test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Iconian Intelligence File #248

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Contact with the barrier has been known to give mere mortals almost god-like power. What terrible wonders can a race that can cross it at will be capable of?

We must learn everything we can about the Heralds and the Iconians before they are at our doors.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is going to be good.

Can't wait for season 10!
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really do like the design for the Heralds, both their ornate armor designs and the look of the species itself as these blue-grey six eyed bruisers. Very imposing.

Of course, this leads me to ask if us player characters will ever get access to the Herald armor pieces or to Herald characters as boffs or player characters. Or for that matter, Herald power staves or power maces as personal weapons. Like I said, they're cool looking and I want one. :)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drreverend wrote: »
    I really do like the design for the Heralds, both their ornate armor designs and the look of the species itself as these blue-grey six eyed bruisers. Very imposing.

Of course, this leads me to ask if us player characters will ever get access to the Herald armor pieces or to Herald characters as boffs or player characters. Or for that matter, Herald power staves or power maces as personal weapons. Like I said, they're cool looking and I want one. :)

Hrmm, the more I see of the Heralds...the more I'm picturing various NCSoft fantasy MMOs and wondering what they're doing in Star Trek.

Cause I mean...

Shadow Mage: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/e1/dc/e1dcb3ddf4049d5721c4b81657fdfcb81428011298.png

Summoned Pet: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/e1/fd/e1fde99b0f7c62ad42e1818303e8aa3d1428013233.png

Rogue/Monk: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/6b/e6/6be648ed4d04cd682603214c29779b951428453218.png

Warrior: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/b6/70/b670b41ca9b737bf89500df9c27a836f1428452506.png

...it's just screaming a few fantasy games at me.

edit: Don't get me wrong, if I was playing some fantasy game - I'd be like, "Dayum, those look freakin' awesome!" - but er, I'm not playing some fantasy game.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hrmm, the more I see of the Heralds...the more I'm picturing various NCSoft fantasy MMOs and wondering what they're doing in Star Trek.

Cause I mean...

Shadow Mage: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/e1/dc/e1dcb3ddf4049d5721c4b81657fdfcb81428011298.png

Summoned Pet: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/e1/fd/e1fde99b0f7c62ad42e1818303e8aa3d1428013233.png

Rogue/Monk: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/6b/e6/6be648ed4d04cd682603214c29779b951428453218.png

Warrior: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/b6/70/b670b41ca9b737bf89500df9c27a836f1428452506.png

...it's just screaming a few fantasy games at me.
    Now now Virusdancer. Soon you'll start comparing Vulcans to Elves! Romulans(or maybe Remans more aptly in terms of lore) to Drow! Caitains to uh.. wait. This is getting weird.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm only a few Iconians left? Why don't we make some giant planet moving device... load Iconia into it then fire it towards the Andreodea Galaxy?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Given how fantasy-esque a lot of Star Trek costume designs get, I think they fit in fine. I mean, look at the Vulcans with their robes and gaudy Ren Faire jewelry, or many of the other classic alien designs. TOS was full of that stuff. And Iconian designs even in the shows tended towards the baroque.

You want fantasy stuff, look at the Klingons with their leathers and furs and metal bolts and wrought iron boots from the Moria branch of Hot Topic.

This is Star Trek. The only guys who dress in tailored, simple, practical sci-fi outfits is Starfleet.
    Now now Virusdancer. Soon you'll start comparing Vulcans to Elves! Romulans(or maybe Remans more aptly in terms of lore) to Drow! Caitains to uh.. wait. This is getting weird.

I want to see D&D night on the Enterprise.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As if Star Trek never used wizards before. Anyone here remember Catspaw? What about Gary Mitchell getting god-like powers from the Galactic Barrier? Or what about the Organians or Q? Anyone who suddenly has a problem with "magic" or "wizards" should go back and re-watch some Star Trek.

Despite their appearance, The Heralds actually seem less magical to me compared to lot of the beings which have already appeared in Star Trek.
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Please, please, PLEASE can we get our Battle Mechs this Season? C'mon, Art Dept...you know you want to! ;)
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is going to look good. Now I need to hurry and get to Lv60 and get caught up. However this is good. Since I won't be stuck waiting for new content to come out.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    So basically the KDF captain who wrote the file sais: "Be alert, be ready, we have no chance, but death before dishonor!"

