Options

is the iconion war the last chapter for sto

124»

Comments

• Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    r24681012 wrote: »
    i don,t know what anyone else thinks and would be glad of your comments but i feel that season 10 will be the last season for sto it seems all story lines from the past 4/5years have lead up to this moment and that is is the final chapter the final battle endgame i can,t see where else sto can go after this dont get me wrong i am looking forward to season 10 and the war of wars but whats next

what do you guys think would like to get thoughs on this

No, I don't think this is the Final Chapter for STO.

So far, all the prelude missions and blogs point to us butting heads with the Heralds, not the Iconians themselves (small difference, I know.)

As for the real world info? Well, every time a Dev, EP or writer is asked this question, we get firm, vehement no. The writers and developers are working on content "well into 2016."

Not just that, but there's also the statements that feature episodes (like uneasy allies) will be released in the current format: ie Run over three-four weeks, then level-gated.

I have to believe that even if we do face down the Iconians and whomp them, STO will find either a new story direction, a new bad guy, or possibly take on the format of the episodes (ie a Stand-alone story per mission.)

Cryptic and PWE have the Star Trek licence for ten years. Meaning they are not going to run the game for 6-7 years and then TRIBBLE out on it.

There's a lot more to come.

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would have loved to see the BORGs a bit more expanded before they went with the Iconians. A shame they did not explore that notion.

Inevitable it does look it might be the end of at least the overall mission arc content. They might still revamp the Cardis for another faction but kind of sad that even WIKI seems to point to the end of a 5 year mission. Hope to be wrong and hope there are other twists to the story arc.:)
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i don,t know what anyone else thinks and would be glad of your comments but i feel that season 10 will be the last season for sto it seems all story lines from the past 4/5years have lead up to this moment and that is is the final chapter the final battle endgame i can,t see where else sto can go after this dont get me wrong i am looking forward to season 10 and the war of wars but whats next

As far as I am concerned, "STO" ends with the arrival of the Iconians. Regardless about what Cryptic does afterwards, Season Ten marks the end of my overall participation. If Cryptic does not release a 'series' of feature episodes, coinciding with the story, I will not be back to work through season ten. Cryptic needs to tell the story through dialogue choices and cinematics. I could care less about the Iconian reputation system. I just want to finish the story.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Personally I would love to see the Borg once again become the Relentless true Hive mind they were in TNG.

Perhaps a story arc involving the final queen, leading to a showdown where she to her horror becomes "one of the many" rather than the individualistic creature she became in Voyager. :D
    Making the Borg a true force to be reconed with onces again.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If STO would stop the reputation tier grind and make the Iconian campaign a featured series of episodes, I would be on-board with some enthusiasm. But more grinding and a new, boring battle zone will make me not participate, same as right now in Delta and Dyson.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    2016 is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and that will be something the game capitalizes on.

I wouldn't bet on sto going under until at least the end of 2016.

Good point. However, if Cryptic doesn't start offering us what we want (like the JJ alternate version of the Constitution-class), instead of pushing ships and equipment that are not inspiring, STO won't be viable much after 2016. They are violating the probationary Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "The customer is always right."
  • Options
    sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good point. However, if Cryptic doesn't start offering us what we want (like the JJ alternate version of the Constitution-class), instead of pushing ships and equipment that are not inspiring, STO won't be viable much after 2016. They are violating the probationary Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "The customer is always right."

Yeah, well the real question Cryptic should consider is: "Which customer do I listen to" because there's a significant number of people, me included, that don't want anything to do with JJ-verse.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yes it will end with the destruction of us all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015

If the customer is always right, then why is there no endgame constitution? It would sell extremely well, but other reasons prevent us from having it. Personally, I hate that saying since if the customer is always right, then I can purchase a $2000 computer for $1.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sysil84 wrote: »
    Yeah, well the real question Cryptic should consider is: "Which customer do I listen to" because there's a significant number of people, me included, that don't want anything to do with JJ-verse.
    Fortunately for you, the price to license out JJtrek is too high for Cryptic.
    starkaos wrote: »
    If the customer is always right, then why is there no endgame constitution?
    Because CBS executives suck.
    bobsled624 wrote: »
    Well, every time a Dev, EP or writer is asked this question, we get firm, vehement no. The writers and developers are working on content "well into 2016."
    The IP will enjoy tons of free marketing in 2016. Who knows if, in 2016, the same will be true, that they're already working on content "well into 2017." Because 2017 offers nothing, and 2016 is the last significant anniversary, and last opportunity for a cross-over tie-in, for likely many years to come.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    some time ago , a EP mentioned on a podcast that the Iconians were the ENDGAME of STO , that we would get to the end of that Arc thats the final thing . Now the Devs will never admit to it now of coarse since there gearing up for that event, Now could there be a new direction from that EPs perspective long ago , quite possible , though they could stretch out the conflict for SEASONS ,or not . We will never know till its too late .
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quepan wrote: »
    some time ago , a EP mentioned on a podcast that the Iconians were the ENDGAME of STO , that we would get to the end of that Arc thats the final thing . Now the Devs will never admit to it now of coarse since there gearing up for that event, Now could there be a new direction from that EPs perspective long ago , quite possible , though they could stretch out the conflict for SEASONS ,or not . We will never know till its too late .
    Then provide the link to the Podcast. If such a Podcasts exists it should not be hard to find - most do not have Dev interviews. Couple that with the fact that such a thing as the end of STO would have been talked about on the forum in a huge thread 5 minutes after the first person heard the Podcast makes it far more likely that you miss-heard or interpreted whatever was said in that Podcast.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Players have been leading up to this encounter for some time; is there some level of finality to this particular storyline?

