw was to release the Galor at T4 and the Keldon at T6, with the T5U lockbox Galor being a sort of "elite" Galor.

Even the shows seem to imply multiple tiers and configurations of the Galor class. Look at the performance gap between the Galor class in TNG's "The Wounded," versus DS9.

As a Galor owner, I would consider this both canon and equitable, to have both a T4 and T5U Galor.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Whether any of my specific suggestions actually happen doesn't actually matter to me. As long as they can work out some way to make most of the people who have the lockbox card ships feel like they still have something cool, I don't really care how they do it.

I like the sentiment... but why should the Cardie ship owners get special treatment? Bug owners sure didn't... and watch how many forum dumpster fires start if the devs start showing "favoritism" for one select group of owners over another.

Cryptic already started down this path. Any way they cut it, people will be angry.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Its just the galor, all you do is label the lockbox galor as trueway and thats it.
    Give the cardi faction an " iconic " galor.

The only problem comes when a dominion faction is implemented, how do you cope with all those lockbox ships!! And jemmy gear from missions?
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly I don't see it as even BEING a problem. So the people who have the Galor are now able to use a ship belonging to another faction, I don't see anything wrong with that. They also get epic Spiral Wave Disruptors cheap and easy, where as actual Cardassians will have to pay through the nose to upgrade their SWDs to epic levels.

The whole, "Oh well we put their most iconic ship in a box so now we can't make them a faction" is a crock. Oh and let's not forget that the lockbox Galor is roughly equivalent to what the fleet level Galor would be in terms of stats. Sooooo, yeah.

Really not a problem at all, nothing that even needs to be solved. If they feel THAT strongly about it they could simply release a "Alpha Alliance Diplomatic" lockbox with the Galaxy, D'Deridix and the Negh'var (or Vorcha) and be done with it. There now everyone is capable of getting the iconic ship of their allied factions. Slap on some custom paint jobs depending on who is using it and there yeah go.

Does it mean you will occasionally so a KDF officer flying a DD or Galaxy? Sure. Does it mean that you would see them everywhere? No.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I like the sentiment... but why should the Cardie ship owners get special treatment? Bug owners sure didn't... and watch how many forum dumpster fires start if the devs start showing "favoritism" for one select group of owners over another.

Cryptic already started down this path. Any way they cut it, people will be angry.

Not precisely the same thing though. The Gamma Quadrant pack JHAS was replaced by the equally limited and hard to get R&D pack JHSS. The Galor is looking at being replaced by a Tier-4 ship that's inferior to it in every way but available free as part of leveling, and then a Tier-6 iconic ship that is superior to it in every and by being purchasable straight from the Zen store, in most ways cheaper.

But having identified the way this comparison isn't really fair, basically I agree with you. Existing characters won't have access to the shiny new Galors they make as comparable ships to the Tier-4 and 6 Galaxies, Negh'vars and D'deridexes since existing players won't be part of the new Cardassian faction. They have the only Galor that's available to non-Cardassians, which puts them head and shoulders above the Federation players who want to Kirk it up in a time traveling B'rel.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    Not precisely the same thing though. The Gamma Quadrant pack JHAS was replaced by the equally limited and hard to get R&D pack JHSS. The Galor is looking at being replaced by a Tier-4 ship that's inferior to it in every way but available free as part of leveling, and then a Tier-6 iconic ship that is superior to it in every and by being purchasable straight from the Zen store, in most ways cheaper.

And, the point?

The LB Galor and JHAS were "gamble ships." The JHAS was replaced by the JHSS. IMO, it's silly to think the LB Galor would get any special treatment.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    One suggestion I saw was to release the Galor at T4 and the Keldon at T6, with the T5U lockbox Galor being a sort of "elite" Galor.

Even the shows seem to imply multiple tiers and configurations of the Galor class. Look at the performance gap between the Galor class in TNG's "The Wounded," versus DS9.

As a Galor owner, I would consider this both canon and equitable, to have both a T4 and T5U Galor.

That sounds reasonable to me.

I get your point, and I know that no matter what they do some people won't like it. However I still hope they will do things in a way to make as many people happy as possible.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Eh, they shouldn't do anything. People have been flying Galors for years now. If they get so fussy that others can fly it just because a Cardie faction is released, then that's their problem.

Besides, if the original bit of flavor text for the Galors is true, these are 40 year-old Galors that Damar 'hid' back when he started to go against the Dominion. They are most assuredly NOT modern, up-to-date (in the terms of STO's time) ships. Even if they are being kept up to date, it's all on imported or otherwise specially-made parts.

Comparatively, to the Cardassion Union, which might fly it's own Galors, but able to build and update them right there, just as any major power keeps it's ships going strong.

So if a Cardassian faction was made, I think they should make the ships how they WANT to make the ships, and not worry about the Galors already in the game.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This conversation is bringing up something I hadn't considered: what is Cryptic going to do with Tier 5 in a new faction?

Obviously, there will be new "free" ships to fill the F2P requirement. But will they deal with Level 50 T5 ships, which are C-Store purchases?

Or... will the Cardie faction be the first "clean" faction that bypasses T5-U to a large degree, and jumps straight to T6?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think it's questionable that they will add a cardassian or dominion faction. IT will get harder and harder to integrate their story lines into the existing one.

If they decide to go for it, I think they will just not "deal" with the lockboxes. The lockboxes give you a non-facion ship, that's their unique value.

Maybe they "compensate" by picking one ship from every faction and turn it into a lockbox reward. I suppose that would depend on how CBS sees this issue a bit.

