What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

There will be sacrifices?

Comments

• Options
    darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    +1 to the idea of Tovan's sister joining the crew and preferably Tovan dies for good and we get his sister
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Republic gets nuked from existence, toon slots holding Republic officers are forever locked out in memorial.

I know youre joking. But honestly I would not be shocked by the loss of New Romulus. Strategically its the option I would go with if I was invading the Beta Quadrant. The first target would be the softest target. Even after 5 years of war the Klingons and Federation are far from being easy targets. This is two Galactic Powers that would be able to endure a decade or two of open war before either side began to struggle to replace Starships and crew. The Romulans, theyve got a handful of Colonies, a small Flotilla, an unfinished Capital, and their forces have been spread thin fighting Tal Shiar holdouts, Voth, Undine, Borg, and Vaadwaur.

Think about it. The Romulans are still paying for their sins after Hobus and here they are trying to rebuild and go in a different direction with their culture and BAM. The Iconians swoop in, seeing the Romulans as a threat, seeking retribution for the Tal Shiars failure and they wipe the city off the face of New Romulus. While the Republic still lives on through the Flotilla..It suffers the greatest blow to its chances of survival. And the only hope the Romulan people have is to turn back towards Sela and her RSE Remnant. Those who chose to ally themselves with the Federation or Klingons are forever outcasts and criminals. Never to return home or face the penalty of death.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmm... lets see..

DS9 gets nuked setting it up for a revamp.... and leading eventually into the next expansion.

All the flagships get blown up trying to protect New Romulus... leading to the newer command ships taking their place... possibly with new Captains... possibly not.

Gaius dies trying to do something to make up for his time with Sela... giving an in game reason for the fact that his voice actor is gone.

We'll possibly lose the Jenolan Sphere... but figure out another way to get to the delta quadrant... we'll reclaim it eventually but since the Jenolan Sphere is horribly under utilized really it's loss other then the gate way really won't be felt.

Some other voice acted characters will also go the way of destruction... again to make way for new voice talent. My guess Jempok goes away and a new voice acted replacement comes in.

Otherwise I don't see too many other losses. New Romulus may get attacked... but because it's the hub of the Romulan Reputation you can't destroy it totally since there isn't a replacement in the pipeworks.

Qo'nos is obviously going to be attacked... but you can't destroy Qo'nos.

ESD was just replaced and updated... so that's safe. Earth maybe for a reason to update the Academy... if that's in the pipeline which I haven't heard anything about.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm betting the Lleiset will be destroyed, and one of the command cruisers brought in to replace it.

Hopefully the losses will be significant. If this is going to be STO's equivalent of ME's Reaper invasion, it has to be big. Planets destroyed, billions killed, that sort of thing. It has to be a long string of brutal defeats followed by some desperate plans to turn the tide.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm betting the Lleiset will be destroyed, and one of the command cruisers brought in to replace it.

Hopefully the losses will be significant. If this is going to be STO's equivalent of ME's Reaper invasion, it has to be big. Planets destroyed, billions killed, that sort of thing. It has to be a long string of brutal defeats followed by some desperate plans to turn the tide.

I hope so! The problem with it though, lies in that many places already have pre-existing storylines so we can't completely destroy them.
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I know youre joking. But honestly I would not be shocked by the loss of New Romulus. Strategically its the option I would go with if I was invading the Beta Quadrant. The first target would be the softest target. Even after 5 years of war the Klingons and Federation are far from being easy targets. This is two Galactic Powers that would be able to endure a decade or two of open war before either side began to struggle to replace Starships and crew. The Romulans, theyve got a handful of Colonies, a small Flotilla, an unfinished Capital, and their forces have been spread thin fighting Tal Shiar holdouts, Voth, Undine, Borg, and Vaadwaur.

Think about it. The Romulans are still paying for their sins after Hobus and here they are trying to rebuild and go in a different direction with their culture and BAM. The Iconians swoop in, seeing the Romulans as a threat, seeking retribution for the Tal Shiars failure and they wipe the city off the face of New Romulus. While the Republic still lives on through the Flotilla..It suffers the greatest blow to its chances of survival. And the only hope the Romulan people have is to turn back towards Sela and her RSE Remnant. Those who chose to ally themselves with the Federation or Klingons are forever outcasts and criminals. Never to return home or face the penalty of death.

Yes, 9/21 of my toons are in the service of the Republic so that would suck... However your reply sounds very reasonable, it would also add more reason story wise to keep them as a dependant faction
  • Options
    thexarkunthexarkun Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is it too much to ask that New romulus be nuked and we be able to join the RSE? Thats why I quit the game years ago in the first place, was bored and romulans were cowards and weak, no true romulan would ever ally with the feds or the KDF when a fragment of the RSE existed.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    All Delta Recruits are retroactively negated when their timelines are erased by a temporal incursion.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I nominate Tovan Khev what do you say Tovan?

TOVAN

yes, sir!
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    talien wrote: »
    Clearly, we will be required to sacrifice obscene amounts of dilithium to defeat the Iconians.
    This is the only reply in the thread which makes sense :v
  • Options
    sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Borderless sector space, implied mass destruction or chaos...it's going to be a race across sector space to maintain control of the various territories! When the game is more active you can see the "good guys" strengthening positions across the galaxy, whereas when there's not as many people - or not as many participating anyways - you see the Iconians making gains. Adventure and battle zones are fun, now expand that to include EVERYTHING.

