test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Others still lagging?

For me, it seems to only be in space pve queues. Story missions are completely fine. Also when I host a private starbase 24 or something like that, there's no lag.

My connection is perfect, and I know it isn't FPS lag. The in game FPS monitor is always fine.

I'd post a trace route if I thought it would help, but something tells me it wouldn't matter.

I'm just curious if others are suffering similar lag issues.
Post edited by unclechins on

Comments

• cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, the lag is currently the worst that I have ever seen in this game.

The game is 100% totally and absolutely unplayable in its current state.
  • historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Game engine is old and it's starting to show. It cannot handle all the abilities devs keep piling on.

You're right. Unfortunately to fix it now I fear there has to be a complete rebuild like a STO 2.0.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They are pushing pre-patches during your gameplay, makes for all kinds of icky-ness. You can turn off on-demand patching in your launcher and see if that helps. Of course doing that you could end up having to download several gigs when the patch goes live. So embrace the suck now or later.
  • freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All patches are done (on demand off), ping still jumps around starting at 120 to 1000+

It would be great if playing would include less rubber banding.

For me it also started becoming unplayable this week.

It was bad in certain areas since a few weeks, some instances the NPC interaction buttons took seconds to show up.
  • freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just found this video which illustrates a possible cause:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKRoq-ejx0

All the new SFX were already taxing the game graphically and on the CPU.
    Toning these down FPS is now a stable 60 vsynced

now their sloppy pile-it-on stratagem might actually be causing lag as well...

Please cryptic, get some code-monkeys to optimize the engine before season 10.
    I would like to keep playing with my recently purchased command cruisers.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Space traits, don't effect ground missions, for which I have also been experiencing bad lag.

New Romulus especially is bad, ESD and, sever al other locations that involve having to deal with NPC's.

Run up to one and, sit there for almost 30secs., before it decides to let you interact with them.

Also, DS9 makes me sit in wait for again almost 30secs., before completing the warp out animation.

STF's, are just one of many lag filled environments atm.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Whatever the reason I still get tons of lag and cannot connect to server issues. Last night was the worst. It'd go to about 160 seconds then connect for a few seconds then another 160 timer.

At this point I don't care what the issue is, I just know it's prevented me from playing and has made sure I'm not spending any cash on the game.
  • seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've given up. Been dealing with this for the last two and a half weeks, roughly a little before the delta recruit thing started, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. I get the feeling it's not GOING to be fixed either. Either Cryptic doesn't know what the problem is, or they don't know how to fix the problem, or they're just not interested in fixing the problem since enough people CAN play that those that don't don't matter.

I got up and turned the game on hoping to at least get one mission in. It took me an HOUR to do Temporal Ambassador. Every corridor was filled with Server Not Responding, and every load screen took five minutes to get through. And this was about 10am Central time. At this point, I'm not even going to look at the game again unless it's 4am. I'm not even going to check again until monday. After more than two weeks of doing this, there's no point. It's a foregone conclusion that I can't play.

And I JUST dropped $30 to get the Andromeda. As far as I'm concerned at this point, that was money wasted on something I'll never get to play with.
  • dubrikerdubriker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've given up. Been dealing with this for the last two and a half weeks, roughly a little before the delta recruit thing started, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. I get the feeling it's not GOING to be fixed either. Either Cryptic doesn't know what the problem is, or they don't know how to fix the problem, or they're just not interested in fixing the problem since enough people CAN play that those that don't don't matter.

I got up and turned the game on hoping to at least get one mission in. It took me an HOUR to do Temporal Ambassador. Every corridor was filled with Server Not Responding, and every load screen took five minutes to get through. And this was about 10am Central time. At this point, I'm not even going to look at the game again unless it's 4am. I'm not even going to check again until monday. After more than two weeks of doing this, there's no point. It's a foregone conclusion that I can't play.

And I JUST dropped $30 to get the Andromeda. As far as I'm concerned at this point, that was money wasted on something I'll never get to play with.

I feel you 100%. I put the game down about 6 months ago because the lag was just so bad. I came back about 3 weeks ago and things were decent, but now it's just a joke. I don't understand why they would even keep this thing live. To me, it seems like they've collected whatever money they could after the purchase from Atari and now they'll just let it run on its own until the servers die (which seems to be within our near future). Super disappointed.
  • unclechinsunclechins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Same here. Lag was fine till just before the Delta recruit thing. Most annoying thing it that there doesn't seem to be any official word from Cryptic. I can understand if it's a problem they're fixing, but some acknowledgement would be nice. Maybe it's somewhere and I just missed it? Maybe not!
  • witchthehunterwitchthehunter Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's a widespread PWE issue, not limited to STO (the fact it started with Delta Recruits Event being supposedly irrelevant). They have acknowledged it and are looking into it, but not spamming updates on it. Takes a little looking to find that out sure, but it's there.

That being said, I'd still like to see an official thread myself. Instead of lockbox notes or season notes, something along the lines of "Ongoing Connection Issues" or some such.
    Yeah, we're still working to resolve this issue. It's affecting all Cryptic titles, so it's not something that's purely affecting STO. It's something that's a little more widespread that we're looking into with as many people as we can to get to the bottom of it.

