Install Arc
Options

Taco's Sector Space FAQ

Comments

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,519 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    [sarcasm]
    "I refuse to play this game because Sol isn't in the Alpha quadrant and it ruins my immersion!!!
    [/sarcasm]
    :rolleyes:

I love the game, and thank Taco for the post...
    :thumbup:
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was impressed on Tribble by the fact that a nod was even given to scientific accuracy. (For instance, 40 Eridani, the Vulcan system, is a trinary system, with a pair of stars orbiting one another in a mutual distant orbit around 40 Eridani A. When you approach Vulcan, the graphic actually shows all three stars.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You could add an entrance to the Sol system on the edge of the Beta quadrant to emphasize its position on the border.

If it was right on the edge, you couldn't fly through the entire system. Others suggested putting the system in both quadrants, but that'd just be so weird with all the effort that went into giving sector blocks a set size in lightyears.
  • Options
    hagar3hagar3 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank you so much for this...now i shall be able to avoid asking these questions and can pass this info on to those who do ask
    In case no one can hear you...scream
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank you, and everyone else in the art department for the hard work. I have not checked out the new missions, or queues, but I am sure they will have awesome artwork in them as well.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    captainfelidaecaptainfelidae Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Q: Why is Sol in the Beta Quadrant? (or, "Janeway never said she was going to the Beta Quadrant!")

A: Iconians

Q: Why is Vega/Galorndon Core/Gamma Eridon (Or a handful of other systems) not in it's rightful place?

A: Iconians?

Q: Why are Cestus and the Mutara Nebula not in their proper places?

A: Iconians!

Q: Why is Nimbus all the way up there?

A: ICONIANS

Q: Why didn't you include Cait/Organia/(Insert favorite system)?

A: ICONIANSSSSSSS

Q: X System looks wrong/has the wrong number of planets/is missing an asteroid belt/etc.
    (I know, that's a statement, not a question)

A: Planet Killer migration.
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nice work, must off been a bit of a headache doing this project.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited April 2015
    Player: "It's all the Iconians' fault!"
    Iconian: "Ahem. Really. I have enough trouble with Q. And Guinan ... that troublesome imp." (smiles evilly) "Since I wiped out the Klingon Council, surely wiping you and your fellow players out shouldn't be too terribly difficult. Shall I begin with you?"
    Player: "I ... ah ... um ... I'm outta here!"
    (Player flees; Q appears and sighs)
    Q to Iconian: "Come now. Even *I* didn't treat them that badly. They're only human, after all."
    Iconian to Q: "Hrmph. Meet me in my ready room."
    (they instantly appear there)
    Q: "Anywhere else in the universe you would like to meet?"
    Iconian: "This will do."
    (Guinan appears) "Mind if I join in?"
    Q: "As if we have a choice in the matter?"
    Guinan: "Good. I'm glad we understand one another. Now, then. What were you two discussing?"

(to be con't)
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Only one thing, Earth has always been in the Alpha quadrant as established.

But it's a good list that hopefully most people will pay attention to.

It is in both Quadrants.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh dear, they've even gone as far to state in mission text that Sol is in the Beta quadrant... :rolleyes:

Well they had to or you would not find it :P
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm currently parked in the Omar system, just watching the two stars have solar activity. This is freaking awesome!

Well done to the Art Department! Say what you want about this game, the visuals constantly deliver!

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *waves "Taco iz #1" giant foam hand*

And, I know you didn't do all that alone, so big thanks to everyone on the team. This was my favorite thing about my recent tribble visits. So glad its finally live.
  • Options
    picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm truely stunned at the religious level of commitment necessary to avoid comon sense in the map. Star trek star charts is ludicrous. Giving it precidence over the TV shows is just ludicrous.

Every show in TNG, DS9, and Voyager puts all the federation and the Klingons and the Romulans, and everything we see that isn't over the wormhole or in the Delta quadrant in a place called the "alpha quadrant". Only one episode in TOS refers to the beta quadrant, at a time when science fiction writers generally refered to quadrants as subdivisions of sectors and not of the galaxy, and is the singular reason that early star trek maps included a beta quadrant.

Yet this mistake is given the highest priority in all game rationalizations of the universe, with the nonsensical result that we routinely cruise around an area of space that is big enough to provide Janeway's seventy year journey many times over... and that all the dialogue in the shows is rendered invalid.

Well, it's not the shows that become invalid... it's STO. What a needless joke on the player base.
    :P

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm truely stunned at the religious level of commitment necessary to avoid comon sense in the map. Star trek star charts is ludicrous. Giving it precidence over the TV shows is just ludicrous.

Every show in TNG, DS9, and Voyager puts all the federation and the Klingons and the Romulans, and everything we see that isn't over the wormhole or in the Delta quadrant in a place called the "alpha quadrant". Only one episode in TOS refers to the beta quadrant, at a time when science fiction writers generally refered to quadrants as subdivisions of sectors and not of the galaxy, and is the singular reason that early star trek maps included a beta quadrant.

Yet this mistake is given the highest priority in all game rationalizations of the universe, with the nonsensical result that we routinely cruise around an area of space that is big enough to provide Janeway's seventy year journey many times over... and that all the dialogue in the shows is rendered invalid.

