test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Crash at Start up.

The game constantly crashes at starting up the game, as soon as I hit Engage, it goes into the loading screen, showing Cryptic, then going to the second loading screen before it would normally go to the character select screen, the game crashes to the desktop saying that my video driver crashed. Is there a way to fix this?
Post edited by silverreyvatiel on

Comments

• Options
    damorihno2014damorihno2014 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is there a way to fix this?

Hi, I have this same problem at the moment. None of these have worked for me as I supspect my graphics card is just too old, but they may work for you.

In the launcher. Click 'Options'. Check 'Force Verify' and 'Safe Mode'. This will take longer to launch, as it will verify all game files, and will launch in safe mode. If you use Steam, you can then try Steam to verify the files integrity.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, just ask.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The game constantly crashes at starting up the game, as soon as I hit Engage, it goes into the loading screen, showing Cryptic, then going to the second loading screen before it would normally go to the character select screen, the game crashes to the desktop saying that my video driver crashed. Is there a way to fix this?

If you have ARC, ARC and STO don't get along. As the game launcher starts, the two systems apparently fight with each other and lock up the drivers. It's Cryptic's end, not ours -- I've already done the driver switcheroo and it did absolutely no good. This was true prior to season 10, starting (I believe) with season 7 but progressively becoming worse with each season launch.

I suggest something which may be a little drastic, but it is the only way that some players can enter the game.

Launch your "Windows Task Manager" and select the "Processes" tab.

Initiate ARC.

When the ARC window starts up, click the "PLAY" button. DO NOT PRESS "ENGAGE" AT THIS TIME!
    Instead, click "Arc.exe" to highlight it on Task Manager's "Processes" tab.

Somewhere on the Windows Task Manager window (bottom right for me), the button "End Process" will become accessible. Good, but do not press it yet.

Press the game launcher's "ENGAGE" button and then quickly press the "End Process" button on the Task Manager (plus a pop-up window and second "End Process" button) just as the Star Trek Online game window initializes. Because ARC will be shut down just as STO comes up, the drivers won't lockup.

I hope this works for you and many other players, just as it has for many of us.
  • Options
    silverreyvatielsilverreyvatiel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I use Steam. Sorry for not mentioning that. Thanks for the help, those who replied.
  • Options
    jjw44883jjw44883 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tried that but it doesn't work....tried closing all arc processes still same result from loading cryptic game launcher, even tried launching from game client same results.....worked fine prior to the launch of season 10
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jjw44883 wrote: »
    tried that but it doesn't work....tried closing all arc processes still same result from loading cryptic game launcher, even tried launching from game client same results.....worked fine prior to the launch of season 10

Have you tried launching the game straight from the game files? Optimally, a short-cut would work. But if a short-cut from desktop does not work (or you don't have a short-cut), try this:

Go to your "Local Disk" drive which houses the game. Usually, that is C.

Open the "Program Files" folder and then open the "Perfect World Entertainment" folder as well.

You should see a folder named "Star Trek Online_en" (en for English, so other languages might be a little different). Open it.

Look for a file with the STO logo, followed by the name "Star Trek Online". When you open it, it will act like a short-cut and start the game-launcher window.

At this point, I had to enter my password and press the "ENGAGE" button. Although different then when I use ARC, it still launched for me, just fine!

P.S. If you don't have a short-cut on your desktop, right-click the "Star Trek Online" file with the STO icon, hover over "Send to" and select from the new window, next to the arrow, "Desktop (create shortcut)".
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I have a short cut for the game laucher and game client on my desktop neither work nor does the arc laucher
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jjw44883 wrote: »
    I have a short cut for the game laucher and game client on my desktop neither work nor does the arc laucher

Did you try from inside the program files? I am wondering if the launch without ARC, a short-cut, or anything but the program itself might help?

Are you getting the crash to desktop when the character roster window deploys? Or does it crash elsewhere?
  • Options
    junnhorde1junnhorde1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can get in the game but as soon as I try to go into the Sol System to go to ESD I crash to desktop. Same if I try to log into my characters that are now trapped there.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    junnhorde1 wrote: »
    I can get in the game but as soon as I try to go into the Sol System to go to ESD I crash to desktop. Same if I try to log into my characters that are now trapped there.

That's a new problem that I have not heard, until now. At first blush, without knowing your computer system, I would hope that your RAM (Random Access Memory) is being overtaxed. (I hope it is a memory problem because, if it is a Cryptic bug, there's little that we can do.) Open up "Windows Task Manager" and check your "Memory" usage and "Physical Memory Usage History" windows. If they are approaching maximum (even 80 percent) when in the game, shut down all non-essential programs, windows, and behind-the-scenes processes that you do not need. Bloatware might also be at play, using up resources; lots of online research material is available to help, if that is the case. And perhaps a RAM upgrade might help, long-term, but don't spend any money if that really is not the problem.

