test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Iconian Resistance Suit: more info and update!

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Captains!

As you might guess, designing the Iconian Resistance Suits wasn’t an easy task. The suits are meant to take on the most powerful enemies players have yet to face in Star Trek Online. And as you know we’ve made quite a few awesome looking suits already and in a game as big, with as many assets as STO has, it’s hard to make each item feel unique, much less keep one-upping each previous ship, item, armor, uniform, weapon, etc. We also know people have widely varying tastes and every asset we make won’t hit that sweet spot for every person.

That said, we actively tried to address many issues players have frequently mentioned with other armor sets and we’re excited about what we accomplished for the Iconian Resistance suit.

I want to share with you more information that may not have been as obvious as we’d hoped in the original posted image as well as mention an additional option based on your recent feedback. Check it out:

http://imgur.com/4FkpKfV,GiCs9ZV,io1F8Tj#0

Further explanation: first, the new option. Something that doesn’t show well in still screenshots is that the red glows actually pulse – so they will fade to nothing and then pulse up slowly and back. It’s a cool effect that makes the metal look hot and/or energized…and powerful. That said, we’ve added an additional version of the suit that does not have the pulsing glows.

Another bonus feature of this armor set is that is works with many ranks for all factions as well as many badges for Fed. We know that is often a request and we made accommodations.

Next, we have full forum threads devoted to requests to open costumes to our largest color palette.

Well, we did that for this set, and the original group shot showed just a small sample of the variety you can do. Ultimately though, we expect most players will pick unified schemes across their crew that probably match their faction. Essentially along these lines:

http://imgur.com/4FkpKfV,GiCs9ZV,io1F8Tj#1

Finally, we could have made a helmet, but another hunk of feedback we frequently hear is the desire to still see the avatar’s face/head while wearing armor sets. This headpiece is unique in that it’s designed it to function with just about all of the species’ heads, most ears, and most hairdos. The visor is also a separate piece so you can wear both, one or the other, or neither. Or mix it up among your crew. Totally up to your tastes.

I’ll conclude with an updated group shot that features more faction oriented characters (again, broadest color palette for all):

http://imgur.com/4FkpKfV,GiCs9ZV,io1F8Tj#2
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i like the additional color choices and showing them off for us. I will admit i had some hesitation when it came to the costumes when i first saw them, the solid colors dont look bad, one request, can we mix and match the different parts from the special costumes to have some more variety? I.E. using the body armor from say delta set but using the helmet from iconinion set. would be nice to really get some more variety like how the armor kits can be mixed and matched together.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think they're alright actually when you take away the tron lines. I'm glad you guys put the option in to remove them.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks Joe! You and the rest of the character art team have been great listening to requests and getting fixes in. Space Barbie has never been so good. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sorry, but even without the Tron-like pulse, they still look ugly as hell. Just wrong and out of place. The only scenario where those would look right, would be an '80s disco setting...

...if you're looking for those missing helmets: two guys named guy-manuel and thomas were seen snatching them up and fleeing the scene...
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, you certainly made this armor unique!

I'm not a fan of the skin tight bodysuit look, honestly, but seeing the customization options, this is growing on me. Without the glowing lines, it looks better. I've never been a big fan of the armor costumes because of their limited palettes and restricted number of pieces. Letting us use the big color palette and put faction accessories on these is a big improvement over the other armors. I hope that becomes a trend. :)
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well I guess disco is dead... again.

but seriously,

Thank you for all this work, they look much better now.

:)

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Much, much improved.

As the DS9/Voyager & Odyssey uniforms prove, less is more.
  • Options
    turbionturbion Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It looks quite similar to MACO without the chest gear, which is good as far as I'm concerned. I'll certainly get it, though I'm worried it has the same issue as the undine rep armour - your body dimensions are ignored for the most part so even if your character has a more muscular body, it will appear a lot slimmer in that exo armour (whatever it's called :P). I'm also not a fan of how the feet look on this armour, but it's something that annoyed me about the intel outfit as well.

Anyway, good work on the armour.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Much improved! Color and costuming options should be at the forefront of ANY design decisions.

