test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruitment Event- Why? Stat Padding.

hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
After seeing the blog on all the rewards for delta recruits the first thing that went through my head was: "Why?". Why would a dev throw together a whole event encouraging players to run an Alt and throw a TRIBBLE ton of currency and marks at them for doing it? Compared to anything any other MMOs are doing it just seems strange. Like look at FFXIV: ARR for example. You can have one main and never need to make an alt ever to experience all the games content. Switching classes is as easy as switching gear and leveling up. Sounds good right? This is like the opposite of that.
Then it dawned on me. They're doing it just to pad their stats/metrics.
Maybe to avoid any more future lay-offs? Or to give an impression of "game growing!" while their parent company may soon be looking to cut costs? When you think about what the player community will be left after this is with a bunch of dead alts. Most players will just create the Delta recruit solely to get the account wide unlocks.

It's the mind baffling stuff that goes on in this game that keeps it where it's at today. Like continuing to dedicate resources to re-vamping old missions. Why? What a waste of time. Someone should tell the Devs to keep looking forward and stop looking back.
Post edited by hausofmartok on

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The primary purpose of the Delta Recruitment event is to draw in new players to the game, and players that have stopped playing the game. The rewards are designed to give new players a boost so that when they compare themselves to more established players the gap would not seem to be as large.

The Delta Recruitment event does provide something to the current player base so that they do not feel left out. But that is only a secondary objective since the best way to potentially increase revenues is to have a larger player base.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cool story. I plan on taking full advantage of their "stat padding".
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If they really wanted to "stat pad", I'm sure there are other ways to manipulate data using statistical methods to get any result they want to have. The Delta Recruitment initiative is for another purpose entirely - grabbing new players.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do you people feel the need to scream "It's DYING" every single week. Why does doom interest you so very much? Just stop playing already.
    edited April 2015
    spock1190 wrote: »
    Why do you people feel the need to scream "It's DYING" every single week. Why does doom interest you so very much? Just stop playing already.

Spock..Spock...Spock. You of all people should know that logic on the STO forum is in fact illogical.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think it's dying. There's plenty of ignorant players blowing wads of cash on the game and I don't see it going away anytime soon considering it costs next to nothing to keep a game in maintenance mode. Look at CO.
    Anyway, the whole concept of the Delta Recruitment to me is just lame. Giving a new playing 1 million EC and some dil or whatever will not bring them up to speed or anywhere near the level of a level 60 vet player. What will it get them a mirror ship and a rep or fleet item or two? Why not do like WoW and give a instant lvl 50 token. Makes much more sense IMO.
  • spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe they want some gratification for all the work they put into revamping the early missions? I don't know, I don't work there. Speculation is a waste of time one way or another. It's like wondering whether GRRM will ever finish ASOIAF. Impossible to know even WITH his current medical prognosis. Which none of us have access to.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A lot of things Cryptic does now is for stat padding. Delta Recruitment won't draw in a lot of new players. We'll see more vet players making Delta Recruits to take advantage of easy freebies. And Cryptic gets their player metrics for the next two months.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    A lot of things Cryptic does now is for stat padding. Delta Recruitment won't draw in a lot of new players. We'll see more vet players making Delta Recruits to take advantage of easy freebies. And Cryptic gets their player metrics for the next two months.

Agreed. Hasn't the MMO market shown that it's new playable races and expansions that really bring in new players? I mean come on.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    New players. Returning players.
    Like continuing to dedicate resources to re-vamping old missions. Why? What a waste of time.

Because it makes the game more enjoyable for new players and new alts. More fun = more time playing = more money spent on ships, gear, services.

The KDF leveling up story is much much better than it was a couple of years ago when you started at level 20(?). The Fed tweaks are more subtle but it's better too. Better is good!

When I tell someone they should try STO, they are now more likely to enjoy it and keep playing.

So, no it isn't time to sing the doom song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY278K4ljWs
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The only stat padding that means something for STO's continued success is revenue and profit.
    All other stats are just indicators that these critical stats have a chance to go in the right direction and stay there (or not).

SO in the end, you're just telling us that it's to keep the game profitable. Awesome. I am shocked. Surprised. Flabbergasted.

Not.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If they wanted to attract new players, they should have made the news known, and not only post it on twitter/official website/reddit. New players are not the kind of person that actively follows the official website.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    If they wanted to attract new players, they should have made the news known, and not only post it on twitter/official website/reddit. New players are not the kind of person that actively follows the official website.

Maybe, or maybe marketing thought its better to promote things like starships and phasers over level up improvements.

I haven't seen their current marketing / ads for new players, does it mention something like "easier leveling"? WoW did that at one point then went back to more generic ads.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is mainly to get new players into the game, and for those that just want to make new alts for some reason after DR.

