test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Complaints are not whining

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
Defenders of Cryptic usually think, anyone who complains is usually a whiner or they have nothing better to do.
If something goes wrong with this game, yes I complain but i am not a whiner as some would claim.
I want STO to work well and be successful. To me this game is escapeism from reality and it cheers me up when its working properly and correctly.
If it means more downtime for patches then thats fine, so long as it solves any bug problems.
I am nearly 50, and have been a startrek fan for many years, a game that runs well is a pleasure in my books. I have been an Sto player for 2 or 3 years now roughly.

See this post.

Edited OP and title. Let's keep things cool, folks ~Bluegeek
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree, when it works its great but at the moment :( & it's been like it for months.

I beat you 61.

PS when a 5 year old tells you your game is rubbish because it dont work proper, well what do you say.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh oh oh I got one!

Fanboys of cryptic usually think that mint chocolate chip ice cream is awesome. But they are wrong.

Fanboys of cryptic think it is a good idea to turn right on a red under all circumstances, but it isn't
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trouble is in my experience the people who complain on this forum mostly whine whether something is actually going wrong or not...this does not preclude that there are things going wrong.....but when you complain all the time it all becomes white noise

the semi-recent boff revamp could arguably be one of the best things to happen to the game in a long while and there were plenty of forum posts whining about it for weeks on end
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Fanboys of cryptic like putting ketchup on eggs and that is wrong.

Fanboys of cryptic pronounce nuclear; nu cu leer.

Fanboys of cryptic use the utensils inwards first rather than outwards.
  • Options
    matthian1701matthian1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People who like a game and hang out on that game's forum talking about how much they like the game: fanboy, paid shills, secretly company employees

People who hate a game and hang out on that game's forum talking about how much they hate the game: cool dudes, smartest people there, intelligent users of time
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    <im entited to carry my bias opinion and everyone else can take a flying..

while im at it i will ignore the forum rules by starting a flame war>

suit yourself. i think im gonna watch and see what comes of it, but thats all im gonna write.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    the semi-recent boff revamp could arguably be one of the best things to happen to the game in a long while and there were plenty of forum posts whining about it for weeks on end

The boff revamp and the R&D revamp are the bright spots as far as things that have changed the last 12 months, although both came with a lot of bugs that took months to fix like the loadout issues, and the lack of mods appearing in R&D. There are still bugs in R&D mods, specially those two PvP ones.

I'm happy they're trying to improve things, but the bugs in this game just seem to keep piling up each season, and nothing is done to put a temporary break in the endless development to lower them.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm having a difficult time getting past the title of the thread...

...cause uh, no they don't. ;)
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Honestly, I have a hard time taking seriously, anyone who spends their time whining about/deriding people as "fanboys."

Generally means that they have the exact same mindset that they're complaining about, just on the other side of the spectrum.
  • Options
    sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think this thread should be closed... it serves no purpose whatsoever....
  • Options
    rancidmojorancidmojo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Agreed. (10 char)
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any change made in the last five years is OP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

The OP is stating that it is possible to raise concerns about the game without the need to be labeled as somebody that is a whiner.
  • Options
    eigthballereigthballer Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It serves to show people's colors :)

If you feel offended/upset by a post against fanboys

If you feel the need to argue against the existence of fanboys,

If you feel concerned and need to disclose you are NOT a fanboy,

Thane there is no doubt friend, you are a fanboy. The whole 'whiners' vs 'fanboys' distinction is for immature people who need to make an emotional issue out of a GAME. It is a fun game otherwise we would not be here, it is not perfect because no human creation ever is, so let's point out what we don't like because it might help the developers make it better, and let's point what we do like so they keep it and because people make a better job if they get praise for good results.

If some troll start talking about fanboys why would you be concerned? you know your are not one.

If someone complains about the game, well let them, it's a free internet; and if they start insulting well there are civility rules in the forum, and they will be dealt with. No need to call them whiners and start a flaming war.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can tell you one thing for sure. This thread is probably not going to go well.

People here don't like being told what they think. Whether or not the statement is accurate. People are contrary that way.

But let's see if we can steer the conversation to be more productive than I expect, eh?

A lot of people would probably characterize me as a "Cryptic Fanboy". But I certainly do not view all complaints as "whining". Even some of the more... passionate complaints can have their place as long as they're not being abusive or making statements which are unfair or inaccurate.

Stuff that's debatable, stuff that's subjective, people are allowed to express their own opinions. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and not get too upset that people don't agree with us.

