Install Arc
Options

Complaints are not whining

2»

Comments

• Options
    eigthballereigthballer Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A slight logical fallacy here: they are -not- supposed to do whatever makes their customers happy, across a population this size there will never be a consensus on what that is. They are a for-profit company, they are supposed to do whatever they can to turn said profit. That should -include- making as many of their customers happy as possible but it isn't priority #1.

No fallacy here, just commercial thinking. Happy customers remain and return, and they spread the word. Unhappy cutomers go to another company. Of course you cannot keep all customers satisfied all the time but maximizing customer satisfaction is critical to gain and retain market share.

Of course I was not implying that companies act out of goodwill to provide customer happiness. I wasn't born yesterday.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No, that is exactly what I meant. companies exist to make money. In order to make money they need paying customers. In order to attract/retain paying customers, they need to keep them satisfied about the services/good they are providing, AKA "happy".

Andrew likes blueberry yogurt.
    Beth likes pineapple yogurt.
    Chuck likes plain yogurt.
    Daphne likes black cherry yogurt.
    Eddie likes raspberry yogurt.
    Faith likes banana cream pie yogurt.
    George likes any kind of yogurt.
    Heidi hates all yogurt.
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    No. They could also sell it cheaper than anyone else with less quality.
    You think Walmart makes people happy? They make boatloads of money by selling lots of junk cheaply.

However Walmart does make people happy, perhaps you just aren't part of their target audience?
    The value of a service or good exists an absolute, but also as a relative, i.e. compared to other companies, do I get more or less service/goods for my money. Aside from that I'm wondering where you are taking this analogy, are you comparing STO to wallmart? Selling lots of junk cheaply?

In light of the topic start, god help you.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    LOL.
    I wonder what criteria you used to come to that conclusion, best Star Trek MMO?
    And the players love it?

See, this is what I'm talking about. People are allowed to have opinions that other people don't share. There's no need -- or point -- in challenging that.

If we want to get nitpicky, it's the only Star Trek MMORPG and by definition the best. That doesn't mean everybody loves it.

Perhaps some people should consider that constructive criticism can be a helpfull attribute for the dev's, instead of attacking the "right" (lol) to criticise a "free"(lol) game. You know, if the dev's wouldn't want us to name things we dislike, they could just not allow it under the forum rules. They're all big boys and girls, they don't need you to shield their eyes.

Totally agree. Constructive criticism and even venting frustration have their place.
    Incoming arguments why I am super out of line saying this in:

Not so much what you said, but how you said it. Sort of like the same mistake the OP made. The same mistakes that a lot of posts make.

Heck, the same mistake I've been known to make on rare occasion. ;)
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    eigthballereigthballer Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You think Walmart makes people happy? They make boatloads of money by selling lots of junk cheaply.

Costumer satisfaction is a complex parameter that in fact aggregates multiple factors, including quality AND price. Walmart costumers might be unhappy about quality but they certainly are happy about low prices. Since the pricing satisfaction outweights the quality dissatisfaction they could be considered, on the whole, "happy". Which is why they keep returning to Walmart. When we are talking about discretionary spending, the "it's the only choice" argument is invalid, because there is always the choice of not making any purchases at all. Which is what customers do when they are completely unhappy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    See, this is what I'm talking about. People are allowed to have opinions that other people don't share. There's no need -- or point -- in challenging that.
    If we want to get nitpicky, it's the only Star Trek MMORPG and by definition the best. That doesn't mean everybody loves it.

Totally agree. Constructive criticism and even venting frustration have their place.

Not so much what you said, but how you said it. Sort of like the same mistake the OP made. The same mistakes that a lot of posts make.

Heck, the same mistake I've been known to make on rare occasion. ;)

The reason I chose to highlight it was because he ended it with period, i.e. making a statement and announcing in advance he is not open to any opinion to the contrary. Normally I would just ignore it and go to the heart of the matter, but in light of what I feel the OP is trying to say I chose to nitpick on it to demonstrate a point. Pretty sure you know that that's what I was doing for that matter :P.

And regarding the end, myeah.
    Lonely Orion itching for a fight... I better go get some wine, cheers.
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In regards to 'fanboys' there is a fine line between a sycophant and a realist. Something that I am very vocal about is that there is a need for positive dissent over concern, but only in a civil manner.