The only reason that they give the small account-wide rewards is so that they can claim that they are helping with the grind that alts have to do, instead of giving more useful things that most have been asking for, but they try nerfing.

And, of course, they are wanting to pad their metrics. There is no question about that.

If they really wanted to help those that have been asking for help with alts, then you wouldn't need to re-grind a new character to get the rewards. Just go back, and replay those few missions on existing characters. And even then, none of them are permanent xp boost, or anything really useful for helping with the alt grind.

And the xp bonus that they are offering, it is only going to temporarily bring the xp up to where it was before a lot of the recent nerfs.

But, for those that don't want to run one, doesn't mean you can't benefit from others that do. The server unlocks that the Delta Recruits get will at least give a little something to help for a very short time. So, let those grinding new Delta Recruits grind away at unlocking those rewards. Everyone will benefit from it, so there is at least that.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're probably right. It's not like PW can just look on their website, look through Cryptic's agenda (which may or may not be Cryptic) and add up one and one to come up with this so called "padding" scheme.

That or... the really less likely bit that they're just trying to get returning, less vested players interested in the game again (new players? That'd have to be a LoR level deal). Honestly, a new bit of lore, rewards to get my reps done without too much of a hassle, a chance to play a Romulan class again (this time, she'll be an actual Romulan instead of an alien). Why not? Sounds fun.

Plus, I know that a lot of people are jaded with this game. Can't blame you. But I took a long vacation from it and there isn't anymore bull coming down from up top like posts on the forum to supposedly calm flames that are self-servingly titled "THE EP SPEAKS". So, at least Cryptic isn't as dismissive of their customers in a marketing sense. Also, the whole bit about Iconic ships given the t6, old lock box ships given the t6 treatment... It exposes that whole system for what it is and hurts the very people who years ago tried to defend this whole p2w bs. So... that ship has sailed, those people got what they deserved, and **** it's nice to be a space cowboy(or girl... my characters usually end up being chicks) every now and again. The event is icing on the cake or a nice olive branch to those who have spent too long looking at the dark side to Cryptic's strategies for making a profit.

****, if they did more stuff like this I'd be more inclined to part with my money.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Like look at FFXIV: ARR for example.

Why would we look at a subscription MMO? You may as well take an iPhone Fremium game as an example.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think it's dying. There's plenty of ignorant players blowing wads of cash on the game and I don't see it going away anytime soon considering it costs next to nothing to keep a game in maintenance mode. Look at CO.
    Anyway, the whole concept of the Delta Recruitment to me is just lame. Giving a new playing 1 million EC and some dil or whatever will not bring them up to speed or anywhere near the level of a level 60 vet player. What will it get them a mirror ship and a rep or fleet item or two? Why not do like WoW and give a instant lvl 50 token. Makes much more sense IMO.

before anyone says sto is dying take a look at the steam stats for sto here >

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

and compare them to the steam stats for champions online here >

http://steamcharts.com/app/9880

before anyone says sto will go offline they need to take a look at these and think if they can keep champions running with so few players how can they end sto.

I know steam charts are not entirely representative of the true figures but the numbers are still representative that sto is doing a lot better then champions.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    before anyone says sto is dying take a look at the steam stats for sto here >

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

and compare them to the steam stats for champions online here >

http://steamcharts.com/app/9880

before anyone says sto will go offline they need to take a look at these and think if they can keep champions running with so few players how can they end sto.

I know steam charts are not entirely representative of the true figures but the numbers are still representative that sto is doing a lot better then champions.

Oh my...I think a I shed a tear. That is truly sad...

I knew Champions was in terrible shape but...this is depressing as hell. Also have to remember this is just Steam too. Probably better numbers through Arc or standalone.
  • varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Let's see....

Nope, this is not going to get me to return.

Cryptic, stop with this gimmicky TRIBBLE. You're not going to bribe most of the players you lost with this kind of stuff. Nor are you going to gain many new players. You've burned, napalmed and nuked those bridges long ago. You're only hope is to do an about face on your recent design choices.

0/10.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah it's probably for padding their metrics, but frankly I don't care. I've been wanting to create a Federation tactical character for some time now (my main and alt are engineering/science respectively) however I could never really find the right moment to start.

With the Delta event, I can get a new character I've wanted to do plus benefit from all those awesome account wide bonuses. Those devices especially look rather nifty.

Looking forward to it!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Oh my...I think a I shed a tear. That is truly sad...

I knew Champions was in terrible shape but...this is depressing as hell. Also have to remember this is just Steam too. Probably better numbers through Arc or standalone.

interesting to look at STO. The people pointing out how much more successful LoR was were dead on.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    varekraith wrote: »
    Let's see....