As an MMO, and as science fiction, nothing is truly “final.” But this is the final conflict of the Iconian war. Although there will be far reaching repercussions, players can expect closure to this five-year mission.

What i take from those highlighted words is that there is nothing more for STO after the iconian war.

In short i think we are reaching the end of the game im not saying doom im saying i think the 5 year mission is coming to an end.

Idk how much more plain they have to be about the issue.

I had hoped for cardassians and the gamma quad but i guess i shouldve known better :(
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cosmic sure im going to go thru the archives of pod casts some that might not EXIST anymore in any form to provide you with a old reference, you want to go looking for it go look at the podcasts be my guest im not here to provide you with proof , if you been here long enough and a fan of the game then you would be listening to the different pod casts that have appeared and heard the same as i did .if you cant take my word for it or Remember thats not my fault . it was a LONG time ago . when was the last time a EP took time to speak to a podcast?? and even fewer casts to listen too . there are plenty of Trek casts not many left that cover STO
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    If this were indeed the end of STO, then what do you suppose the "far reaching repercussions" are?
    The "far reaching repercussions" could as easily reference the transition to maintenance mode.

I think that the situation in 2016 will be supportive of at least some continued development, but alot can change between now and then.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't read it that way at all. If this were indeed the end of STO, then what do you suppose the "far reaching repercussions" are? Perhaps this is just an end to the Iconian story arc and the game will move forward to something different.

The game seems to be making money for them, so why stop developing it and making more money? It wouldn't make much sense.

I hope your right man i wont hold my breath ive been burnt by other games penning out a bright and glorious future only to fold shop leaving you wondering da fuq happened.

so until cryptic shows us there will be a future of the game beyond the iconians i will proceed in thinking the 5 year journey is ending.
  • Options
    killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The Prophets/Wormhole Aliens mention that the Iconians were saved by "The Other" and will be saved by "The Other" again. So maybe "The Other" is the final boss.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I think it more likely they are planning an end to the Iconian conflict to introduce a brand new enemy which would allow for the advent of T7 ships and beyond.
    T7 ships? I'm sure someone at Cryptic is already working on those. And maybe T8, as well.

A brand new enemy? I hope not. It would be a good opportunity to focus any new content on the vague demands for "exploration." Really, that's about striking the right balance between non-combat and combat. To me, it's less about simulating the actual exploration of a new planet, and moreso simulating the non-combat aspect of the IP, which almost always came with a little bit of combat sprinkled in.

Cash cow or not, I can't see them pursuing any more 5-year plans. I'd certainly expect a 1-2 year arc focusing on the GQ, though. We'll see what the sector revamp brings, but there's also the potential for a 1-2 year development cycle filling in vast gaps already present in the AQ and BQ.

And while some want a lull in new content to allow for major bug fixes, I'd want a shorter lull in new content to allow all of the teams to get back onto the same code path, so that each new release doesn't reintroduce bugs fixed in a previous patch. I can't imagine how many person-hours they're wasting having to re-fix the same bugs periodically.
  • Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't see this as the end. For one they still have a few races they could do something with examples: The Cardassians, The Q, etc

Also STO could always do a prequel kinda thing where you play missions that happened in the Voyager or DS9 era. Those alone could be two separate seasons.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To answer the OP -

Yes. This is the final chapter of STO.

It pretty much has to be.

-snip- (because everything after your initial statement was utter nonsense)

I, and many more like me, would be happy to continue to explore the rest of the galaxy. Regardless of whether or not there is an enemy present in the galaxy or not. But by all means, feel free to exit when the Iconian mess is over.
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it more likely they are planning an end to the Iconian conflict to introduce a brand new enemy which would allow for the advent of T7 ships and beyond. From everything we've been told here and read on various other gaming sites, STO is Cryptic's cash cow. I don't see them abandoning it to maintenance mode anytime soon.

Gotta move the story forward at some point. Five years of building up to a conflict....Did players actually expect it to take 10 years? Or that it be the last thing done?

This isnt a single player game people. Its an ever evolving entity. One with storylines that come and go. Much like the TV shows. Seasonal and MultiSeasonal Bad Guys come and go and new ones appear.

How about instead of jumping the shark. We enjoy the story telling thats going to come with the Fed/Klink/Rom vs Iconian War and we'll worry about whats next once we have the Iconians under heel?