For those who are 'fanboys', I ask that you not disregard complaints if they're well founded and civil. Someone is complaining that XP is too low and we need to up it to 5x more what the current rate is otherwise 'Craptic' is giving players a slap in the face? Ok, that's obviously not a reasonable post, so don't go into that and respond in turn with the flamebait that encircles the post.

Someone is suggesting that "I believe Cryptic would benefit from increasing their late game content XP rewards because I feel that they're too low and I'm really encountering a wall at level 55."? That's a reasonable post. Don't go in there and subsequently flame them for not liking the game and that they should get out, or that they don't know what they're talking about. It ruins what can be a really healthy and productive discussion on the leveling curve. No matter what, even if you don't agree, don't flame it. Difference of opinion does not have to be childishly handled.

For those who are not 'fanboys', I ask that you follow the above guidelines. I welcome your concerns, but I need them to be in a digestible manner. I, the developers, and even other players are much more likely to be responsive if threads are not littered with obvious landmines. I hate the word 'Craptic". It's unimaginative and shows that you'd rather prove your point through name-calling rather than giving a good constructive breakdown of what is wrong and how it can be improved. I want to work with you to improve things. I really whole-heartedly do, but civility is the first step to meeting me half-way.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Of course they make me happy. Where else can I go at 3AM, and buy a hot and ready rotisserie Chicken, salad, car wax, and a kayak?
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is a difference. People who state complaints and reasonable requests are one thing.....but others who flame others for liking the content and demanding that cryptic rollback updates because YOU don't like them is another. I support cryptic....do I like everything they have done? no, but I respect them and enjoy the game enough that I can keep playing while planting ideas to the devs when I have their ear.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The trick there is what makes Player A "happy" may not make Player B "happy."

Sometimes the two are mutually exclusive. Sometimes the company must pick between Player A and Player B.

And if catering to Player A is more profitable than catering to Player B, then the company will cater to Player A.

Player B then has a choice:

1. Find something else in the game that will make them "happy."

2. Find another game that does cater to them and makes them "happy."

You don't go to a burger joint and start throwing a hissy fit because they didn't have chicken on the menu.

You don't call the burger joint management idiots for not having chicken on the menu to start.

You don't stand outside the burger joint telling people coming in how much the burgers suck.

You don't snidely call the people who do enjoy the burgers "burger fanboys" just because you didn't want a burger or they didn't want chicken.

The best you can do is suggest they put chicken on the menu. Whether they do or not is up to them.

In the meantime, either order burger or go to the chicken joint down the street.

It really is that simple.

If you stack the deck, you can get a winning hand every time you play.

I like your analogy, but it's overly simplicated. What if that burger joint had a chef that one day said, let's replace our beef and make all our burgers vegetarian. What if I really liked beef, dislike vegetables, but still love the burgerjoint because I have fond memories of going there for years? Perhap's I'd sit there and tell the waitress each time "I still like beef better".

Saying "get with the program, or get out" never led to an amicable solution. I read trendy's post and liked it, I suggest you do the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In regards to 'fanboys' there is a fine line between a sycophant and a realist. Something that I am very vocal about is that there is a need for positive dissent over concern, but only in a civil manner.

For those who are 'fanboys', I ask that you not disregard complaints if they're well founded and civil. Someone is complaining that XP is too low and we need to up it to 5x more what the current rate is otherwise 'Craptic' is giving players a slap in the face? Ok, that's obviously not a reasonable post, so don't go into that and respond in turn with the flamebait that encircles the post.

Someone is suggesting that "I believe Cryptic would benefit from increasing their late game content XP rewards because I feel that they're too low and I'm really encountering a wall at level 55."? That's a reasonable post. Don't go in there and subsequently flame them for not liking the game and that they should get out, or that they don't know what they're talking about. It ruins what can be a really healthy and productive discussion on the leveling curve. No matter what, even if you don't agree, don't flame it. Difference of opinion does not have to be childishly handled.

