test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[VIDEO] The Wizards of STO Present: MISFIRE! MISFIRE! MISFIRE!

Comments

• Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've read through the thread, but don't think I saw this mentioned.

Did the entire group in the STF try reducing their graphic options?
    Maybe have everyone at the same lower settings?

"But graphics is managed by your computer! It has no effect on gameplay for the server!"

Well, maybe... but leave no stone unturned.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    If only all pvpers had chosen that option...

all 5 of them?
    zobovor wrote: »
    Well, for all we know this could be some fancy new way to rebalance the game . :)
    It certainly seems to work better than anything they tried previously .
    Just look at the 9K DPS from our top DPS folks .

Sure, it may look like Darth Vader's version of bringing balance to the Force ... , but between the Emblems to Dil conversation and STO: Rebirth , it's certainly not the worst joke Cryptic ever pulled . :D

You can look at the 9k in a different way: These guys can get 9k without using any abilities and yet there people who struggle with 3-6k using all sorts of abilities...
    I've read through the thread, but don't think I saw this mentioned.

Did the entire group in the STF try reducing their graphic options?
    Maybe have everyone at the same lower settings?

"But graphics is managed by your computer! It has no effect on gameplay for the server!"

Well, maybe... but leave no stone unturned.

From my testing and experience, the gfx settings have no bearing on the misfiring glitch.

Usually if you have high gfx settings and go into, say, Starbase Defense, you'll get a loss of FPS due to all the players and NPCs doing stuff at the same time, however you wouldn't get any misfirings.

Unless i'm recording a video i play at low gfx settings, everything either turned off or set to lowest. I still get lag/misfires.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ive hade particular troubles with misfires with the romulan hyper torpedo , breen transphasic cluster torpedo and the vaadwaur cluster torp.

They are set to auto fire but there are times i get the cool down but nothing has fired
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So we've reached the point where the powercreep is so out of control that the servers literally can't handle it anymore? Amazing.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    So we've reached the point where the powercreep is so out of control that the servers literally can't handle it anymore? Amazing.

And Cryptic wont acknowledge it because itll hurt their bottom line. It would explain why theyve spent so long 'looking into it' with no word on the cause besides trendy saying a week or two ago that their data 'says its not the traits'.

I dont know how long they can stay in denial about their special ship traits and spec points turning the game into a lagfest. But at some point theyll have to either address it or watch people begin to leave left and right.
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    PvP was broken the entirety of this game's life, mentioned multiple times on gaming news outlets, Cryptic/PWE never batted an eye.

Too small of a demographic to bat an eye over. Trying to compare the disregard for PvP Community to the cash cow that is the PvE Community is foolish at best.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't worry about us, there are no serious PvPers left. If we haven't uninstalled already, we're reluctantly trying to get into PvE. Anyways, be careful because you're next :D.

Honestly, Competitive PvE is still a form of PvP and thus frowned upon by Cryptic...the "lag" must be on purpose, their best way to deal with folks doing too much damage. Yes, I've still got a few tinfoil hats around...bought them in bulk. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well yeah, now, PvP crowd has dwindled, so it's easy to jump to that conclusion. But let's not forget that PvP thrived for 6 seasons straight from the beginning, shall we?

Don't worry about us, there are no serious PvPers left. If we haven't uninstalled already, we're reluctantly trying to get into PvE. Anyways, be careful because you're next :D.

Before DR released my fleet was a PvP fleet, we used to hit the C&H and Arena queues pretty regularly... now i'm pretty much a lone as it has emptied out for other games.
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can look at the 9k in a different way: These guys can get 9k without using any abilities and yet there people who struggle with 3-6k using all sorts of abilities...

Well tbh, I looked at it in several ways :

It looked very broadsidey & clean .
    While it looked coordinated, a couple of times I did see the Excelsior shoot at different targets instead of focusing fire ( nobody's perfect) .
    Interesting place to "hug" the gate . Never tried that spot before .
    And last but not least ... , it seems that the intro tune for Baywatch is one of the more popular tunes used in STO videos !
    Someone must research why that is ... ! :P
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Misfire glitch isn't bug at all, it is a feature! Yes, apparently dps has been pushed to fuch lengths that countermeasures had to be developed. So, once you start dealing too much damage server lag kicks in with added handicap that abilities are enhanced with chance to activate. This prevents players from dealing too much damage to poor NPCs thus they have a chance to fire back instead of being obliterated within seconds. ;)
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Honestly, Competitive PvE is still a form of PvP and thus frowned upon by Cryptic...the "lag" must be on purpose, their best way to deal with folks doing too much damage. Yes, I've still got a few tinfoil hats around...bought them in bulk. ;)

Doesn't explain why I keep hitting your 'competitive PVE lag' in ESD and not Starbase 24. Better grab a better grade of tinfoil. ;)

My thought is along the lines of an issue of synchronization and a lack of throughout on certain ISPs. But its a vaguely educated guess.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I seem to recall some weeks ago a dev post saying that the HUD now "refreshes" more often or something like that.

I'm guessing that if that is happening together with a higher number of clicky abilities, traits, passive skills etc then the server load will be massively increased.

Add in all the space spam like AOE, FAW, torp spreads and a million other things and you've got a recipe for massive lag.