But to include everything means that there are areas that inevitably see more destruction. This is where a portion of the "sacrifices" come in. What territories are the players as a whole willing to lose in order to save the rest? Or will they/we decide to try to defend everything and hope that it's enough?
    Ever get that Mad Max/post apocalyptic feel from your KDF Talaxians? I don't know why, but the KDF Talaxians just come off as badass while the Fed Talaxians just kind of come off...not badass.

I think that there's some kind of weird psychological thing going on with the Talaxians. Left to themselves they're mostly agreeable with others. But join one of the powers and they totally go full immersion.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It would wound my soul greatly, but I am willing to sacrifice the entire Fed faction.
    May the Gods hasten their passing to Gre'thor...I mean, Feddy heaven.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I nominate Tovan Khev what do you say Tovan?

TOVAN

yes, sir!

Perhaps a bit more subtle: Tovan, put on this red shirt and get out there.

Edit: then again, we might just get a kobali Tovan to replace him
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    rezking wrote: »
    It would wound my soul greatly, but I am willing to sacrifice the entire Fed faction.
    May the Gods hasten their passing to Gre'thor...I mean, Feddy heaven.

I would sacrifice all of my fed toons. (except one, ferengis must live!)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I Think (atleast i hope) that the three factions flagships will be destroyd in a epic battle, Where left to pick up the escape pods if there are any. that way they open the door for T6 versions oddy. scimmi, en bortasqu, hopefully with uni spec seats

We already know Qo'noS gets a beating this time (no word on a revamp of that map yet).

as others stated +1 for tovan kev
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Possibilities:

New Romulus earthquake (as hinted in sphere of influence).
    First city and klingon academy for a revamp.
    Quinn dies.
    Sela dies.
    High chancellor dies, Worf takes his place with more pro-fed policies (since klingon are supposed to join the federation in the near future).
    Enterprise destroyed (we need 3 more enterprises before enterprise J)
    Earth attacked, San Francisco destroyed.
    Neelix dies.
    The new Vaadwaur leader (forgot the name) dies in a blaze of glory trying to redeem the vaadwaur.
    1 sphere destroyed.
    Romulan flotilla destroyed.
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I don't think any tears will be shed if Kurland eats it.

" Admiral [PC]...theres...something...id like to...say before...i go..

"What is it...?"

"Kurland...*click*...HEEE..." BOOOOOOOOOOOM
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There will be only two sacrifices. Because they are the only two which count with pwe/cryptic.

Either,

1) players sacrifice a huge amount of RL currency to purchase/acquire the brand new "must have"
    shinys.

Or,

2) players sacrifice a huge amount of personal time to grind enough Dilithium, Rep Points, and Zen to purchase/acquire the brand new "must have" shinys.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Our characters will lose their T5U ships in a surprising twist. After that, they'll be forced to buy T6 ships from the stores.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There will be only two sacrifices. Because they are the only two which count with pwe/cryptic.

Either,

1) players sacrifice a huge amount of RL currency to purchase/acquire the brand new "must have"
    shinys.

Or,

2) players sacrifice a huge amount of personal time to grind enough Dilithium, Rep Points, and Zen to purchase/acquire the brand new "must have" shinys.

or

3) playes will sacrifice their accounts because tired of 1 and 2!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay can i kill my fleet Admiral and let my flag captain take over.:D
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Never happen.

Creates a continuity problems for any newer players looking to build up their Romulan reputation after finishing the story missions.

Makes the introduction of new Romulan ships difficult/impossible from a story perspective, so that's a revenue stream gone.

Or, if you're intending to have new and existing Romulan players as part of the RSE Remnant...

Creates the same problem with queue's, population dispersion and content development that they side stepped by having Romulan players ally themselves with the red or blue factions.
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I don't think they'll go quite THAT far.
    I am not, however, overly hopeful and suspect that it will pander to the 'special snowflake' element of the playerbase who won't tolerate their character, Supreme Grand Admrial Blah De Blah, losing a battle under any circumstances.

You make a good point, but that is the nature of mmo..... we never lose anything. Always winning, like you said for once losing would have be nice idea. hell even if i lost my character during the story and my flag captain takes over would have been much better storytelling. but its not going to happen.:D
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If they follow ME3, similar to the Shepard's "nemesis", then we will have a NPC coming specially for the FEs. He will not be that great, and we will not have much time to know him before he dies. Then, all the others NPC will act like it's important to you. And insists on how sad you must be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lexxie1983 wrote: »
    We already know Qo'noS gets a beating this time (no word on a revamp of that map yet).

When you wrote this, and I remembered a certain Dev's - stance - on KDF "content"... Let's just say that the peace might be a bit more "enforced" than it used to be...

And ESD will be packed...
    lexxie1983 wrote: »
    as others stated +1 for tovan khev

We all know that, due to his "irreplaceable status", that character slot would "blow up" quicker than Tovan...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All Romulan Captains will sacrifice themselves to save the universe from the iconians. Their ships will be put under command of the great beloved Tovan Khev who becomes the new player character for all Romulans/Remans and you are still not allowed to customise him.:P
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe they can take Mass Effect 3 as the entire inspiration for the Iconian War: the first half of the game was the player consistently losing but still surviving to fight on

Or have a second map appear for each affected location (Qo'noS for example) and have it be available only to players who have progressed past a certain point in the war