Downtime is downtime. Holodeck has a regularly scheduled day of the week for maintenance and by now everyone should be familiar with it. It takes as long as it takes, but it's usually 2-3 hours. Speaking as someone who has been directly involved in maintaining other servers for other kinds of companies, you can't always predict how a change is going to go. You do whatever it takes to get it back online as soon as reasonably possible.

Emergency maintenance is a bummer and Cryptic tries to avoid it if they can. Even fixes for serious bugs can be put off until the next scheduled patch day, in many cases, as long as they don't impact a large set of players.

The difference between a game server and everybody else on the planet is that game engine code for any game is rarely ever rolled back to a previous version. I don't think people properly appreciate what kind of effort goes into making sure they don't have to do that. In this industry it's "fix or die".
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    For te record I do think the new queues are overnerfed on ADVANCED. They feel impossibly harder than other advanced queues. They are even harder than undine assault, and that one is so unbalanced even in Public.Elite nobody does them anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    /snip

Stuff that's debatable, stuff that's subjective, people are allowed to express their own opinions. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and not get too upset that people don't agree with us.

/snip

There tends to be a high incidence of claims of trolling if Tom doesn't agree with Jerry...even if Tom's just expressing his opinion that happens to disagree in some fashion with what Jerry feels.

Quite a few folks will get called whiners for bringing up something for the first time (their first time, that is) regardless of how they bring it up - if it something that has been brought by others in a manner that might have come across as whining. So they get hit with the guilt by association thing with their opinion dismissed. (Meh, I've gotten frustrated at times with other folks and made this mistake with somebody that didn't quite deserve the brunt of what I said in reply - er - not that I should ever be replying with something that would involve any brunt...er...ahem.)

At times, the previous can also lead to misunderstandings of what folks have actually said - certain trigger words - the person stops reading and just assumes that the other person is saying something other than they are...can end up quite the frustrating situation for the person going through to reiterate what they were saying as opposed to what the person thought they said cause they didn't bother reading what the person actually said.

It's odd at times, how one might even have to go the extra step of specifically pointing out that one is not looking to argue and they're just stating their opinion which might not agree with another opinion shared. Tom prefers apples. Jerry prefers oranges. Jerry preferring oranges isn't an attack on Tom preferring apples...but how many times do arguments erupt from that, eh?

I'm guessing the OP shared some concerns...or over a period of time has shared some concerns...with the result being called a whiner by folks he in turn called fanboys. Frustration builds...but yeah, in the end - different folks, different things, yadda-yadda-yadda. It's one thing, imho, to argue for - it's odd how much tends to be argue with instead...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek,

See what I mean? why do you feel the need to apologize for Cryptic? they are a company, they are supposed to do whatever makes their costumers happy. If they do great, if they don't that is THEIR problem let their PR deal with it. As costumer, by all means voice YOUR concerns/satisfaction but why do you need to address other costumer's concerns?

Like I said, if you fear you might be labeled a fanboy, then you might be one.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hmmmm.. Well I havent been exactly a fan of PWE or cryptic.. I LOVE STO, best MMO ever period. (technical tomfoolery aside ofc.) not exactly a fanboy of anyone but we need give credit where its due.. Se 10: MAJOR update and relatively smooth launch IMHO
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek,

See what I mean? why do you feel the need to apologize for Cryptic? they are a company, they are supposed to do whatever makes their costumers happy. If they do great, if they don't that is THEIR problem let their PR deal with it. As costumer, by all means voice YOUR concerns/satisfaction but why do you need to address other costumer's concerns?

Companies not supposed to be there to make people happy? That would be a great Disney film but it isn't true.

What made you think that?

They are there to make as much money as legally possible for their stakeholders.
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Honestly, I have a hard time taking seriously, anyone who spends their time whining about/deriding people as "fanboys."

Generally means that they have the exact same mindset that they're complaining about, just on the other side of the spectrum.

QFT.

/thread
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    At times, the previous can also lead to misunderstandings of what folks have actually said - certain trigger words - the person stops reading and just assumes that the other person is saying something other than they are

Trigger words like 'fanboy' and 'whiner' cause a lot of the problems on the forums.

I know people are just trying to express what's on their minds and they can't help generalizing to some degree. The human mind tends to label things in order to make sense of them. But sometimes we should leave those labels in our heads and not commit them to speech or writing.

And sometimes the intent is actually hurtful, though I don't believe that was the OP's intent. It's just an expression of frustration. The post itself was actually reasonable. It was those darn trigger words that stir things up.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    Companies not supposed to be there to make people happy? That would be a great Disney film but it isn't true.

