test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Taco, An idea/question

kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
Lovin the space map revamp. An idea hit me when I flew out to DS9. As I was approaching, I could make out the silhouette of DS9 in the far distance and was just neat how it was included with the planets orbiting the sun for that system. Here's what came to mind after that.

Would it be possible to have the bajoran wormhole randomly pop up in sector space like it does for the DS9 warp in map?

Thought it would make another pretty for us space travelers to observe as we fly by the system.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
-I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
-The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
Post edited by kdawgenigma on

Comments

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Not as easy as it sounds.

And what does the Wormhole look like from the back?

I don't think it would look as good as people think it would.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    auckaaucka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

Would it be possible to billboard it the way a lot of engines do grass and plants for ground environments?

In that case it seems like what it looks like in the back would be moot.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I imagine the Wormhole would look much like it's front from the back. It's a swirling vortex of energy with an aperture at the center, visually anyway. So theoretically it'd look the same from both sides when viewed on a flat plain. If there were any difference Id say the back would have a much tighter swirl and no visible aperture. And of course from the sides it'd kinda look like a small, blue, rapidly spinning galaxy I suppose.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I imagine that we just pretend that it opens when we're not looking and move along. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Weird. Go to the DS9 social map and fly behind it.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yeah, Taco, wouldn't it look roughly the same in all directions? As far as the shape of it, you could consider that much like the Black hole with the spiral that orbits it causing the cases to over heat and form a band around the hole. Only, in the case of the worm hole, it's the gases that are spewing out into the sector of space while simultaenously being pulled back in by the sudden gravometric disturbance. Thus, you have the light spewing in all directions from the center and the sorta ringish blue stuff around it.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    Yeah, Taco, wouldn't it look roughly the same in all directions? As far as the shape of it, you could consider that much like the Black hole with the spiral that orbits it causing the cases to over heat and form a band around the hole. Only, in the case of the worm hole, it's the gases that are spewing out into the sector of space while simultaenously being pulled back in by the sudden gravometric disturbance. Thus, you have the light spewing in all directions from the center and the sorta ringish blue stuff around it.

The problem isnt what is a wormhole supposed to look like...

We already know what the DS9 wormhole looks like from the TV shows. Doesnt matter if the DS9 wormhole isnt what a real wormhole looks like, people will associate that DS9 wormhole animation with DS9 so thats what you have to use. The problem is how do you animate that in 3 dimensional space. How do you animate it in such a way that no matter where you are-above, below, or around it the unique DS9 animation is what you see.

In games like WoW mage portals already have been doing this for the longest time. If you are on level ground and you pop a mage portal the image of the destination is on the portal. When you walk around it the image follows you. BUT the problem is when you go above or below that portal then you see that it is just a 2D image. There are actually lots of things that share that same visual effect like auras, priest bubbles, mage bubbles that kind of stuff. When on the same horizontal plane as the object it looks normal and follows your point of view, but once you go above or below it then things start to get skewed and it becomes obvious that it is a 3d image projected on a 2d canvas. I dont know what the technical term is for that kind of animation but if you need to see an example that is where you can see it.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stonewbie wrote: »
    The problem isnt what is a wormhole supposed to look like...

We already know what the DS9 wormhole looks like from the TV shows. Doesnt matter if the DS9 wormhole isnt what a real wormhole looks like, people will associate that DS9 wormhole animation with DS9 so thats what you have to use. The problem is how do you animate that in 3 dimensional space. How do you animate it in such a way that no matter where you are-above, below, or around it the unique DS9 animation is what you see.

In games like WoW mage portals already have been doing this for the longest time. If you are on level ground and you pop a mage portal the image of the destination is on the portal. When you walk around it the image follows you. BUT the problem is when you go above or below that portal then you see that it is just a 2D image. There are actually lots of things that share that same visual effect like auras, priest bubbles, mage bubbles that kind of stuff. When on the same horizontal plane as the object it looks normal and follows your point of view, but once you go above or below it then things start to get skewed and it becomes obvious that it is a 3d image projected on a 2d canvas. I dont know what the technical term is for that kind of animation but if you need to see an example that is where you can see it.

Too bad they can make it a sprite.. Check out every 3d game made in the 90's the sprite face always looked straight at you because they were flat objects.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Either way it could be done visually with current graphics because the parts we can't render wouldn't be visible to 3D eyes or able to be processed by 3D brains at all.

TL;DR: It doesn't look like anything from the back because the back doesn't exist in our space and we cannot ever even concieve it's shape let alone see it.

