test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Other?

jenel79jenel79 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
So I just finished the mission Tear of the Prophets on my DR. When speaking to one of the Prophets and asking about the Iconians, they reply.

"They were the first of many, but they angered their siblings. The Whole was broken.
The Other saved them, The Other will save them again."

Anybody have any idea who this "Other" is? Or could this be a hint as to what's coming after the Iconians.
Post edited by jenel79 on

Comments

• Options
    jedispartan4845jedispartan4845 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe Q, or The Q, or the T'kon?
  • Options
    darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    if it was a member of the Q Continuum there is only one being within the Continuum that I think would have saved the iconians and would save them again and that is the Q that we all know the Q that we seen in the next generation, voyager and deep space nine John Delancie's Q. Or it could be the Pah Wraith maybe or some entity that we haven't seen yet
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the other could refer to you using the search function to find the other from last week and post in that.

or it could mean the iconians had other sentient species like the xindi has, that once lived together at different stages of evolution, considered something of siblings if you like. who knows.
    if it was a member of the Q Continuum there is only one being within the Continuum that I think would have saved the iconians and would save them again and that is the Q that we all know the Q that we seen in the next generation, voyager and deep space nine John Delancie's Q. Or it could be the Pah Wraith maybe or some entity that we haven't seen yet

why would the original Q bother himself with such trivial tasks for? his son has grown out of having fun at others expense and besides he knows the risks of causing problems where he shouldnt.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Prophets speak in riddles. The "other" could be pretty much anyone or anything.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well obviously, its the real Iconians, the peaceful ones that build the gateways and all the non-military buildings we saw in TNG and DS9.

The Iconians we are fighting are clearly a offshot... Like the So'na were to the Ba'ku.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    devilment666devilment666 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Other is the third founder of Time Lord society, but Rassilon and Omega got most of the publicity. It is rumoured that the Doctor is the Other.
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Could "The Other" be a reference to the Heralds?
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "The other" is your future you, my theory is you'll get back in time, the alliance will bombard Iconia, and you'll save a few Iconians so history can repeat itself.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There always needs to be some unknown thing beyond the horizon. That is why we explore. The Other are something to dangle that might never get touched for years - but it is there if they do decide to use it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Several threads have mentioned that the tos episode catspaw had beings from outside the galaxy that were servants of "the old ones".

Also, seriously, people need to stop going to q for everything as if there were never any other super powerful beings. What about this extra galactic traveler?
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Douwd

He eradicated a species by accident while agry at one of their ships.though he's not so powerful to put them back afterword. Still, what could an entire race of his kind do? Or a group of them.
  • Options
    aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I believe the other is going to turn out to be the Preservers/Ancient Humanoids (Note: In STO the Preservers and the Ancient Humanoids are supposedly one in the same). They created humanoid life and have a tendency to save dying cultures.

It would also open a wealth of stories post Iconian war. They saved the Iconians, 200,000 years ago, but the preservers were around 4 billion years ago. Who else did they save in that time?

The preservers make a big deal about not making weapons, but what if that taboo comes from a time when they did? They have to be masters of the biological to be able to build genetic machines that will also evolve along a specified pattern, what if some of their old weapons are lying around somewhere?

It would be a nice turn of events for the big bad other hinted out turns out to be benign, but their actions have had dire repercussions for the galaxy.
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think what got the OPs attention is the same thing that got mine, the Prophets say 'The Other' singular, not 'Others' or 'Another' or anything that would denote a species or race. Whatever the Other is, it's singular and one of a kind.

Who knows, might be V'gar ;)
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    aaronh42 wrote: »
    I believe the other is going to turn out to be the Preservers/Ancient Humanoids (Note: In STO the Preservers and the Ancient Humanoids are supposedly one in the same). They created humanoid life and have a tendency to save dying cultures.

It would also open a wealth of stories post Iconian war. They saved the Iconians, 200,000 years ago, but the preservers were around 4 billion years ago. Who else did they save in that time?

The preservers make a big deal about not making weapons, but what if that taboo comes from a time when they did? They have to be masters of the biological to be able to build genetic machines that will also evolve along a specified pattern, what if some of their old weapons are lying around somewhere?

