test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A New Science Boff Power Appears!

mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
Current Tribble Build has revealed a new secret: Destabilizing Resonance Beam science BOff power:

http://imgur.com/ExPPjde

Rank 1 starts at lieutenant, rank 3 is commander. Damage scales with Auxiliary power and Particle Generators skill. Disable scales with Subspace Decompiler skill. Procs Deteriorating Secondary Deflectors' Radiation DoT.

Not available at BOff trainer/maunal vendor, Captain made manuals are unavailable on tribble currently. Speculation: Lockbox rewarded BOff power.

Tactical, Engineering, Intelligence, and Command have no new BOff powers as of this tribble build.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I find it weird that after years of not adding new boff powers for the three base classes they would start doing so now.

There were rumors about a month ago that a science based specialization was being worked on. Any chance this could be part of that?
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hope this is true. Adding new powers to standard classes seems like a great idea. Especially to balance with new specialization powers.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mreeves7a wrote: »
    Current Tribble Build has revealed a new secret: Destabilizing Resonance Beam science BOff power:

http://imgur.com/ExPPjde

Rank 1 starts at lieutenant, rank 3 is commander. Damage scales with Auxiliary power and Particle Generators skill. Disable scales with Subspace Decompiler skill. Procs Deteriorating Secondary Deflectors' Radiation DoT.

Not available at BOff trainer/maunal vendor, Captain made manuals are unavailable on tribble currently. Speculation: Lockbox rewarded BOff power.

Tactical, Engineering, Intelligence, and Command have no new BOff powers as of this tribble build.

I would LOVE to see NPCs use stuff like that :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xparr15 wrote: »
    I hope this is true. Adding new powers to standard classes seems like a great idea. Especially to balance with new specialization powers.

Course starting with the the BOFFs with the most available abilities kind of comes off as a nyuk-nyuk-nyuk kind of thing. :(

Hrmm, wonder if there's anything else there...guess I'll have to go look.

edit: Nope, only one there.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If they're working on new powers, then Engineering abilities could do with a couple more. Could probably even place some (like Polarize Hull) from SCI to ENG. I do wonder though whether this new one has been categorized incorrectly?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I predict cause i am lucky like that.. that because engineering is my favourite archetype in this game that they will add skills to science and tactical and ignore engineers just like the ignore a lot of klingon uniqueness and try to mush them into the fed template

I hate tacticals with a passion and feds with a passion so by default I am pretty much screwed gameplay wise from the get go lol
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ummax wrote: »
    I predict cause i am lucky like that.. that because engineering is my favourite archetype in this game that they will add skills to science and tactical and ignore engineers just like the ignore a lot of klingon uniqueness and try to mush them into the fed template

I hate tacticals with a passion and feds with a passion so by default I am pretty much screwed gameplay wise from the get go lol
    Dude, you can't get any more unlucky. :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    Dude, you can't get any more unlucky. :P

Imagine if he also wanted to fly a Bird-of-Prey, eh? ;)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh, interesting. I wonder if that is just a misplaced power from a new specialization, but it sounds very ... sciency. (Or could it be something from an NPC?)

Come on Cryptic, if you just want to alienate ummax, just delete his account "accidentally" and then add some cool engineering powers.

Heck, maybe not even add new ones - just make some of the existing ones more useful - Aceton Beam and Boarding Party have been terrible for too long. Do something to Eject Warp Plasma that makes it better useable on Cruisers and compete better with a power like Gravity Well.
    Then adding a small engineering ensign and upwards power (maybe something based on "Weapon Modification", so it doesn'T conflict with all the other powers) perhaps?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited March 2015
    Imagine if he also wanted to fly a Bird-of-Prey, eh? ;)

sniff .. or a carrier :(
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does it have shared CDs?

Hows the damage compared to a GW3?

Dont leave the important parts out.

I can see the sympathy toward BoPs, but Carriers? Most carriers are medium-to-upper class ships. Even the Attrox and Voquvs can dish out quite heavily.
    edited March 2015

Be honest. You used Surgical Strikes, too,right? And used to PvP a lot?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Physical damage huh? Oh goodie. :rolleyes:
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm a tac

So nerf it now! ALL science is op and needs nerfing - Why should my gunship be stopped by a mere six gunned target skeet? (looking at you, Nebula)

-cough- couldn't resist :D
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Does it have shared CDs?

Can't actually use the power, no way to obtain it currently. Tooltip states: "System: Deflector Dish" which is used by Tachyon Beam, Gravity Well, Tyken's Rift, and Energy Siphon, so it may share CD with some *or* all of them.