For those who are not 'fanboys', I ask that you follow the above guidelines. I welcome your concerns, but I need them to be in a digestible manner. I, the developers, and even other players are much more likely to be responsive if threads are not littered with obvious landmines. I hate the word 'Craptic". It's unimaginative and shows that you'd rather prove your point through name-calling rather than giving a good constructive breakdown of what is wrong and how it can be improved. I want to work with you to improve things. I really whole-heartedly do, but civility is the first step to meeting me half-way.
    Trendy, I just want to say that your intelligence is a refreshing sight on these forums. Keep up the good work as Community manager.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone whining about the new boff revamp, I did see a few threads that actually welcomed this change and praised cryptic for it, even I had to admit it was a good change (trust me I'm not a fan of cryptic).

People seemed to complain more about bridge officers vacating their seats randomly and often, or the power tray icons all scrambled every other map transition. This was a legitimate complaint. If you were one of the person that was unaffected by this bug, well good on you but don't dismiss others that had to suffer through it.

most did welcome the change and yeah there were some legitimate complaints about the boff trays and loss of skills (myself included)....i'm talking about people calling the revamp "a massive dilithium sink" and "just one more cash grab" in regards to the addition of padds.....it was very clear that quite a few posters went out of their way to find whatever flaw they could in an otherwise positive new mechanic....those are the posts I refer to
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The boff revamp and the R&D revamp are the bright spots as far as things that have changed the last 12 months, although both came with a lot of bugs that took months to fix like the loadout issues, and the lack of mods appearing in R&D. There are still bugs in R&D mods, specially those two PvP ones.

I'm happy they're trying to improve things, but the bugs in this game just seem to keep piling up each season, and nothing is done to put a temporary break in the endless development to lower them.

I would be impressed if they took a break to just bug fix. I'd also appreciate it.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    For those who are not 'fanboys', I ask that you follow the above guidelines. I welcome your concerns, but I need them to be in a digestible manner. I, the developers, and even other players are much more likely to be responsive if threads are not littered with obvious landmines..

1) The XP gain could use a boost like the one we got after the first week of delta recruits. It still took me 2 1/2 hours or doing the same thing over and over to get a single spec point, but at least I felt I was getting somewhere. Right now it takes what for me would be a whole day of playing to gain a single spec point, and not in the fun way you'd expect (run different STFs, play some battle zones for a while). You have to do the same thing over and over for hours to get 1 spec point. Ground XP doesn't reward worthwhile XP on top of the fact that people tend to not like it.

2) The R&D boost we currently have is awesome, and it should be the standard for future R&D weekends. Heck, it motivated me to craft level 15 items to speed things up for one school.

3) The doff assignment order should go back to "from least time to most time to completion", the doff assignment log size increased to 23, and the failed assignments should not be turned in automatically.

4) The accolades should be ordered in alphabetical order both in game and in the Gateway. The 4 stuck accolades (new crew x2 fed, new duty officer x2, incursion defender, siege breaker) need to get fixed like the Inspired one. FYI, everyone that had the sector defense accolades in progress now has them stuck with S10.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    1) The XP gain could use a boost like the one we got after the first week of delta recruits. It still took me 2 1/2 hours or doing the same thing over and over to get a single spec point, but at least I felt I was getting somewhere. Right now it takes what for me would be a whole day of playing to gain a single spec point, and not in the fun way you'd expect (run different STFs, play some battle zones for a while). You have to do the same thing over and over for hours to get 1 spec point. Ground XP doesn't reward worthwhile XP on top of the fact that people tend to not like it.

2) The R&D boost we currently have is awesome, and it should be the standard for future R&D weekends. Heck, it motivated me to craft level 15 items to speed things up for one school.

3) The doff assignment order should go back to "from least time to most time to completion", the doff assignment log size increased to 23, and the failed assignments should not be turned in automatically.

4) The accolades should be ordered in alphabetical order both in game and in the Gateway. The 4 stuck accolades (new crew x2 fed, new duty officer x2, incursion defender, siege breaker) need to get fixed like the Inspired one. FYI, everyone that had the sector defense accolades in progress now has them stuck with S10.
    Thank you! I really appreciate feedback like this. The only thing I'd be hesitant to say are sweeping statements such as "that people tend not to like it" with regards to ground combat. Not because it may be true or untrue, but because it helps it be a more focus on the problem, rather than the sentiment.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Trendy, I just want to say that your intelligence is a refreshing sight on these forums. Keep up the good work as Community manager.
    Reported.