It would be a nice turn of events for the big bad other hinted out turns out to be benign, but their actions have had dire repercussions for the galaxy.

I like this idea.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe Q, or The Q, or the T'kon?

I think it could be the t'kon as we now know not all the extinct species are actually extinct so who is to say the t'kon arent still out there and are allies or even related to the iconians.

Id like to see this happen

We finally get the iconians blockaded on a planet or dyson sphere were about to administer the coup degrace when the t'kon launch an all out offensive on us to rescue the iconians.

thus we defeat the iconians only to be faced with another ancient powerfull species we know little about except for a few scattered artifacts.
  • Options
    frontierplanetsfrontierplanets Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe it could be the False "God" from Star Trek V?
    For best results, read my posts in the voice of Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

*busts down your door while wearing a Starfleet uniform*
    Time to boldy go, losers.
    #this is how you SHOULD collect your crew from shore leave
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    rgzarcher wrote: »
    I think what got the OPs attention is the same thing that got mine, the Prophets say 'The Other' singular, not 'Others' or 'Another' or anything that would denote a species or race. Whatever the Other is, it's singular and one of a kind.

Who knows, might be V'gar ;)

V'ger, but I doubt it. Whatever turned voyager into v'ger maybe.

I do think you !might be onto something with the singular/plural point.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In the cut scene with the Preserver and the Iconian. T'Mara (sp?), the preserver calls her a daughter, one of the first of their creations. T'Mara states she takes no joy in killing an Ancient One, the Preserver states choose a different path, and T'Mara replies she "can not" do that. This seems to imply, as phrased, that her actions are dictated by another controlling factor. In my opinion, she is beholden to another power. I surmise, as the Prophet used Others as a proper pronoun, the Others are indeed beings or a being with direct influence over the Iconians.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The way that the solanne we're trying to make a pocket of subspace in the latest episode reminds me of the sphere builders creating the expanse in Enterprise.
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    In the cut scene with the Preserver and the Iconian. T'Mara (sp?), the preserver calls her a daughter, one of the first of their creations. T'Mara states she takes no joy in killing an Ancient One, the Preserver states choose a different path, and T'Mara replies she "can not" do that. This seems to imply, as phrased, that her actions are dictated by another controlling factor. In my opinion, she is beholden to another power. I surmise, as the Prophet used Others as a proper pronoun, the Others are indeed beings or a being with direct influence over the Iconians.

I thought of this as well and with them being the most powerful known species at least in the physical in star trek or rather STO then it does beg the question who in the hell or what in the hell could be controlling the iconians if that is the case or more specifically her?

there are very few entities that we know of that could do something like that, the Q being one of them of course but I cant see a motive from it.

It will be interesting to see how it all develops.
  • Options
    xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    have you think for a second maybe there a group of iconian they dont like to dominate other species they just go another place and they just keep neutral , they dont wannna mess in the war. is like ori and anscients from stargate sg1 same race same powesr of evolution diferent way s of think.
    nexus.jpg

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015

so basically we have a reaper invasion of sto. interesting if true :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The Presever also says that others grew jealous of their powers and attacked the Iconians. And that the war changed them implying that they might have been peaceful at one time just like Capt Picard suggested in Contagion. Sela also said that time travel affects their mind. Could they have jumped forward in time from the time of the attack on Iconia?

Also, the Prophets do not understand and do not live in linear time. When the say The Other helped them once it might actually mean the other WILL help them. And what if the Other was actually a copy of our character from the Mirror universe?

And coudl be the Other to a Prophet? A pah wraith?
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    The Presever also says that others grew jealous of their powers and attacked the Iconians. And that the war changed them implying that they might have been peaceful at one time just like Capt Picard suggested in Contagion. Sela also said that time travel affects their mind. Could they have jumped forward in time from the time of the attack on Iconia?

Also, the Prophets do not understand and do not live in linear time. When the say The Other helped them once it might actually mean the other WILL help them. And what if the Other was actually a copy of our character from the Mirror universe?

And coudl be the Other to a Prophet? A pah wraith?

