test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to Play in Afternoon/Evening - Help?

For a little over a week now, I've been experiencing horrible lag and multiple disconnects whenever I try to play between 3pm and 7pm EST. I've no problems elsewhere on the web; just in STO. Never had problems like this until recently either. I've made no changes to my system or hardware or software or anything else. I've released/renewed my IP but beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do to try and fix this. Anyone have any programs I can run to try to track down the problem?
Post edited by wilsonfrontier on

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are you using T/W internet by any chance?

Rumor has it that they are some how throttling their customers connections at peak times.

I have Time/Warner (NY Capital District) high speed and I have found over the last few months that my streaming of videos is intensely effected from about 3pm to midnight.

At first I thought my Wi-Fi router was being compromised some how, but further investigation has shown me that it's my internet connection speed.

Of course when I call T/W to complain, they tell me it's at my end.

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For a little over a week now, I've been experiencing horrible lag and multiple disconnects whenever I try to play between 3pm and 7pm EST. I've no problems elsewhere on the web; just in STO. Never had problems like this until recently either. I've made no changes to my system or hardware or software or anything else. I've released/renewed my IP but beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do to try and fix this. Anyone have any programs I can run to try to track down the problem?

Sounds like your ISP is throttling/packet-shaping certain types of internet traffic during that period (it's probably pegged as a 'high concurrent usage' period.) You can call and talk to them (ie complain); but it's a TRIBBLE shoot as to whether it will affect any policy change on their end if that's what's occurring.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • wilsonfrontierwilsonfrontier Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why would it be all of a sudden though?

My only theory to that is coinciding with the FCC passing net neutrality standards and pissing off all the ISPs by denying them the ability to TRIBBLE us worse than they do...

I've got Comcast and haven't had any significant complaints with them for the 10 or so years I've had them (other than pricing/expense).

Seems weird for this problem to just appear out of no where.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi,

i've been experiencing the same kind of problems in my own timezone (CET), horrible lag after 1 pm, or after 10 am today. Since i've not the same ISP as american players, and do not play in the same hours, i strongly suspect this sudden lag problems have all to do with the CC event. It seems that the login and game server are unable to manage the large number of simultaneous players and the large number of demands to the login server when people switch alts to do the CC events with all of them. Proof is that when you try to play when most of the players in the world / your timezone are sleeping / at work / not playing, there's no lag and no disconnects.

So the problem is not on your computer and probably not from your ISP, it is on Cryptic's servers. Hope that we will not have the same kind of problems when Delta Recruitment Event will start, as a large number of players will try to create or play their Delta Recruit at the same time.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi, another European here and I've had the same problem in the same timeinterval (corrected for the differences in timezones). Thursday the lag/'cannot connect to server' got so bad around 6pm (your time) that I gave up.
    So it seems most likely to be something at Cryptic's end.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • sitaillyriasitaillyria Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yes, no doubt about the perfect world's responsability in these worries.

fleet's members here in France have the same problem, just like i do... especially this week.

no bad answers about isp's , please, it's not a correct way to work on fixing these problems, wich are existing since months now !

WORK about a solution instead of running out, thanks in advance .
  • dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's Cogentco that throttles EU connections when they suffer on the load.
    Most times it can be solved using one of the proxies. How ever, it only solves so much when the traffic starts to blow up those connections.
    PWE/I should find another backbone that doesn't have major traffic like Netflix (and/or whatever they have), such hoggin the lines.
    And it's easy to prove the Cogentco problems. Every time my lag starts, the ping hits the roof on the first connections to Cogentco servers and only gets worse.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm having this problem for month now...

and no its not connection/ping related (for me) its the sto servers themselves
  • dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm having this problem for month now...

and no its not connection/ping related (for me) its the sto servers themselves

That was for the OP.

I've been having (connection) stability issues with the servers as well for a very long time. 1+ year and we are many. Random disconnects, server timeouts running for several minutes (up to 30 minutes) before finally disconnecting.
    PWE seems to either be unable or simply just doesn't care about fixing it. Every *fix* they have come up with solves nothing, a few peoples connections for a couple of days, or makes it even worse.

I'm pretty much giving up on this game. I'm really trying to stay with it and suck it up, but it gets more and more problematic to do so.