I'm just an armchair animator, ignoring the fact that the engine may not even be able to do it or that it would take a lot of work this is probably how i would do it.

-take a pyramid with a square base
    -all surfaces of the pyramid are transparent
    -bottom of the base is where the DS9 wormhole animation would show
    -the top of the pyramid would be anchored to a fixed point
    - the rest of the pyramid can swivel around in every direction but will not move because of the anchor point
    -the bottom face of the pyramid will have some kind of "aggro" mechanic where if a player is within a certain range of the DS9/Bajor system the bottom surface of the pyramid will turn and "look" directly at a player.
    -tricky part...have the above system happen individually for each player that approached DS9. Player A approaches from above and the south pyramid object #1 does all of the above and looks at player A. Player B approaches from below and the east of DS9 pyramid object #2 spawns and looks at player B. Both players have their own unique viewscreen that plays the DS9 wormhole animations.

Plan B would be to have a small but bright white/blue orb with short tendrils just spawn next to DS9 for a few seconds and then go away. It wont look like the DS9 wormhole but close enough i guess hehe.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    To everyone saying it looks the same from all sides,why do ships fling into/out of it always seem to do so at an angle? Why not fly straight into it? Why is there an apparent hole, and ejecting light, at the the angle that matches that of the ship's flight path?

We're not talking about "real" theoretical wormholes here. We're talking about the one on the show.

(this is where Aelfwin calls me a hypocrite again)

Too bad they can make it a sprite.. Check out every 3d game made in the 90's the sprite face always looked straight at you because they were flat objects.

We can make a sprite of the wormhole, but wouldn't it be odd if it was always facing you no matter which direction you were coming from? Plus, if it were a sprite, it couldn't animate.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I see your point on that.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015

well instead of actually implementing it or something would it be possible (if you and the rest have time) to perhaps take a crack at it then show us? obviously not now but if and when you can create it and do a basic example of how it could look etc. it would probably takes weeks or something maybe long but its a decent idea that deserves at least some sort of attempt at least. if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

probably better to bounce the idea off the community rather than just flat out not bother :) communication = better community response :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think I'd much rather see Taco spend his time revamping DS9 to the level of ESD or actually building the Gamma Quadrant, than worrying about how to animate/put the Bajoran Wormhole in Sector Space. Because, honestly, we don't need the Wormhole in Sector Space unless it's actually going to take us to the Gamma Quadrant. :rolleyes:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well instead of actually implementing it or something would it be possible (if you and the rest have time) to perhaps take a crack at it then show us? obviously not now but if and when you can create it and do a basic example of how it could look etc. it would probably takes weeks or something maybe long but its a decent idea that deserves at least some sort of attempt at least. if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

probably better to bounce the idea off the community rather than just flat out not bother :) communication = better community response :D

Nice idea except that you may be taking key dev time from a major thing to something trivial that might not work at all. Better to have a solid idea how to accomplish the wormhole before you start, 5hen get it into production and then address any leftover minutiae
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Take one of those storage bins that's taller than a bowling ball.

Place bowling ball in center of bin.

Fill bin with water until just a bit of the bowling ball is above the surface.

This is a fairly accurate model of a black hole.

The water is spacetime and the bowling ball is the displaced colapsar.

A "wormhole" would have to look similar.

I don't know what all the fireworks flying out is.

Wormhole would look the same from all sides as it is a puncture in spacetime.
  • Options
    benjaminmsbenjaminms Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I love the idea, there's the problem that it will be GPU-consuming if it is made in a decent way (eg without a lot of people complaining about how it is rendered). Also, how to project it?
    nezerol_6601.jpg
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A wormhole proceeds at a right angle from EVERY 3D DIRECTION AT ONCE. It's not a direction we can comprehend or visualize with our 3D brains, but that's how it works.

Considering wormholes are still theoretical you cannot make a definite statement on how they will look or how we would perceive them.

Writing in capital letters does not make your statement any more correct.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Considering wormholes are still theoretical you cannot make a definite statement on how they will look or how we would perceive them.

Even so, it's a 4-dimensional object.

we have no idea what it would look like, but... it wouldn't look normal that's for sure.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    morden613morden613 Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    equinox976 wrote: »

She used caps in place of italics, if you want to be pedantic like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Again, you guys are getting into theoretical physics land, which is not helpful in this instance.

We are talking about THIS. What would THIS look like from the back?
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...What would THIS look like from the back?

This?

#couldntresist

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Again, you guys are getting into theoretical physics land, which is not helpful in this instance.

We are talking about THIS. What would THIS look like from the back?

This?
    GrWzQke.png