Install Arc
Options

Starfleet Klingons

2»

Comments

• Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm itching to know where this bit of lore comes from? Is there a comic book? Book? Something in game that reveals all this? I find this interesting and would love to look into it.
    there's the 'path to 2409' history that can still be found on the internet, plus there's the history datapads you can get and read on sf academy, plus there's a sto novel that came out right before the game launched.
  • Options
    darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This may have been asked before but I couldn't find anything on it. So the game offers a Klingon Boff as a reward to Starfleet Captians while the Federation is supposedly at war with the Klingons and I got to thinking, are there any in universe explanations for a Klingon serving the Federation while they are at war with the Empire? It's my understanding even Worf switched sides after the war started. So are there any concepts that really work from a rp perspective? Is there a way a Klingon could do this and still be with honor? He is basically a traitor to the Empire and even his entire race, isn't he? Maybe if a Klingon somehow knew the war was a manipulation of the Iconians, he would side with the Federation in efforts to restore peace? I dunno. Help me out here lol.

one: Treason against the Empire.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's actually a very simple explanation - Diaspora. Or the spreading of people from one place to another.

For example, there were Japanese and German soldiers serving in the U.S. military during WWII. Their families immigrated to the U.S. many years prior to the war, in most cases. They identified as Americans.

So there could be Klingon decedents living on Federation worlds - who've never set foot on Qo'noS and totally identify as Federation citizens. Also, lots of 1/2 Klingons, 1/4 Klingons etc.. are probably around due to intermarriage.

The Universe is a very big place.

This right here, guys. Probably the simplest explanation for why there are Federation Klingons.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you cant stop people wanting to explore more then what you get, there is more to life then tapping button in some cargo bay for years, then listening to crewmen whine for years as their commanding officer and still pushing buttons. there is more to life then just picking up a curved swords and jamming it into someones head for the face value of honor.

i mean would you be happy to just clean floors your whole life for an insulting joke for pay and lifestyle boreding on awful at home, or would you think to yourself at some point, "i've had it with this! i want to do something else"?

not every vulcan wanted to follow the path of surak or logic. they became romulans.
    not every ferengi wants to earn just profile like nog, he went to starfleet and became an officer.
    not every klingon wanted to be just a warrior, worf joined starfleet and he expanded his range of abilities and skills considerably, even by klingon standards.
    even jem'hadar wanted more to life then serving the founders and being genetic addicted to substances.

its very possible to see klingons joining starfleet because they have their own reasons or just want a different lifestyle from what they had before.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think Cryptic fails to do a good job of explaining a lot of the story issues in the game.

Spoilers Below for New Players

Take for instance the 2800 mission. This mission was developed and put into the game post Borg and Breen Arcs. So theres quite a bit mentioned in this mission alone regarding Arcs that the player hasnt had to run through yet. But eventually they consolidated the Dominon FEs, which this one was a part of, into the Cardie Arc at some point. So youre introduced to elements of a storyline, the Breen and Borg story that hasnt happened for your character yet. NPCs are rambling on about how the Borg invaded Defera and how the Borg are amassing attacks everywhere and in three years the Federation could fall...Mind you, the only contact your character had had with the Borg up to that point was at Vega. And the last you knew they were quarantined to that planet. Suddenly in 2800, youre becoming privy to information that is basically from the future. Granted Cryptic may go in and make some serious changes to the storyline so that it isnt such a spoiler. But who knows how much of the Cardie Arc theyll have to carve up so that its not such a mess. What was an overall good set of FEs before being carelessly shoved into the Cardie Arc may not resemble its original form after the revamp. Especially since characters like Shon, who was voiced by a non-union actor, will have to be torn from the plot.

They also tend to do this when introducing ships and playable species. When the game first released the Klingon playable characters, and the BOffs were simply waved off as Klingons that did not agree with the Empire. Which isnt a horrible answer. At the simplest level its a solid answer. But it can be quite confusing for a newer player to step into the game 5 years after that explanation has been buried and have a hard time figuring out whats going on. To them the Klingons and Federation is at war. But at every turn they run into Klingons wearing Starfleet Uniforms and Klingons giving them missions.

Theres also the fact that the New Romulus and Nukara Reps have no mission wrapper to introduce them. No one hailing you at level 50 to explain why you need to earn Rep with these two. Nothing explaining that Nukara is a planet that you can visit. And as of right now a Player starting on the Fed side could be completely oblivious to the New Romulus Ground Map due to the Romulan Marks he/she can earn without ever stepping foot on the new homeworld.