One could argue we already have a precedent - the Borg Adapted Romulan vessels are Romulan, after all, and yet any faction can use them. (Of course, there are some slight difference, like the adapted ships being from the Empire, not the Republic.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Option #1
    Don't release the Cardassian Faction. Ever.

Option #2
    Replace the Galor with another ship of equal value; maybe the Keldon (a ship otherwise limited, even within Cardassian ranks).

Option #3
    Present said Cardassian Faction with a Tier#4 Galor, with no chance of upgrade.

Option #4
    Ignore those who have one via a Lock Box and release a better one for even more dollars; this wouldn't be the first move Cryptic have made whilst taking away from what has been earned, though it would be one of the more severe ones.

Option #5
    Present Galor owners with a one-time exchangeable token, allowing them to purchase outright one of the other Lock Box ships in exchange for their Galor Cruiser.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The lockbox ship is a way to fly the ship while playing a non-Cardassian character. I'd say that's a special enough thing to be going on with.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    The lockbox ship is a way to fly the ship while playing a non-Cardassian character. I'd say that's a special enough thing to be going on with.
    I disagree. If/When a Cardassian faction is released, I think people will want those ships within the faction. I find it unlikely many people will care to fly a Galor whilst playing FED/KDF/ROM.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    Option #4
    Ignore those who have one via a Lock Box and release a better one for even more dollars; this wouldn't be the first move Cryptic have made whilst taking away from what has been earned, though it would be one of the more severe ones.

This is the most likely option, however.

One ship will not stop them from releasing the Cardie faction, if that is the way they want to go.

After the JHSS, nothing is sacred anymore.
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Realistically speaking, there is probably going to be a Cardassian faction added at some point

no not realistic at all. cardassians are just to small to make up a whole faction. they are vastly devastaded as a major power, like garak said in the end of ds9. they got kicked in the TRIBBLE by bajoran rebels and got kicked again by the dominion.

i suspect a faction-spread playable cardassian species is worth a thought.

we wont see dominion or cardassian factions ever. they just are no major factions within the story. dominion is a pure nemesis, and the cardassians are just to small now after ds9.
    also the borg are not meant to be a full faction at all. they are a nemesis too. it would destroy the whole storyline if they are playable fully.

captured borgvessels? okay. allied liberated cooperative ships, okay as well.

full borg, dominion, cardassian? NOT EVER i hope.

i already hate the romulan end solution ... i still hope they sometime will recover to a full united independant empire again ...
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Equally important question...

I have a KDF alien who looks like (read actually is in my mind) a cardassian and he flies the galor.

I would be much more interested in being able to 'convert' him into a proper Cardassian, if said faction was ever released, than what happens to his ship....

At his point I would prefer no new faction at all and just for them to release a +1 cardassian lockbox with the keldon in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    no not realistic at all. cardassians are just to small to make up a whole faction. they are vastly devastaded as a major power, like garak said in the end of ds9. they got kicked in the TRIBBLE by bajoran rebels and got kicked again by the dominion.

The "realistic" part I am referring to is from a business perspective, not a story perspective. However from a story perspective, I think a Cardassian faction will be similar to the Romulan Republic...for better or worse.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Rubbish.

Sure, the Cardassians suffered greatly after the Dominion War, but that was some 35 years ago. The supernova that hit (and destroyed) Romulus was a lot more recent, and we have a band of civilians that have turned up their own small empire. If a bunch of Romulan Refugees that lost their homeworld can once again become mighty, then you can be damn sure the Cardassians are capable of becoming again too.
    i suspect a faction-spread playable cardassian species is worth a thought.
    I would also prefer this option, but there's a lot less money in it for Cryptic.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I always liked the idea someone posted a long time ago...

Change the lock box Galor and call it the True Way Galor and give it a new skin.

The Cardy faction Galor...could make it a lower tier than the box one...maybe T4. According to Memory Alpha the Keldon class is the evolution of the Galor...and lets face it they're pretty similar :P

The Keldon can be t5 or t6...and there you have it...problem solved.

I hope we'll get a Cardassian rep like the Romulan one...because I want Spiral Wave Disruptors! (Two stat mods like the Romulan Plasma so it doesn't devalue the beams the lock box ship came with)
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd just discontinue the Cardassian lockbox, let everyone who got one to that point keep them as they are and release the Cardassian factions Galor while completely ignoring the lockbox version. There has been so much change that hurt a way, way larger share of players, so what's the big deal in stumping that small handful of Galor owners? Their reward is that they had been able to fly a Galor for 3-4 years before the faction hit.
    I would be much more interested in being able to 'convert' him into a proper Cardassian, if said faction was ever released, than what happens to his ship....

Well...you're probably going to be in the same boat as those folks who put a lot of time and effort into an Alien or Vulcan "count-as-romulan" before LOR hit.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Posted a couple threads about this before, but I'll repost the one that is more to the point:
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Okay, I know you guys regret giving us a Galor-class so soon. But I have a solution to it that you guys may like. It does involve tweaking the existing Galor-class, but nothing to take away from it.

First, a simple rename of it. Call it "True-Way Galor". Maybe even slap an exclusive optional skin on it. That way you guys can make the faction-exclusive Galor-class and still let those who obtained the lockbox Galor have something exclusive. You can even put a 'weaker' version for a tier IV ship in the Cardassian faction, or perhaps give it different abilities so the lockbox Galor functions differently to the faction-exclusive somewhat like the mirror ships do for the existing factions.

Just some quick ideas to throw at you. They're yours if you wanna use 'em, Cryptic. :)
    (dead thread, do NOT post in/necro it)

Edit: Add to that, they should then rename the "Cardassian Lockbox" into the "True Way Lockbox" like they did with the "Xindi Lockbox".