That said, I do believe what people want are CHOICES and OPTIONS. People want to be able to mix and match parts of sets and use whatever colors or textures they want. It's pretty simple.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is it just me or do the women look a bit... cold in those suits? :) heheh.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Your efforts are acceptable, you live, . . . for now.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    clmh32clmh32 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would love to try out Season 10 but I can't get into the game. I get thru the login screen and then the game just gets stuck on the loading screen. Tried several times already and several solutions but no luck yet. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the larger color palette for these suits and the option to make them blend in more if you want to. It would be nice to see the large color palette extend to other items in time.

Something that I’d really love to see with these rep suits in general is the option to use some of the extra bits that they come with in conjunction with the items in our uniform category. Stuff like the shoulder pads, gauntlets, knee pads pouches or boots. That way if you wanted to you could use one of the default armor everybody get in the tailor as a base for this new set. Or you could add on extra parts from the default gear onto the new armor like one of the engineering backpacks, science belts, or thigh attachments.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Speaking as one who mostly plays kdf where the only co!or options are various flavors of mud, and a dull blackish red, THANK YOU!

The full color selection s greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    just give it a chest plate and it won't look so bad.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the future, I'd love to see an Odyssey version of this bodysuit. I now recognize that uniform as being Trek so variations of it for my Feds would be nice. Even if its a C-Store item. A skin-tight metallic Odyssey body armor would be wicked cool.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That said, I do believe what people want are CHOICES and OPTIONS. People want to be able to mix and match parts of sets and use whatever colors or textures they want. It's pretty simple.
    You know, the art folks often say they don't let us mix and match because of clipping issues and so on. Frankly, I'd prefer they let us try it, and if two pieces of different sets clip badly, no one will use that combination. Problem solved!
    seannewboy wrote: »
    Your efforts are acceptable, you live, . . . for now.
    "Good work, Wesley, get some sleep. I'll likely kill you in the morning."
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think that the red pulse should be given the option to be changed since not everyone likes red. I would like to see the pulse have the same amount of color options as the rest of the outfit. Really, EVERY costume should have EVERY color for EVERY piece.

Otherwise it looks meh.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Today I learned that male Klingons don't have junk...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Today I learned that male Klingons don't have junk...

Thats why they're so angry all the time.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I know you tried Cryptic, but this suit is still a fail. Please learn from these mistakes and take them into consideration when you design future armor sets.
  • Options
    opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So... did Disney buy out Paramount already? You'd better hope so otherwise they are going to sue you for duplicating the costumes from Tron!

They look terrible. Of course.
    Petition to add fly from bridge feature. Please share!!
    Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
    Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I like the suit and appreciate the new color options AND the possibility to remove the pulse effect. Thank you for that. The possibility of mixing and matching with non-armor pieces is also very welcome. I hope this sets a precedent for future sets and also takes current set upgrades into consideration.

As for negative feedback, I don't like the bulky visor attachments, wish they could be more sleek/slim. My character looks rather dumb with them.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    come on guys, this is not TRON, it is Trojan! On the pictures I can see "armour" with orange, cherry, kiwi and chocolate taste. The silver/White one probably neutral or extra thin. Im sure they will have a use in RP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFC0O393DQ&t=8
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey, while you're making this compatible with badges/sashes/etc, how about letting us use out Fleet emblem on the shoulder, too?
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,522 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The fact that the devs listened to feedback and took the work that was already done and tried to improve upon it is a wonderful thing and is to be praised.

Thank you for the comments, explanations, and extra screenshots!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    My Female toons appreciate the new armor

When I tried to issue it to my male characters ..They refused said they would just forgo the armor and wear standard uniforms..........................................
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While I still don't find these appealing at all, I can at least appreciate the fact you guys have tried to listen to the community feedback with those. Would like to see less restrictions in the tailor in general, let's hope this trend is upheld in the future at the very least... :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    crm14916 wrote: »
    The fact that the devs listened to feedback and took the work that was already done and tried to improve upon it is a wonderful thing and is to be praised.

Thank you for the comments, explanations, and extra screenshots!
    CM

^this... now if it just didnt look like a latex wetsuit or some discotec reject and looked like armor... as someone suggested perhaps a chest piece and a few more armor bits on the thigs, abdomen... as it is it looks like some bad cyberpunk clubwear still
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why is this thread stickied in General Discussion?

Has everyone just given up on having any semblence of order whatsoever around here?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...