Inspiring. :D

Pretty much..I know I'm ready to serve them a warp core breach or two! For the Milky Way, and qapla'!
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    mcherubmcherub Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can I please Have the herald armor and that battle mace/spear over the disco armor the rep is giving us. I mean...come on...those suits look sweet, yes a little fantasy but they fit more with the STO canon than the party armor does. It would be nice to have some new melee weapon options available, or maybe the spear has one melee attack and a lance ranged attack, while the mace has a melee attack and a quake smash cone ability. Those would look sweet. can't wait to start fighting those Iconians with my new Kobali Delta Recruit.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Intelligence indicates that the Iconians' numbers are few. It may be that only a handful of them escaped the orbital bombardment of their worlds 200,000 years ago.
    In 200,000 years I'm pretty confident in saying that a population can thrive, even in half that time. Why are we suppose to believe that in 200,000 they haven't grown in numbers again?

Unless these guys are the evil Asgard of STO (in that they clone and cannot reproduce) then a better reason (or rather, an initial reason) for their low numbers wouldn't hurt.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mcherub wrote: »
    Can I please Have the herald armor and that battle mace/spear over the disco armor the rep is giving us...

No No No No No...

I'm liking the look for the upcoming S10, these antagonistic characters are mean looking, but for gods sake, do not allow their technology/weapons to be obtainable to use by players! If they're to remain special, make their tech unobtainable.

I mean, I'd rather not see a whole lot of Iconians & their heralds come screaming in only to be slaughtered by our own people wielding the same weapons & tech. It would diffuse the huge threat Cryptic has developed around them, thus making a huge portion of this game, well, pointless...

If anything, have the allies make their own usable variant that mirrors iconian tech, but is nowhere near as powerful or advanced...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Contact with the barrier has been known to give mere mortals almost god-like power. What terrible wonders can a race that can cross it at will be capable of?

We must learn everything we can about the Heralds and the Iconians before they are at our doors.

~LaughingTrendy

After the first encounter with the Barrier. Federation ships crossed it without too much hassle multiple times (see the TOS Episode "By Any Other Name".) Just saying...;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The bit I'm most curious about is why there are still so few of them. By contrast, best evidence suggests about 70 individual humans migrated over the Bering straight into north america and ~20-40k years later the continent had a few million inhabitants (~10-15m only north america, not counting central and south).

The iconians have had 5 to 10 times longer to reproduce, yet seem not to have done so.

We know there are some interesting results of this small original gene pool for the native Americans ( like nearly all of them being blood type o, unless they're far enough north to have interbred with a second wave that brought type a). I wonder if the chronitons in the brain phenomenon was originally rare among iconians. I also wonder if they have issues reproducing (either social or biological). It is also possible that what ever is going on in the andromeda galaxy the is making it impossible for the kelvan to survive there might be impacting the iconians population numbers. So might a long war with the kelvan for that matter.

Still, this is the bit I'm most interested in. Secondarily, is it just me or is this author the most polite Klingon ever?

Some interesting reading on the above:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
    The over-all pattern that is emerging suggests that the Americas were colonized by a small number of individuals (effective size of about 70), which grew by a factor of 10 over 800 – 1000 years. The data also shows that there have been genetic exchanges between Asia, the Arctic, and Greenland since the initial peopling of the Americas.

And there's a wonderful timeline on this page, I like to compare to the memory alpha timeline:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Distant_past
  • Options
    dashripkindashripkin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "...[A]lready we are outfitting experimental ships with technology that can control a gateway for a short time."

Hmm. I can haz one?
    i haeve teh fancay signaetures!!!!!!!1 i am teh l33t usar!!!!!!1
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dashripkin wrote: »
    "...[A]lready we are outfitting experimental ships with technology that can control a gateway for a short time."

Hmm. I can haz one?

The obelisk carrier did this in its mission.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Gavin, I was wondering about the same. Though crossing the barrier and the transit to Andromeda, as well as however their portals work and how that technology interacts with the Galactic Barrier, as well as their time in Andromeda itself, may have greatly changed the Iconians into something that they weren't 200,000 years ago.

Heck, it's entirely possible that the Iconians of back then really weren't as malevolent... but passing through the Barrier changed them the way it did others, and turned them into self-proclaimed gods.
  • Options
    dashripkindashripkin Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The obelisk carrier did this in its mission.

I can haz a different one? One that isn't shaped like a giant tennis shoe logo?
    i haeve teh fancay signaetures!!!!!!!1 i am teh l33t usar!!!!!!1
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As if Star Trek never used wizards before. Anyone here remember Catspaw? What about Gary Mitchell getting god-like powers from the Galactic Barrier? Or what about the Organians or Q? Anyone who suddenly has a problem with "magic" or "wizards" should go back and re-watch some Star Trek.