Cryptic, stop with this gimmicky TRIBBLE. You're not going to bribe most of the players you lost with this kind of stuff. Nor are you going to gain many new players. You've burned, napalmed and nuked those bridges long ago. You're only hope is to do an about face on your recent design choices.

0/10.

There's nothing wrong with gimmicks. I'm quite looking forward to running another character with the new mission additions.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited April 2015
    When do they usually post patch notes? Day before or during maintenance?
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    varekraith wrote: »
    Let's see....

0/10.

if you no longer play the game why do you still post on the forums?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I for one don't care if they're doing this for padding their metrics or what have you.

It's a good idea, one that many players and new players will possibly find enjoyable.

So what if at the end of the year they claim that "2 billion new captains were created". If they had fun during the DR event... then I'm actually happy for Cryptic.

Since the game is all about pleasing your customer player base... if while doing that... pleasing them... you get a few bonuses out of it as a company trying to make money... it's win/win for everyone.

Good for Cryptic to figure a way to give the players what they want and themselves what they want at the same time. It's been a while since we've had that.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Actually, I think it's a bit more than that.

It's about metrc research.

In short we will ALL be running the same missions, using the same gear with the same mods. This isn't so much about numbers, as it is about calibration. Research.

They can use completion times and the like to figure out our pain thresholds, really, and what we they need to do to squeeze every last cent from us.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    After seeing the blog on all the rewards for delta recruits the first thing that went through my head was: "Why?". Why would a dev throw together a whole event encouraging players to run an Alt and throw a TRIBBLE ton of currency and marks at them for doing it? Compared to anything any other MMOs are doing it just seems strange. Like look at FFXIV: ARR for example. You can have one main and never need to make an alt ever to experience all the games content. Switching classes is as easy as switching gear and leveling up. Sounds good right? This is like the opposite of that.
    Maybe to avoid any more future lay-offs? Or to give an impression of "game growing!" while their parent company may soon be looking to cut costs? When you think about what the player community will be left after this is with a bunch of dead alts. Most players will just create the Delta recruit solely to get the account wide unlocks.

It's the mind baffling stuff that goes on in this game that keeps it where it's at today. Like continuing to dedicate resources to re-vamping old missions. Why? What a waste of time. Someone should tell the Devs to keep looking forward and stop looking back.

You just realized that!:D

It's been going on since DR launched and countless of players left STO. Sooner or later number of those exiting would offset those hardcore ones and newbies. In the history of STO there hasn't been a period of time of so many events going on to "keep" peeps in the game. Weekend after weekend there has been something to keep players metrics up. This is a ponzi scheme but enjoy while it lasts....sooner or later quotas will be met and things will go back to normal....if normal will ever go back up would depend on how many "enticements" they can create for the playerbase to stay tuned.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You just realized that!:D

It's been going on since DR launched and countless of players left STO. Sooner or later number of those exiting would offset those hardcore ones and newbies. In the history of STO there hasn't been a period of time of so many events going on to "keep" peeps in the game. Weekend after weekend there has been something to keep players metrics up. This is a ponzi scheme but enjoy while it lasts....sooner or later quotas will be met and things will go back to normal....if normal will ever go back up would depend on how many "enticements" they can create for the playerbase to stay tuned.

actually this is false...before the weekend events they all use to be daily events. Every hour of the day had a different event...I think double dil or double XP was 2 hours. They moved away from this and eventually brought in the weekend events.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015

That's just it... Steam stats are going to be far from truely representing STO players, as many would load straight from the launcher and Arc respectively...

Even if Steam, for argument's sake, represents a 3rd of players active at a time (which I suspect it does not), 6,000 - 12,000 players on at any given hour is not too bad, and far from an MMO on the brink of shutting down...
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Yeah I for one don't care if they're doing this for padding their metrics or what have you.

It's a good idea, one that many players and new players will possibly find enjoyable.

So what if at the end of the year they claim that "2 billion new captains were created". If they had fun during the DR event... then I'm actually happy for Cryptic.

Since the game is all about pleasing your customer player base... if while doing that... pleasing them... you get a few bonuses out of it as a company trying to make money... it's win/win for everyone.

Good for Cryptic to figure a way to give the players what they want and themselves what they want at the same time. It's been a while since we've had that.

And it's already working... A friend of mine who's seen me playing STO, and had ummed and ahhh about playing for a while, has finally decided to start playing himself as a direct result of the Delta Recruits promo...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Has nothing to do with padding anything, the new ships will do that.

Has all to do with most people only signed up for 1 month while they level a character to get all the bonus bank slots/retrain tokens when going up levels. All free to play delta recruits wont have that without a month long sub. And some will keep it after that.. While love the idea of Delta Recruits, i dont want to have to sub another month to make the char useful endgame.