They are there to make as much money as legally possible for their stakeholders.

Yessireebob. The fact that making people happy and making money occasionally line up is more of a fluke than anything else.

If a company makes more money by selling an inferior service than they would investing in making the service better, they are legally required to sell the inferior service, unless other legal or contractual obligations are in place. Why do you think so many people get crappy service from their ISPs?

On topic, Cryptic Fanboys be all like "I'm all about that starbase, 'bout that base, no tribbles."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek,

I think you're reading something into my post I never said.

Apologize for Cryptic? Totally not my job. That's Trendy's job :D

Express my own opinions based on my life experience? Imparting insights based on that experience? Yep.

Trying in vain to defuse a blooming argument before it really gets going? Yep. That IS my (unpaid) job.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek,

A slight logical fallacy here: they are -not- supposed to do whatever makes their customers happy, across a population this size there will never be a consensus on what that is. They are a for-profit company, they are supposed to do whatever they can to turn said profit. That should -include- making as many of their customers happy as possible but it isn't priority #1.
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This Fanboy talk is similar to a guy we had in our Fleet.

He asked me one time if my 14 old daughter was asking for sex when she wore short skirts.

Often asked questions that were really just insulting statements.

Walked that thin border with words that have two meanings, implying it one way and really meaning to insult.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kintisho wrote: »
    hmmmm.. Well I havent been exactly a fan of PWE or cryptic.. I LOVE STO, best MMO ever period. (technical tomfoolery aside ofc.) not exactly a fanboy of anyone but we need give credit where its due.. Se 10: MAJOR update and relatively smooth launch IMHO

LOL.
    I wonder what criteria you used to come to that conclusion, best Star Trek MMO?
    And the players love it?

I liked some changes, disliked others. I loved some, and I hated some. It's a shame I can ventilate only two of those opinions without the usual suspects arriving making the same strawman arguments over and over, or the even worse kind, those that suffer from F2P Stockholm syndrome.

Ah well, it's been like this for a while and it's not likely to change.

Perhaps some people should consider that constructive criticism can be a helpfull attribute for the dev's, instead of attacking the "right" (lol) to criticise a "free"(lol) game. You know, if the dev's wouldn't want us to name things we dislike, they could just not allow it under the forum rules. They're all big boys and girls, they don't need you to shield their eyes.

Incoming arguments why I am super out of line saying this in:
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    chalpen wrote: »

No, that is exactly what I meant. companies exist to make money. In order to make money they need paying customers. In order to attract/retain paying customers, they need to keep them satisfied about the services/good they are providing, AKA "happy".
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No, that is exactly what I meant. companies exist to make money. In order to make money they need paying customers. In order to attract/retain paying customers, they need to keep them satisfied about the services/good they are providing, AKA "happy".

No. They could also sell it cheaper than anyone else with less quality.
    You think Walmart makes people happy? They make boatloads of money by selling lots of junk cheaply.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    Fanboys of Cryptic usually think, anyone who complains is usually a whiner or they have nothing better to do.
    If something goes wrong with this game, yes I complain but i am not a whiner as some fanboys would claim.
    I want STO to work well and be successful. To me this game is escapeism from reality and it cheers me up when its working properly and correctly.
    If it means more downtime for patches then thats fine, so long as it solves any bug problems.
    I am nearly 50, and have been a startrek fan for many years, a game that runs well is a pleasure in my books. I have been an Sto player for 2 or 3 years now roughly.

See this post. ~Bluegeek

STuart, Useage of "Fanboy" and 'whiner" is just labels placed on others to make sense of the world presented to that person.

Me, if people use such terminolgy, I normally try to ignore the negative connotation and try to percieve why they think that of me. If I see what they are getting at, I change tactics. If I don't, I usually try and get them to explain why they think that. If I can get a reasonable response, then I work with it. If I don't, I tend to start ignoreing posts from that person.

STO has always been working well for me. I normally do not see the lags, log in issues or mission failures that others report. I normally never make any remarks about it either. Mainly because I think it's impolite to try and invalidate their experience. It's their experiance, so I can't really change that. But when I do encounter things I think are bad, I try to calmly and politely talking about it here on the forums. I have not always maintained that calmness, but I try.

I would suggest trying out some of the things I do when dealing with people that start using such terminology. But I wouldn't let it bother you. You know know who you are, why would it matter what they think who you are? It's easy for me to be this way, I know not everyone can do this as easily as me. But trying might help...
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
This discussion has been closed.