There's a fine delicate line between posting constantly with "Hey guys, still looking into it. No word back yet!" and utter silence. I don't want to spam you every 30 minutes or few hours with fluff responses, but I don't want to go silent and think it's suddenly off the radar. It very much is something we've been looking into and will look into until we get a resolution.

And that was posted yesterday evening (4/17).
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Game engine is old and it's starting to show. It cannot handle all the abilities devs keep piling on.

nah that's the lag being caused by the dupers and botters and raid cheaters....seriously you don't think some of the people are actually soloing the super hard raids by shear skill or equipment.

Its noticeable when you play in PUGs and every so often you have one player...who barely has to use their weapons and destroys everything including the big boss in a few seconds.
    Or when they get hit by tons of stuff....their shields barely move and they have no actual hull damage.

just a tad bit noticeable in my opinion.

and lately been seeing 10 of the exact same item or duty officer put up for sale for some super cheap amount....like Harvy the Holographic bridge officer as an example....rare but being sold for 5000 credits.

oh well.....

I mean if it was the engine.....then you wouldn't have places with no lag at all....as it wouldn't matter.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its unplayable for several month now
  • dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You are assuming players have equal skills. Not! Knowledge wins the day!

+1 :P

Some
  • chromatychromaty Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since the last patch STO is unplayable in cause of lags, rubberbanding and SNR. Its terrible and Cryptic is doing nothing against it or take note of it.

Why do they destroying this fantastic game, more and more with even more contents without testing it?

Its not possible to play the PVEs, just a few players seems to have no problems.

Pls Cryptic do your Job and fix this server issues!
    eng_sig.jpg
    edited April 2015
    chromaty wrote: »
    Since the last patch STO is unplayable in cause of lags, rubberbanding and SNR. Its terrible and Cryptic is doing nothing against it or take note of it.

Why do they destroying this fantastic game, more and more with even more contents without testing it?

Its not possible to play the PVEs, just a few players seems to have no problems.

Pls Cryptic do your Job and fix this server issues!

That would be the assumption they all went on holliday.
    I'm pretty sure the lack of response, are the few days ahead for the launch of S10. Considering the amount of bugs reported on Tribble, they really got their work cut out for them. On top of that, these connection issues. I believe that they are fully aware what's going on, but rather uses the time best spend. On Tuesdays patch.

If they where to respond on every post, displaying the same message, all they can say are; ''we are working on it'', anyway. And people would complain that they didn't do it fast enough. (Seen that, way too often.)

I too have issues with the connection, but I also realize that, we just won't get an answer before tuesday.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Posted end of January.

Many of you were experiencing lag/rubber-banding. A quick fix was put in place for this and that issue should be largely resolved now. A permanent fix will go out next week.

Its now April,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The lag started for me 2nd week in Feb. Nice fix.............
    edited April 2015
    Right now it's easy to blame hardcore players, because the lag is more evident during high DPS runs. Sorry to say correlation does not equal causation. There is another way to interpret this that is far more likely to be closer to the truth. These hardcore players obtain these new broken/untested abilities before anyone else, the rest of the community are playing catch up. Eventually, everyone will be lagging the same eventually when everyone possesses lag inducing abilities.

Why am I saying all this anyway you ask? For a small group of players, it seems some starship traits and specialization trees are causing this strange lag. It gets really bad if you have 2 or 3 or 4 individuals with these traits and filled trees.

Indeed, it's easy to be uber if you're motivated enough. And that should be fine, because cryptic is pushing players to improve themselves (this directly impacts their quarterly quotas). If anyone is really confused why some of the players performance is lacking compared to others, despite the similarity of builds, well Virusdancer (really smart dude) explains very clearly why there is such disparity.

Indeed agreeing with Virusdancer on that one. It's hilarious how they bridge the play between Low-High end players, and the 2, 3, 4 --> fold times dps needed to clear an instance. Sadly they just pile on to keep people happy, but people should ask for more balanced games, instead of running after the ones with more content.
    (Cryptic: ''Oh my... You got bored there for two minutes... Here, have some 50 more traits to play with for the next 10 minutes, untill we can pile more on...'')

The engine are not handling the skills PWE/Cryptic keeps pilling on, very well. I can only imagine the issues with S10... Some of the lag are might caused by this, but saying hackers and botters are the cause, are just foolish.
    PWE also have the chance to blow off some of the steam, and change the Cogentco provider to a more stable and professionel company (saying profesionel, but rather mean moraly clean and professionel ;) ).
  • unclechinsunclechins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's a widespread PWE issue, not limited to STO (the fact it started with Delta Recruits Event being supposedly irrelevant). They have acknowledged it and are looking into it, but not spamming updates on it. Takes a little looking to find that out sure, but it's there.

That being said, I'd still like to see an official thread myself. Instead of lockbox notes or season notes, something along the lines of "Ongoing Connection Issues" or some such.

And that was posted yesterday evening (4/17).

Hadn't seen that. Guess that's nice to know.

Also saw this post on reddit. Might be some hope on the horizon:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3321o0/psa_lag_and_misfire_issues_mostly_resolved_on/
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Going to rename my ship yo-yo,,,,managed the 2 missions in season 10 but anything else is all most impossible,,,,,,:(,,,,will see if its any better tomorrow.