test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Movie References (NOT Trek Movies!!) in STO

berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
Ok, so I recently was experimenting with a new toon, seeing what I might want to do during the event that starts tomorrow. In running through story missions that I hadn't done in a long time, I ran across a couple movie references.

One was in "Gasko Blues", which is an obvious homage to Bespin City in The Empire Strikes Back. First, you are greeted by Tobol, who bears a striking resemblance to Lando's electrified assistant, Lobot. Then, there is the whole idea that they are on a mining colony that has the Empire suddenly making it's unwelcome presence felt there. Hakeev even has a line of Vader's for crying out loud!!!

The next reference I noticed was in a mission I've forgotten the name of. It's on a Reman colony, and there's snow. When you discover the warehouse full of missiles, a line in the game echoes Sean Connery's in Hunt for Red October: "Things in here don't react well to being shot at." (Or something like that...)

How about Bug Hunt? The only thing missing from that Starship Troopers takeoff is a well placed "C'mon ya apes! Do ya wanna live forever?!?"

Most recently, in Uneasy Allies, Sela steals from Galaxy Quest when the Maze Room (or whatever you want to call it) is revealed. "Honestly, who designs a room like this!?!?" (Again, a paraphrase from memory...)

So, on this eve of the Delta Recruit event, what other gems should we keep our eyes peeled for as we run through missions? What lines like this, as you play again, suddenly pop out at you that you didn't notice before?
"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    None of these are as shameless as the quest in Wowcraft where you jump in a chest to escape an explosion ala Indiana Jones refrigerator nuke scene.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WOW has so many movie references, it would take many pages to list them.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    None of these are as shameless as the quest in Wowcraft where you jump in a chest to escape an explosion ala Indiana Jones refrigerator nuke scene.

Shameless? Shameless Fun! I'm looking forward to seeing these little Easter Eggs as I run through the storylines again...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can drink "SlugO" soda. Not from a movie, but a nod to the show ,Futurama.

Tholian crystal sword - light saber.

None of the Rep armor looks like HALO.....oh wait....
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    The Proton rifle from the Devidian missions.
    Ghostbusters much?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainpetey001captainpetey001 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The AEGIS set makes your ship look like a recognizer from "Tron" and "Tron: Legacy." And the full MACO set? Definitely Tron or Clu.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    The next reference I noticed was in a mission I've forgotten the name of. It's on a Reman colony, and there's snow. When you discover the warehouse full of missiles, a line in the game echoes Sean Connery's in Hunt for Red October: "Things in here don't react well to being shot at." (Or something like that...)
    And I keep thinking there should be a chance for a Typhoon mini-boss (with cloak) to spawn during Mirror Invasion. Its name? Krasny Oktyabr, naturally.
    Most recently, in Uneasy Allies, Sela steals from Galaxy Quest when the Maze Room (or whatever you want to call it) is revealed. "Honestly, who designs a room like this!?!?" (Again, a paraphrase from memory...)
    And it also happens to be a fine bit of Lampshade Hanging.
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Not sure about resemblances to Mjolnir armor, but I've seen folks give the Counter-Command armor a color scheme reminiscent of a certain billionaire industralist's most famous creation.
    And the full MACO set? Definitely Tron or Clu.
    Note: this is really evident with the photonic staff on Facility 4028. Dear dev team, what's your excuse for that color range not being available to players again?

Lastly... not a movie reference, but it looks like Eurocorp has found its way into STO (reference)...
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2015
    Sorry, we're nerds. We can't help ourselves sometimes. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Does the fact I love it mean I am, too?

(Really, it'd just be one more piece of evidence...)
  • ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    I'm guessing Captain Taggart from the tutorial is another Galaxy Quest reference. Also, the "And Their Arrows Blotted Out the Sun" final portion of Uneasy Allies could be a 300 reference (but also a reference to just the historical Battle of Thermopylae). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Fight in the Shade" accolade in an upcoming Iconian mission. :cool:
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are a couple from canon that have been used in STO as well:

1) The Breen EV suits have long been thought to resemble Princess Leia's disguise when sneaking into Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi a little too strongly.

2) Voyager's ablative generator from "Endgame", now a universal console in STO, was similarly derided by fans as a ripoff of the Batmobile armor from Tim Burton's Batman movies.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    Bug Hunt? The only thing missing from that Starship Troopers takeoff is a well placed "C'mon ya apes! Do ya wanna live forever?!?"
    Pretty sure that "Bug Hunt" is a direct reference to Aliens.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    amezuki wrote: »

That line was ad-libbed in the movie as a reference to Starship Troopers, which all the marine actors had to read beforehand.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Timeship set: Omega 13!
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    amezuki wrote: »

Actually I do think Bug Hunt is a reference to Starship Troopers. The Lt. kinda looks like Rico, says that the only good bug is a dead bug...
    Not sure about resemblances to Mjolnir armor, but I've seen folks give the Counter-Command armor a color scheme reminiscent of a certain billionaire industralist's most famous creation.

Actually... if you compare the Omega Force armor to say... ODST armor... :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Um SlugO is from DS9, you're thinking Slurm
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Interesting, did they use a time machine to do that then seeing as how Aliens was released 11 years before Starship Troopers?

You know starship troopers was a series of books before it was a movie right?
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Slugo Cola is from DS9, not Futurama. DS9 came first.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The real light sabers in the game are the nanopulse lirpas and bat'leths. They were originally released around the same time that Star Wars: The Old Republic went live, as a deliberate homage. They were even handed out by this guy.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm surprised no one mentionned, in Uneasy Allies, the Hobus Gate Room being a replica of Stargate SG1 Gate Room.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Delta Rising is full of zombie apocalypse references. A dead world, nothing is working as it did in the good old times. All fun is gone and you just fight to survive the insane grind and p2w TRIBBLE.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually I do think Bug Hunt is a reference to Starship Troopers. The Lt. kinda looks like Rico, says that the only good bug is a dead bug...

He also serves on the U.S.S. Buenos Aires, which is the city destroyed by the bug asteroid in the ST film.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have heard PA announcements on the Fleet Starbase and ESD referencing what the Red Zone and the White Zone are for...

http://youtu.be/wvdNCDVmRP

That still makes me laugh.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Avenger class was introduced right around the time Avengers was in theaters.

And the Guardian? That's right. Of the Galaxy.

Look for the Ultron class to be introduced soon!
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015

So which 1 are you? Booger, Poindexter, Wormser ???
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I have heard PA announcements on the Fleet Starbase and ESD referencing what the Red Zone and the White Zone are for...

http://youtu.be/wvdNCDVmRP

That still makes me laugh.

You're kidding me. I've never noticed! Makes sense for ESD though. That place is a circus.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetimines.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    variant37 wrote: »
    You're kidding me. I've never noticed! Makes sense for ESD though. That place is a circus.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetimines.

It's rare there. It happens more often at the fleet base. It's not exact and you only get one announcement instead of two dueling--but it's pretty hard to miss the reference.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.