/10char
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OP, at 53yo, it has been a very long time since I was anyone's, ahem, "boy". In any fashion or manner. If I choose to compliment the Devs and it ticks you off, this is your problem not mine. I'll keep my own counsel on what I say and what I think, thank you very much. I will allow you the same courtesy. I have an opinion about you but I'll not post it here. Doing so would be considered bad manners and uncivilized

I am unsure where I should be placed in the spectrum. There are some things which I like a great deal about STO. There are some others where I really wish they had done things differently. The things I like I play. The things I do not like, I do not.

Most of the time, whenever a thread like this pops up, I get all indignant and righteously outraged. I type furiously for about five minutes or so, creating a wall of text which even I have trouble staying awake through while reading.

Then, instead of pressing <Reply>, I press <Delete>. And immediately feel better due to the cathartic release such activity brings.

If someone thinks I am a fanboy or a whiner, again, it is their problem, not mine. And I needn't concern myself with the thought they've allowed a not very good video game to overtake their life to the point where it ruins their whole day. This I find highly amusing as I head out the door on my way to Real Life.

One Last Thing: Props to Trendy and Bluegeek for posting in this thread. 'Bout time, too. You guys aren't just moderator and manager IMV, you're Community members too. With as much right to express an opinion here as anyone else.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    My thoughts on this topic

If I think its good I call it good and why I think its good

If think its bad I call it bad and explain why I think its bad

I do this in the hopes it may been seen by someone at cryptic and they might take notice and take heart or look at my claims to determine if there is something really out of place

I am one of the elite when it comes to being a star trek fan..........just love it

fanboys ? I prefer calling them the CDF cryptic defense force...while I left being a boy behind many decades ago many hate the term being used to describe others as I do

When a person has no counter argument in a debate the term whiner is used..Nuff said

Those are my thoughts
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the semi-recent boff revamp could arguably be one of the best things to happen to the game in a long while and there were plenty of forum posts whining about it for weeks on end
    It's currently a near-disaster, with boffs dropping their seating regularly.

How long do you want to give them to fix it? They've had months already. I'm sure it leaves a terrible impression, in a game I know is eclipsed by its competitors.

If it wasn't for the IP, this game would already be shut down. Because of the IP, I still play. And, despite whatever complaints I may make or whining I may do, I recognize that I have a higher tolerance for bugs and other issues than the average player.

As for feedback, whether its complaining or whining, I would expect a professional to be able to wade through the ****.

On the other hand, I need to confirm tonight whether the feedback I provided on the sector space AI pathing was heard and responded to. If my suggestion was adopted, within two or three days of suggesting it at that, I owe them thanks for it.
    I disagree. For some issues, it is true. For other issues, only turning the QQ volume up to 11 will convince the devs to go against their original design intent, or alternatively, convince your employers to allow Cryptic's devs to go against the original design intent.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    suit yourself. i think im gonna watch and see what comes of it, but thats all im gonna write.

lol edit comments all you like, his intention is clear and from what I can tell hes just miffed like so many of us, which isn't a "whiney" position. but he is right about one thing a lot of the people here tend to ignore the obvious problems and then belittle or flame whomever is giving cryptic negative feedback as a result people respond in kind and then the war begins, but yeah it needs to stop on both sides, we wont get anywhere with non-constructive posts lol

lol the fact you edited his comment to begin with is "provocative" in itself so you aren't exactly helping either.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I disagree. For some issues, it is true. For other issues, only turning the QQ volume up to 11 will convince the devs to go against their original design intent
    No.

This right here. In no way will I tolerate the allowance of uncivil responses that are flameworthy and 'turning the QQ volume up to 11' to dictate the conversation. It is an extremely slippery slope that leads to people justifying actions that suffer the process and those in the line of fire for what someone deems necessary. In no way will the ends justify the means with regards to flaming.

If you can't prove your point through a civil means, then you need to look at how you're presenting your information. If you can't keep it within Star Trek Online's Community Rules and Policies, reassess your communication structure.
This discussion has been closed.