::: opens the corpse chute hatch :::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

:eek: Can i toss tovan out that hatch taco?

I know it wont work he will just find his way back like some mangy dog but it would be fun :D
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Seriously though, BaddMoonRizin' there has my vote of what it should look like.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015

Hahaha...
    Seriously though, BaddMoonRizin' there has my vote of what it should look like.

:)

Honestly, though, I think Taco has better things to do with his time. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Again, you guys are getting into theoretical physics land, which is not helpful in this instance.

We are talking about THIS. What would THIS look like from the back?
    Personally, I don't think you would see anything from the back except perhaps a corona of light escaping from around the edges of the wormhole. What we see isn't a tangible object that exists in three-dimensional space, it's only the visible-light manifestation of the spacetime distortion--a "hole" in spacetime that as far as we know can only be entered from one side.

My WAG is that you'd see a starship approach the wormhole, see a flare of light as the aperture opened, perhaps then some of the visible leakage from around the edges of the aperture, and then the starship would seem to simply disappear as it reached the event horizon.

In terms of the actual in-game art asset, this effect could be accomplished very easily by creating the wormhole as a funnel shape and only texturing one side of it--or alternatively, texturing only the fringes that would "leak" around the edges.

The problem I see with this approach is that it is very likely to result in recurring threads from players who think that it's bugged because it disappears when they look at it from the back.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Liek this?

It kinda looks like a whirlpool from the front and the side... so if you looked at it from the back maybe it'd look like a whirlpool there too?

But the Celestial Temple doesn't have a long funnel on the outside, however it's aperture kind looks like it's spinning. apprently it's funnel shaped on the inside though.

maybe have the back as a spinning blue cone, but a very short one?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think I'd much rather see Taco spend his time revamping DS9 to the level of ESD or actually building the Gamma Quadrant, than worrying about how to animate/put the Bajoran Wormhole in Sector Space. Because, honestly, we don't need the Wormhole in Sector Space unless it's actually going to take us to the Gamma Quadrant. :rolleyes:

This. Why do we need the wormhole in sector space? It would be rediculously close to DS9, and we have it in the DS9 space map. That's where it belongs. You want to see the wormhole, you go to DS9. It's not like it's some random comet or trade ship passing by.

As for what it looks like from behind? I always figured it was the same spinning blue thing it was on the entrance side. The only difference is, it was flat and there was no opening. The whirling blue stuff covered the entire disk.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...Honestly, though, I think Taco has better things to do with his time. :D

Again, I agree with you.

;)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    grylak wrote: »
    This. Why do we need the wormhole in sector space? It would be rediculously close to DS9, and we have it in the DS9 space map. That's where it belongs. You want to see the wormhole, you go to DS9. It's not like it's some random comet or trade ship passing by.

As for what it looks like from behind? I always figured it was the same spinning blue thing it was on the entrance side. The only difference is, it was flat and there was no opening. The whirling blue stuff covered the entire disk.

Exactly. I figure, if/when we do get to explore the Gamma Quadrant, we should have to go to DS9 and approach the Wormhole on that map, which already has an animated Wormhole and there's no need to worry about how it would/should look in Sector Space.

The only problem with that would be the need for two map changes. Personally, I have no problem with that, but I'm sure there would be others that will complain. :rolleyes:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If/when the Gamma quad opens up, I can see them just rigging up the 'Travel to the Gamme Quadrant' button to DS9 itself in sector space. We know the wormhole is there, but having people go through the map change would draw alot of aggro from players. You would still be able to fly up to the wormhole in the space map though.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    maybe have the back as a spinning blue cone, but a very short one?

I like the funnel idea. Give the bajoran wormhole an energy tail that spins in relation to the Bajoran wormhole and eventually fades/tapers off into nothingness, but impossibly small in comparison to the entrance.

The tail would be too small to enter with a starship, thus everybody in Star Trek uses the entrance to enter the Gamma Quadrant, since it's the only part of the anomaly large enough to enter.

If there would ever be a Gamma Quadrant map added to sector space, it could simply be a mirrored effect, perhaps with some other landmark nearby to identify it as the Gamma Quadrant portion of the bajoran wormhole. If the Bajor part of it spins clockwise, then the Gamma Quadrant part would spin counter-clockwise.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Too bad DS9 came a couple of decades too early to reap the benefits of actual theoretical physics applied to cinema.

BIG fan of the wormhole in Interstellar here! But then my degree is in Physics, so, yeah. :)
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    astrorobla wrote: »
    Too bad DS9 came a couple of decades too early to reap the benefits of actual theoretical physics applied to cinema.

BIG fan of the wormhole in Interstellar here! But then my degree is in Physics, so, yeah. :)

Loved their explanation of the wormhole in that movie.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......