test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starship Interior Feature Requests/Suggestions

e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
In the spirit of role-playing (that's what "RP" in MMORPG" stands for after all), I'd like to share some ideas/requests for features within starship interiors. Starship interiors have always been a major part of the Star Trek shows, and I was hoping to see some of these happen in the future. Now I know there are a lot of more pressing matters for the developers, but it wouldn't be harmful to think out loud. :D
  • Bridge Officers - Since we are able to assign our BOffs positions (first officer, chief medical officer, etc.), I was hoping that those assignments will be followed in our ship interiors. Right now, they seem to be randomly assigned.
  • Crew Uniforms - Maybe allow us to set our DOff uniforms through the tailor or replicator (more on that later). Maybe assign standard slots to customize uniforms for Command, Science/Medical and Operations/Security at the tailor, then randomly assign these uniforms to your ship's crew.
  • Replicators At Quarters/Ready Room - Add Tailor functionality in these replicators so that we can customize our look for missions without having to go back to a Starbase. This can also encourage buying costume packs since costume customization will be more accessible.
  • Beaming Into Bridge - If entering the starship bridge from space (Sector or System), remove the beam-in animation. We're already supposed to be in the bridge afterall. If beaming in from the ground (planetary or space station), beam us in through the ship's transporters and allow us to beam out from there as well.

Since my current favorite is the Intrepid/Pathfinder/Voyager interior, here are some suggestions specific to it:
  • Engineering - Allow us to visit the second level around the warp core. I recall that on the official thread, Cryptic said this functionality will be added in, but it never was.
  • Crew - Reduce the number of crew moving around the ship corridors. There was never that many crew running around in the show, even in the middle of a battle. Maybe 5 or so crew members (excluding those in their stations within the rooms) moving around per deck is enough.
  • A Holodeck would be nice. The assets for the room already exists elsewhere. Maybe make it so we can replay episodes in the Holodeck.

I'd love to hear other player ideas. Again, I know that there are other pressing matters (such as bug fixes and game balancing). This thread is just to discuss various ship interior feature ideas so that when the time comes that Cryptic gets resources freed up to create additional ship content, or if they come up with new interiors, they'd at least know what the players are looking for. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,477 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    People have been wanting something akin to a customizable "Home" for our characters. In a way... that is what our ship interiors is. Just not exactly customizable. Other than trophies... the only customization we have is what type of bridge and how big the internal layout is.

I do agree that we need some more functionality in the interiors to give incentive to use them more.

I wouldn't mind being able to do a few things on board our ships to make it feel a bit more imersive, but as a choice. Not mandatory. If people want to continue as they are now, that's fine. But at least allow the option.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd be happy if the Romulan interiors were just brought up to par with teh Fed and Klingon, IE trophies,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • tordesignstordesigns Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    this would be nice to see taken further
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Or pay for various customizable interior options.

1. Choose "standard" uniform aboard ship (Eng/Sci/Tac). 2000 Zen.

2. Choose "standard" crew activity aboard ship (Sitting/Working/Walking) by %. 1000 Zen.

3. Choose BOff positions as a "rally point" type command (Sitting/Working/Standing) 1000 Zen.

4. Choose locations of ship board services (Bank/Acct. Bank/Library Comp./DOff's/Exchange/etc.). 2000 Zen.

5. Trophie locations (just add those that are missing, notably VOY- (2) in ready room, Tufli Freighter,
    and Romulan interiors). ??? Zen.

I think some of the above would be nice, as I spend quite a lot of time in my ship interiors.
    Thing is we have no way to know what the scope of work would be to achieve these things.
    Hense, my Zen costs are just a "Shot in the Dark". :o

And would Cryptic/PWE be confident that regardless of what they can do, would the
    effort be profitable? A very large issue.

BCW. :)
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    In the spirit of role-playing (that's what "RP" in MMORPG" stands for after all), I'd like to share some ideas/requests for features within starship interiors. Starship interiors have always been a major part of the Star Trek shows, and I was hoping to see some of these happen in the future. Now I know there are a lot of more pressing matters for the developers, but it wouldn't be harmful to think out loud. :D
    • Bridge Officers - Since we are able to assign our BOffs positions (first officer, chief medical officer, etc.), I was hoping that those assignments will be followed in our ship interiors. Right now, they seem to be randomly assigned.
    • Crew Uniforms - Maybe allow us to set our DOff uniforms through the tailor or replicator (more on that later). Maybe assign standard slots to customize uniforms for Command, Science/Medical and Operations/Security at the tailor, then randomly assign these uniforms to your ship's crew.
    • Replicators At Quarters/Ready Room - Add Tailor functionality in these replicators so that we can customize our look for missions without having to go back to a Starbase. This can also encourage buying costume packs since costume customization will be more accessible.
    • Beaming Into Bridge - If entering the starship bridge from space (Sector or System), remove the beam-in animation. We're already supposed to be in the bridge afterall. If beaming in from the ground (planetary or space station), beam us in through the ship's transporters and allow us to beam out from there as well.

Since my current favorite is the Intrepid/Pathfinder/Voyager interior, here are some suggestions specific to it:
    • Engineering - Allow us to visit the second level around the warp core. I recall that on the official thread, Cryptic said this functionality will be added in, but it never was.
    • Crew - Reduce the number of crew moving around the ship corridors. There was never that many crew running around in the show, even in the middle of a battle. Maybe 5 or so crew members (excluding those in their stations within the rooms) moving around per deck is enough.
    • A Holodeck would be nice. The assets for the room already exists elsewhere. Maybe make it so we can replay episodes in the Holodeck.

I'd love to hear other player ideas. Again, I know that there are other pressing matters (such as bug fixes and game balancing). This thread is just to discuss various ship interior feature ideas so that when the time comes that Cryptic gets resources freed up to create additional ship content, or if they come up with new interiors, they'd at least know what the players are looking for. :)

these things have been asked for over and over and over for years, and cryptic hasnt budged. it all seems like pretty obvious stuff for a trek game, but cryptic just dont see it.
    what you see is what you get.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Or pay for various customizable interior options.

1. Choose "standard" uniform aboard ship (Eng/Sci/Tac). 2000 Zen.

2. Choose "standard" crew activity aboard ship (Sitting/Working/Walking) by %. 1000 Zen.

3. Choose BOff positions as a "rally point" type command (Sitting/Working/Standing) 1000 Zen.

4. Choose locations of ship board services (Bank/Acct. Bank/Library Comp./DOff's/Exchange/etc.). 2000 Zen.

5. Trophie locations (just add those that are missing, notably VOY- (2) in ready room, Tufli Freighter,
    and Romulan interiors). ??? Zen.

I think some of the above would be nice, as I spend quite a lot of time in my ship interiors.
    Thing is we have no way to know what the scope of work would be to achieve these things.
    Hense, my Zen costs are just a "Shot in the Dark". :o

And would Cryptic/PWE be confident that regardless of what they can do, would the
    effort be profitable? A very large issue.

BCW. :)

I'd actually pay for Zen for some of those stuff too. Starbase functionalities such as BOff trainers, Exchange, Bank would be really nice. :) And yes I would also pay for crew costume slots.
  • touriktourik Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree with those suggestions e30ernest - in particular the oft-requested Crew uniform assignment. It's great, really great to be able to set the uniforms of our toon and officers, but looks odd when the rest of the crew run around in something else! If they were going to do one thing only, I'd choose that. Would I pay zen as suggested elsewhere in the thread? Yeah, I think so.

ASnother thing that's bugged me for some time that I'd love to see, or rather hear, added: sound in engineering. All of the TNG era shows had that distinctine Warp Core 'thrum' noise, but our engine rooms are silent in spite of the massive warp core in the middle of the room! One would think it'd be a comparatively easy thing to add, and would add a bit more atmosphere to the currently quite lifeless interiors.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would love those things, I'd pay some zen for adding more custom rp stuff...

like a toilet!
    edited March 2015
    tourik wrote: »
    ASnother thing that's bugged me for some time that I'd love to see, or rather hear, added: sound in engineering. All of the TNG era shows had that distinctine Warp Core 'thrum' noise, but our engine rooms are silent in spite of the massive warp core in the middle of the room!

In my Intrepid's interior Engineering has that nice familiar (and to me, relaxing) thrum from the warp core. I'll check my other ships if the sound isn't present.

Edit: You are right, my other ships have engineering sections that are as silent as a morgue.

Another thing I noticed, on the Intrepid interior, your helmsman also serves as a ship selector NPC. From the Intrepid, I can select any of my starrships and shuttlecraft. On my other bridges, I can only select between my shuttle or current starship.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    In my Intrepid's interior Engineering has that nice familiar (and to me, relaxing) thrum from the warp core. I'll check my other ships if the sound isn't present.

Edit: You are right, my other ships have engineering sections that are as silent as a morgue.

Another thing I noticed, on the Intrepid interior, your helmsman also serves as a ship selector NPC. From the Intrepid, I can select any of my starrships and shuttlecraft. On my other bridges, I can only select between my shuttle or current starship.

my father was a mariner, so when i was younger i used to essentially hitch-hike about on ships and, more frequently, tugboats. the diesel engines vibrate the ships steel and produce a similar thrum throughout the entire vessel, and yes it is relaxing. sort of like mums heartbeat or whatnot. i would get used to its constant drone, and it was the one thing absent my first nights landside. it was actually hard to sleep without it.
    edited April 2015
    Another idea...

With the outstanding design of the Galaxy and the awesome work that went into the Pathfinder and its interior, I think the artists and devs involved in building these ships should get some credit. Why not use the ship's dedication plaque for that? Make the plaque interactable and display the following in a window (similar to how those memorial plaques in SFA):
    • Ship Name
    • Registry Number
    • Ship Class
    • Stardate Launchdate (in-game stardate?)
    • List of developers and artists involved in creating the ship and its interiors (if available).

The pop-up should make it easier to add custom stuff like ship names, registry numbers and commission dates in the same way quest dialogs can get our rank and names correctly. The actual plaque on the wall could just be a blurred out graphic.