Despite their appearance, The Heralds actually seem less magical to me compared to lot of the beings which have already appeared in Star Trek.

the meaning behind the word magic is an illusion by "apparent" superpowers one has used or fallacy of intelligence and visual deception, in both cases the alluded to powers are very much a tool or deception.

in the trek world kirk almost ended up dead because of a god like mitchell, those powers were not magical, they were not an illusion. q had powers and for the most part unexplored to the trek audience, again the incident with the borg and the ent-d was not magic especially where the deaths of several crew members by the borg were concerned.

if you want magical, kirk carried a significant reputation with his enemies and they respected him for it without testing it in combat to prove the claim, that is an illusion or a magic attempt.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    drreverend wrote: »
    Given how fantasy-esque a lot of Star Trek costume designs get, I think they fit in fine. I mean, look at the Vulcans with their robes and gaudy Ren Faire jewelry, or many of the other classic alien designs. TOS was full of that stuff. And Iconian designs even in the shows tended towards the baroque.

You want fantasy stuff, look at the Klingons with their leathers and furs and metal bolts and wrought iron boots from the Moria branch of Hot Topic.

This is Star Trek. The only guys who dress in tailored, simple, practical sci-fi outfits is Starfleet.

I want to see D&D night on the Enterprise.

http://larptrek.com/ Ask, and ye shall receive
  • Options
    spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wait, what? For all we know the Iconians can snap their fingers and destroy an entire fleet. We've barely even seen their ships, much less fired upon them. How the hell are we supposed to generate war strategies to fight something we know next to nothing about? We just need to wait for a battle and analize the situation.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    if you want magical, kirk carried a significant reputation with his enemies and they respected him for it without testing it in combat to prove the claim, that is an illusion or a magic attempt.

^^^
    Not really. Kirk showed his tactical abilities and guile many times throughout the series. His Reputation was deserved and battle tested. Examples?

TOS - The Corbomite Manuever"
    TOS - "The Balance of Terror"
    TOS - "The Deadly Years"
    TOS - "Journey to Babel"
    TOS - "The Ultimate Computer"
    TOS - "Elaan of Troyius"
    TOS - "The Enterprise Incident"
    TOS - "Day of the Dove"

Honestly, if you want an example of a Captain in Star Fleet who had a reputation that was 'all talk' (Hell, anytime he talks about his 'military' exploits he either lost his ship TNG - "The Battle"; was running from an enemy ship TNG - "The Wounded"); I give you Captain Jean Luc Picard; and challenge you to provide an episode that shows his ability at actual starship command.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cavalerius wrote: »
    No No No No No...

I'm liking the look for the upcoming S10, these antagonistic characters are mean looking, but for gods sake, do not allow their technology/weapons to be obtainable to use by players! If they're to remain special, make their tech unobtainable.

I mean, I'd rather not see a whole lot of Iconians & their heralds come screaming in only to be slaughtered by our own people wielding the same weapons & tech. It would diffuse the huge threat Cryptic has developed around them, thus making a huge portion of this game, well, pointless...

If anything, have the allies make their own usable variant that mirrors iconian tech, but is nowhere near as powerful or advanced...

Having the allies use their own variants...like the Dyson ships? Thematically it might work better, but we're deluding ourselves if we think Herald tech won't show up in the next lockbox.
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i just want to understand what we going up against. sounds like iconians are supermen from krypton. now we know what weakness superman has. what is the iconians? plus they have an army of followers that have supior tech.

the universe is doomed i tell you. lets close down shop and open up in JJ universe
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Honestly, if you want an example of a Captain in Star Fleet who had a reputation that was 'all talk' (Hell, anytime he talks about his 'military' exploits he either lost his ship TNG - "The Battle"; was running from an enemy ship TNG - "The Wounded"); I give you Captain Jean Luc Picard; and challenge you to provide an episode that shows his ability at actual starship command.

anyway, you get the point of the magic act im getting at. no power in an illusion if you can see through it, i wonder why his enemies didnt? :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hopefully there will be lots of new feature episode style missions in addition to the new PVE's which do look good.

Loving how the Dyson sphere themes and how especially art-wise Iconian assets and servitor race assets have evolved. All looks really exciting and deadly.

Staying with Star Trek Online because of the story.
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If we need everyone that isn't an Iconian Servitor to fight against them then perhaps this could mark the return of the Dominion for good and the Gamma Jem Hadar coming to the rescue all with the saying "We go into to battle to reclaim our lives"
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    acherion2175acherion2175 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one wondering why we were getting bleed over from warcrack.