Damage wise, at high Aux/way high part gens, it has about 33% over GW3, but GW3 wins for total possible damage (GW3 duration is 20 seconds, DRB3 is 10 seconds).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Engineers could use some damage abilities, they have far fewer than the other professions, tactical could use some cc (has to be good to even get a look though, current skills are basically mandatory)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2015
    Does it have shared CDs?

He can't train it yet, as I understood it. So the screesnshot is all the info he can give you.

FOr the record, it uses the Deflector Dish system, so it should share cooldowns by:
    • Energy Siphon
    • Gravity Well
    • Photonic Shockwave
    • Tachyon Beam
    • Tyken's Rift
    Which means its use would lock out the other powers for 15 seconds.
    edited March 2015

I can see the sympathy toward BoPs, but Carriers? Most carriers are medium-to-upper class ships. Even the Attrox and Voquvs can dish out quite heavily.

i love the voguv's but it would be nice to see some t6 birds of preys and a t6 carrier lol. I know this makes me evil wanting to keep klingons klingony but whatevers :)

I have 3 engineers, 2 sci and one tactical and never play the tactical really and one of the sci's is a fed and i just find the fed side to be too sterile

I had planned on creating yet another klingon engineer for the delta thing :/ So yes I am doomed especially if i am a player who enjoys klingon engineers in carriers which I do.

I can't see them not releasing t6 bop's this is a given to me. The one that is not a given is the carrier which I would like an update on you know i have zens to spend and purchased a ship for my fed sci guy that I never use .. and am patiently waiting for something my army of klingon engineers will use which for me would be a carrier
    Be honest. You used Surgical Strikes, too,right? And used to PvP a lot?

yes this nerf is my fault cause I pvp'ed when the game was new and levelled my klingons using pvp (was mostly ground pvp though.. LoL I liked engineers and still do.. )
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    burstorion wrote: »
    I'm a tac

So nerf it now! ALL science is op and needs nerfing - Why should my gunship be stopped by a mere six gunned target skeet? (looking at you, Nebula)

-cough- couldn't resist :D

I'm a Tac and need a break from just playing Tac.

More Sci debuffs like this please. And preferably with no nerfing, since they refuse to nerf the HP/Res of NPCs, may as well at least be able to lock them down some other way.

And maybe a few more Eng Buffs and occasional debuffs or light damage abilities (EWP, BP, and AB for example, though the latter two need buffs).
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Engineers could use some damage abilities, they have far fewer than the other professions, tactical could use some cc (has to be good to even get a look though, current skills are basically mandatory)

While I agree about the Engineering part I disagree about the Tac part, tac has always been the most dominant and most cared for in this game, other than SST everything tac has works great...can't say that about Sci, Eng, Intel, or Command.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why would tacs complain? The thing is over 1000 damage per tick, 10 ticks, just in the store tooltip. Once you add on a couple hundred partigens, Particle Manipulator, and tac buffs, this ability is going to hit like a doffed TBR, only in this case its physical damage with a resistance debuff on top. If they release this ability like this, it'll be the SS argument all over again.
  • sentinelbluesentinelblue Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looks like they just took hyper rad from ground and made it a space power.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Another space power dealing physical damage? It's broken already.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A 4.6 secs weapons disable!? Hahaha! I can already hear the PvP Community cry for a nerf. :) This will go the way of Ionic Turbulence, mark my words!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Odds are it wont stay like this...they love to nerf anything that isn't Tactical...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    NOT SO FAST!!! :mad:

WE IN THE PVP COMMUNITY ARE MAKING THE CASE TO GET THIS NERFED ASAP.

AHAHHAHHAHA!! epic post
    edited March 2015
    Commander level TS4, FaW4, BO4, THY4, Tachyon Beam 4, Tractor Beam 4, HE4, Tac/Sci/Eng Team 4? Yes please.

Along with new abilities that are PvE-centric and already pre-coded to be PvP useless. So that the Devs won't have an excuse to arbitrarily nerf things just to appease a minority, nor use the excuse that they don't have time to go back and code separate PvE/PvP effects or durations for all general skills.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    A 4.6 secs weapons disable!? Hahaha! I can already hear the PvP Community cry for a nerf. :) This will go the way of Ionic Turbulence, mark my words!

As it should. ;)
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

edited March 2015
    It might not; it seems be another counter to DPS'ing, which the Devs supposedly hate.

In addition, probably another means of dealing with their ridiculous NPCs who are likely capable of living long enough to get a full 10 stacks on, compared to players who, in PvP, are more likely to die before you get all 10 stacks on them.
    edited March 2015

Odds of being able to maintain it for ten seconds on a target in PvP would be highly unlikely. They'd either be out of arc, vanish, stun you, placate you, somebody else would stun you, somebody would kill you, or somebody would kill them.