Captain Picard alluded to the possibility the Iconians might have been very different from what we think they are because victors write the history. There is so little real knowledge about them I don't think we can know much, but the Iconians we have met are, with all certainty, contemptuous, manipulative, intimidating and supremely confident in their abilities towards all of us. Their angers drive their plans and they have had hundreds of thousands of years to put revenge in motion. But if they are so powerful why haven't they attacked sooner when the younger races were less advanced?

Iconians were created by Preservers. They seem peaceful to a fault. The creation usually follows close to the creator. The Iconians where likely similar at their beginning. They are acting completely different now. There must be a reason. My main reason for thinking there aren't many Iconians left, and maybe only one, is that the gateway Picard, Worf and Data used was in apparently the only place left functional on Iconia and likely served as the last evacuation point, maybe a command center,during the bombardment. That likely left one angry hatefilled Iconian and not enough resources to rebuild. That would explain active probe controls in that room. Probes being the last line of defense.

I don't know much about the Pah Wraiths. But they don't appear to be epically powerful enough to deal with Iconians. The Other is capitalized indicating the Prophet is speaking of a singular specific entity.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    axisomega623axisomega623 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The one who discarded Armis - that black blob that killed Tasha - he said he was a discarded portion of being who got rid of all their evil -
    Q'palaa & Jolan'Tru, --> Beyond Fleet Admiral

iconians.png

"The Iconians and their allies are here...we must stop and save them at the same time before they destroy us...out of TIME"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The one who discarded Armis - that black blob that killed Tasha - he said he was a discarded portion of being who got rid of all their evil -
    Armus. But yeah, interesting dangling plot thread

interesting foot note: According to Star Trek Encyclopedia, the race that created Armus was native to Vagra II.

Vagra II is where they found Armus. So whatever race made him abandoned the planet afterwards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    axisomega623axisomega623 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Armus. But yeah, interesting dangling plot thread

interesting foot note: According to Star Trek Encyclopedia, the race that created Armus was native to Vagra II.

Vagra II is where they found Armus. So whatever race made him abandoned the planet afterwards.

Yup thats why Armus wanted to leave - I'm assuming that he could locate his other halves...
    Q'palaa & Jolan'Tru, --> Beyond Fleet Admiral

iconians.png

"The Iconians and their allies are here...we must stop and save them at the same time before they destroy us...out of TIME"
  • Options
    ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It could have been a Pa'Wraith
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The other is your Mirror Universe self after undergoing godhood somehow and attempting to seed dissent in the Prime Universe in order to make it easier to take over.

Only to find out towards STO's closing that the real mastermind the whole time was your Prime self all along, seeding events throughout space and time to bring about total Hegemony of the Milky Way under your lead.

And it will not be resolved, because you get a closing/goodbye message stating that you have unified the Milky Way, crushed all opponents, and brought about a lasting peace. Your immortal 31st Century self will be overlooking your vast empire map from the deck of your Sphere ship, and as the camera pulls back, reveals the shadowy Iconians under your command, various faction NPCS in your 31st Century uniforms going about their business, and diplomats from all factions and races bowing down before you, before further zooming out and revealing a massive armada of ships from all factions in military parade formation in front of your Sphere ship. Your final statement is. "Take us to warp. We have a new galaxy to explore."
  • Options
    ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The other is your Mirror Universe self after undergoing godhood somehow and attempting to seed dissent in the Prime Universe in order to make it easier to take over.

Only to find out towards STO's closing that the real mastermind the whole time was your Prime self all along, seeding events throughout space and time to bring about total Hegemony of the Milky Way under your lead.

And it will not be resolved, because you get a closing/goodbye message stating that you have unified the Milky Way, crushed all opponents, and brought about a lasting peace. Your immortal 31st Century self will be overlooking your vast empire map from the deck of your Sphere ship, and as the camera pulls back, reveals the shadowy Iconians under your command, various faction NPCS in your 31st Century uniforms going about their business, and diplomats from all factions and races bowing down before you, before further zooming out and revealing a massive armada of ships from all factions in military parade formation in front of your Sphere ship. Your final statement is. "Take us to warp. We have a new galaxy to explore."

I like that, but I dont want the game to end.