I hope these suggestions help or inspire you to figure out something better.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    for me it crashes once the season 10 pops up....i dont even get to the toon selection page i have 4gb of ram and had no problem prior to the launch of season 10
  • Options
    junnhorde1junnhorde1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Everything was running fine until Friday afternoon when I went to return to ESD for a mission
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's been happening to me, even tried switching to the EU proxy server with no luck
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      xenomaquisxenomaquis Member Posts: 0
      edited April 2015
      iive had the same crash as everyone other, game get to cryptic load screen, with loading bar, it gets to 95% or fully finished and it would crash, ive updated my drivers, varified file, ran it in safe mode, only opened itfrom both sto launcher, and gameclient, in adminstration mode, not been able to load game for4 days now
    • Options
      silverreyvatielsilverreyvatiel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      It works for me now if I run it in safe mode, still the fact that every time I do I need to fix the graphics so they don't look like TRIBBLE each time is kinda annoying, but hey least I can play!
    • Options
      jplatimerjplatimer Member Posts: 54 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Will try safe mode next, but finally got an error message:

"Fatal Error: Unable to initialize on-demand patching and connect to Patch Server: The connection was idle for too long."

I don't have ARC installed on this system, so that isn't the issue.

EDIT: Safe Mode, same problem.
    • Options
      xenomaquisxenomaquis Member Posts: 0
      edited April 2015
      Days after the patch, ive done everything to get it to run, ive updated my drives for video, DX, flash,java, video card drives, i even uninstalled STO and had it redownload, that took most of the day,ive ran it in all the mode settings, ive missed 5 days of game play, can somone get them to fix this,,,i have a dualcore 2x3.32ghz and 8gbs ram, 2ghz raedon card, i do not know how to get into game, missed this weekend event, and by other posts on the forum here, others are in game playing as i type this out.
    • Options
      starbase2012starbase2012 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      my game gets to the cryptic load screen then the bar starts to progress and the game crashes to desktop.
    • Options
      hurricanebaristahurricanebarista Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Have you tried launching the game straight from the game files? Optimally, a short-cut would work. But if a short-cut from desktop does not work (or you don't have a short-cut), try this:

Open the "Program Files" folder and then open the "Perfect World Entertainment" folder as well.

You should see a folder named "Star Trek Online_en" (en for English, so other languages might be a little different). Open it.

Look for a file with the STO logo, followed by the name "Star Trek Online". When you open it, it will act like a short-cut and start the game-launcher window.

At this point, I had to enter my password and press the "ENGAGE" button. Although different then when I use ARC, it still launched for me, just fine!

P.S. If you don't have a short-cut on your desktop, right-click the "Star Trek Online" file with the STO icon, hover over "Send to" and select from the new window, next to the arrow, "Desktop (create shortcut)".

I did as above. The same error occurred.
    • Options
      siriusmusictownsiriusmusictown Member Posts: 108 Arc User
      edited April 2015

This solved most of my CTD problems. I have recently solved more of them (specifically the D3D11 problems by rolling back my graphics card drivers 2 years to 2013. What ever is in the new special sauce for the game and the graphics card was causing my computer to go catatonic. BY going back to before the new feature set existed in my Driver Files, I have mostly smoothed it out. I'm not really missing anything visually, since CTD is no visuals at all.

EDIT: I used the forced verification in the STO Launcher screen. This was recommended from the SUPPORT EMAIL from CRYPTIC tech support. Unfortunately, the game will now no longer launch at all. 2 day is not a gud day:(
    • Options
      lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I'm getting the exact same problem.

Load game from Arc and it gets to the "Iconian War" splash screen then just gets stuck. Leave it long enough and you get a fatal error message and CTD.

FIX:

Launching from a shortcut from the STO folder seems to avoid this issue so definitely something with Arc messing things up.
      SulMatuul.png
    • Options
      lunaryx#1814 lunaryx Member Posts: 12 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1096132270402433&l=3ee39dfab1

This is what I get but no actual CtD. And this is at the Iconian War loading screen. Just sits there doing nothing when this pops up.
      "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." - Unknown
    • Options
      edited April 2015
      After a reinstall i was able to get past the loading screen so far so good.
    • Options
      edited April 2015
      I did however uninstall all my Asus apps and utilities before the reinstall, i understand they can cause issues with sto.
    • Options
      moth12745moth12745 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      well i had, HAD the same login get to loading screen all good then get to the character server load screen and game crashed to desktop, annoyed the **** outta me i have to say, and i apologize for the language, anyway, for some reason this worked well:

after a crash i read somewhere in the notes that direct x got updated in that patch or something so i re installed it, and my game got into the character screen but crashed soon after so! i verified the files then reinstalled directx 10 i believe it was, and that's important by the way, if you done verify the files problems occur and it crashes if you reinstall first then verify problems occur, verify then reinstall directx 10

worked for me hope it works for some of you guys