I've noticed it most in Fleet Alert and ISA but it seems to be quite prevalent all over the place to be honest.

The lag doesn't affect everyone because we're not all on one server, we're spread across a number in a farm so there;s possibly some lucky people who are on the good side whilst a lot of us are stuck in lag central.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the vids. Add one more voice hoping someone in power takes note and can make a change.
  • Options
    nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    holofrog wrote: »
    I have Lag around the clock: in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening and in the night (CET).

If it's not so bad rubberbanding, I have a lot of missfire. Look at your abilities, when you got the CD but not the buff.

The Lag on Tribble is better now. A few weeks ago, it was the same Lag like on Holodeck. But they made changes to Traits and other stuff and it became better. So, I have still hope for Holodeck, but I'm not sure how much patience I have left for Cryptic to fix that issue. We have it for months now!

I usually get it around the clock too. Last night was very slow and thus we had a few successful runs. But the point I was trying to make is traffic is playing a part in this as well. Maybe enough people got fed up and logged out, maybe it was a lack of activity, maybe the planets were aligned... but there's an underlying issue that goes beyond just traits and power creep. It was a very narrow window and as soon as 6am rolled around and more people started grouping and getting active it went to TRIBBLE fast.

In either event I will go with whatever gets Cryptic looking into the problem so we can get a fix. More details are always helpful :D.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The lag is a serious issue guys. ST:O is the only game where I experience this. It jsut seems all the added powers/abilities/traits etc are just hammering the server. Again, it seems there are so many "state" calls the the server has to check for certain powers to work (20% chance for x if Y happens, etc) servers are starting to choke.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    in the latest Priority 1 ep here; cookie asks Geko about the lag at aprox 1:09:40.

His reply was that he doesn't know anything about it because it's not his department. He wouldn't even understand the problem if he listened in on the conversation about the issues. He has seen some lag but not at the severity some of us have suffered through.

However, after being pressed on the subject by cookie, he did say that it is a problem with the hardware, with the server farm in Boston, and with some things that need to have their performance enhanced. He also said that it was being worked on by the Engineering and Network Operations departments with the highest priority. It is an issue that is "Well know", "There are gremlins in the system, they are aware of it and working on it".
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I've still got a few tinfoil hats around...bought them in bulk.
    Tinfoil hats? You need to upgrade to a tinfoil hoodie.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    His reply was that he doesn't know anything about it because it's not his department.

Typical cryptic excuse. Well, to be fair, Geko doesn't seem to know anything about the game. That's why DR and everthing since DR is as terrible as it is.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "There are gremlins in the system, they are aware of it and working on it".

Those gremlins are becoming full sized ogres, now.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    in the latest Priority 1 ep here; cookie asks Geko about the lag at aprox 1:09:40.

His reply was that he doesn't know anything about it because it's not his department. He wouldn't even understand the problem if he listened in on the conversation about the issues. He has seen some lag but not at the severity some of us have suffered through.

However, after being pressed on the subject by cookie, he did say that it is a problem with the hardware, with the server farm in Boston, and with some things that need to have their performance enhanced. He also said that it was being worked on by the Engineering and Network Operations departments with the highest priority. It is an issue that is "Well know", "There are gremlins in the system, they are aware of it and working on it".

So... he does know about it, or he doesn't know? After claiming to not know, since it's not his department, he has a seemingly knowledgeable answer about what it is and what's being doing about it.

I mean, shouldn't he know? Isn't he one of the (if not the) highest ranking people at Cryptic involved with STO? It's one of the largest issues plaguing the game right now, making it unplayable for a large number, and driving others away. Say what you want about the issues DR brought about, the lag is an immediate and pressing issue that needs to get fixed ASAP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    So... he does know about it, or he doesn't know? After claiming to not know, since it's not his department, he has a seemingly knowledgeable answer about what it is and what's being doing about it.

I mean, shouldn't he know? Isn't he one of the (if not the) highest ranking people at Cryptic involved with STO? It's one of the largest issues plaguing the game right now, making it unplayable for a large number, and driving others away. Say what you want about the issues DR brought about, the lag is an immediate and pressing issue that needs to get fixed ASAP.

Lets be fair; something like this it should be the EP who steps up and updates the community.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    A more official announcement would definitely go a long way.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, Geko doesn't seem to know anything about the game.

truer words have never been spoken
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »

To play the devil's advocate; he probably has upper management breathing down his neck to not discuss anything 'negative' about the game.

I have never seen an mmo as badly run by upper management as this.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One of those locker room things...don't badmouth other members of the team to the public, etc, etc, etc. So it turns into the..."not my area"..."they are aware"..."they've got top folks on it"...sort of thing.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Typical cryptic excuse. Well, to be fair, Geko doesn't seem to know anything about the game. That's why DR and everthing since DR is as terrible as it is.

Agreed on that. Listening to priority one pod cast and having him talk about the removing of some PVEs does not quiet restore confidence.

They have already thrown out NWS because it has become too easy. I don’t recall ISA being any harder so we are just looking at one option for him to deal with current lag problems on that map.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And so the lag continues clean through the night. Now I'm getting full 1sec stutters in solo missions. STFs and group missions are a complete write off.

Gonna keep this going until its fixed.