Well, it's not the shows that become invalid... it's STO. What a needless joke on the player base.
    :P

Sigh..

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Quadrant
    Furthermore, according to the Encyclopedia, Earth marks the border between Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The display graphic on a PADD in Star Trek: Insurrection would seem to confirm this. [1] [2] Dialogue in Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine however firmly establish that Earth is located on the Alpha Quadrant side of the border.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beta_Quadrant
    Qo'noS, the Klingon homeworld, was located in the Beta Quadrant. (Star Trek Into Darkness, display graphic) The Klingon Empire and the Romulan Star Empire claimed territory in the Beta Quadrant in the 24th century. (Star Trek: Insurrection, display graphic)

So, sto uses the charts and insurrection's side in a conflict with voyager and ds9. There's canon on both sides of the argument,that you PREFER one over the other doesn't make the other view wrong, it just means you have an opinion.

Your statements about the Klingons and romulans, however,are wrong. They are referred to as alpha quadrant powers, yes, but they have territory in both. And the Klingon capital is definitely beta side.

Its not every show, and its not TNG. Only voyager and ds9. In tos and TNG they still used "quadrant" semi interchangeably with "sector"
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lets just say that galactic drift causes Earth to alternate between the two quadrants, since it's so close to the border.

Can't be less plausible than ST:V.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just want to say Thank You, Tacofangs, for getting Cestus roughly where it should be instead of on the far side of Romulan space with the rest of the former Gamma Orionis sector block.

You and the rest of the art department did an awesome job with all of this.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love new maps...although my cruiser looks tiny now... :D

Only issue I have till now is the Auto Pilot, at some cases drives me directly through a system's sun, (not trying to avoid it like does with ships) and on my 1st route to Sol drove me again into the sun and didnt stop...just kept flying till i got to the quadrant border... :rolleyes:
    Dont know if anyone else has that issue too..
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    georgedp wrote: »
    I love new maps...although my cruiser looks tiny now... :D

Only issue I have till now is the Auto Pilot, at some cases drives me directly through a system's sun, (not trying to avoid it like does with ships) and on my 1st route to Sol drove me again into the sun and didnt stop...just kept flying till i got to the quadrant border... :rolleyes:
    Dont know if anyone else has that issue too..

Did you trigger slipstream by using the Full Impulse button on the top of the throttle? If you do, it seems to cancel the auto pilot and you'll just fly straight until you crash. Trigger slipstream on the action bar and you'll stop at the right place.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thank you Tacofangs for the work you guys put into this. The new galaxy looks awesome. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well... 6 pages of appreciative comments, about how pretty the new graphics are...

Yes... Very pretty...

Can we have the old system back please?

Where the map wasn't so crowded and cluttered it's hard to find the place you want...

Where the autopilot didn't take you to the star, and shut down too far from the planet to start interactions, assuming you can SEE the right planet past the large and glowy star graphics...

Where you had transwarps to places you went often, rather than alpha beta delta...

Yeah, it's pretty, and no walls, but I waste more time trying to find places and compensating fore the TRIBBLE auto pilots (when they work at all) than I did warping across sector borders.

I cannot begin to explain how much I despise "who cares if we break it, at long as it's pretty" upgrades...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As I said in other thread. Sector revamp is for me the best thing in STO since Romulan expansion. Many thanks Taco for your work. The only dissapointment is information there are no plans for new locations in newly added homeworlds. I know there will be Foundry missions but everytime I tried some Foundry mission I found it very dull (no offence to alll Foundry creeators, maybe I have just bad luck).
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Impressive work Tacofangs and developers, hope to see more. In the diagram of the Milky Way Galaxy in the top left corner, why is there only two colours for the factions?
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We Love YOU Taco!!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Absolutely magnificent! Great work Taco (and everybody who worked on it)! Though I wish you guys had made the Utopia Planetia Mars map available. We didn't have a First Contact Day this year so adding this map permanently would have been a nice surprise. Well, maybe you can do it in the near future.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hooray Tacofangs.

My only question atm is, where do I find commodity freighters which used to be near sol system?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    It is in both Quadrants.

No it's not. I'm afraid you're wrong. It sucks they've had to do this especially as it is the core world in the game.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tacofangs and Devs,

Thanks, people! I like the way it works so far. I intend to go wandering around this weekend to poke my nose into every corner I can. I have always enjoyed games which have Map Editors/Creators for the user, so I can appreciate some of the design and gameplay headaches you guys faced in doing this. Somebody (or bodies, more likely) put some serious time and attention into this.

I realize this game seems to be a W.I.P. more often than not. So I will avoid posting about the insignificant things in this change I don't like.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    O.o hai Taco.
    the red color in your FAQ hurts my eyes, but it was well thought out FAQ. love it :)

please keep up the work!
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like being able to cross sector space without being asked if I really want to go on a dozen times, but I disagree with the decision to place Sol in the Beta Quadrant even it has been there on the old maps as well.

With the new system, wouldn't it be possible to place it on the edge of the Alpha Quadrant and implement a direct warp to sol from the beta quadrant when you fly past vulcan on the edge of the map? Sol has constantly be referred to as "Alpha Quadrant" in the shows, doesn't matter if it was "code" or not. It is a single detail I think could have been handled better as you now have dialogue boxes directly referring to earth/sol in the Beta Quadrant.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou