test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A New Science Boff Power Appears!

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Odds of being able to maintain it for ten seconds on a target in PvP would be highly unlikely. They'd either be out of arc, vanish, stun you, placate you, somebody else would stun you, somebody would kill you, or somebody would kill them.
    also how long is it after you take resists into account?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmm, most interesting find there.
    It might not; it seems be another counter to DPS'ing, which the Devs supposedly hate.

Now one can only hope, right?

I may be very well a new lock box aditions like the kit modules were. Now I think they will put training manuals in there. But can also be an unique power from the new Herald enemies. Maybe the boss will have it (wich would be pretty awsome) and its tested first from player vs player point of view.
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Odds of being able to maintain it for ten seconds on a target in PvP would be highly unlikely. They'd either be out of arc, vanish, stun you, placate you, somebody else would stun you, somebody would kill you, or somebody would kill them.

I don't know but i can imagine some situations were it will be possible to maintain a lock if you are a sci using a fast ship like wells for example and you are fighting an engineer in a cruiser.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Agreed with resists that will be less than a second in PvP.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He can't train it yet, as I understood it. So the screesnshot is all the info he can give you.

FOr the record, it uses the Deflector Dish system, so it should share cooldowns by:
    • Energy Siphon
    • Gravity Well
    • Photonic Shockwave
    • Tachyon Beam
    • Tyken's Rift
    Which means its use would lock out the other powers for 15 seconds.

That's what I'm thinking... but with the cool downs on Grav Well and Tyken's Rift... it could fill the gap in there for a more attacky/cc rotation of powers...

that said I don't see this skill remaining as it's listed... as others have put out it does too many things too well... and sets them up too well for a follow through.

Hell I can see sending this thing off, then flying in and grabbing them with a doffed TBR to finish them off, especially since it's resistances are offline... and it can't fire back at you while you do it...

instant KABOOM...

actually let me take that back... it'll either remain as listed when it goes live and then get nerfed just before season 11.. like SS...

or it'll be nerfed before gonig live...

Either way the nerfing will make it worthless until the super-tiny science ship flying community finally makes it voice heard.. somewhere around season 23 or so... then it'll get buffed back up to these numbers... then finally balanced out... somewhere around season 30 or so.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He can't train it yet, as I understood it. So the screesnshot is all the info he can give you.

FOr the record, it uses the Deflector Dish system, so it should share cooldowns by:
    • Energy Siphon
    • Gravity Well
    • Photonic Shockwave
    • Tachyon Beam
    • Tyken's Rift
    Which means its use would lock out the other powers for 15 seconds.

Hate to burst your bubble there chief.

Some of those powers don't have shared cooldowns anymore.

Gravity Well doesn't cause cooldown on Tachyon Beam, or Energy Siphon, and neither of those cause cooldowns on the others.

I'm personally hoping this new power doesn't trip any cooldowns either. Bring on the Exotic Damage.
    edited March 2015
    Hate to burst your bubble there chief.

Some of those powers don't have shared cooldowns anymore.

Gravity Well doesn't cause cooldown on Tachyon Beam, or Energy Siphon, and neither of those cause cooldowns on the others.

I'm personally hoping this new power doesn't trip any cooldowns either. Bring on the Exotic Damage.

Have you seen that thing... it's almost mandatory it share a cooldown with some of that...

Most likely because it's a "beam" it'll most likely share a cooldown withTachyon Beam and Energy Siphon.
    edited March 2015
    Tachyon Beam and Energy Siphon don't share cooldowns...

If it shares a cooldown with Tachyon Beam? Whatever, I don't even use Tachyon Beam.

More Shield Bypassing Exotic Crits plox.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting.. so we're finally getting a Space version of -Thermic Induction Field.

Why does it smell like something that will only be available via Herald Lockbox?
    edited March 2015
    Tachyon Beam and Energy Siphon don't share cooldowns...

If it shares a cooldown with Tachyon Beam? Whatever, I don't even use Tachyon Beam.

More Shield Bypassing Exotic Crits plox.

Your right... it should have read OR not AND... my typo...

Still be careful what you wish for... remember Cryptic has a very heavy hand when it comes to nerfs... and they seem to have an slightly unfair bias against exotic damage... as shown by their nerf of Grav Well and how Part Gens effect it, especially at the high end.

Anything that would be competative against energy weapons in the dps grind... and/or tactical captains in space.. can simply not happen... and when they nerf... they tend to go way to far into the "worthless" catagory (see what happened for viral matrix).

The problem here is that there's a good, good chance Cryptic will not see this as a problem with just this one power... but with all exotic damage... and nerf it to hell and back...

though admittedly Cryptic has been in a decent way making decent exotic damage buffing traits... all it takes is one power to send their precious metrics too far and WHAM... nerf to science captains again...

This power could be a god send to us science captains... or if done in the usual mediocre way that Cryptic tends to do when they make new powers that compete with energy weapon/tactical captain supremecy... it can end up being a curse.
    edited March 2015
    The biggest reason Cryptic is afraid of Exotic damage came from way back, when Sci powers were first nerfed.

Why were they nerfed? Tac Captains.

APA + GDF boosts ALL Damage, including Exotic. Tac Captains were jacking insane numbers out of Photonic Shockwave 3 with their Tac Buffs.

So Cryptic nerfed Sci Powers instead of just decoupling APA and GDF and the like from Exotic Damage.

Change APA and such to Weapons Damage, and suddenly the nerf never needed to happen.

Yes, I'm sure they'll nerf this into the ground, because a Tac Captain in a Sci Vessel will pop their Tac Buffs (stacked with all other +All Damage buffs) and do something like 20-40k a tick with this new power.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The biggest reason Cryptic is afraid of Exotic damage came from way back, when Sci powers were first nerfed.

Why were they nerfed? Tac Captains.

APA + GDF boosts ALL Damage, including Exotic. Tac Captains were jacking insane numbers out of Photonic Shockwave 3 with their Tac Buffs.

So Cryptic nerfed Sci Powers instead of just decoupling APA and GDF and the like from Exotic Damage.

Change APA and such to Weapons Damage, and suddenly the nerf never needed to happen.

Yes, I'm sure they'll nerf this into the ground, because a Tac Captain in a Sci Vessel will pop their Tac Buffs (stacked with all other +All Damage buffs) and do something like 20-40k a tick with this new power.

You said it! Tac buffs have ruined exotic damage for Science Captains. They are also why Aceton Beam and Eject Warp Plasma can't be more powerful.